• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

How is the future arc quality-wise? I loved Graces, but never played the future arc since I played it on Wii and don't really feel like replaying the entire game just to get to a 6-10 hour new arc. Is it worth replaying all of Graces just to check it out?

The future arc is great. Pretty much on the same level as the main arc. Is it worth replaying the entire game just for this arc ? Only you knows the answer to this question. For me, yes it's totally worth it. I eat this game like it's my favorite meal.

Okay I just fought
Richard in Lhant
. How far in am I? A third, maybe half way?

A third, maybe 2/5

I sure understand you on that front. I never feel like these games are too long. I could easily spend hundreds of hours with these characters.

I often want the story to wrap up, but continue playing the game after that. This game is a perfect example, the story actually feels like it goes on maybe about 10% longer than I'd like. Not much, but just a tad. But I totally see myself grinding titles and dualize after I'm done.

friend

By the way, what is anyone's feeling regarding the last dungeon ? I thought it was
quite good, albeit suffering from the "will you fucking finish already?!? GOD DAMN CAN ANYONE BELIEVE THIS SHIT ??? I CERTAINLY CAN'T" symptom near the end. I thought I was about to end it 2 hours before the actual ending. Still a great final dungeon though with the puzzle and all. I liked it. I just wasn't prepared for it to be as long as it was

So how do y'all deal with the bosses with multiple enemies on harder difficulties? I recall having a hellish time against the early 'slime king boss', the parasite thing in the giant sand monster, and the 2 hawks Richard brought.

Paracelsus

I often want the story to wrap up, but continue playing the game after that. This game is a perfect example, the story actually feels like it goes on maybe about 10% longer than I'd like. Not much, but just a tad. But I totally see myself grinding titles and dualize after I'm done.

So basically Vesperia.

So, since I am having troubles 60 seconding those
dragon thingys Richard brings along
on easy mode, I might as well wait till new game+ so I can curbstomp them and the rest of the bosses for those trophies.

I guess I'm ok with doing two playthroughs.

scy

So how do y'all deal with the bosses with multiple enemies on harder difficulties? I recall having a hellish time against the early 'slime king boss', the parasite thing in the giant sand monster, and the 2 hawks Richard brought.

Slime - Killed it without letting it split for the <60s kill. I think a few of my >60s times had a lot of slimes to deal with but they're not really an issue unless you get surrounded. If you're not aiming for the 60s kill, just take the time to kill the small spawns before switching back.

Parasites - Target: Leader's Target (though, first thing I set when I started playing was this, just comes in handy here) and then just focus burning them down one-by-one. Individually they're not really that big of a deal, just nasty it they stack damage on a single person and lock them up.

This was probably the most hectic fight in the game for me (on Chaos). The first attempt was horrible as I stupidly got stun locked into an enemy Eleth Burst and just let the wipe happen; the second shot was practically flawless, oddly :/ Would've been so, so easy with an Eleth Burst on my side though.

I did switch into spamming wide-hit B-Artes (as Asbel) with Malik, Pascal, and Cheria for as much area of effect damage as I could.

Dispaters - ...killed them? They don't really do anything special as far as I remember. The hardest part of them is starting a combo due to their hitbox. The fight just takes awhile but is basically danger-free. I did have to drop out of Chaos to get the <60s kill, though.

No one likes Hubert? He's so awesome.

I've been manually controlling him since he joined. Not sure how I'm going to go back to Asbel eventually :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hold on.

So... instead of Asbel continually saying "MAMORU MAMORU MAMORU", he says "FRIENDS FRIENDSHIP FRIENDS" now? :lol I actually think that's more acceptable.

I basically do absolutely nothing extra on Chaos. Bosses are essentially locked in place when they don't Burst. At most, I might use an item.

Really, if not for burst giving them staggerproof (and/or MAs to just drop someone), boss fights on Chaos aren't threatening at all. I think I'm approaching "that" boss, though, so we'll see if I still think the same after that.
That's exactly what I do. So fun. :3

I can answer that for you. No :(

The thing you're buying from PSN is literally the grade shop unlock. It even tells you in the description of the PSN item that if you have already unlocked the given thing in game, then the PSN purchase will have no effect.
Lame! So you can purchase the grade shop unlocks, but those unlocks don't use up grade to say you unlocked them, basically?

So... theoretically, you can purchase the unlocks, not use grade for them, and then use the grade for other stuff?

How is the future arc quality-wise? I loved Graces, but never played the future arc since I played it on Wii and don't really feel like replaying the entire game just to get to a 6-10 hour new arc. Is it worth replaying all of Graces just to check it out?
I've heard some bosses like
the final boss, Emeraude, Solomos, etc.
are more difficult in the PS3 version than the Wii version (can't talk from experience since I haven't played the Wii version).

You also get Accel Mode and Lv. 4 Blast Calibers, which is pretty great.

I think the f arc ending is nice as well.

No one likes Hubert? He's so awesome.
Hubert is the boss. I can't wait grind titles in the desert for him. I'd used him for most of my second playthrough, so it's kinda weird going back to Asbel again.

scy

Hold on.

So... instead of Asbel continually saying "MAMORU MAMORU MAMORU", he says "FRIENDS FRIENDSHIP FRIENDS" now? :lol I actually think that's more acceptable.

I think hearing this critique so much had me expecting Asbel to being spouting it every line or something. He seems perfectly fine to me.

Then again, maybe I just have so much time between story moments that the number of it per hour seems lower :x

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No, he still says protect all the time.
Wonderful. :/

cpp_is_king said:
Yep, exactly.
I almost think this idea is smart if you want to do a plat run on two playthroughs. Almost (because of cost incurred on your CC/PSN Spacebucks, etc).

RPG Crazied said:
Wait, there is level 4 blast calibers? I didn't even know the bar when past 3. I guess I missed those.
Wait, you mean you missed Pascal's amazing Level 4 BC? Oh no. Even though you got titles for Accel Mode, you had to do subevents to earn the Blast Calibers, much like what you had to do with the Level 3 ones.

And the more you use it the more damage it does. Press R2 to activate Accel Mode when it is at 100%, then activate the Lv 4 BC like how you would activate it normally.

scy said:
I think hearing this critique so much had me expecting Asbel to being spouting it every line or something. He seems perfectly fine to me.

Then again, maybe I just have so much time between story moments that the number of it per hour seems lower :x
I had a lot of time between story moments too on both of my playthroughs. He even said stuff like that when he wasn't in story scenes.

But as I posted before, I didn't mind Asbel in general outside of that quirk.

RPGCrazied

Wait, you mean you missed Pascal's amazing Level 4 BC? Oh no. Even though you got titles for Accel Mode, you had to do subevents to earn the Blast Calibers, much like what you had to do with the Level 3 ones.

Heh, I already had them. I'm just missing Sophies and Asbel's.

Esura

Banned
Backtracking in this game is unbearable. Its really killing the fun in this game. Also, there is too many unnecessary cutscenes. I know this should be pretty much close to the end and it feels like this game is trying its damnest to pad out this adventure longer than it should.

I like Sophie and all, shes my fav but I can only put up with so much
I'm sorry guys! I can't see! I FEEL COLD!!
stuff.

Neki

my team comp instantly got better when i switched pascal for Malik, which makes me sad because i love pascal. For some reason Malik has the least titles for some reason, forcing me to master titles i don't need, don't know why

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw, one of my favourite victory skits was changed a little. Oh well. It's still fine and it works better this way in English, but I usually got a kick when
Asbel curled up in the corner saying he won't cry.

Glad Tiger Festival was retained, though.

Too bad "Tropical Yahoo" wasn't retained even though it demonstrated how... odd Pascal is

Does anyone else other than Sophie have a revive spell? No reason not to use her if there isn't any other person who has one.
Cheria gets Resurrection.

Ultimoo said:
For some reason Malik has the least titles for some reason, forcing me to master titles i don't need, don't know why
That's what happened to me on my first playthrough. I ended up having to use him manually to get his titles.

Why does the gauge not go past 3? I have some level 4 blast calibers, but the bar won't go any higher than 3.
Press R2 to activate Accel Mode when the Accel Gauge is at 100%, then activate the Lv 4 BC like how you would activate it normally with L1.

That's what happened to me on my first playthrough. I ended up having to use him manually to get his titles.

Are you talking about Artes specific titles? If so, just go into the config screen and manually turn off the artes for every single ability but one, and when they learn the title, go turn on a different one, etc.

Perhaps not as easy as manually playing them though

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are you talking about Artes specific titles? If so, just go into the config screen and manually turn off the artes for every single ability but one, and when they learn the title, go turn on a different one, etc.

Perhaps not as easy as manually playing them though
That's what I did before controlling him manually. And I set him to B-only. :lol

It's odd because Malik doesn't usually need a lot for the artes titles. Usually about 25-40 for the adept and 200-300 for the master.

scy

Does anyone else other than Sophie have a revive spell? No reason not to use her if there isn't any other person who has one.

Life Bottles are just more convenient. Spending so much time to revive hurts.

Plus, food that revives on KO.

Aw, one of my favourite victory skits was changed a little. Oh well. It's still fine and it works better this way in English, but I usually got a kick when
Asbel curled up in the corner saying he won't cry.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it makes more sense with the
coordination comment I think. Still one of my favorite skits and I'm sad I won't see it that often since I'll never use those four together again :x

coordination comment I think. Still one of my favorite skits and I'm sad I won't see it that often since I'll never use those four together again :x

True, but having it JIC is nice.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just want the trophy at this point, so I'm EZ mode Zhonecage. I'm on floor 6 now. :p
LOL. Watch out for the final boss of the Zone Cage. That one's fun.

Yeah, I always threw life bottles whenever someone died because it's faster than waiting for Sophie/Cheria to cast the spell.

As for that victory quote, it was originally...
The joke was that Asbel would always say, "We will never lose!" at the end of battle. So when Asbel started doing that in the skit, the girls butt in and cut him off, with Cheria going, "Lose!", Pascal: "Perish!", Sophie: "Be defeated!" And then Asbel sits in the corner saying, "Cry even if we're left out."

It usually made me chuckle when it came up, but the English version's good too! It works with the second version with Pascal/Malik/Hubert really well since
Asbel says that there isn't any coordination, period during that one

BTW, they need to bring this Pascal costume over as DLC because it makes me laugh.

scy

As for that victory quote, it was originally...
The joke was that Asbel would say, "We will never lose!" at the end of battle. So when Asbel started doing that in the skit, the girls butt in and cut him off, with Cheria going, "Lose!", Pascal: "Perish!", Sophie: "Be defeated!" And then Asbel sits in the corner saying, "Cry even if we're left out."

Well, there's a few skits that do the
Group: We're amazing! or whatever that the girl trio can't get right so at least there's some consistency for the English ones
. I'll try subbing in to Pascal/Malik/Hubert and see what they say.

I have no words.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, there's a few skits that do the
Group: We're amazing! or whatever that the girl trio can't get right so at least there's some consistency for the English ones
. I'll try subbing in to Pascal/Malik/Hubert and see what they say.
Well, it's still funny nonetheless. I was kinda expecting something else for that one, given how the JP version went, that's all. Malik/Pascal/Hubert probably say something similar to what they did in the JP version since the thing is about coordination and they had none and sounded bored with the entire thing.

Does Asbel even shout "I won't lose!" during the victory stuff in this version? From what I can tell (though I'm still really early), he sorta doesn't, which is rather nice and allows for more variation. All "makenai" ever did was make me think of that Sailor Stars song. :lol

I have no words.
You can't deny how amazing the Toro costume is!

I can't hear what he's saying personally, but it's apparently Tremorous Celestial Thundering Spreading Light of Cyclonic Butchery.
Sounds manly.

scy

Well, it's still funny nonetheless. I was kinda expecting something else for that one, given how the JP version went, that's all. Malik/Pascal/Hubert probably say something similar to what they did in the JP version since the thing is about coordination and they had none and sounded bored with the entire thing.

Well, I'll check anyway :x

Does Asbel even shout "I won't lose!" during the victory stuff in this version? From what I can tell (though I'm still really early), he sorta doesn't, which is rather nice and allows for more variation. All "makenai" ever did was make me think of that Sailor Stars song. :lol

Hm ... I want to say that he does say "I won't lose!" occasionally, but I honestly can't say if it's in a lot of win quotes, one win quote in particular, or in-combat itself.

You can't deny how amazing the Toro costume is!

It is amazing, I'll say that much. That said, D3 had Toro DLC that were actually not allowed for release outside of Japan, I believe, so ... :(

Rarutos

This might be a dumb question, but how does one execute Malik's 4th Blast Caliber if he's constantly kicking throughout his Accel Mode? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :eek:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This might be a dumb question, but how does one execute Malik's 4th Blast Caliber if he's constantly kicking throughout his Accel Mode? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :eek:
I was usually close to an enemy when I activated it and I held L1 after activation.

scy said:
Hm ... I want to say that he does say "I won't lose!" occasionally, but I honestly can't say if it's in a lot of win quotes, one win quote in particular, or in-combat itself.
He seems to say variations of it, but it's better this time around, I think. Honestly, I think in-battle English Asbel sounds a little better than cutscene English Asbel at the moment. Probably due to all that Dissidia practice!

It is amazing, I'll say that much. That said, D3 had Toro DLC that were actually not allowed for release outside of Japan, I believe, so ... :(
Boooooooo! But the Toro DLC for this game is the bomb. :/

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The combat in this game is really really really good, this is the first Tales that I'm enjoying. How everything comes together gameplay wise, is might impressive. The design is very tight and rewarding.

If this was TD last game, then they went out with a bang. Games like this remind me why JP devs are still ahead of the curve when it comes to battle mechanics in rpgs.

At this point I'm about to
break into that Fendel Tower place, just met Pascal's sister.

I'm pretty much used to the battle system now, I still don't like it compared to Vesperia/Abyss though. Asbel still doesn't bother me, I don't get the hate for him. And Sophie is awesome and adorable. Cheria is pretty terrible at times though, even after
she stopped being a douchebag
her constantly going on about her "I had a crush on a kid when I was 11 and now it's love because I'm a stereotype" thing with Asbel is REALLY fucking annoying. What's worse is that
I already know he ends up with her in the end, so they're gonna keep pushing this bullshit. Ugh
. Just show me more heartwarming Asbel/Sophie interactions and tell her to GTFO.

Top Bottom