• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Sagitario

Define "actual DLC."
There's cheats (like 2x SP gain, etc.) and there's costumes.

That's what I meant. I figured it would be like the JPN "DLC", but I had no idea it was already available.

I wish I could play it right now, but I won't be able until Saturday :|

Is there any way to check the store without using my PS3? I am curious about the DLC.

That's what I meant. I figured it would be like the JPN "DLC", but I had no idea it was already available.

I wish I could play it right now, but I won't be able until Saturday :|

Is there any way to check the store without using my PS3? I am curious about the DLC.

No, you have to check your PS3. But just to give you an idea, here's the ones I remember off the top of my head (some may be missing)

Grade Shop Unlocks
------------------------
HP +1000
Max Eleth+500
CC+1
CC+2
Enemy Drop Rate+
Eleth Mixer Efficiency Up (Consumable items only)
SP x2
Dualize Price 1/4

Costumes
-----------
One for each character I think (also comes with a title)

Other
------
Rare Material Pack (just gives you 12 assorted items for dualizing)
Eleth Mixer Book Pack (gives you like 6-8 books you can put in your mixer, however all books appear in the game normally, just not easy to find in all cases)
Gold+1000
Level+5
Level+5
Level+5 (this appears 3 times so you can buy it 3 separate times for a total of +15)

The book pack is quite useful, one of the books increases the rate at which your eleth mixer levels up.

Paches

Winter Boar Boss:

What a cool fight spoiled by dumbass AI. Can't even count how many times I had a healer just sit there casting and wind up getting blasted by the horn charge and getting either 1 shotted or brought to near death levels. I guess I could have bounced back control, but I was too busy trying to get the stupid things attention with a petrify attack, but it would just spam charge move and run away :( . The rest of the fight was really satisfying and I loved the phase changes.

Datschge

There's still people that make TD games what they are.

As long as they're still there in lead roles, it's possible to have a Tales game with the "Team Destiny spirit" to some degree.
The question is how many of them are left after the dissolution of NTS and the creation of NBS. We already know that Yasuyuki Sawadaishi is out, that was THE one art director at Tales Studio, having been involved in all Tales games from the very beginning and art director of all TD games. The TS games (+ Xillia) on the other hand had Namco people as art directors. Well, as long as Tatsuro Udo is still there... *prays*

Sagitario

No, you have to check your PS3. But just to give you an idea, here's the ones I remember off the top of my head (some may be missing)

Grade Shop Unlocks
------------------------
HP +1000
Max Eleth+500
CC+1
CC+2
Enemy Drop Rate+
Eleth Mixer Efficiency Up (Consumable items only)
SP x2
Dualize Price 1/4

Costumes
-----------
One for each character I think (also comes with a title)

Other
------
Rare Material Pack (just gives you 12 assorted items for dualizing)
Eleth Mixer Book Pack (gives you like 6-8 books you can put in your mixer, however all books appear in the game normally, just not easy to find in all cases)
Gold+1000
Level+5
Level+5
Level+5 (this appears 3 times so you can buy it 3 separate times for a total of +15)

The book pack is quite useful, one of the books increases the rate at which your eleth mixer levels up.

Thank you so much :)

I might [MIGHT] purchase some of them depending on: the price + how much I like the game + how much grade I get :p

The question is how many of them are left after the dissolution of NTS and the creation of NBS. We already know that Yasuyuki Sawadaishi is out, that was THE one art director at Tales Studio, having been involved in all Tales games from the very beginning and art director of all TD games. The TS games (+ Xillia) on the other hand had Namco people as art directors. Well, as long as Tatsuro Udo is still there... *prays*

</3 :'(
Stupid Namco

Thank you so much :)

I might [MIGHT] purchase some of them depending on: the price + how much I like the game + how much grade I get :p

</3 :'(
Stupid Namco

The grade shop unlocks are either $0.99 or $1.99 depending on the unlock. Like I think SP x2 and Item Drop Rate+ were $1.99 for example since they were more powerful. The only thing that was $3.99 were the costume packs, I think everything else was like $1.99 or $0.99 each. I bought everything but 3 or 4 items and it was about $25 total I think.

Jiraiza

Emeraude... fuckingnope.jpg Toning down the difficulty just for this hoe. allmyrage

Funny because it's more of an issue with the dumb AI than the boss itself, ;_;.

Emeraude... fuckingnope.jpg Toning down the difficulty just for this hoe. allmyrage

Funny because it's more of an issue with the dumb AI than the boss itself, ;_;.
I'm 50/50, maybe 65/35, on beating bosses on Evil versus having to dial down to Hard to not go insane.

I just beat
]Kurt
and I had to dial down for him. The worst part is that each time I do that, it's almost TOO EASY on Hard.

Try switching AI strategies for tough bosses, it makes a big difference to have them go on the defensive. Also, expose the boss weaknesses with extreme prejudice, assign all four shortcuts to your ally's matching atres and just circle the right stick when you can.

Jiraiza

I'm 50/50, maybe 65/35, on beating bosses on Evil versus having to dial down to Hard to not go insane.

I just beat
]Kurt
and I had to dial down for him. The worst part is that each time I do that, it's almost TOO EASY on Hard.

Try switching AI strategies for tough bosses, it makes a big difference to have them go on the defensive. Also, expose the boss weaknesses with extreme prejudice, assign all four shortcuts to your ally's matching atres and just circle the right stick when you can.

This is first playthrough on Hard but yeah I switched around the strategies but alas, I can't reliably keep the AI from derping on me during AoE spells like the Killing Field. I'll come back and destroy this boss on Evil on the second playthrough though. I could have waited for my friends to come over too but didn't feel like waiting!

Aeana

So, in response to an earlier discussion after having unlocked both demon fist and icedragon flurry, they are indeed called linked artes in English, and Asbel does indeed still say "demon fang" when you use demon fist. Most likely overlooked by the translators since they sound the same in Japanese.

RPGCrazied

After 65 hours, I beat F Arc. Damn, even on Easy, I was struggling against
Fodra Queen.
There is a trophy for 60 seconds against that? I'll never get that one, lol

What a bitch.

Zhonecage time.

FSLink

Banned
So, in response to an earlier discussion after having unlocked both demon fist and icedragon flurry, they are indeed called linked artes in English, and Asbel does indeed still say "demon fang" when you use demon fist. Most likely overlooked by the translators since they sound the same in Japanese.

Actually I think Majinken uses the same voiceclip for the fist version, so when localized the voice says Demon Fang for both but different text for each.

Aeana

Actually I think Majinken uses the same voiceclip for the fist version, so when localized the voice says Demon Fang for both but different text for each.

It probably does, but that would be because both &#39764;&#31070;&#21091; and &#39764;&#31070;&#25331; are pronounced the same in Japanese, so there was no need for a second voice clip. However, it would have been nice had they created a new one for the English version since they are obviously not the same in English.

Esura

Banned
I'm currently going to
World's End
right now. Is that close to the end of the game? Feels like I've been all over already.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So quick question if anyone doesn't mind...

Is there anything missable that is of vital importance potentially before I enter the "F" Arc? That I cannot do afterwards.
I'm talking like important sidequest items (inn requests), turn-ins, cards, titles, books, etc.
No.
If you complete F Arc, you can load the clear save from that to get back to the final save point of the main game and do postgame content with Accel Mode and the Lv. 4 blast calibers.

Well, as long as Tatsuro Udo is still there... *prays*
Pleeeease.

Do you keep your level in New Game + and if so do the enemies get tougher?
No. You can make the enemies tougher by adjusting the in-game difficulty. I do think that if you never unlock Evil that it gets unlocked when you start NG+, but I usually unlocked it in-game anyway.

Huh, that's kinda weird. They sounded the same in the JP version, but I thought they'd differentiate both skills in English with different voiceclips.

Man, I feel so behind. I've barely played through English Adult Arc.

Sagitario

Grade Shop cheats are $1.99.
Attachments are $0.99.
Costumes are $LOL.

The grade shop unlocks are either $0.99 or $1.99 depending on the unlock. Like I think SP x2 and Item Drop Rate+ were $1.99 for example since they were more powerful. The only thing that was $3.99 were the costume packs, I think everything else was like $1.99 or $0.99 each. I bought everything but 3 or 4 items and it was about $25 total I think.

Damm! :|

I bought 2 copies of the game, so the DLC can suck it (for the time being)!

The Karta game on hard is driving me insane. I can consistently beat it but getting a perfect seems nearly impossible since the CPU always seems to have at least one super fast move every round, where he grabs the card before the first word is even finished.

RPGCrazied

I was around Lv 145 for that and pulled it off on Moderate. :lol

Max level in this game is 200.

Ouch. I screwed up and saved over my file. So I can't try again until play-through #2. Which I have to do, cause I missed some of those 60 second boss trophies, and Richard still didn't get his 100 title trophy. Nobody has yet. ;/

Aeana

I'm really enjoying using demon fist and icedragon flurry. These weren't in the Wii version, so it's an extra layer that is just even more fun for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ouch. I screwed up and saved over my file. So I can't try again until play-through #2. Which I have to do, cause I missed some of those 60 second boss trophies, and Richard still didn't get his 100 title trophy. Nobody has yet. ;/
You can look at the grade shop as a silver lining; you can probably get through the game faster with some of the Grade Shop stuff on your second playthrough.

Aeana said:
I'm really enjoying using demon fist and icedragon flurry. These weren't in the Wii version, so it's an extra layer that is just even more fun for me.
I haven't played the Wii version, but I'm curious... does it feel a little different from that version so far? In terms of skillsets, difficulty, etc?

RPGCrazied

You can look at the grade shop as a silver lining; you can probably get through the game faster with some of the Grade Shop stuff on your second playthrough.

I haven't played the Wii version, but I'm curious... does it feel a little different from that version so far? In terms of skillsets, difficulty, etc?

Yeah. I plan on getting the 5x and 2x damage. You can't bring weapons right? I don't remember what all you can bring over. I did see titles and skills. But skills was over 2k. I will bring titles over at least. Don't want to relearn those, but relearning skills sounds annoying. Oh well. The Double SP thing makes it go fast.

Aeana

I dunno. It took some getting used to the controls since I'm used to the nunchuck/remote setup which I think is absolutely perfect for this game, but other than that I think it feels pretty similar. It has been a while, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah. I plan on getting the 5x and 2x damage. You can't bring weapons right?
Not equipment, no.

I'd advise bringing over your Eleth Mixer Capacity if you want to get the trophy for that faster.

I dunno. It took some getting used to the controls since I'm used to the nunchuck/remote setup which I think is absolutely perfect for this game, but other than that I think it feels pretty similar. It has been a while, though.
I'd heard that the Wiimote/nunchuk control method felt better than the DS3. I also heard that some bosses are a little harder in the PS3 version, so I wondered if the difficulty tweaks spread to normal enemies as well.

Ah well, at least it seems consistent across both versions.

Yeah. I plan on getting the 5x and 2x damage. You can't bring weapons right? I don't remember what all you can bring over. I did see titles and skills. But skills was over 2k. I will bring titles over at least. Don't want to relearn those, but relearning skills sounds annoying. Oh well. The Double SP thing makes it go fast.

The fact that enemies do 5x and 2x damage against you as well has me a little worried about that particular grade shop unlock, lol.

SuperLurker said:
The Karta game on hard is driving me insane. I can consistently beat it but getting a perfect seems nearly impossible since the CPU always seems to have at least one super fast move every round, where he grabs the card before the first word is even finished.
Yea, screw the carta game. it's basically just impossible unless you spend hours and hours memorizing each card. I mean for someone who has never played a tales game before except Vesperia, it's prohibitively difficult.

RPGCrazied

Not equipment, no.

I'd advise bringing over your Eleth Mixer Capacity if you want to get the trophy for that faster.

Haha, yeah. Mine is barely 1,500. :p I want to platnium this game, but its going to take awhile. I'm not even going to start a new game until Zhonecage is done, and I beat the main game on Hard, Evil, Chaos. I haven't even unlocked Evil yet. :p

The fact that enemies do 5x and 2x damage against you as well has me a little worried about that particular grade shop unlock, lol.

Oh my. It does? I guess I'll stick to Easy mode.

bubnbob

Banned
yay, now i am flying around and doing sidequests.

... then i found the shuttle crash site and lost progress.

is there a trick to that one?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, yeah. Mine is barely 1,500. :p I want to platnium this game, but its going to take awhile. I'm not even going to start a new game until Zhonecage is done, and I beat the main game on Hard, Evil, Chaos. I haven't even unlocked Evil yet. :p

Oh my. It does? I guess I'll stick to Easy mode.
lol, you get used to it. Or at least when you're on Chaos, you get used to it since you're busy dodging enemies. >.>

The max Arles Pot energy trophy took me about 8-9 hours grinding on Lhant Hill with dark bottles. I know there's the
Rockgagong method
too, but I didn't know about that one until I almost finished raising the pot close to max.

yay, now i am flying around and doing sidequests.

... then i found the shuttle crash site and lost progress.

is there a trick to that one?
Equip the titles that reduce damage over 1000/1200 on people, attack the enemy until its HP is "unknown", and then make everyone get away from the enemy (including the character you're controlling), set AI characters to Passive and Defend/Heal once HP is under 100%, and defend yourself. Hopefully someone will survive at the end to win.

lol, you get used to it. Or at least when you're on Chaos, you get used to it since you're busy dodging enemies. >.>

The max Arles Pot energy trophy took me about 8-9 hours grinding on Lhant Hill with dark bottles. I know there's the
Rockgagong method
too, but I didn't know about that one until I almost finished raising the pot close to max.

Equip the titles that reduce damage over 1000/1200 on people, attack the enemy until its HP is "unknown", and then make everyone get away from the enemy (including the character you're controlling), set AI characters to Passive and Defend/Heal once HP is under 100%, and defend yourself. Hopefully someone will survive at the end to win.

There's also an Eleth book that absorbs damage by consuming Eleth. If you go in with a very high capacity Eleth Mixer this could work too.

john tv

Turns out the Japanese version just re-used the same voice data for both of those since it sounds the same in Japanese. That's the sort of thing you have to leave up to QA departments to catch and fix; not a whole lot we can do in translation, sadly.

EDIT: Ah, looks like you already discussed this above. Hah. Sorry! But yeah, that's what happened.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There's also an Eleth book that absorbs damage by consuming Eleth. If you go in with a very high capacity Eleth Mixer this could work too.
Is that the Glory Grimoire? (evade attacks as long as there exists E in the pot; and it consumes 1 every second or so?)

Man, at that point during my first playthrough, I had no idea wtf I was doing with the Arles Pot or which items would increase its capacity so it was only at about 2000 points for me. :lol

nintendoman58 said:
Does anyone know how to boost the amount of time you have for your eleth burst? Or is it something that happens naturally?
Eleth Burst time can be increased if you enter into it one Burst after the other without letting the enemy go into Eleth Break (so it gets increased from 9 to 13 to 15 to 20 seconds), and time carries over to the next battle if the enemy doesn't go into Eleth Break/if you don't go to a save point.

I think once you get to 20 seconds, it'll stay there unless the enemy goes into Eleth Break or if you save.

scy

...and Asbel does indeed still say "demon fang" when you use demon fist. Most likely overlooked by the translators since they sound the same in Japanese.

I wasn't sure if I was hearing things or not on that. Good to know I'm not crazy :x

Is that the Glory Grimoire? (evade attacks as long as there exists E in the pot; and it consumes 1 every second or so?)

I think so, although to be honest I'm not sure of the exact mechanic of that Grimoire. I thought it would consume 1 damage per eleth, but I'm actually really not sure. (I also have no idea if this method would work, it's just something I made up as a kind of hypothesis, I guess).

Good game... Good game...

Just beat it and I must say it was one fun ride. I simply devored it. Om nom nom. Just like that. At moderate difficulty, I've barely encountered any choke point though
died on Emeraude once and on Lambda a couple of time due to his Mystic Artes plot hack at below 20k hp)

The game suffers from the same problem as any other recent Tales, which means a shitload of backtracking. I've been accustomed to this so it doesn't bother me really, but I could see someone enumerating this as a serious flaw and I would understand his point. The music was disappointing overall. It seems like for every good track you've heard, there were 2 forgettable one. I like the story. Very simple and well conceived. Nothing spectacular, that's for sure, but it kept me entertained, even with the corny moments here and there. I also liked the characters a lot.

Which is exactly why I am eager to start legacy & lineage.

Esura

Banned
Right now I got my entire team at level 50 thanks to DLC and I'm at
World's Eye
. Is that close to the end of the game?

Yuterald

I just encountered the hardest boss so far for myself on Chaos difficulty. During the middle/end of Chapter 3, the fight with
Richard's Uncle
. His fucking burst move or whatever the fuck it's called was SO DANGEROUS. If any of my characters were grouped together it was practically instant death. I was around LV33 on Chaos when I beat him too. I had Sopheria on constant passive, all heal strategy. Asbel, Richard, and Pascal all had moves that exploited his weakness rather quickly so dealing damage wasn't a problem. My main issue was that special eleth move he had. What I ended up doing was changing all of my characters to "Avoid enemy" or passive strat when his meter was maxed out. This way he could only catch ONE ally with his bullshit power attack. It was EXTREMELY manageable and as soon as I implemented this strategy I took him out FAST.

And how much SP did I get for this battle on Chaos. Wait for it...5600! What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck! So crazy! It's not even funny how worth it is to play on the higher difficulties in this game. I'd suggest those struggling with the harder modes just to learn the battle mechanics better because in the long run it's TOTALLY worth it.

Top Bottom