• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't mind simple dungeons, but a lot of the ones in this game are reusing assets to the point of them getting confusing as hell. Atleast Wallbridge, the ruins and the Castle, I'm in
the Rockgagong
and am fine with how this place seems.

Well I just beat the game and I guess put me in the "I didn't really like the ending crowd". Asbel is just such a fucking tool of a protagonist, that even when he does something right it ends up being wrong.

Dresden

Asbel is too much of a pushover to be likable. (Also that disco coat he wears is awful.)

Pascal, Sophie, and Malik have managed to stay appealing so far. I think I could tolerate Cheria if she had a better costume.

Asbel is too much of a pushover to be likable. (Also that disco coat he wears is awful.)

Pascal, Sophie, and Malik have managed to stay appealing so far. I think I could tolerate Cheria if she had a better costume.

She gets a few good ones later.

After just beating the game, overall I think I like almost everything about the game except Asbel (voice + character) and Richard (voice). Richard's voice is just atrocious. I actually though many of the other voices were fairly decent, I liked Hubert's and Malik's in particular. I usually dont' care about VO so much but Richard's was so awful that it felt like I was watching a B-movie or something.

kewlmyc

Cheria in Rita's costume makes her more likable, at least to me. Rita's costume is silly looking in general, but it's still better than her default costume.

Dresden

I think it's the combination of puffy shoulderpads and gogo boots that pushes Cheria's default costume into the 'bad' territory for me.

After almost 10 days I started the game yesterday and played for 4 hours.... Can't belive how much I'm loving the story and the characters which is something I didn't felt strongly about since the PS2 era, can't wait to play more later today :D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
She gets a few good ones later.

After just beating the game, overall I think I like almost everything about the game except Asbel (voice + character) and Richard (voice). Richard's voice is just atrocious. I actually though many of the other voices were fairly decent, I liked Hubert's and Malik's in particular. I usually dont' care about VO so much but Richard's was so awful that it felt like I was watching a B-movie or something.

I liked Asbel's voice, reminded me of Baten Kaitos 2's lead.
I agree though about Richard, Richard's voice choice was a mistake.

Real spoiler ahead:
Thankfully he is absent through over half the main game

Almost done with Chapter 6 now.

This game has me hooked, I can't remember the last time i've been "addicted" to an RPG like this. I did with Skyrim to an extent, but not this much.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*nibbles on toast* After two playthroughs and this one being my third, I'm about done with the music now. Turning the music all the way down and playing other music on my laptop now. Going through Barona Catacombs with that shitty 3-note theme again is something I don't want to experience again. Kinda sick of all of the battle themes too, so it's best that I use an alternative. Did some grinding to Un-Gravitify, Inevitable Struggle (Zero no Kiseki Arrange Ver), Go Straight, and Live and Learn, and it was nice.

...I also got lost in Wallbridge despite this technically being my fifth time through it (because of the sidequest you do there, so I went through there twice on each playthrough). On that note, I never really liked a lot of Team Destiny's dungeons. I usually preferred Team Symphonia's. *shrug*

I guess I'll play through some more later today if I have time.

cpp_is_king said:
Well I just beat the game and I guess put me in the "I didn't really like the ending crowd". Asbel is just such a fucking tool of a protagonist, that even when he does something right it ends up being wrong.
I didn't dislike Asbel in my JP playthroughs, though Sakurai voiced that character rather well and endeared him a little to me despite Asbel's decision-making/mamoru mamoru makenai business. Not a huge fan of English Asbel, tbh...

As for Richard... I'm not sure about him. I keep having mixed feelings about his English voice, but it's been a while since I've heard his JP voice (since I put my second playthrough on hold and thus
didn't start Future Arc to hear lengthier streams of Richard's speech on that one
) so I don't have much of a base to compare him with at the moment. There are some points where I think English Richard is okay. And then there are others that I feel weird about.

Now Sophie in English is amazing. Miles better than her JP counterpart, imo.

Dresden said:
I think it's the combination of puffy shoulderpads and gogo boots that pushes Cheria's default costume into the 'bad' territory for me.
She gets much better ones later on and through DLC. Though I don't mind her design in general.

It's Sophie's default design that bothers me so much.

The problem with the voice acting in this game is that lines were delivered as if they had no context. Emphasis was often placed on the completely wrong words so they didn't make much sense said that way in the conversation.

I understand the realities of voice acting don't allow everyone to be in the same room and act off each other, but it didn't even seem like there was consistent voice direction or even full scripts for every voice actor.

The voice actress for Pascal really delivered her lines like a champ, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The other day I was daydreaming of a Tales game with a Tatsuro Udo battle system and a Go Shiina soundtrack.
Is Udo still part of... uh, whatever Namco is calling the body that Tales Studio got absorbed into? I certainly hope so!

It's too bad that Shiina seems to be just composing for God Eater and Tekken (and Idolm@aster, I think?) now. As much as I liked how Xillia's soundtrack turned out after this game's, I'd like Tales to mix up its composition crew every now and then for variation in sound across the series.

The problem with the voice acting in this game is that lines were delivered as if they had no context. Emphasis was often placed on the completely wrong words so they didn't make much sense said that way in the conversation.

I understand the realities of voice acting don't allow everyone to be in the same room and act off each other, but it didn't even seem like there was consistent voice direction or even full scripts for every voice actor.

The voice actress for Pascal really delivered her lines like a champ, though.
It really does sound that way sometimes. It's "Aha, is this our chance?" all over again in some cases. Perhaps not to that extent, but it's a little jarring sometimes.

In-battle everyone sounds different, as if those lines were either done first or last out of the entire game's script. Granted, I'm not too far in the English version, so I don't want to judge the voiceovers overall yet.

Man, I'd love to hear how English Pascal does the Toro Victory quote, but they probably won't bring that over. :/ Actually, I wonder how one scene in the future arc went in English, now that I'm thinking about it (the one where she (
sings all off-key
).

Is Udo still part of... uh, whatever Namco is calling the body that Tales Studio got absorbed into? I certainly hope so!
I don't know! We can hope/pray though. In my mind, he's the most important man involved with Tales.

Second would be Inomata. :)

It's too bad that Shiina seems to be just composing for God Eater and Tekken (and Idolm@aster, I think?) now. As much as I liked how Xillia's soundtrack turned out after this game's, I'd like Tales to mix up its composition crew every now and then for variation in sound across the series.
I think his work on Tekken and Idolmaster is more like guest work, even. That reminds me, I still need to play God Eater some day. Maybe one day it'll go on sale on PSN. Or, I guess I could just buy the disc and screw my Vita contingency plan.

As much venom as I've been know to send out towards Tamura/Sakuraba's shoddy work on the series, it HAS to be a pain to compose a full RPG soundtrack every six or eight months. Given how many development teams Namco had working on the series at times, it always baffled me they had the same two guys doing the soundtracks to every game.

I wonder if their work is reviled in Japan as it can sometimes be over here? And what did Japan think of Legendia's soundtrack?

Datschge

Something about Cheria's face looks extremely odd to me.

Yeah. It looks really bad, and is the only character face in the game that looks like a bad representation of the artist for Team Destiny's work, or like art that he fucked up (like the Sophie on the cover with eyes spaced so far you could build a football field between them).

Jubern

I don't mind her at all except for the Asbel/Cheria romance push they're going for which is irritating as fuck.

I didn't mind the romance itself, but the clueless hero stereotype killed that subplot for me. I hate that trope.

There a romance I found very strange and out of place though (Future Arc spoilers) :
Hubert and Pascal. It just pops out of nowhere during Future Arc. In the main plot there's clearly nothing between the two of them and there's even a strong hint at Hubert actually having a crush on someone else in Yu Liberte. Comes Future, he's head and heels over her, wat.
That felt terribly forced, as if the writers suddenly thought they needed to make Pascal be more relevant. Like "Hey, let's put her in Hubert's plot even if it doesn't make a lot of sense!".

vall03

fuck this request that requires you to steal an item in Riot Peak, seriously fuck this shit! been trying this for an hour now and it just wont steal the item, if I crank up the difficulty, Im dead, if I lower it, it dies too fast!

Paracelsus

I didn't mind the romance itself, but the clueless hero stereotype killed that subplot for me. I hate that trope.

There a romance I found very strange and out of place though (Future Arc spoilers) :
Hubert and Pascal. It just pops out of nowhere during Future Arc. In the main plot there's clearly nothing between the two of them and there's even a strong hint at Hubert actually having a crush on someone else in Yu Liberte. Comes Future, he's head and heels over her, wat.
That felt terribly forced, as if the writers suddenly thought they needed to make Pascal be more relevant. Like "Hey, let's put her in Hubert's plot even if it doesn't make a lot of sense!".

Actually the same thing is more or less done in Tales of Eternia with
Meredy and Keele
, when Chat tells him she noticed he's got the hots for her I was like "...o rly".

kewlmyc

It was there in the main quest, it was just very small. It was mostly in the easy to overlook skits though.

RPGCrazied

The music is average. Not bad, not good, though I wish the tracks were longer. Some of them don't even last like 20 seconds, and it just loops over and over again.

scy

Haha, got Cheria's Level 3 Mystic Arte before her second one. Somehow. My skill progression on her is all over the place :|

Grinding skill use is so tedious.

Edit: ...I just remembered you can Mystic Arte without Bursting. Wish I remembered that before getting all the Combo Master titles, though I guess only Cheria's was rough and the free ~15 hits from Asterism Line would've made the 50 hit cutoff easier (plus guaranteeing her the kill shot). Oh well :|

As for Richard... I'm not sure about him. I keep having mixed feelings about his English voice, but it's been a while since I've heard his JP voice

All you need to remember about JP Richard is that he's voiced by Daisuke "Master of FABULOUS" Namikawa. So he's pretty much perfect for the job.

mAcOdIn

Better costume? Her get-up's hot man. Now Sophie, her costume's horrendous as is Asbel's, well, and Hubert and Pascal's too for that matter. Pascal's awesome though regardless of her shitty clothes.

Speaking of VA, i think i liked Hubert's almost as much as Pascal. Pascals delivery was excellent, no doubt, but the character itself was just annoying by design. She grew on me a little by the end, but sometimes she was still just a little too annoying for me

Sushen

Just started to play, I mean, inserted the disc only to be stuck at firmware update and then disc installation. 10 mins later, I'm posting this still waiting. Seriously, is this what they want us to experience as the first impression? I'm too used to iPad where I just turn it on and start playing...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so there are missable titles? I'm scared of the ones attached to skits, since sometimes the temptation to skip skits is way too high.

I just beat
Emerade, she really wasn't as difficult as everyone made her out to be, I thought Richard 3 was far more annoying
How much longer left is the main campaign?

scy

Man, resisting the temptation to try and grind the Uncharted desert region is hard. High value shards! Nearly 3k+ EXP a fight!

'course, one of the enemies hits for 20k but still.

Neifirst

Is there a possibility of screwing up Wallbridge? I got through to the end of the dungeon where you could go to Graylshyde (?), but I circled back because of some treasure chests. I worked back to the beginning, but now there are just two panels available for me to travel, but it just loops around and it seems like I can't proceed back through. Did I glitch something, or am I just overlooking something obvious?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is there a possibility of screwing up Wallbridge? I got through to the end of the dungeon where you could go to Graylshyde (?), but I circled back because of some treasure chests. I worked back to the beginning, but now there are just two panels available for me to travel, but it just loops around and it seems like I can't proceed back through. Did I glitch something, or am I just overlooking something obvious?

I don't think so, but if returning to here, you need to enter by the way you last exited.

bubnbob

Banned
I thought the main arc ending was pretty shit. Was that really how it ended on Wii version, with the flowers? Barf.

Very disappointing conclusion. He becomes friends with Lambda? Jesus, it's like a sunday afternoon special.

Future Arc starts off way better than the Main Arc right from the start.

Man, resisting the temptation to try and grind the Uncharted desert region is hard. High value shards! Nearly 3k+ EXP a fight!

'course, one of the enemies hits for 20k but still.

What level do you think one should be before farming there?

Also, few more random questions (for anyone who feels like answering):

- What qualities of shards are people dualizing onto their endgame gear during the levelling up process to get the best possible stats?

- What "final" shard are people dualizing onto their endgame gear when they're done levelling it up and want to complete it?

I'm at the point where I'm ready to start grinding dualize, but I don't want to screw up anyone's unique equipment since I won't be able to get another one.

scy

Don't know. I'm barely able to kill some of the fights at Level 60 (Chaos) :/ The Violent Scorpions hit for 20k unblocked. Even with Titles and Guarding properly, I can't actually survive that yet :x

But combo loops kind of makes it not really matter too much. I'd just say give it a shot and see if you can kill them, honestly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't know! We can hope/pray though. In my mind, he's the most important man involved with Tales.

Second would be Inomata. :)

I think his work on Tekken and Idolmaster is more like guest work, even. That reminds me, I still need to play God Eater some day. Maybe one day it'll go on sale on PSN. Or, I guess I could just buy the disc and screw my Vita contingency plan.

As much venom as I've been know to send out towards Tamura/Sakuraba's shoddy work on the series, it HAS to be a pain to compose a full RPG soundtrack every six or eight months. Given how many development teams Namco had working on the series at times, it always baffled me they had the same two guys doing the soundtracks to every game.

I wonder if their work is reviled in Japan as it can sometimes be over here? And what did Japan think of Legendia's soundtrack?
I agree. And I don't generally dislike Inomata's designs either. I like some of them. It's a little too bad that they don't put out those illustrations books for Inomata's games like they did with Abyss, Symphonia, Xillia, etc. I'd get them.

With regards to Sakuraba, iirc, he composed Graces at the tail end of the time when his name was everywhere and his music was being used in everything. It's probably a case of being overworked.

As for Legendia, I was curious about that so I checked the PS2 mk2 site for it. It has a D rank, and the sound was the highest rated quality out of everything else, though not by much. Seems like the reactions to the soundtracks were mixed, though. Most seemed to like it while others disliked it.

Even Sakuraba himself "would have preferred to do something that differs more from previous games". In any case staff changes are most certainly happening as we speak (the combined Bandai Namco Studio will officially go live in a little over a week), we just don't know what areas are affected and what continuity will be kept there.
I guess the sound isn't wholly Sakuraba's decision, then (especially noting that he can do some good stuff like with VP, BtL, ES, and Dark Souls). It's a little too bad since the series really needs that sort of variation (though let's be clear--I do like Tales scores in general, but I don't deny that some scores are lacking). I hope there's some continuity, especially with regards to Udo. He's done a ton with the LMBS and I sincerely hope he stays there in that sort of role. Udo being this game's lead planner was a good thing, imo.

fuck this request that requires you to steal an item in Riot Peak, seriously fuck this shit! been trying this for an hour now and it just wont steal the item, if I crank up the difficulty, Im dead, if I lower it, it dies too fast!
It's really too bad that ToG doesn't seem to have a Negative Holder-type of skill (you hit for 1 damage against an enemy so it's very easy to combo), unless I forgot about it. Seems like you might have to turn up the difficulty on this one. Don't leave it until too late otherwise you might 1-shot the enemy by then.

Remember, Asbel's skills to steal are on his CC2 (Stagger Strike)/CC3 (Wolfwind Fang). That item that you want to get has a 6% steal rate. Keep trying until you get it or use a character who doesn't hit as hard as he does. Sophie's Eagle Dive/D. Drive string can steal, and she can also steal with Elegant Flash. Pascal can steal with Vicious Circle/Sudden Impact, but you might not have the titles for those yet--or any of these guys maybe, except for Asbel.

The music is average. Not bad, not good, though I wish the tracks were longer. Some of them don't even last like 20 seconds, and it just loops over and over again.
Music gets tiresome halfway through the second playthrough given that it's incredibly average and not one of the best Tales series scores.

It's kinda like how I got tired of Blinded by Light halfway through my English playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII. And then really started to dislike it during my platinum run (let's bear in mind that by the end of it, I'd played 200 hours worth of FFXIII in both JP and English, so overexposure really killed it for me). At least Nier has a custom soundtrack option so when I'm grinding for drops in that game, I won't get sick of the wonderful soundtrack.

All you need to remember about JP Richard is that he's voiced by Daisuke "Master of FABULOUS" Namikawa. So he's pretty much perfect for the job.
Oh yessss, now I remember. I should look up a few scenes to compare/complete my second JP playthrough to compare. I remember liking JP Fabulous Richard a lot.

Speaking of VA, i think i liked Hubert's almost as much as Pascal.
I like English Hubert so far (though I had originally warmed up to JP Hubert during battle because of Instant Valse and a few of his other attacks and blast calibers), so I want to hear how he sounds in battle.

Also, few more random questions (for anyone who feels like answering):

- What qualities of shards are people dualizing onto their endgame gear during the levelling up process to get the best possible stats?

- What "final" shard are people dualizing onto their endgame gear when they're done levelling it up and want to complete it?

I'm at the point where I'm ready to start grinding dualize, but I don't want to screw up anyone's unique equipment since I won't be able to get another one.
Hmmm... I actually didn't do a ton of dualization on final equipment towards the end because my level was high enough that I didn't really need it outside of the CC boost. I'd stick with Keen, Sharp, Rigid, Wild, Plain, etc attributes when dualizing gear, though. The best thing to do is look at the dualization book and see which qualities you want the characters' weapons to have based on the bonuses they give.

As for the Unmapped desert with all the hard enemies, I'd be level 80-100 given that some of the enemies there--iirc--were around lv 60-90 or so. But you could switch the difficulty to Simple and grind there for a while for cash or something.

Normal is kinda hard, honestly. Having to use gels in normal fights isn't something that I'm used to, or the damage they deal. I'm not complaining, though. I at least haven't been game over'd so far.

Coxswain

I wish this game had healing skills that weren't spells. For all the good they did with the combat system in this game, it still falls into the old Tales pitfall where if your healer(s) get overwhelmed, you're pretty much screwed since there's really no reliable way to keep enemies away long enough for them to cast, especially if you've got one or two characters on the ground.

I wish this game had healing skills that weren't spells. For all the good they did with the combat system in this game, it still falls into the old Tales pitfall where if your healer(s) get overwhelmed, you're pretty much screwed since there's really no reliable way to keep enemies away long enough for them to cast, especially if you've got one or two characters on the ground.

Hubert does get a form of Center that is quite a pain to use being able after a 3 CC A-arte move or whatever.

There is a lot of passive healing in the game in hitting enemies, criticaling enemies, getting eleth rise or even having 60 seconds pass in the game.

Ties

Banned
Okay so I'm nearing the end of the F Arc and I have to say that the conversations that Asbel and
Lambda
have are some of the most cringe-worthy dialogue I've experienced in the game by far. Asbel comes off like a naive fool in those dialogue sequences and if Asbel was exactly like that the entire game, I'd probably not like him as much. Overall, the skits and interactions are definitely improved and the pacing is much better than the main plot. Hopefully the ending is better than the one in the main plot, because while I found the ending for that completely unoffensive and sort of heartwarming; it felt incomplete.

Also, I'm finding the main F Arc antagonist,
Little Queen
to be much more interesting than
Lambda

It's really too bad that ToG doesn't seem to have a Negative Holder-type of skill (you hit for 1 damage against an enemy so it's very easy to combo), unless I forgot about it. Seems like you might have to turn up the difficulty on this one. Don't leave it until too late otherwise you might 1-shot the enemy by then.

Remember, Asbel's skills to steal are on his CC2 (Stagger Strike)/CC3 (Wolfwind Fang). That item that you want to get has a 6% steal rate. Keep trying until you get it or use a character who doesn't hit as hard as he does. Sophie's Eagle Dive/D. Drive string can steal, and she can also steal with Elegant Flash. Pascal can steal with Vicious Circle/Sudden Impact, but you might not have the titles for those yet--or any of these guys maybe, except for Asbel.

There's also a book you can put in your mixer that doubles item steal success rate.

Ties

Banned
The combat is easily the best of the series, everything else though is meh.
I disagree.

The cast is, in my opinion, better than Vesperia's (I said it.) and Abyss'. They just play off with each other better than just about 99% of the localized Tales titles (with the exception of Legendia). The story is not anything to write home about, but the pacing is pretty good for the most part and is largely inoffensive. Also there isn't that much incoherent jargon (fonon fonon fonon fonon fonon) and long, drawn out explanations. The only thing remotely "meh" about the game is the music (battle themes can be changed anyhow, simply equip a Costume that changes the theme) and dungeon design.

Top Bottom