• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Paches

I just encountered the hardest boss so far for myself on Chaos difficulty. During the middle/end of Chapter 3, the fight with
Richard's Uncle
. His fucking burst move or whatever the fuck it's called was SO DANGEROUS. If any of my characters were grouped together it was practically instant death. I was around LV33 on Chaos when I beat him too. I had Sopheria on constant passive, all heal strategy. Asbel, Richard, and Pascal all had moves that exploited his weakness rather quickly so dealing damage wasn't a problem. My main issue was that special eleth move he had. What I ended up doing was changing all of my characters to "Avoid enemy" or passive strat when his meter was maxed out. This way he could only catch ONE ally with his bullshit power attack. It was EXTREMELY manageable and as soon as I implemented this strategy I took him out FAST.

And how much SP did I get for this battle on Chaos. Wait for it...5600! What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck! So crazy! It's not even funny how worth it is to play on the higher difficulties in this game. I'd suggest those struggling with the harder modes just to learn the battle mechanics better because in the long run it's TOTALLY worth it.

That fight pissed me off so much because of the one shottedness of it. It doesn't even come down to skill at that point, it's just *bam*, guaranteed death to one of your party members. That is a big cop out in terms of "dealing with damage" or a tough attack to dodge IMO, but whatever.

Yuterald

That fight pissed me off so much because of the one shottedness of it. It doesn't even come down to skill at that point, it's just *bam*, guaranteed death to one of your party members. That is a big cop out in terms of "dealing with damage" or a tough attack to dodge IMO, but whatever.

True, it is definitely a cop out. I'm not going to lie, I kind of don't like how some enemies have those burst moves or whatever, especially since they CLEARLY out damage your HP even with the amount of excessive grinding I've been doing. I'd have to say it's the weakest thing about the battle system.

Oh, by the way, does anyone now why the Axe Beak in Orlen Woods never drops in Soul Orb? I've defeated 143 of them and I've yet to even see a greyed out star on its bestiary page. Is this enemy glitched or something?

bubnbob

Banned
Are there any other scannable places besides these?

Oswell Vault
Turtlez HQ
Cat Lover House
Shuttle Crash

Beat the first guardian of Warrior's Roost too. Got a sweeeet sword.

Jesus christ I just saw the beach scene with Malik's swimsuit. This has got to be the most ridiculous thing they've ever put in a Tales game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seriously. He doesn't seem to give a shit about anything. Which makes it a bit hard to give a shit yourself =/
I'm rather lukewarm towards his English voice actor at the moment. Just got to Wallbridge (and then I'm probably going to play some Suikoden after this). All I can say for now is... well, at least Sakurai sounded like he gave a fuck during the scene where
Richard goes apeshit

I forget. When do you get Hadou Reppu?
LOL.

Check it.

Oh, by the way, does anyone now why the Axe Beak in Orlen Woods never drops in Soul Orb? I've defeated 143 of them and I've yet to even see a greyed out star on its bestiary page. Is this enemy glitched or something?
Oh my. I had the same dilemma too until I checked a wiki and it noted that it doesn't give out a soul orb.

Edit: As a note, enemies with no greyed stars don't drop soul orbs.

I'm rather lukewarm towards his English voice actor at the moment. Just got to Wallbridge (and then I'm probably going to play some Suikoden after this). At least Sakurai sounded like he gave a fuck during the scene where
Richard goes apeshit

The emotionless delivery isn't my only problem. It's the fact that I'm ten hours in and he's already waffled between
becoming a knight no wait now I'm going to be the Lord of Lhant oh my brother told me to leave now I'll just wander around until I find someone who will give me some purpose. Oh hi Richard sure I'll be your right hand man and help you become king oh no Richard's crazy and everyone in Lhant hates me now I guess I'll deliver this letter for Hubert since I'm not good for anything else.
He's not decisive about anything and he lets everyone push him around to go do whatever they want him to do. Grow a spine dude.

At least Pascal is fun and Kate Higgins really brought her A game. I wish the rest of the cast had stepped up to her level.

Stuck on
Cedric
, playing on Evil. That boss fight is so ridiculously hard... I've been grinding around the area for hours and it hasn't changed a thing, ugh... I guess I will grind more -_-

Does anyone know if the Book that doubles eleth mixer item production success rate stacks with the bonus you get from the grade shop? So like if I'm trying to produce an item that has, say, a 10% production rate and I have both the book and the grade shop bonus, will this give me a 40% production rate?

Rpgmonkey

The fancy glasses description is funny. I always enjoy Tales localizations.

And compared to most other games in the series, this has a surprisingly large number of blatant references to other Tales games. I think Graces would've worked pretty well as an anniversary title if it came out just a few years later.

Does anyone know if the Book that doubles eleth mixer item production success rate stacks with the bonus you get from the grade shop? So like if I'm trying to produce an item that has, say, a 10% production rate and I have both the book and the grade shop bonus, will this give me a 40% production rate?

It does.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Honestly Schala. If it wasn't for the fact that you lived nearby, I'd buy cookies or something nice for all the stuff you do. Rofl. You never cease to amaze me.
You mean that I live in a completely different country? ;) You could always mail them. :p

Though perhaps the cost for shipping the cookies to me might be more than what you paid for the cookies anyway. And they'd probably be destroyed by the time they get here.

The emotionless delivery isn't my only problem. It's the fact that I'm ten hours in and he's already waffled between
becoming a knight no wait now I'm going to be the Lord of Lhant oh my brother told me to leave now I'll just wander around until I find someone who will give me some purpose. Oh hi Richard sure I'll be your right hand man and help you become king oh no Richard's crazy and everyone in Lhant hates me now I guess I'll deliver this letter for Hubert since I'm not good for anything else.
He's not decisive about anything and he lets everyone push him around to go do whatever they want him to do. Grow a spine dude.

At least Pascal is fun and Kate Higgins really brought her A game. I wish the rest of the cast had stepped up to her level.
I sorta felt the same way when I started playing the game the first time, and then I thought about it a little.
Like, Asbel recently turned 18, he's been thrust into adulthood rather quickly (and I felt that his stay at the Knight Academy rather than staying in Lhant and staying under his father's tutelage may have sheltered him a little and fostered his indecisiveness--since he's continually taking orders from his instructor or Victoria or someone else). Everyone else around him made an effort to deal with the hardships thrust upon them except him since all he did was go to school rather than having to deal with realism. Asbel's more of an idealist and unrealistically thinks the best of everyone, and it's partially because of this that he's so indecisive as well. Being removed from a path that he had his heart set upon, and being removed from a schooling environment probably made him feel so unsure of himself that he latched onto any opportunity he could. And he can behave irrationally or stupidly, I agree.

Though perhaps I may have been projecting on my part. I kind of empathize, I guess.

The problem with Asbel is that he wants to please everyone or try to 'do the right thing' despite this being utterly irrational thinking on his part.

Edit: It also kind of helps that I liked how Asbel's Japanese voice actor voiced him. *shrug*

While I like English Pascal, and like her localized dialogue, I prefer Kana Ueda's take on her a little more. I'd post my favourite scene but it's a spoiler. Both VAs are good with her, though, so far, at least. I'm not far enough yet.

I love English Sophie, though. I like her a lot more than JP Sophie.

cpp_is_king said:
Yep.

On that note, I wonder if the bonuses bought on PSN could be stacked with the Grade Shop bonuses.

StunandStab said:
That boss fight is so ridiculously hard... I've been grinding around the area for hours and it hasn't changed a thing, ugh... I guess I will grind more -_-
You don't really need to grind. Recommended levels on Normal are 25-27, though I guess for Evil, you'll probably want to be around 30.

-Aerials don't work, period.
-Equip anti-paralysis accessories.
-Don't use Pascal; use Asbel, Sophie, Richard and Cheria
-Use Asbel/controlled character as a decoy
-Richard is useful because he has Anti-Human attacks
-If you're using Asbel, the attacks Infernal Torrent (B-Arte; you probably don't have this yet) and Phantom Pulse (A-Arte; anti-human), and any other attack that is classified as "Slash" will be your assets.
-When he goes into Eleth Break, avoid him, and set everyone to Passive and Guard at all times.
-After that, combo him. The trick is to combo him and not let him go.

I finally started the game after finishing a few others. I have to say, the game is actually kind of funny, and has some funny dialogue. I'm a little surprised. The whole
Abracadabra.. go be quiet for a while.
thing cracked me up. So did the part before it. Honestly, this is a breath of fresh air after playing Mass Effect 3, Asura's Wrath and Ninja Gaiden 3 in a row. Bright colors and non-serious. I like!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You don't really need to grind. Recommended levels on Normal are 25-27, though I guess for Evil, you'll probably want to be around 30.

-Aerials don't work, period.
-Equip anti-paralysis accessories.
-Don't use Pascal; use Asbel, Sophie, Richard and Cheria
-Use Asbel/controlled character as a decoy
-Richard is useful because he has Anti-Human attacks
-If you're using Asbel, the attacks Infernal Torrent (B-Arte; you probably don't have this yet) and Phantom Pulse (A-Arte; anti-human), and any other attack that is classified as "Slash" will be your assets.
-When he goes into Eleth Break, avoid him, and set everyone to Passive and Guard at all times.
-After that, combo him. The trick is to combo him and not let him go.

I actually manually control Richard for that fight. AI tends to be stupid with Weakness crap. Ugh.

scy

Personally, I think it works perfectly fine and fitting (as far as how it's written; I like Asbel's delivery in this light). If anything,
Asbel not being lost would make no sense here. He's a spoiled child that learned that he didn't know best and lost everything dear to him as a result. He's then presented with the reality of everything that he's done so far was selfish and self-centered and that everyone else has moved on with their lives while he's stagnated otherwise. Above all, Asbel seeks a place to belong and his leaving the Knights to return to Lhant and then him sticking to Richard is just him trying to accomplish that; the VA work fits pretty well with that "seeking their place" lost soul viewpoint

Pascal does have the best/most consistent delivery though.

Ezio

Looking forward to getting into this game a little bit more over the weekend. I just got out of Orlen Woods in the beginning so I haven't made it very far but I absolutely love the combat in this game. It makes me want to grind, so I can get more skills.

Negator

About to take this game to my university to play multiplayer with friends. Hopefully spread awareness and make people want to buy it.

I actually manually control Richard for that fight. AI tends to be stupid with Weakness crap. Ugh.

This, especially if you are taking that fight on Hard/Evil. Though for Richard's 3CC use Sword Rain Alpha and not the one that is anti-human, that boss is too heavy and won't be knocked into the air, SRA keeps him pinned longer so that your party will
hopefully
continue to combo him.

scy

Huh ... I never really have a problem with how my AI operates in boss fights. My only problem with the
Cedric
fight was the Burst -> Mystic Arte part and only because of staggerproof status, really.

Honestly, if not for Eleth Burst on the enemy side, boss fights would be a joke. As much as I hate the tide-turning aspect of it when bosses pop it an MA someone into dust, it's also their only way of actually doing anything in a fight.

Beats

How does the Future Arc stuff work? Or rather how can I carry over the Future arc stuff into the main game so that I can use it on NG+? I'm at the final dungeon so do I just beat the game, complete Future Arc, and then reload the future arc save so that it carries over?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finished the main arc and some thoughts.

- Asbel is a terrible protagonist, friends friends friends pact friends friends DON'T DIE
- Final theme song is awesome (orchestrated White Wishes)

Sure, Asbel is kind of a pushover, but at the very least he's not always feeling sorry for himself. He keeps going forward and think much more about the others than himself and that's what I liked about him, compared, to let's say, Luke.

Rpgmonkey

How does the Future Arc stuff work? Or rather how can I carry over the Future arc stuff into the main game so that I can use it on NG+? I'm at the final dungeon so do I just beat the game, complete Future Arc, and then reload the future arc save so that it carries over?

When you beat the future arc you get a clear save that starts you back at the main arc with all the stuff you learned/acquired.

kewlmyc

Sure, Asbel is kind of a pushover, but at the very least he's not always feeling sorry for himself. He keeps going forward and think much more about the others than himself and that's what I liked about him, compared, to let's say, Luke.

In the second half, Luke pretty much did become Asbel though when it came to putting others before himself.

In the second half, Luke pretty much did become Asbel though when it came to putting others before himself.

Except Luke had a reason to do this
He was trying to redeem himself for the massacre at Akzeriuth he caused
Asbel's reason is far less noble/deep
He just feels guilty for being a selfish kid and running away from his responsibility, and to be fair Asbel may have been killed when Fendel attacked the same way his father was
Then again Asbel isn't as bad simply because
He isn't offering to give his own life or talking about how he's inferior to Asch

RPGCrazied

The final boss of the main game gets real on Hard. I did manage to beat him, but it was a lengthy battle. My team is around 75. I can't imagine him on Evil and Chaos. :p I just unlocked Evil too, yay.

After a bit of a save file snafu setting me back a few hours, I finally finished the main arc!

I enjoyed the characters/plot a lot more that I was expecting, to be honest.

he's no Emil, that's for sure. Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality guys.

He's no JYB.

So how do y'all do boss battles on hard and greater difficulties? Am I playing this wrong? Should I be micromanaging this stuff like some bioware game? It's easy enough for whoever I'm playing to stay alive, but my AI compatriots aren't the brightest about >.>"

scy

So how do y'all do boss battles on hard and greater difficulties? Am I playing this wrong? Should I be micromanaging this stuff like some bioware game? It's easy enough for whoever I'm playing to stay alive, but my AI compatriots aren't the brightest about >.>"

I basically do absolutely nothing extra on Chaos. Bosses are essentially locked in place when they don't Burst. At most, I might use an item.

Really, if not for burst giving them staggerproof (and/or MAs to just drop someone), boss fights on Chaos aren't threatening at all. I think I'm approaching "that" boss, though, so we'll see if I still think the same after that.

Yep.

On that note, I wonder if the bonuses bought on PSN could be stacked with the Grade Shop bonuses.

I can answer that for you. No :(

The thing you're buying from PSN is literally the grade shop unlock. It even tells you in the description of the PSN item that if you have already unlocked the given thing in game, then the PSN purchase will have no effect.

Instead of going through the final dungeon, I've actually been doing a lot of sidequests, leveling up, etc. At lv. 65 or 66 now, 10 whole levels up from before. I feel so strong. :p

Since I've haven't really taken the time to do sidequests in other Tales games, I think it's a sign I reeeeally like this game. lol

So about 30+hours in and all I can say is this is a great addition to the Tales series all but for one thing. The soundtrack is the most forgettable thing ever with the exception of the first battle song.
Just my personal opinion.
A lot of people have said that, but then I've ended up with the strangest music stuck in my head. For example, the music of the forest you start in, in the Adult arc.

Are there any other scannable places besides these?

Oswell Vault
Turtlez HQ
Cat Lover House
Shuttle Crash

Beat the first guardian of Warrior's Roost too. Got a sweeeet sword.

Where is the
cat lover house
?

Also, is there a
Katz Village
in the game?

Bebpo

Banned
How is the future arc quality-wise? I loved Graces, but never played the future arc since I played it on Wii and don't really feel like replaying the entire game just to get to a 6-10 hour new arc. Is it worth replaying all of Graces just to check it out?

Top Bottom