• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Ties

Banned
I like Sudden Impact because it staggers the enemy long enough so they can't damage you and it gets them closer so you can finish them off with a B Arte.

john tv

I'm trying to sneak in a little playtime whenever I can. Just passed the Rockgagong stuff last night and suffered my first death on Hard (the parasite boss); had to drop it to Moderate for that one fight, then it was OK.

Glad to see a lot of you are enjoying it. I hope it's selling!

NO matter what you guy say: but anise doesn't deserve such hate IMO .

First Luke at akzeriuth deserved it . He was a total Dick ( even if it wasn't his fault totally ) Oh a whole city was destroyed but it's not my fault after you acted like a arrogant noble since the start ? Sorry but in the situation " Vaan sensei told me to do it " doesn't change the fact that :

-Luke did do it
-The consequences are severe
-Doesn't take into account his own responsabilities ( IMPORTANT )

At this point, the entire party was totally right , and most of them are angry at vaan that deceived everyone and the crying luke didn't help.

For anise , The battle against arrietta was necessary .. Duels for less than that were done when duelling was the norm.. i don't see the problem.
1 Ion was forced to cooperate with moth to protect the rest of the clones. Even if anise told the party before that point , there was little they could do. Anime had no control on ion , nor on her parents .. Warning the party would have resulted in little to nothing .. It's not like moths didn't evade accustaion twice already at various point in the game , right ?
Without him forcing ion to read the score , the party has little to nothing to accuse him.

Another contrast between luke after akzeriuth when the party left him , and anise after ion death is that anise realised that she made a mistake , it paid her a great cost and focuses her energy to educate the other ion.
That's certainly BETTER than ( " that wasn't my fault" ) like luke blurted .

For all those reasons ( and more if you want ) i really think anise hate is overexageratted.

Typae said everything that needed to be said but yeah, Anise COMPLETELY earned up on the hatred people have for her. She's easily ten times worse than Luke and has no excuse unlike him.

Anyway, just got out of
Lambda's Cocoon. LOL at the magic heel turn with Emeraude, I whooped her ass though.

I'm trying to sneak in a little playtime whenever I can. Just passed the Rockgagong stuff last night and suffered my first death on Hard (the parasite boss); had to drop it to Moderate for that one fight, then it was OK.

Glad to see a lot of you are enjoying it. I hope it's selling!

I just did that fight in Chaos... it was soooo hard. I'm not even sure how I won, honestly.

Alot of boss fights in chaos mode come down to getting lucky positioning ive noticed, you can do 5 attempts of getting completely decimated and then get one that you have no issues clearing because all the monsters clumped up away from your mages and followed your main fighter.

Alot of boss fights in chaos mode come down to getting lucky positioning ive noticed, you can do 5 attempts of getting completely decimated and then get one that you have no issues clearing because all the monsters clumped up away from your mages and followed your main fighter.

Luck was on my side for sure. Also switching my elith mixer food to curry (revives on KO), and switching everyone to Passive/Always defend during the enemy elith burst. Then my team got an elith burst and WOW Malik's mystic arte is great, it was smooth sailing from there on.

Luck was on my side for sure. Also switching my elith mixer food to curry (revives on KO), and switching everyone to Passive/Always defend during the enemy elith burst. Then my team got an elith burst and WOW Malik's mystic arte is great, it was smooth sailing from there on.

I think all the little dudes managed to follow asbel around for me while my mages casted on them so i ended up having less trouble then i could have.

john tv

Ahh good call on the curry; I need to try that. The game gets way more manageable as I remember from the JP version once people start learning revival artes.

Ties

Banned
Ahh good call on the curry; I need to try that. The game gets way more manageable as I remember from the JP version once people start learning revival artes.
Sophie learns it the earliest I think.

She's such a useful party member. <3

Music didn't start annoying me until I had to deal with a song that was the same three notes over and over. Whoever did this deserves to be slapped.

Post members learning how to revive i think the worst stuff is mostly certain monster types that have a knack for 1 shotting multiple party members at a time with lasers or the such that hit a large part for the field. A particular golem type comes to mind from freshly made wounds ;l

Sagitario

I just checked the guide/google document linked in the OP. I see there are several timed events. I thought the only missable event was the handkerchief one D: ... what's up with that?

Also, when does the Frederic's Lost Treasure quest start? I remember someone saying the time window for it was really small.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just checked the guide/google document linked in the OP. I see there are several timed events. I thought the only missable event was the handkerchief one D: ... what's up with that?

Also, when does the Frederic's Lost Treasure quest start? I remember someone saying the time window for it was really small.
The handkerchief one is the missable quest for inn requests. That's the one you absolutely need to do.

The timed events in general are small background dialogues between characters to outline what's going to happen next in the story. Sometimes they aren't recorded, and you usually don't get rewards for them. They aren't absurd like Abyss's where you don't know they even exist and--surprise!--they give you character skills or items. They're just... there in this game.

The lost treasure one starts after you
recruit Hubert, and lasts up to the time you enter the final dungeon

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I believe there's a good number of missable events but the event that really matters (for the platinum) is the handkerchief quest.

Sagitario

Thank you, guys :)

Just to be sure: Frederic's Lost Treasure = beloved handkerchief = no small time window, right?

Freaking OCD about missables doesn't let me enjoy my games -_________-

Jubern

IIRC, that's actually one of the few missable quests in the game. I just checked a Japanese wiki and it says you can't clear it anymore once you reach the bottom floor of the main story's last dungeon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not getting any of Natalia's extra skills on my first playthrough of Abyss felt bad, man. So lame. I didn't even know the events existed until my bf pointed them out to me and then asked why I didn't use a guide (because I don't like using guides on first playthroughs).

-_-

And yeah, the lost treasure quest is the handkerchief quest. Just do it after Chapter 4 starts, and that way you won't have to worry about it towards the end.

Jubern

Yeah, team Symphonia game (and Xillia too, kinda) are terrible when it comes to timed quests.
Even if you pay attention and go out of your way, there's a good chance that you'll *still* miss something, which is simply not fun.

Graces is definitely better in that aspect!

Sagitario

Freaking TotA* and its missable items and quests! D:
If there is ONE thing I would change about Tales games (and games in general), that would be it: easy to miss one-chance-only items/events.
Keep the racism... I don't care, just stop doing missable events/quests/items/etc.

*I will play the 3DS version after I am done with Graces.

Edit: Thanks again to the 3 of you :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thank you, guys :)

Just to be sure: Frederic's Lost Treasure = beloved handkerchief = no small time window, right?

Freaking OCD about missables doesn't let me enjoy my games -_________-

Between getting Hubert permanently and the final dungeon.

It's a pretty long time frame so don't need to worry much (but you should get it so that you won't need worry about it anymore). :)

Does anyone know what the materials are for the richard narikiri doll are? seem to have all the others but his so far and his is the only one i don't want to miss ;l

Normaskit3.png

I assure you that the hate is anything but exaggerated.
i don't want to derail this thread ( anymore than it is ? ) so i'll answer just once ( after it's my opinion and i'm willing to discuss it if necessary ).
I don't think the party had any right to criticize Luke for his actions. Luke had no idea that Vaan's intentions were that catastrophic anyhow. Luke was simply goaded into believing that using his Hyperresonance on Akzeriuth's Sephiroth would of gotten rid of the miasma for good. There was no reason for the party to react the way they had towards him considering that he was acting under good intentions.
Hundreds are dead and all they are saying is "this isn't my fault" after getting bossed around by an immature "ambassador" ?
Yeah right ..The party reacted properly ..i don't critic luke , because vaan was the man he looked up to and one of the few that he could really talk ( guy being another )..so he in the end , he had no way to fall into that trap but NO one except Guy (or maybe tear) knew what problems he had .. and those 2 are the first ones that stay/come back to him.
I also believe that Luke had no chance to inform the party anyhow, because Van pulled him aside already and he could of just killed Luke if he tried to run off.
No Vaan made a clone so that he could change the scorce somehow , killing luke and using ash for example would be against his plans.
Now going on to the part about him being arrogant. Luke has had a fairly sheltered upbringing so he really hasn't learned any morals. He can't even think independently for himself because of his childlike mentality (which you can't really blame for him at all, because he hasn't even had a proper education IIRC.) Also I have pretty good reason to believe that Anise was the catalyst of all of this anyhow. I believe she was the one that leaked the information to Mohs and it got to Van through his subordinates.
Not at this point of the game. Anise was a spy for moths , indeed but moth actions were reported by the rest of the knights .At this point vaan and moth had similar goals and vaan was perfectly in charge..they meet them several times during the journey Before that point.
The battle against Arrietta was completely unnecessary because she aided the party multiple times throughout the plot, and Anise's childish rivalry (that Arrietta wanted no part of mind you) was the reason the duel even started to begin with. Anise telling the party anything would of made the situation better.
The battle was because:
-arrietta felt that anise stole ion from her
-ion died under anime "protection"
-arrieta lost the last of the characters that was her moral support ( ion/"her mother"/vaan)
Arrieta helped them twice maybe and that was all for ion or becuase of ion .. The rivalry was the fruit of the fight over ion, not childlish or anything of the sort ( even if on the surface , surface it seemed by 2 childs fighting. and what does the party has to dointerferring with the fight ? They did kill "her mother" , ans she do hated them for it too.
To be frank, Luke underwent a metamorphosis after the incident and he took full responsibility after everything.
And that's why the party welcomed him back ... Anise involvement with ion was real and his loss hurted her too but she "grew-up".Had she said "this is not my fault , moth forced me to do it , etc etc " and pushing the blame unto others , she would have been just like luke back then and she didn't.

Again sorry for the wall of text

scy

Oh god, why did I try playing as Sophie. She's ... she's ... so fun. Fast attacks and crazy movement. Oh god. This was a terrible idea.

Also, I just got the double Arte count per use book. After Mastering 80% of the A-Arte/B-Artes. GAME. WHY. For the curious, it's the 10 Stamp purchase from the
Turtlez; you also get the Rare Sword for Asbel here (at 7) which is nice at 131 P.Atk/262 C.Atk

While Sophie and Cheria play differently, I don't really think that they heal very differently at all. Sophie is better at single-target healing and Cheria can do a bit better for party healing, but they're still just spells with standard cast times. You can shorten the amount of time it takes to cast by chaining A Artes into B Artes, but a) I don't think I've ever seen the AI actually make use of that, or if it is, then it's not enough of an effect to really change things, and b) shortening the cast time doesn't really help matters if to do it, you need your healers to be close enough to attack in the first place (that is to say, taking two seconds to heal when the enemy can reach you and attack you in one and a half seconds isn't functionally different than taking one second to heal if the enemy can reach you in half a second).

I must have the genius AI, Cheria almost always attacks twice before backstepping into her B-Artes. I don't really use Sophie much but she tends to spot heal mid-combo. Even then, two food items per fight and item use kind of makes both of them the secondary form of healing, not necessarily primary. I don't really even need healing between bosses most of the time. I just let my Eleth Pot grinding food deal with that.

When you start running into bosses that can absorb most of a combo before they'll actually stagger (so you only delay them for 20-25% the length of your combo), who can't be knocked down by moves that are made to do knockdowns, and who two-shot any of your characters from full health, it's easy for it to turn into a matter of having the boss run around killing people as fast as your item cooldown can throw out Life Bottles, hoping that you'll get lucky enough to stabilize the party condition before you completely run out of items. Going on the offense doesn't really help since you can't keep the boss staggered and disrupted enough to stop him from going after your healers, and going on the defense can literally mean switching control from one healer to the other, canceling their heal spell to dodge, and then having to switch back to the other healer to cancel their heal spell to dodge, ad infinitum.

Well, I'm nearing "that" boss on Chaos but every boss up to this point has been kind of a joke. At worst,
Cedric
showed me how serious Chaos was going to be but he still wasn't so bad once I adapted. I guess the optional fight against
Bryce
was pretty rough but he doesn't hit too hard, just attacks fast and doesn't stagger well. Hardest part of that fight was the Paralysis and not really the boss.

The healing in Vesperia was far improved. Each of the three healing characters were best suited to a different sort of fight, and if you doubled up and brought two of them in the same party, they didn't share the same counters the way that the healers in Graces, Abyss, etc do where it's all done via spells.

Not disagreeing on that Vesperia's healers were different, I just don't think the situation is all that bad in Graces like you do. Problems with healing has basically been the least of my concerns on Chaos and I'm halfway through the game.

Rpgmonkey

While Sophie and Cheria play differently, I don't really think that they heal very differently at all. Sophie is better at single-target healing and Cheria can do a bit better for party healing, but they're still just spells with standard cast times. You can shorten the amount of time it takes to cast by chaining A Artes into B Artes, but a) I don't think I've ever seen the AI actually make use of that, or if it is, then it's not enough of an effect to really change things, and b) shortening the cast time doesn't really help matters if to do it, you need your healers to be close enough to attack in the first place (that is to say, taking two seconds to heal when the enemy can reach you and attack you in one and a half seconds isn't functionally different than taking one second to heal if the enemy can reach you in half a second).

When you start running into bosses that can absorb most of a combo before they'll actually stagger (so you only delay them for 20-25% the length of your combo), who can't be knocked down by moves that are made to do knockdowns, and who two-shot any of your characters from full health, it's easy for it to turn into a matter of having the boss run around killing people as fast as your item cooldown can throw out Life Bottles, hoping that you'll get lucky enough to stabilize the party condition before you completely run out of items. Going on the offense doesn't really help since you can't keep the boss staggered and disrupted enough to stop him from going after your healers, and going on the defense can literally mean switching control from one healer to the other, canceling their heal spell to dodge, and then having to switch back to the other healer to cancel their heal spell to dodge, ad infinitum.

The healing in Vesperia was far improved. Each of the three healing characters were best suited to a different sort of fight, and if you doubled up and brought two of them in the same party, they didn't share the same counters the way that the healers in Graces, Abyss, etc do where it's all done via spells.

Unlike Vesperia, Graces' approach to healing isn't really about having one or two characters in the party that bear the burden of healing almost entirely by themselves, though. Spellcasters aren't as capable of sitting around using spells that do nothing to impede the enemy, and instant heal artes would likely not be capable of keeping up with the damage output (and the spread of that damage output across your party) even if they put those in the game. The intent is that you have to make sure that you can function to some degree without someone spamming heals, and that each character is capable of pulling their own weight in battle. For this purpose the game has a bunch of character-specific or general methods of restoring health, way more than Vesperia had or would ever really need.

Of all of the skills and special effects in this game, there's four that restore HP that vary in usefulness depending on how the character is used in battle (Gain, Absorb, Tension, Holy), one that has a chance of recovering health when dying (Rescue), three skills that restore health, revive, or remove conditions when Eleth Burst activates (EB Heal, EB Life, EB Cure), two skills that restore health or remove conditions after a minute has passed, a skill Cheria can learn that restores some of her health whenever she heal someone else (Share), a skill that restores some health when you evade an attack (Parry Heal), a skill that increases the HP restored when revived by a life bottle (Life Gain), and a skill that reduces the wait time after using an item (Survivor). Several titles, accessories, and skills exist that reduce or prevent the chance of ailments. A few characters get one or two titles that slightly boost the HP restored from gels (and as far as I can tell you can switch titles mid-battle with no consequences). Asbel recovers HP when he sheathes his sword based on how many B-Artes he's used. Much later on you get the ability to use Accel Mode, which restores a good chunk of health when activated. A few characters can upgrade artes so that there's a chance of HP recovery when they use them. You get a gazillion different recipes that can activate during or after a battle (many with helpful effects beyond just healing). Besides all this, you then have the usual healing artes.

Tedious and unnecessarily convoluted? Maybe, and I'm not going to say it's better than Vesperia's method or anything, but there's plenty of ways to increase your ability to survive in a battle without the tried and true method of having someone who uses healing artes on the field.

Missable events? Sigh. Luckily yakuza games have drained all my interest away from keeping up with these things. I do them if I see them. Keeps the gray hairs away.

btw: Is there any way to setup presets for strategies? Having to manually change everything when baddies go burst is a bit annoying.

Ok I need help. I'm stuck at
Bathus Citadel.
There's a room where a platform is stuck with the save point and on the bottom floor is a door that won't open. I picked up an accessory for Malik. I can't go forward anywhere. There's a green block I can move on the bottom floor, but all it does is move a platform on the floor with the save point that I can't access. Any help?

EDIT: NM figured it out. Some dumb block I need to move in another room.

barrin87

Has anyone here been able to get the platinum trophy yet? I am curious to see how long and hard it is to complete. It seems that it would take at least two playthroughs for me. I am at the Rockgagong so far and have missed all the timed boss trophies so far.

I am trying to play as much as I can on the hard settings but some things are too much for me. I just unlocked Evil but I have to switch bosses down to Moderate to beat them. I really love how much extra SP you get while fighting on the higher settings though.

I am still fumbling around with the Dualizing though so I never know how good my weapons and armor are. Is +24 to stats the max increase you can add onto crystals? That is the highest I have been able to create so far.

scy

Hm ... Chapter 5 boss
Kurt
wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. In fact, probably the easiest Chaos boss so far. Barely missed the 60s mark too (~10k HP left after 60s).

...then again, I have way more Titles than I probably should, even for Chaos.

demonkaze

Just curious if anyone in the U.K (or even anywhere in the EU) have recieved their copy from Planetaxel yet? Mine was shipped on the 14th and i'm still waiting for it, really regret not going with VGP like I usually do now :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Missable events? Sigh. Luckily yakuza games have drained all my interest away from keeping up with these things. I do them if I see them. Keeps the gray hairs away.

btw: Is there any way to setup presets for strategies? Having to manually change everything when baddies go burst is a bit annoying.

Someone please shed light on this. I can't seem to find a way to do it, but IIRC Vesperia had multiple shortcuts for it. It seems vital to dealing with the enemy eleth burst.

Bladenic

So I finally went ahead and finished the main game. I think I may have to do another final boss beating because I didn't get Sophie's third MA and I don't want to have to go through the Future Arc without it. Asbel's either for that matter. Anyway, time was close to 64 hours. Would have been significantly shorter if not for side events. Probably the shortest Tales game I've played besides Rebirth. Loved it nonetheless. Really enjoyed the final few story scenes and the overall turnout was not bad. The final boss was also really fun on Hard, though not that hard (could've done it on Evil probably since I had leveled up considerably and had lots of skills). Now to beat the Future arc then go for platinum.

Also, speaking of final boss and future arc
I read somewhere that if you use a mystic arte when it goes under 10k it automatically activates the third one for the kill. Does this cause anything interesting to happen in the future arc or something?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just curious if anyone in the U.K (or even anywhere in the EU) have recieved their copy from Planetaxel yet? Mine was shipped on the 14th and i'm still waiting for it, really regret not going with VGP like I usually do now :(
That seems a bit long. I received my game this Tuesday.

Ties

Banned
Also, speaking of final boss and future arc
I read somewhere that if you use a mystic arte when it goes under 10k it automatically activates the third one for the kill. Does this cause anything interesting to happen in the future arc or something?
No.

It's just there so the battle would end quicker. I appropriately had Sophie use her third MA. ;)

I'm at the
Lastalia Shaft
in future arc and I'm stuck. I came to a save point on Base 6 at a 4-way crossroads. If I go north there is what looks like a pit or something. A large circle that looks like there could be some sort of battle or something there. South is a warp that takes me back to the shuttle. West is a warp that takes me back to the entrance of the area.

I double checked with the FAQ on Gamefaqs and it says "Go north for a battle". But there's no battle there, nothing. It just won't let me proceed past the edge of the platform and into the arena or whatever it is. Anyone know what I have to do?

Bladenic

Is it possible to get Aston's sword for free somehow? The guide on Tales forum says there's a post-game event that lets you if I remember correctly but talking to the Turtlez still makes me have to pay 120k.

Pangya

I need some help with the
Zhonecage dungeon reaching floor 10
. I'm trying to make an item with a high enough value to reach it... does anyone know what should be made?

Ties

Banned
Is it possible to get Aston's sword for free somehow? The guide on Tales forum says there's a post-game event that lets you if I remember correctly but talking to the Turtlez still makes me have to pay 120k.
Yes.

Fight the
Dark Turtlez at Zhonecage
for the sword.

froliq

Got mine friday. Shipped on the 14th aswell.

BluWacky

I'm in the same boat, but you know, these things happen I guess. I do regret not going with VGP and probably won't use Planetaxel again, but international shipping is an unpredictable beast. In the meantime I've replayed a bit of Destiny 2, Rebirth and Vesperia, so I've not been totally Tales-free!

Knowing my luck, I'll get a card through the door tomorrow saying customs charges are due, so I won't be able to pick it up until next weekend when I can get to the post office.

Torraz

I guess if it doesn't arrive here tomorrow then i'll email them to see if I can do anything.

Once, I believe a shipment from planetaxel (then it was still called axelmusic) appeared to have been lost. I think I had to wait 25 days before they would do anything.

Ties

Banned
I need some help with the
Zhonecage dungeon reaching floor 10
. I'm trying to make an item with a high enough value to reach it... does anyone know what should be made?
Make Cheria's ultimate weapon or Pascal's Dream Flange, which is made from a Rare Staff. Here's some stuff from Kurusu that will boost Dream Flange's selling value:
Kurusu said:
- The nature that boosts the selling value most is actually Dangerous.
- And chance is, the dream flange can go into dangerous nature with just one good-chosen fragment. So I usually use a high-leveled random fragment to reach dangerous nature.
- Since in the PS3 version, a Dream Flange +1 is not enough, I build arms.
- Then, I clear the penultimage challenge battle for an easy rank 7 (Guy-sa), level 7 Rise fragment.
- Then, I use that fragment on the dangerous Dream Flange +1. Since it's a rank 7 fragment, the weapon's nature will remain.
- I get a Dream Flange +2 that is plenty enough to enter Zhone Cage's last floor.

Actually, I think there is a special post battle skit if you finish the final boss with Maliks
Serenade
Really now? That's interesting, I'm going to give it a try. Going for 100% skit completion.

Torraz

Make Cheria's ultimate weapon or Pascal's Dream Flange, which is made from a Rare Staff. Here's some stuff from Kurusu that will boost Dream Flange's selling value:

Really now? That's interesting, I'm going to give it a try. Going for 100% skit completion.

Updated my post but I see you quoted me while I did that.

Sorry, I meant a special "victory scene conversation/scene" not a skit you trigger outside of battle.

Pangya

I have Cheria's ultimate weapon, do you know what quality I should be looking for? It has an initial value for 40k, and there's quite a bit of shard combinations...

Ties

Banned
I have Cheria's ultimate weapon, do you know what quality I should be looking for? It has an initial value for 40k, and there's quite a bit of shard combinations...
Dangerous Quality, definitely.
Updated my post but I see you quoted me while I did that.

Sorry, I meant a special "victory scene conversation/scene" not a skit you trigger outside of battle.
Oh alright. I'm going to check out that YT link then. (' 3')

Top Bottom