• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

kewlmyc

You know I just realized. And mind you this annoyed me with Vesperia. Sophie has an outfit in the game
after killing fodra queen
. However, you can't get it as an in-game costume? What? It's like the same thing with Estelle not being able to use that dress in Vesperia. *sigh*.

Hahaha, same in this game
I would love to use the costumes that the gang were using during the play. Hubert in a dress would be hilarious to fight with

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Also Asbel's EVA is super low. Is Evasion the stat in charge of enemies staggering/confusing you? Because I swear one hit from any enemy and I'm staggered and confused, then the enemies proceed to wallop on me to almost death or kill me. And I swear it takes FOREVER to get out of stagger as Asbel. Ugh.
Weird, in my game he has the highest EVA in my party. He also gets a lot of titles that have Evasion +5 or Evasion +7.

Phenomic

WE WILL PERSERVERE

BLUE EARTH

that was so dope

My question is... the first person to fight that boss. How did they even manage to figure that out? It's like 'Simons Quest Kneel against a random wall for a Tornado hidden'... to me, I don't think it explains it anywhere in game (nothing I found at least).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My question is... the first person to fight that boss. How did they even manage to figure that out? It's like 'Simons Quest Kneel against a random wall for a Tornado' hidden to me, I don't think it explains it anywhere in game (nothing I found at least).

Blue Earth was done in a previous game. Once people figured out her MA was the exact same they tried and figured it out.

Do the sage/lavender/etc make a noticeable difference?

In old Tales games, when they increased your HP/TP/stats by a percentage as opposed to a set value, I liked to use them at the end of the game in order to get the biggest benefit.

As a result, I never use the herbs I get, even now. But for my 2nd playthrough I might dualize and use all my red herbs since they'll carry over.

Keep Sophie in the party with any of the other 7 characters and she'll gain a title that talks about how she learned to use their weapon style, it'll lead to an arte that attacks like they do.

Here are all of Sophie's instant b-artes (offensive ones) ...

Thanks for that. Turns out I have most of them.

Cheapest place to import this game? Not available on PSN, I guess?

To which region?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They don't. He says what's on-screen so yeah. Sorry Schala.
Huh? Wait. Then what are
Vent Flèche and Renverse Raison
called in the English version? :/

Agreed, Hubert has one of the best voices of the entire cast. Steve Staley is the voice actor. You can find the entire cast here.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/604158-tales-of-graces-f/62300885
Thanks. Oh, he's the guy who did Ippo and Mormo, then.

Really liking his take on Hubert, though.

I quite liked Laura Bailey as Cheria.
Not much of a fan, tbh. I dunno, I think I might feel like I've heard her do much better in other roles like Kaine, Rise, Serah, etc. Or I might be too used to the Japanese voice actress.

Blue Earth was done in a previous game. Once people figured out her MA was the exact same they tried and figured it out.
Yep! Blue Earth was in
Rebirth and Eternia
before.

Do the sage/lavender/etc make a noticeable difference?

In old Tales games, when they increased your HP/TP/stats by a percentage as opposed to a set value, I liked to use them at the end of the game in order to get the biggest benefit.

As a result, I never use the herbs I get, even now. But for my 2nd playthrough I might dualize and use all my red herbs since they'll carry over.
I just dualize them to red herbs to get more points in the mixer and increase the slot value. I don't really use them.

Actually I hoard all of my stat-increasing items in almost every game I play. >.>

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Huh? Wait. Then what are
Vent Flèche and Renverse Raison
called in the English version? :/

Thanks. Oh, he's the guy who did Ippo and Mormo, then.

Really liking his take on Hubert, though.

Not much of a fan, tbh. I dunno, I think I might feel like I've heard her do much better in other roles like Kaine, Rise, Serah, etc. Or I might be too used to the Japanese voice actress.

Yep! Blue Earth was in
Rebirth and Eternia
before.

I just dualize them to red herbs to get more points in the mixer and increase the slot value. I don't really use them.

Actually I hoard all of my stat-increasing items in almost every game I play. >.>

Tempest Arrow and No Quarter

Also about LB. You know it's bad when you think an American VA has more of a squeak than the Japanese VA. Also, Cheria in JP >>>>>>>>> English. Just saying.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tempest Arrow and No Quarter

Also about LB. You know it's bad when you think an American VA has more of a squeak than the Japanese VA. Also, Cheria in JP >>>>>>>>> English. Just saying.
So they aren't en français anymore, huh?

I guess that's the logical thing to do since the game is for primarily an anglophone/monolingual audience, but I felt the French had a little more dignified flavour to it. Oh well. I'm from Canada so we had to learn French anyway.

Aha, I don't think she's awful. I simply felt like the Japanese actress did more with the character, though again, this might be due to more exposure to her. People with experience with only the English version (or even people who've played both versions) will certainly feel differently since this is just an opinion of mine. That's cool too.

Bladenic

Okay, I'm only in the first future arc dungeon but:

1. Richard is already a better and more awesome character than he ever had a chance at being in the main arc. Much better. And surprisingly funny too. It's a shame he never got a chance in the main game, save for the child arc.

2. The skits are seriously funny so far. Loving them. Malik is just sooooo awesome. Also loled at Anise and Nanaly getting a shoutout in the marriage skit. Weird that Asbel mispronounced Anise but oh well, it was cool.

Error

Asbel is starting to piss me off; disco suit + pensive/angsty tone towards everything is a particularly grating combo.

I gave him Yuri costume as quickly as I got it.

Inomata is such a bad character designer. Only her ToD designs are decent.

so countering works by holding down a button and hoping for the best?

Is there an easier way of maxing out stamp cards aside from spending an absolutely ungodly amount of money at each store? I've got level 8 Turtlez and if I just keep buying and selling equip it costs me about half a million to get 1 level.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I gave him Yuri costume as quickly as I got it.

Inomata is such a bad character designer. Only her ToD designs are decent.

so countering works by holding down a button and hoping for the best?

I thought Cheria and Malik were good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like Inomata's female artwork whereas I like Fujishima's male artwork actually.

By the way, how or when does Accel mode transfer over to my previous record (aka the starred save file after you complete the game)? What else transfers?

Ties

Banned
I like Inomata's female artwork whereas I like Fujishima's male artwork actually.

By the way, how or when does Accel mode transfer over to my previous record (aka the starred save file after you complete the game)? What else transfers?
It transfers after you have completed F Arc, you will be transferred back to your previous save in the main game and you should have everything you have acquired during F Arc. Be sure to get Richard's Narikiri Doll if you liked playing as him!

I have no fucking clue how to play Pascal.
Enflame > Guard 'till Full CC > 1CC > 2CC > Sudden Impact > B Arte.

If you are early into the game and/or just got Pascal then:
1CC > 2CC > Wind Needle
or
1CC > 2CC > Dash > FoE B Arte of your choice
Where is Sophie's vestments?
Search for the coordinates -381X, 129Y and you'll find a new location. Fight the boss there and her Vestments should be in a treasure chest in the back. Also, equip a title that reduces damage by 50% and set everyone to Guard or you're going to die. If you don't have the title, you can go the alternative way and set your battle difficulty to Easy, use an All Divide, and make everyone Guard.

Edgeward

If you are early into the game and/or just got Pascal then:
1CC > 2CC > Wind Needle
or
1CC > 2CC > Dash > FoE B Arte of your choice

Should I be up close to do this, or should I just let the first attack whiff and just shoot from afar?

ULTROS!

Cool, how do I get the Narikiri dolls?

bubnbob

Banned

You have to synthesize for certain items, then someone at Telos Astue converts them to a title. And you have to do it for each character (6 per title, per character - lots of converting and synthesizing)

... needless to say, I didnt bother

Ties

Banned
Should I be up close to do this, or should I just let the first attack whiff and just shoot from afar?
Depends on which attack pattern you want to use.

For the mid/late game pattern:
Close enough so 2CC and Sudden Impact hit. It's better if you get the Enflamed 1CC to hit the enemy because it staggers them a bunch, but it's not needed. Shouldn't really matter which B Arte you decide to cast here, but you should be sticking to Cyanide/Fearful Storm/Maelstorm

For the first early game attack pattern:
You should be relatively close in terms of proximity so your 2CC and Wind Needle can hit. 1CC can whiff or hit the enemy, it doesn't really matter.

For the second:
Close enough so 2CC can hit, but far enough so you don't get bombarded by enemy attacks. The dash puts you in close proximity so make sure the B Arte you are casting doesn't have an absurdly long cast time.
If you're curious about the materials needed to dualize them here they are:
COMBINATIONS

Asbel = Corrupted Edge + Everlight (To make everlight you need Luminous Core+ Perilous liquid)

Sophie = Mythical Scale + Giants Shield

Hubert = Killer Fang + Godwood

Cheria = Alluring Feather + Needle of Extinction

Malik = Arcane Gear + Meteorite

Pascal = Fantabulous Fur + Classified Seed

Richard = Incredible Bone + Demons claw

Who to get ITEMS from

Luminous Core drops from Hoploid, Evocatoid, Auxilioid

Perilous Liquid drops from Luminescent Roper

Corrupted Edge drops from Sigma Enemies

Mythical Scale drops from Sand Drake, Core Drake

Giants Shield drops from Natural Star

Killer Fang drops from Labyrinth Lizard, Goliath Bat, Legendary Wyvern

Godwood drops from Sky Treant

Alluring Feather drops from Hellstorm Harpy, Radiant Eagle

Needle of Extinction drops from Braid Spider

Arcane Gear drops from Wailing Golem, Platebreaker

Meteorite drops from Blitzer Bear

Fantabulous fur drops from Horkew Kamuy

Classified Seed drops from Midnight Shade

Incredible Bone drops from Terrane Boar

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am not sure if I might have misunderstood the concept of titles. If I learned those skills and stats from those title, It will became permanent in my stats and moveset right?

I was not sure now since you mention that I have to equip the title in order to get the effect?

I saw someone suggest that I only target to learn all 5 skills and don't master the titles, so am I on wrong track?

Edgeward

I am not sure if I might have misunderstood the concept of titles. If I learned those skills and stats from those title, It will became permanent in my stats and moveset right?

I was not sure now since you mention that I have to equip the title in order to get the effect?

I saw someone suggest that I only target to learn all 5 skills and don't master the titles, so am I on wrong track?

Ranks 1 3 and 5 bonuses are permanent. 2 and 4 only apply when you equip the title is my understanding.

Ties

Banned

Yes, if you learned the skills and stats from that particular title the change is permanent.

Equipping a title simply adds better bonuses, like for example. If you equip a Poisonproof title for Asbel he will become immune to the Poison status effect.

Mastering titles just make the bonuses even better, so if you have acquired the bonus Cast Time Down +3%, mastering it makes it 6% IIRC.

Error

there's an equipment effect that's only available if you have that title equipped. press O I think? to see the equipment effect.

some equipment effect (EE) have stuff like 'ACC/EVA up by 8%' or 'Hold X while getting hit to counter with Demon Fang (low)' something like that. You can increase the EE by mastering the title.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Narikiri Dolls are most certainly worth it, imo. Especially against Rockgagan, levelling up Eleth energy, or if you want to chain combos. Or if you want to do it for novelty's sake.

Typae said:
Yeah, this is pretty much what I do sans the Enflame sometimes. Pascal's really great when you finally realize how to use her. Easy way to get her titles too.

Though I much prefer using Cheria, Asbel, and Hubert manually. >.>

Sagitario

At what point does the battle system click? I just got [new?]
Sophie
back in the adult arc [Lhant Hill] and I am battling with a higher difficulty setting.

I am enjoying it, but I feel like I am just spamming attacks, not really knowing if I am doing it correctly.

I mean, the execution seems simple enough (for example: 1CC -> 2CC -> B-Arte -> 3CC)... but I don't know if I am doing it right, if the artes are connecting or what artes I am performing [also, a practice mode would have been greatly appreciated :p]

BTW, was the duplication glitch fixed in the NA release?

I just started trying to farm in the uncharted sandstretch and I'm utterly disappointed. I put it on hard and I'm getting only like 5k exp per fight and a few thousand gold. Is this really it?

Negator

Sophie
back in the adult arc [Lhant Hill] and I am battling with a higher difficulty setting.

I am enjoying it, but I feel like I am just spamming attacks, not really knowing if I am doing it correctly.

I mean, the execution seems simple enough (for example: 1CC -> 2CC -> B-Arte -> 3CC)... but I don't know if I am doing it right, if the artes are connecting or what artes I am performing [also, a practice mode would have been greatly appreciated :p]

Some enemies are weak to A-Artes and some are weak to B-Artes. Some enemies are also weak to some of your arte properties, and some artes flow into combos more easily than others. Just wait until you get more.

Dupe glitch was fixed in NA version apparently.

I feel like this game is never going to end... I'm level 44, I've played for like 40 hours, and just completed chapter 4. Am I really slow? It feels like the story is barely getting to the halfway point right now

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sophie

It was (unfortunately) fixed on the NA release, yeah.

As for when does the battle system click, wait until you get more characters and better artes, as usual when it comes to Tales games. The system didn't click with me immediately too, until after I had a 4-person party. You do seem like you're doing it right. There isn't really a right or wrong way to play this, imo.

If you're having issues, are you just using the X button artes? They have a tree in the Artes menu, and the attacks change depending on what direction you push (or null direction if you're not pushing a direction). So, if you're pushing in no direction for the entire attack sequence, you're going to use:
Quick Slash -> Nimble Fang --> Dual Impact -> Burial Blade.

But say if you push to the left during the attack string before you're supposed to make a third attack, it'll be different:
Quick Slash -> Nimble Fang --> Wolfwind Fang (pushed to the left with the L-stick) -> Burial Blade (since you're early in the game, Burial Blade will be your CC4 attack until you grinded titles).

Or if you mix up your sequence. Let's pretend we're doing Left-Right-Left-Right
Quick Slash --> Gush Stroke --> Phantom Pulse --> Burial Blade

This system gets better when you get more titles and get more attacks. So let's use me as an example. I have Asbel a little later in the game, so let's pretend to mix up the directions so that I'm making him use different artes. Let's pretend I'm fighting bandits. I want to use artes that'll be strong against humans, so I'll use... Left-Null-Right-Left:
Quick-Slash (null skill, but I pushed left anyway out of habit or I'm around-stepping) --> Nimble Fang (null; just a strike attack) --> Phantom Pulse (right; strong against humans) --> Heaven's Wrath (left; strong against humans; inflicts poison)

Not to mention that certain attacks carry strengths against certain types of enemies and you'll get bonuses and boosts if you hit all of those weaknesses (ex: the A-Arte Wing Crush is strong against insect-type beasts; the B-Arte Infernal Torrent is strong against humans), so that's something to bear in mind when you're used to the battle system.

O button Artes are easy enough since they're pretty much like the regular special artes in other Tales games.

The system clicked with me when I started to mind the CC gauge, and especially when it went up. Also when I tried to go back to TotAbyss and got frustrated with one battle. lol

I just started trying to farm in the uncharted sandstretch and I'm utterly disappointed. I put it on hard and I'm getting only like 5k exp per fight and a few thousand gold. Is this really it?

I thought that was a pretty good idea before I entered the final dungeon. You can use some eleth mixer books to boost your progress, too.

I didn't actually check, but I think the enemies of the final dungeon yield more than Uncharted. (Got about 300K Gald going through it, but that includes
various minibosses which give up to 30,000 Gald and tons of EXP
.) Either way, because the Future arc starts from where you've left off, enemies will yield even more exp.

I thought that was a pretty good idea before I entered the final dungeon. You can use some eleth mixer books to boost your progress, too.

I didn't actually check, but I think the enemies of the final dungeon yield more than Uncharted. (Got about 300K Gald going through it, but that includes
various minibosses which give up to 30,000 Gald and tons of EXP
.) Either way, because the Future arc starts from where you've left off, enemies will yield even more exp.

I'm actually done with future arc, but the enemies in the sandstretch just seemed WAY overpowered for the amount of exp / gald they reward. I was getting almost as much per fight in the sandshroud ruins and the monsters were a joke compared to the sandstretch.

Sagitario

Some enemies are weak to A-Artes and some are weak to B-Artes. Some enemies are also weak to some of your arte properties, and some artes flow into combos more easily than others. Just wait until you get more.

Dupe glitch was fixed in NA version apparently.

Thanks.

It was (unfortunately) fixed on the NA release, yeah.

As for when does the battle system click, wait until you get more characters and better artes, as usual when it comes to Tales games. The system didn't click with me immediately too, until after I had a 4-person party. You do seem like you're doing it right. There isn't really a right or wrong way to play this, imo.

If you're having issues, are you just using the X button artes? They have a tree in the Artes menu, and the attacks change depending on what direction you push (or null direction if you're not pushing a direction). So, if you're pushing in no direction for the entire attack sequence, you're going to use:
Quick Slash -> Nimble Fang --> Dual Impact -> Burial Blade.

But say if you push to the left during the attack string before you're supposed to make a third attack, it'll be different:
Quick Slash -> Nimble Fang --> Wolfwind Fang (pushed to the left with the L-stick) -> Burial Blade (since you're early in the game, Burial Blade will be your CC4 attack until you grinded titles).

Or if you mix up your sequence. Let's pretend we're doing Left-Right-Left-Right
Quick Slash --> Gush Stroke --> Phantom Pulse --> Burial Blade

This system gets better when you get more titles and get more attacks. So let's use me as an example. I have Asbel a little later in the game, so let's pretend to mix up the directions so that I'm making him use different artes. Let's pretend I'm fighting bandits. I want to use artes that'll be strong against humans, so I'll use... Left-Null-Right-Left:
Quick-Slash (null skill, but I pushed left anyway out of habit or I'm around-stepping) --> Nimble Fang (null; just a strike attack) --> Phantom Pulse (right; strong against humans) --> Heaven's Wrath (left; strong against humans; inflicts poison)

Not to mention that certain attacks carry strengths against certain types of enemies and you'll get bonuses and boosts if you hit all of those weaknesses (ex: the A-Arte Wing Crush is strong against insect-type beasts; the B-Arte Infernal Torrent is strong against humans), so that's something to bear in mind when you're used to the battle system.

O button Artes are easy enough since they're pretty much like the regular special artes in other Tales games.

Dammit! The duplication glitch was too good :( ... WHY DID THEY FIX IT? D:

About the bold text:
I figured as much... I am constantly running out of CC to perform longer or better combos (but thankfully CC refills quickly when blocking, side-stepping, etc.), so I guessed that it would be like previous Tales games: usually you get to a point in the game where you get the right character's skill/attribute, better artes and enough TP to actually perform well (or decently enough) in battles.

So, it's a matter of a few things:
1) waiting for other party members
2) get more artes
3) get a bigger CC bar
4) and most importantly, get familiar with the A-artes tree and each branch strengths

Thank you so much for the explanation. I will keep it mind and re-read it when I play tomorrow (well, if I get the chance to play tomorrow :p)

Also, I am surprised by your memory: remembering all the artes names, positions, properties.
Once again, thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

ULTROS!

Do I need to do 200 consecutive hard battles to unlock evil?

No, you just have to fight that many battles. I drop down the difficulty for bosses and that didn't reset any sort of counter for the difficulty levels

barrin87

It's fantastic that you don't have to fight 200 consecutive battles to unlock Evil or I would have never unlocked it. I have already unlocked Evil and am trying to unlock Chaos.

I was finally able to beat my first boss on hard! I didn't realize I was about to fight Dispater so I didn't switch the difficulty down to moderate which is what I have had to fight all previous battles on but I was barely able to make it. Once I took the first one out it was a breeze though.

Top Bottom