• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm ... Chapter 5 boss
Kurt
wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. In fact, probably the easiest Chaos boss so far. Barely missed the 60s mark too (~10k HP left after 60s).

...then again, I have way more Titles than I probably should, even for Chaos.
Tell me about it. I've already gotten the 50 titles for most characters, and Asbel's on his way to 100 titles in total and I'm only in Chapter 3 still.

By doing that, bosses become much easier on Chaos. Like, the bosses so far have been pretty easy on Chaos, but this is also likely the case that I've been through the bosses few times before across two playthroughs.

Oh god, why did I try playing as Sophie. She's ... she's ... so fun. Fast attacks and crazy movement. Oh god. This was a terrible idea.
Wait until you get access to Jude in Xillia. He's awesome.

Has anyone here been able to get the platinum trophy yet? I am curious to see how long and hard it is to complete. It seems that it would take at least two playthroughs for me. I am at the Rockgagong so far and have missed all the timed boss trophies so far.
On my first JP playthrough, I got it in 110+ hours on one playthrough. You know what? It's way less stressful if you do it on two playthroughs because the Grade Shop stuff helps out a lot. Edit: The most I've heard is 150 hours.

It's quite grindy, but I don't think the "beat this extra enemy" trophies are that difficult outside of the
Zone Cage
one.

Does anyone know if the Eleth Pot Efficiency Up grade shop option works for materials?
I've heard that it does, but I'm not entirely sure.

bubnbob

Banned
Also, speaking of final boss and future arc
I read somewhere that if you use a mystic arte when it goes under 10k it automatically activates the third one for the kill. Does this cause anything interesting to happen in the future arc or something?

I just did that. It's a badass way to end the fight. Here's a guide snippet:

Once she reaches 6%HP, she'll try to use Dual the Sol. This works exactly the
same way as Aquarius Sphere, except it's much more powerful, and she doesn't
need Eleth Break to use it. It still covers the whole field and can't kill you
though.

There's a very huge difference though, and it's the fact that she can use 6
insane extensions in a row after that mystic arte:
- As she uses Dual the Sol, hold the left stick of the controller to the left
and the beta arte button (should be O unless you're using an Asian PS3). The
mystic arte will extend into Aquarius Sphere.
- As she uses this special Aquarius Sphere, hold the alpha arte button (should
be X). The mystic arte will extend into Prism Stars. Watch out because any
extension from Prism Stars onwards will kill you if mess up.
- As she uses Prism Stars, hold triangle. The mystic arte will extend into
Shining Gate.
- As she uses Shining Gate, hold square. The mystic arte will extend into Nova
Explosion.
- As she uses Nova Explosion, hold triangle and the beta arte button (should
be O). The mystic arte will extend into Maxwell Minimus.
- As she uses Maxwell Minimus, hold square, X and O. The mystic arte will
extend into Dimensional Material.
- Finally, as she uses Dimensional Material, hold square, triangle, X and O.
Your party will counter with Blue Earth, which should end the battle.

You'll get a huge boost of exp, SP and Gald at the end of the battle for using
Blue Earth.
It also fully heals your characters (completely useless since you clear the
game) but it doesn't revive them, so make sure they're alive to get the exp
boost.

edit: This is for Future Arc's final boss, I dont know any special things for Main Arc

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Damn, the Queen Slime boss is kicking my ass right now - playing on Moderate. Any tips?

I would kill the little slimes first whenever they appear because they can generate more and that can cause problems.

Bladenic

Yes.

Fight the
Dark Turtlez at Zhonecage
for the sword.

How doable is that? I'm level 70 with everyone. Too hard? What floor is that guy on?

I kind of just wanna do the future arc and I have plenty of money so I'm fine with just buying it.

Ties

Banned
How doable is that? I'm level 70 with everyone. Too hard? What floor is that guy on?

I kind of just wanna do the future arc and I have plenty of money so I'm fine with just buying it.
He's on Floor 4 IIRC. I'd say at least ~85 for that floor on Zhonecage, maybe higher.

To be honest, I think you're just better off buying the sword because you can dualize a far better one after Future Arc.

Bladenic

Meh, bought. Finally got everyone's third MA now. Weird to get Asbel's last. Oh well.

So now if I beat the game again, can I just save over the same save file? I already began a Future arc playthrough but didn't get far so I'll just redo the first few parts so I can have the new MAs and weapons I acquired!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Future Arc's ending is so good. I feel bad for any Wii buyers. Or at least thank them for beta testing.
The F Arc ending is way better than the vanilla game's ending, imo.

Hey, if you guys get the Xillia Director's Cut, then you can thank the beta testers in that case too. :lol

Meh, bought. Finally got everyone's third MA now. Weird to get Asbel's last. Oh well.

So now if I beat the game again, can I just save over the same save file? I already began a Future arc playthrough but didn't get far so I'll just redo the first few parts so I can have the new MAs and weapons I acquired!
Yeah, I believe so.

bubnbob

Banned
lol, beat the last boss on Moderate. Go me.

Might do a NG+ when I feel like playing this again, since I didnt get a single 60 second trophy.

Overall I really enjoyed this Tales. I hope Xillia makes its way over.

Error

the
bryce
sidequest was fun, beat him on hard took a lot of pre-battle preparations though. beat him at level ~38

once you get him down to 25% he uses an aimless attack that just destroys anyone.

Bladenic

Oh jeez I accidentally saved over my save file after beating the boss in the main arc with a future arc save. That shouldn't be a huge deal though right? After finishing the arc I just return to the main arc anyway correct?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh jeez I accidentally saved over my save file after beating the boss in the main arc with a future arc save. That shouldn't be a huge deal though right? After finishing the arc I just return to the main arc anyway correct?
Yeah, when you load the F Arc clear save you should be able to go back to the main arc at final save point in the main game.

Edit: English Hubert is pretty cool. It's nice to get back to maining him.

lol, he still says Instant Valse during his Blast Caliber.

Mr.Fresh

Anyone have any idea on how i can stay alive in the optional battle against
Lambdas Hunamoid Body?
He insta kills me once his hp goes to unknown. Im on level 61 if that helps.

Beats

Anyone have any idea on how i can stay alive in the optional battle against
Lambdas Hunamoid Body?
He insta kills me once his hp goes to unknown. Im on level 61 if that helps.

Equip titles that reduce damage over a certain amount by 50%. Set the rest of your members to guard only, and hope someone lives when it happens.

Paches

How long is this game? I am on hour 40 and I don't feel like I am close to the end

I am at
Going to some fortress on the other planet and just cured Sophie

Ties

Banned
How long is this game? I am on hour 40 and I don't feel like I am close to the end

I am at
Average person not going for any sidequests afterwards would approximately take about ~3 or so hours.

Bladenic

Yeah, when you load the F Arc clear save you should be able to go back to the main arc at final save point in the main game.

Edit: English Hubert is pretty cool. It's nice to get back to maining him.

lol, he still says Instant Valse during his Blast Caliber.

Heard they retranslated it after the voicework? Seems silly/redundant but Instant Valse was probably easier to say than Broadside Waltz too. Hubert's English VA was great during the MAs. I thought they were all good except for Cheria during the first one, but she's fine during the other two.

bubnbob

Banned

I am at

I did the main story, future story, and did some sidequests and a bunch of inn requests and clocked out at 65. Normal difficulty.

Paches

I did the main story, future story, and did some sidequests and a bunch of inn requests and clocked out at 65. Normal difficulty.

Normal? Shieeeet, I am bouncing between Evil and Chaos and have ended up grinding quite a bit at a few points. Oh well, the quest continues forward.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Heard they retranslated it after the voicework? Seems silly/redundant but Instant Valse was probably easier to say than Broadside Waltz too. Hubert's English VA was great during the MAs. I thought they were all good except for Cheria during the first one, but she's fine during the other two.
That's a little silly, imo, and it makes it a little... inconsistent, I guess.

I hope they retain the French in Hubert's other Blast Calibers. I thought the multiple languages thing regarding his Blast Calibers (since valse or variants of it is "waltz" in multiple Romance languages and Danish) reinforced that a) he was
raised in the richest and most prosperous city in the world by a wealthy businessman
, and b) he's pretty snooty too.

Super-glad to hear that he's retained his general tone from the JP version. He still sounds cool in battle bits. Who did his English voice? I'm a little impressed.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I hope they retain the French in Hubert's other Blast Calibers. I thought the multiple languages thing regarding his Blast Calibers (since valse or variants of it is "waltz" in multiple Romance languages and Danish) reinforced that a) he was
raised in the richest and most prosperous city in the world by a wealthy businessman

Super-glad to hear that he's retained his general tone from the JP version. He still sounds cool in battle bits. Who did his English voice? I'm a little impressed.

They don't. He says what's on-screen so yeah. Sorry Schala.

Agreed, Hubert has one of the best voices of the entire cast. Steve Staley is the voice actor. You can find the entire cast here.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/604158-tales-of-graces-f/62300885

ChanHuk

Banned
About 10 hours into this game. Sometimes I don't know if I'm chaining things right or just button mashing.

Pascal is the best character but she is fucking useless in battles. My party comprises of Asbel, Sophie, Cheria, and Malik.

Asbel reminds me of Ned Stark.

Ties

Banned
About 10 hours into this game. Sometimes I don't know if I'm chaining things right or just button mashing.

Pascal is the best character but she is fucking useless in battles. My party comprises of Asbel, Sophie, Cheria, and Malik.

Nuh uh.

Her A Artes absolutely destroy any monster that is weak to A Artes, and her B Artes are exceptionally good as crowd control. I mixed and matched between Cheria and Pascal, because Cheria was pretty meh before she learned Nurse.

Pascal is better in your hands then in the AI's hands, this is also true of Hubert on higher difficulties. Hubert can attack he just can't dodge/survive.

ChanHuk

Banned
Nuh uh.

Her A Artes absolutely destroy any monster that is weak to A Artes, and her B Artes are exceptionally good as crowd control. I mixed and matched between Cheria and Pascal, because Cheria was pretty meh before she learned Nurse.

Cheria is just an awesome healer so far. I hear she becomes Mother Theresa when she learns Nurse. Sophie is great, a tank and a healer.

EDIT: Yeah I pretty much just control Asbel, Pascal controlled by the AI seems to be like a concussed child.

kayos90

Pascal is better in your hands then in the AI's hands, this is also true of Hubert on higher difficulties. Hubert can attack he just can't dodge/survive.

This is true. For some reason the AI isn't very smart for Pascal. Anyway, Hubert is a glass cannon melee so he needs to be manually controlled if anything. I never have Pascal and Hubert at the same time. It's like a death sentence.

This is true. For some reason the AI isn't very smart for Pascal. Anyway, Hubert is a glass cannon melee so he needs to be manually controlled if anything. I never have Pascal and Hubert at the same time. It's like a death sentence.

Unless you have two human players playing as Hubert and Pascal, then watch death rain down! :D

I'd love to play as Sophie, but I can't trust myself enough to be a healer. Plus, if I spend all my time healing, I won't have fun with the fights.

Also, I dislike using artes that have a casting time (as opposed to artes like Asbel's). Sophie has a few good ones (like one where she jumps in the air and showers spikes on enemies below while using a repetitive voice clip) but most of hers requires time to cast.

As for Hubert, his A artes have a wide attack range, but he's a little too slow for my tastes. Despite that, he's my secondary character, especially in the Future arc when
the characters split up into two groups, Symphonia style. Why don't Tales games do that too much anymore...?

Error

the good thing about Hubert is that he has a high ACC, which almost guarantees staggering enemies but the trade off is low EVA so he gets staggered when the enemies sneeze.

I'd love to play as Sophie, but I can't trust myself enough to be a healer. Plus, if I spend all my time healing, I won't have fun with the fights.

Also, I dislike using artes that have a casting time (as opposed to artes like Asbel's). Sophie has a few good ones (like one where she jumps in the air and showers spikes on enemies below while using a repetitive voice clip) but most of hers requires time to cast.

Sophie has at least 8 artes that don't require any charge times, that's more then you have slots to choose from lol

Bladenic

Nah, she's the hardest to maintain in battle for sure but hardly useless. She's incredibly strong both with A-Artes and B-Artes, and she has some good support artes as well. Celestial Eight murders everything too. And that sounds like a great party, which I surprisingly never tried. I actually ignored poor Sophie pretty handily on my playthrough, though looking back, she was a much better healer than Cheria early-mid game. Cheria only comes into her own when she gets Resurrection/Nurse/Revitalize and gets some area expanding and healing prowess increasing skills for her other spells. Sophie unfortunately gets worse since Invigorate sucks and Rejuvenate can't cut it late in the game.

Also Asbel's EVA is super low. Is Evasion the stat in charge of enemies staggering/confusing you? Because I swear one hit from any enemy and I'm staggered and confused, then the enemies proceed to wallop on me to almost death or kill me. And I swear it takes FOREVER to get out of stagger as Asbel. Ugh.

ChanHuk

Banned
Pascal just doesn't play to my style. I like tanking it up and dishing out melee, so I can't/won't control her. Like everyone has indicated the AI is just stupid with her.

I haven't gotten to the point of getting Hubert, but I'm sure my party will be Asbel, Hubert, Sophie, and Cherie. Probably let Asbel go at it himself while controlling Hubert. Cherie as a full time healer and Sophie tank/heal

Sophie has at least 8 artes that don't require any charge times, that's more then you have slots to choose from lol
I found about 4 of them last I checked. I'm going to have to try her again.

Uhh... Sophie is your tank rofl. Just saying. Highest Def in the game.
Yes, she is essentially a battle tank. :p

I actually haven't looked at anyone's stats, but I've noticed she rarely ever gets KO'd on my team, while Cheria does easily. It's sort of annoying...

Uhh... Sophie is your tank rofl. Just saying. Highest Def in the game.

Sophie and Asbel are tanks lol Ironstance makes Asbel pretty awesome

I found about 4 of them last I checked. I'm going to have to try her again.

Keep Sophie in the party with any of the other 7 characters and she'll gain a title that talks about how she learned to use their weapon style, it'll lead to an arte that attacks like they do.

Here are all of Sophie's instant b-artes (offensive ones)

Rapier Rush (it's more a counter move but it's instant)
Sword Assault
Dualblade Spin
Dagger Splash
Bladerang Hurl
Shotstaff Blast
Gauntlet Blitz
Slash Rose

kayos90

You know I just realized. And mind you this annoyed me with Vesperia. Sophie has an outfit in the game
after killing fodra queen
. However, you can't get it as an in-game costume? What? It's like the same thing with Estelle not being able to use that dress in Vesperia. *sigh*.

Top Bottom