• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
KILL THAT THEME FOREVER. >:|

I have that, it looks more like a nurse outfit, didn't know that was formal. I'm missing the swimsuit then.
Go to Sable Izole, inspect the tools by the item shop, and you'll be able to buy her bathing suit for 100K gald.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Cheria's formal wear is completely different from her vestments. This is how you get it:
Do a request in Katz Village. The item you need is in a treasure chest in Barona Castle. Deliver it to get the costume.
Sorry about that! :)

Final dungeon is annoying. Can't even run from battles. Using my Life Bottles like there's no tomorrow even on normal battles. Long as hell. wtfisthisshit.jpg

RPGCrazied

KILL THAT THEME FOREVER. >:|

Go to Sable Izole, inspect the tools by the item shop, and you'll be able to buy her bathing suit for 100K gald.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Cheria's formal wear is completely different from her vestments. This is how you get it:
Do a request in Katz Village. The item you need is in a treasure chest in Barona Castle. Deliver it to get the costume.
Sorry about that! :)

No worries. :) Thanks. Also, is there an easier way to grind titles? Most of them are just for using a certain skill. But so far, I only have Malik's 100 titles trophy. This is probably the most time consuming thing in the game.

zroid

Banned
About 13 hours in now and totally loving it. Battles are hectic but exciting, and despite how involved they are, I'm finding the AI to be very reliable. Usually my hands are so full taking care of my own character, I can't spare the moments to micromanage them at all -- luckily, I rarely need to.

The childhood arc was slow, to be sure, but progressing through it I began to really feel sympathetic towards the plights of these characters, and their actions in the following hours rang especially true.

It helped that the localization is top-notch (gotta love 8-4!), and the voice acting isn't too shabby either.

Excited to progress further.

scy

Since it was mentioned earlier, dualizing stat bonuses are definitely the resulting Quality, not the Shard Quality. Shard Quality determines resulting, yes, and there are ways to get the Shard Quality as the resulting one but it's still the resulting Quality that determines your stat bonus.

Also, the Improve Weapon Ability/Improve Armor Ability cooking bonuses are +1 (random) equipment stats. I just realized I need to check if it is just active party or everyone. Edit: Whole party.

Thanks! Is there a quick way to explain the process of how to go about trying to make sure you raise the max CC of the weapons? Also, should I be bothering to do this early on, or wait until I get great weapons?

Dualize a lot? Don't really think it's tied to anything but the +'s.

No worries. :) Thanks. Also, is there an easier way to grind titles? Most of them are just for using a certain skill. But so far, I only have Malik's 100 titles trophy. This is probably the most time consuming thing in the game.

Fight a lot, I guess? Book of Striking will help with the Arte use. If you're aiming for Platinum, you need a lot of fights to max out the pot's energy anyway. Also, depends on what titles you're missing but I wager you'll fill up most of your missing amounts by grinding Arte use.

Auuuugh, I just won two battles with Asbel the only one alive, now he's level 62 and everyone else is 60... I REALLY hate that.

Also
What the fuck is with Asbel stopping Sophie from destroying Lambda? Obviously they're going to "find another way", but seriously that is just SO unrealistic. She's pretty much the only chance you have of your entire world not being destroyed, and you stop her from doing it... WHY?! BECAUSE YOU'RE FRIENDS? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT HER TO HURT RICHARD?! Seriously what the fuck Asbel, I've had it with you, officially my most hated character in the game.

RPGCrazied

Fight a lot, I guess? Book of Striking will help with the Arte use. If you're aiming for Platinum, you need a lot of fights to max out the pot's energy anyway. Also, depends on what titles you're missing but I wager you'll fill up most of your missing amounts by grinding Arte use.

I would like to platinum the game, yes. I only have 1, and thats for Final Fantasy XIII-2. I can't do it on this playthrough though, I missed a couple boss fights in 60 seconds. Now that the zhonecage is done and
rockagong is dead
, all I have is to beat the game on Chaos and 100 titles for everyone but Malik before starting a new game+.

scy

I would like to platinum the game, yes. I only have 1, and thats for Final Fantasy XIII-2. I can't do it on this playthrough though, I missed a couple boss fights in 60 seconds. Now that the zhonecage is done and
rockagong is dead
, all I have is to beat the game on Chaos and 100 titles for everyone but Malik before starting a new game+.

Well, I'll look through my Titles to see if anything jump out at me but 70+ tends to just be the Arte Adept/Master titles and some other "lot of time grinding" ones. Most the combo ones are pretty easy to get (X character kill an enemy with a 10/30/50/100+ hit combo) so there's that. Then there's the ones that just come about from fighting a lot like the Critical count, total A-Arte use, total B-Arte use, etc.

Asbel has some titles for selling high value items, Hubert has titles for having a lot of money, and Cheria has titles for the amount of Stamps you have. You can basically try to get all three done simultaneously.

Ok. I'm on the future arc.

I gotta say, I can see where most of the hate from the ending came from. The whole "make friends with the demon" thing is like something you would see on the Care Bears or something. It didn't bother me that much though, since I kind of saw it coming a mile off when I saw the visions. Still though, it does raise interesting points on what could happen with it. And I'm eager to see just how they turn android Sophie into Human Sophie, or if they do that at all.

I wasn't expecting much though, since it IS a JRPG story. Another story to add to the list of games that cause people to mock JRPGs. At least we can thank Xenoblade for reviving the genre (at least I hope it revived it).

Oh and about battles in the future arc....

frustration.jpg

THIS, IS CRAZY! IN EVERY POSSIBLE MEANING OF THE WORD! I was forced to switch from moderate to normal mode because all the enemies are outnumbering me and going ballistic on me and forcing me to go through my life bottles like it's a cure for cancer!

I'm so glad the game was kind enough to give me that
power boost from Lambda
to make it much less difficult

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If Asbel was Malik instead then I would like the entire cast (Asbel sticks out for me).

Asbel: FRIENDS FRIENDS FRIENDS LET'S BE FRIENDS GAIZ.

At least Malik was cool, suave, and sometimes a jerk.

bubnbob

Banned
Malik was more or less the same, except his would be:

"You guys teach me more than you know"

"Oh Lorelai you're so hot I wanna bang you"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Malik >>>> Asbel

Actually we need crazy protagonists like Pascal (though some of her cutscenes were cringeworthy).

Bladenic

If Asbel was Malik instead then I would like the entire cast (Asbel sticks out for me).

Asbel: FRIENDS FRIENDS FRIENDS LET'S BE FRIENDS GAIZ.

At least Malik was cool, suave, and sometimes a jerk.

Malik's troll times are the best skits/scenes in the game.

Well, I am finlly at the end of the main game. After I finished the
fights inside the Cocoon, i naturally didn't save and started exploring. I found the crash site and hit up the star like any person would. Fought the little android (who i guess was Lambda?), who promptly self destructed and killed my whole party. Well, that was 2 hours wasted, because It took me nearly that much time to beat whoever the green haired woman was that fused with Lambda.

I was soooooo frustrated. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or throw my PS3 in rage. I just lowered the difficulty to easy and went on my way lol...... again

Malik's troll times are the best skits/scenes in the game.

the beach scene where he forces Cheria to be sexy was fantastic. And he gave me chills when he yelled at me while we were battling on Fodra during the skit and I lost

Bladenic

He's definitely my favorite character in the game, and has worked his way up my Tales character rankings pretty high as well. It also helps I love his fighting style, his spells (Blazing Hearts <3), and his mystic artes (Eternal Serenade, his 4th).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I'll look through my Titles to see if anything jump out at me but 70+ tends to just be the Arte Adept/Master titles and some other "lot of time grinding" ones. Most the combo ones are pretty easy to get (X character kill an enemy with a 10/30/50/100+ hit combo) so there's that. Then there's the ones that just come about from fighting a lot like the Critical count, total A-Arte use, total B-Arte use, etc.

Asbel has some titles for selling high value items, Hubert has titles for having a lot of money, and Cheria has titles for the amount of Stamps you have. You can basically try to get all three done simultaneously.
Yep. Most of it is just knowing requirements. You get titles for controlling characters for 100 battles, for example.

And to add to that, Malik has titles for playing the game a certain amount of time (7 hours/30 hours/100 hours), consuming a certain amount of Eleth in the mixer, and based on how many discoveries you have, etc.

Sophie has titles based on how many skits you view, stealing items 20/500 times, travelling 10/30/90/400 km, and total combat time 1 hour/3 hours/30 hours.

And Pascal has titles for how many things you have in the dualize book (29/85/170/complete), how many treasure chests you open (25/100/200/350), and how many NPCs you talk to (40/300/600).

Each character also has a favourite food which'll unlock a title if they eat that food/if that food is activated 10 times in or out of battle.
Asbel - Curry
Cheria - Grilled Chicken Bowl
Hubert - Rice Omelette
Malik - Beef with Red Wine Sauce (I *think*) figured I was wrong, lol. Thanks scy. Sea Bream Porridge
Pascal - Banana Pie
Sophie - Crablettes

scy

Malik - Beef with Red Wine Sauce (I *think*)

Malik's is Sea Bream Porridge (Rice Porridge + Sea Bream). These are all really easy to get (especially some that can just be set to the Mixer like Rice Omelettes) and I actually kind of liked the "how" you find them out
various skits, obviously

Just got my first maxed out Stamp Card apparently. With the purchase being an Ore that turns Leather Guard into a monster of an Armor. Damn...

And it's a one-time purchase.

Damn...

To the mixer it goes, I guess.

Edit: On the note of Beef with Red Wine Sauce, holy shit nearly 500 Energy per use? +1 random Armor stats to the entire group is nice and all but that's a lot of Energy per use.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Malik's is Sea Bream Porridge (Rice Porridge + Sea Bream). These are all really easy to get (especially some that can just be set to the Mixer like Rice Omelettes) and I actually kind of liked the "how" you find them out
various skits, obviously

Just got my first maxed out Stamp Card apparently. With the purchase being an Ore that turns Leather Guard into a monster of an Armor. Damn...

And it's a one-time purchase.

Damn...

To the mixer it goes, I guess.

Edit: On the note of Beef with Red Wine Sauce, holy shit nearly 500 Energy per use? +1 random Armor stats to the entire group is nice and all but that's a lot of Energy per use.
LOL, I figured I had that wrong. Thanks. I liked how they introduced the favourite foods too. Seemed natural.

I think Beef with Red Wine Sauce uses ~80 energy. I'll have to double check that. Double Burger used 380 but sped up movement in battle, iirc. Edit: No it doesn't. That's it. I need sleep. :|

scy

LOL, I figured I had that wrong. Thanks. I liked how they introduced the favourite foods too. Seemed natural.

I think Beef with Red Wine Sauce uses ~80 energy. I'll have to double check that. Double Burger used 380 but sped up movement in battle, iirc.

484, though maybe I'm mixing it up with something else? I tend to set food without checking the energy so it took awhile for me to figure out why my <50% Mixer Energy went out in like two fights :|

Too bad that the +1 Weapon one is HP Relevant (Group HP < 30%, I believe). That'll be a pain to grind up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
484, though maybe I'm mixing it up with something else? I tend to set food without checking the energy so it took awhile for me to figure out why my <50% Mixer Energy went out in like two fights :|

Too bad that the +1 Weapon one is HP Relevant (Group HP < 30%, I believe). That'll be a pain to grind up.
No, you're right. Just checked in the JP version. I mixed it up with the recipe above it in the pot. :lol And that's it. no more posting for me tonight because the double cheeseburger does not take up that much eleth. It's about 70 or so. I must be going nuts. :|

It's too bad that it's HP-dependent otherwise I'd use that instead of Miso Oden.

burgerdog

Is it me or are the dungeons getting progressively worse in this game? One more thing, a grammatical error in the game's ending? Not cool, 8-4! "Worse then me." haha

Bladenic

can someone explain what it means press x during blue charge to get a high level arte?

If you hold the button down when casting a spell the caster will hold off using the spell. At first there's a blue aura around the cast which is blue charge, holding for longer causes the red charge which adds certain effects to the spell like increased damage to certain weaknesses. I've never actually done this but I assume pressing X will either turn the spell into a higher rank spell or after casting the original spell, a high rank spell will immediately be link casted afterward.

Jiraiza

Well no one really plays Tales for the story. Be pretty sad if that were the case.

Can't say I can't agree with you since I play Tales' games primarily for the characters/battle but boy would my experience be 100 times better if the story was coherent and actually worth following. It really makes me wonder why Namco hasn't fired the storyboard director/writer yet. Terrible. Xillia was a step-up I suppose but that kinda goes out the window in the second half of the game, lol. Here's hoping Tales of PS4 does something refreshing for a change.

I mean, I'm sure you can't get any more grand than saving the world but... nevermind. There's a lot of things to say and I'll just keep it at that!

Dresden

Namco would appease a lot of fanboys if they shoehorned in multiple romance options in the game, ala Persona or a Bioware game.

Because really, screw Cheria. We all know
Malik
is Asbel's one true love.

PKrockin

Namco would appease a lot of fanboys if they shoehorned in multiple romance options in the game, ala Persona or a Bioware game.

Malik

*Knock knock*

Dresden, it's snowing! You wanna come out here with me and take a look?

:p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can't say I can't agree with you since I play Tales' games primarily for the characters/battle but boy would my experience be 100 times better if the story was coherent and actually worth following. It really makes me wonder why Namco hasn't fired the storyboard director/writer yet. Terrible. Xillia was a step-up I suppose but that kinda goes out the window in the second half of the game, lol. Here's hoping Tales of PS4 does something refreshing for a change.

I mean, I'm sure you can't get any more grand than saving the world but... nevermind. There's a lot of things to say and I'll just keep it at that!

Yeah, they always end up as a "save the world" affair but typically fare better when they aren't. I loved the plot and characters in Vesperia, but the last third felt super forced storywise. They took the story to a grand level it never really needed.

So, I'm right before the "point of no return"(
right before heading into the Ghardia Shaft
) and I'm wondering, what's the most efficient route to take to get the Plat from here on?

I missed all the timed trophies so I know I'm gonna have to do a new game for those, but I'd prefer to get the difficulty trophies and all the really grindy trophies before I do that so I can leave the grindy stuff out of my NG+ and just get it all over with right now since I'm already at the end of the game the first time.

kewlmyc

My copy just arrived, installing now!

Any tips before I get started?

First 5 hours suck ass. Stick with it though.

If Xillia gets a DC version, I want them to add this since Jude getting with Elise or Leia makes more sense age wise. But whatever, that's just me.

Malik

Asbel's brother is smart
(by getting with Pascal), so he should have followed his shining example and hooked up with Fourier. But really, anybody would have been better than Cheria. She's rubbish.

I finally got my game (i ordered before teh release , i was hit by a serious case of slow from DHL ).

Anyway , the only thing annoying me , voice acting is ok .."just"ok but still ok i still fear for the rest of the cast ( pascal ) ..but the child arc part i played quickly was alright

Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention this:

Best victory scene in the game:

Asbel: We are:
Hubert, Richard, and Malik: LKJHALHSLDAGHJKASDJHKJSAHKJSDHFGKDSJAHKJHASKDJ
Asbel: HEY!

bubnbob

Banned
So, I'm right before the "point of no return"(
right before heading into the Ghardia Shaft
) and I'm wondering, what's the most efficient route to take to get the Plat from here on?

I missed all the timed trophies so I know I'm gonna have to do a new game for those, but I'd prefer to get the difficulty trophies and all the really grindy trophies before I do that so I can leave the grindy stuff out of my NG+ and just get it all over with right now since I'm already at the end of the game the first time.

There is no "point of no return" - you can leave that place any time you like. There's even a warp immediately before the final boss.

I just plugged the game in, installed the game and the world is crumbling down on me.

I can't F'ING believe this game doesn't feature dual va. CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

Why the fuck would you exclude such an easy feature out of your game? I'm SO pissed. I hate american VA, specially coming from Brazil which has leading V.A in the world.

Called me weeaboo, whatever you want, but listen, I'm paying 60 dollars for a product and I should be able to at least expect a basic feature.

I'm turning this fucking game off and throwing it in the garbage -__-.

zroid

Banned
I just plugged the game in, installed the game and the world is crumbling down on me.

I can't F'ING believe this game doesn't feature dual va. CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

Why the fuck would you exclude such an easy feature out of your game? I'm SO pissed. I hate american VA, specially coming from Brazil which has leading V.A in the world.

Called me weeaboo, whatever you want, but listen, I'm paying 60 dollars for a product and I should be able to at least expect a basic feature.

I'm turning this fucking game off and throwing it in the garbage -__-.

I feel your pain, but it's not nearly as "easy" as many believe.

Anyway, the English voicework in this game is surprisingly good, for the most part.

--

BTW, the Barona port music is SO DAMN CATCHY.

GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD GET IT OUT

RetroMG

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do I make the game stop switching titles after rank 3? I see "Mode: Until Rank 3" in the upper right corner, but I can't seem to adjust it.

EDIT: Never mind, just figured it out. It was under Auto-Equip.

You know the impact of Richard's little "episodes" are kind of lost when

A. The game is bloodless to a fault.

B. Nobody seems to really care afterward and treat it like he just "lost his temper".

Top Bottom