• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Neki

still don't know how to morph pascal artes, I keep getting Star Crusher after a Fearful Storm unless that's what it's supposed to come out as

and I got Incineration Wave, this spell is so cheap, LOL

scy

Mostly for Cartas. Level 10 I believe is max. They might do more in f arc. Not too sure about that.

The Cartas are a pretty minor concern. The Rare equipment from them is basically the best equipment you can buy so it's really worth raising the various locations for them. Though, I wager that equipment is a bit overkill for most the main game, especially if you're not on Chaos.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
still don't know how to morph pascal artes, I keep getting Star Crusher after a Fearful Storm unless that's what it's supposed to come out as

and I got Incineration Wave, this spell is so cheap, LOL
Couple that with Infernal Torrent and you can cheese anything. So fun.

As for Pascal's Artes, you should be getting
Grim Sylphie
when you spell delay and hit the A-artes button, so maybe you don't have enough CC to pull it off and thus you're getting Star Crusher instead...

Alright, if Haseo isn't up tomorrow I'm going to give up all hope. Seriously.
You're not going to snap your disc in half, are you?

That sort of event should only be reserved for Sonic 2006.

scy said:
Though, I wager that equipment is a bit overkill for most the main game, especially if you're not on Chaos.
Unless people are having issues with Chapters 7/8 enemies, I guess. I don't really see that happening on Easy to Hard, though.

Esura

Banned
Just reached the
Amarcian Enclave
. I love the names there:
Fourier, Gauß, Poisson, Pascal

What's so special about their names?

Anyone buy the Graces High uniforms? Its too awesome, especially Sophie and Cheria. It was my birthday on Saturday and a co-worker gave me $20 bucks and told me to blow it on some booze. I blew it on these costumes with no regrets. :lol

They even have their own damn battle song that seems like it was inspired from K-On! or some other slice of life high school anime. So awesome!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What's so special about their names?
Those names are
the names of famous mathematicians/physicists/physical scientists
. For example, we have:
Blaise Pascal, Siméon Denis Poisson, Pierre de Fermat, Joseph Fourier, and Carl Friedrich Gauss
in this game.

Graces ended up making me nerd out a bit upon getting to that point. ^__^

Edit: Now I want to re-read Fermat's Enigma, and Seife's magnificent Zero book. :/

kayos90 said:
If I do Schala, I will record it and you will be the first to know.
:lol

I hope they don't remove that costume. That'd be kind of lame.

Esura

Banned
The math nerd in me is crying right now :(
Math...isn't my strongest suit. Ironic I know considering I love RPGs.

Those names are
the names of famous mathematicians/physicists/physical scientists
. For example, we have:
Blaise Pascal, Siméon Denis Poisson, Pierre de Fermat, Joseph Fourier, and Carl Friedrich Gauss
in this game.

Graces ended up making me nerd out a bit upon getting to that point. ^__^

Edit: Now I want to re-read Fermat's Enigma, and Seife's magnificent Zero book. :/

Ohhhhhh....you learn something new everyday I guess.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
While I would let Pascal slide, since the associations can be somewhat broad, people should've gotten the naming pattern at Fourier. At least those that take math. Fourier series anyone? Gosh... it was such a pain...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just got to Chapter 6. What title does Asbel learn Infernal Torrent off of?
You can learn it from:
Asbel's Level 60 title
Asbel's Handsome Paragon title (learn 150 skills)
Asbel's
Excalibur
title (sidequest related)

kayos90 said:
Btw Schala, have you resumed watching Fate/Zero? Season 2 starts this Saturday.
Not by much; I just watched two episodes since then so I'm on Episode 4. A little busy last week, but I might be able to do it this week to catch up before Season 2 starts. Yeah, so Episode 4 was amazing! The animation was sooo good. Really good action.

kayos90

You can learn it from:
Asbel's Level 60 title
Asbel's
Excalibur

Not by much; I just watched two episodes since then so I'm on Episode 4. A little busy last week, but I might be able to do it this week to catch up before Season 2 starts. Yeah, so Episode 4 was amazing! The animation was sooo good. Really good action.

Gosh Ufotable is so freaking win. How does it compare to Xillia's animation?

Esura

Banned
While I would let Pascal slide, since the associations can be somewhat broad, people should've gotten the naming pattern at Fourier. At least those that take math. Fourier series anyone? Gosh... it was such a pain...

Never heard of Fourier series until now.

But the new season of Fate/ZERO is coming out already? I didn't even get to finish the first one. Why is the Blu-ray for the first season so darn expensive anywho? I need my Saber Arturia fix.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Needed more Taylor, Fibonacci (which is, like, the first thing I've noticed discrete profs/teachers try to teach students, and for good reason since the resulting occurrence in nature and biology/link to fractals are cool) or Euler.

Fourier transforms/analyses can be fun.

kayos90 said:
Gosh Ufotable is so freaking win. How does it compare to Xillia's animation?
Well, since it isn't completely limited to bits of cutscenes here and there and allows for more fluid action, Fate/Zero's better.

kayos90

Never heard of Fourier series until now.

But the new season of Fate/ZERO is coming out already? I didn't even get to finish the first one. Why is the Blu-ray for the first season so darn expensive anywho? I need my Saber Arturia fix.

I have the box set; a gift from my brother. It's super super nice. Anyway, season 2 looks to be quite awesome indeed.

Getting back on topic. If it's not Haseo this week then this week will most likely be the Cameo sets or the weird random set. IE.) Flight pilot Asbel and Cyber Hubert.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
IE.) Flight pilot Asbel and Cyber Hubert.
Wouldn't surprise me.

These are the costumes for those who are curious:

00712resizedxzjli.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You can learn it from:
Asbel's Level 60 title
Asbel's
Excalibur

Thanks! Looks like I had 149 skills when I asked, literally got it off the next fight.
BXTQ2.gif

Negator

Those materials used in the Nakiri titles are only used for those dolls, right? Say once I farm enough sets for six of each I don't have to worry about anything else, like inn requests or dualizing gear, right?

Man... 'best combat' is really stretching it.

Boss fights are hella frustrating even on normal. Do all of them spawn minions at some point?

Just took out Malik's old friend. took 3 tries, and even on normal, his shotgun lance attack thing pretty much wipes a guy.

And my AI folks are completely incompetent T_T. Dodge you fools!

gahhh.

Negator

Boss fights are hella frustrating even on normal. Do all of them spawn minions at some point?

Just took out Malik's old friend. took 3 tries, and even on normal, his shotgun lance attack thing pretty much wipes a guy.

gahhh.

PLEASE. It probably took me 30 times to beat him on MODERATE

gahhh.

I now have an image of Yayoi in my head getting frustrated and crying when she can't beat a hard boss. Thanks a lot.

Papercuts

gahhh.

Not all bosses do, but yeah that particular one spawned them infinity. I think that's where I hit my breaking point for bosses and the dumb AI, his attack hits a ride range and the mystic arte kept getting atleast 2 people.

Ugh, this game really doesn't live up to the hype. I'm not enjoying future arc at all. I just died to stupid BS after playing for 40 minutes without reaching another save point. I can't wait to Plat this game so I never have to play it again... I've come too far to stop now

kewlmyc

Ugh, this game really doesn't live up to the hype. I'm not enjoying future arc at all. I just died to stupid BS after playing for 40 minutes without reaching another save point. I can't wait to Plat this game so I never have to play it again... I've come too far to stop now

This game had hype?

Also, which do you guys prefer? The main game final dungeon weapons or the future arc weapons?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the Rockgagong trophy kill. At level 89 and on easy, it still was frustrating. I was left with Cheria and
a Narakiri Hubert (Pascal).

Whoever gave the plat a 6/10 difficulty in PS3TrophyGuides should be killed. This game is more like a 9/10 due to mass grinding. The Catherine platinum was much easier.

Hubert looks like a Kingdom Hearts character there.

More like Tron from Kingdom Hearts. :p

This game had hype?

Also, which do you guys prefer? The main game final dungeon weapons or the future arc weapons?

This game had major hype from a lot of people on GAF.

I got the Rockgagong trophy kill. At level 89 and on easy, it still was frustrating. I was left with Cheria and

Whoever gave the plat a 6/10 difficulty in PS3TrophyGuides should be killed. This game is more like a 9/10 due to mass grinding. The Catherine platinum was much easier.

The stupid amount of grinding necessary is really frustrating me with this game.
I don't think this game is going to have challenges that rival Catherine, though... Catherine Plat was tough but a lot more fun to get.

My characters are all about level 82 I think. I still have to finish up future arc so I'll probably be well over 89 by the time I go after killing Rockgagong, I hope

Papercuts

From what I can tell, the Eleth mixer max out is the only really grindy thing. I would imagine you can use the grade shop to make a lot of it really easy if you want, just get the 5x exp and 2x exp to stack them into 10, rush through a second playthrough ridiculously overleveled and curbstomp everything at level 200 if you just want the plat.

Especially since you can atleast skip cutscenes in this, I got 1000 in Vesperia....nothing here can compare to that. My lord. A low level run for the first third of the game, a SPEEDRUN in an RPG where you can't skip any scenes, meaning the majority of it was mashing buttons to get through the text, making sure you remembered where to go next, and being insanely overleveled to one shot everything. Getting every title, which had titles linked to obtaining every monster(and you had to use a lens on every monster, even one time bosses...and multiple times on certain boss forms), items/weapons(some of which only appear once in a store for the entire game and force you to replay the game again if you miss that ONE thing), seeing all skits, finding all save points...which sometimes the same save point was technically different due to something in the story. Then you had to rubberband the stick for a good 8-10 hours to get the distance traveled, which was an obscenely high number and nowhere close to obtainable normally, and was not a stat that got transferred via grade.

I love Vesperia but typing that up made me realize I have no idea what the hell I was thinking when I did that. And that's only a portion of them. :p

From what I can tell, the Eleth mixer max out is the only really grindy thing. I would imagine you can use the grade shop to make a lot of it really easy if you want, just get the 5x exp and 2x exp to stack them into 10, rush through a second playthrough ridiculously overleveled and curbstomp everything at level 200 if you just want the plat.

Especially since you can atleast skip cutscenes in this, I got 1000 in Vesperia....nothing here can compare to that. My lord. A low level run for the first third of the game, a SPEEDRUN in an RPG where you can't skip any scenes, meaning the majority of it was mashing buttons to get through the text, making sure you remembered where to go next, and being insanely overleveled to one shot everything. Getting every title, which had titles linked to obtaining every monster(and you had to use a lens on every monster, even one time bosses...and multiple times on certain boss forms), items/weapons(some of which only appear once in a store for the entire game and force you to replay the game again if you miss that ONE thing), seeing all skits, finding all save points...which sometimes the same save point was technically different due to something in the story. Then you had to rubberband the stick for a good 8-10 hours to get the distance traveled, which was an obscenely high number and nowhere close to obtainable normally, and was not a stat that got transferred via grade.

I love Vesperia but typing that up made me realize I have no idea what the hell I was thinking when I did that. And that's only a portion of them. :p

Wow, that does sound like some terrible achievements

scy

gahhh.

Don't know what to say. That was probably the second easiest boss in the game for me on Chaos and my AI hasn't really been all that bad all game. I actually don't think I've had a reload on a boss that wasn't due to missing the 60s trophy.

RetroMG

This stuff drove me insane. And the worst part was that at the end of the Monster quest I realized I only had the monsters in the EX dungeon left, only to then realize that I missed the spot to unlock the stupid EX dungeon during the main game. Well, time to play through this stupid game an eighth time!

Honestly, I'm debating going for the plat on this but thinking about how frustrating getting 1000/1000 on Vesperia was is giving me pause. But I also don't really have anything new to play until Diablo 3, so I'll probably do it.

scy

This stuff drove me insane. And the worst part was that at the end of the Monster quest I realized I only had the monsters in the EX dungeon left, only to then realize that I missed the spot to unlock the stupid EX dungeon during the main game. Well, time to play through this stupid game an eighth time!

Honestly, I'm debating going for the plat on this but thinking about how frustrating getting 1000/1000 on Vesperia was is giving me pause. But I also don't really have anything new to play until Diablo 3, so I'll probably do it.

For what it's worth, there's I think two missables in the entire game as far as the Platinum is concerned (and they both have pretty big windows, if I recall?) and the only real grindy one is 9999 Eleth Energy. Which still isn't so bad with the proper food combinations in the mixer. Should only be a few thousand battles throughout the entire game.

I think I have around 60% of the trophies before beating the main game just from the 60s Trophies, Chapter Clears, and the 100 title trophies for everyone. It's really not so bad.

barrin87

I know I keep asking stupid questions periodically but I have another. =D

I want to try going for the platinum and realize it will take me two playthroughs to do. I have missed all the 60 second boss fights and I won't get my eleth mixer to 9,999. Should I try doing all the extra side quests and bosses in the first playthrough or should I just beat the game and then worry about it all on my second playthrough?

I don't want to waste a ton of time trying for all the extras and then figure out I can't do it all until New Game +.

I know I keep asking stupid questions periodically but I have another. =D

I want to try going for the platinum and realize it will take me two playthroughs to do. I have missed all the 60 second boss fights and I won't get my eleth mixer to 9,999. Should I try doing all the extra side quests and bosses in the first playthrough or should I just beat the game and then worry about it all on my second playthrough?

I don't want to waste a ton of time trying for all the extras and then figure out I can't do it all until New Game +.

Honestly I personally recommend playing though the game the first time blind and just enjoy it, second time through use a guide to find everything.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it bad idea that I am thinking about saving future arc for PT2, because I want something new that I can looking forward to do after we started over? or should I do it now to get over with it?

For Grades, I am thinking about bringing all things that I worked on titles, cards and etc over to PT2 but I am not sure about 5x damage or something because I am afraid that it might end up backfire on me.

I am thinking about

Inherit Cards, Battle items, Books, Stamp, etc (Expect Gald)
5x Exp, 2x SP, Master SP bonus (I am not sure if 5x and 2/3x exp stack or not.)
I am very concerned about 5x Damage because I want to get all 60 seconds battles but is it only way to go?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

gahhh.

that fight wasn't that hard, took me 2 tries on Hard. I took over Hubert and used Scarlet Salvo or whatever on him a lot so it could stagger him allowing Asbel to unleash a combo on him. Also quickly killed any guard when they appear. I don't know the game hasn't been that hard to me, even on higher difficulty settings. I find some regular mobs harder than some bosses.

scy

that fight wasn't that hard, took me 2 tries on Hard. I took over Hubert and used Scarlet Salvo or whatever on him a lot so it could stagger him allowing Asbel to unleash a combo on him. Also quickly killed any guard when they appear. I don't know the game hasn't been that hard to me, even on higher difficulty settings. I find some regular mobs harder than some bosses.

The only ridiculous boss so far has been (Chapter 7)
Centurion. Not because he's hard or anything, just the fucking warping around dragging the fight out and the ranged pot shots you take
. The rest have been pretty much "same as normal enemies, more HP."

Part of me wants to see how horrible the two half stat books + Book of Audacity is. Then again, I'm pretty sure I saw a 200k crit with just the latter so I'm not entirely sure this is the best of ideas.

Animekatt

Man I forgot how much grinding it took to get the 1000 in Vesperia. I had a lot of fun with the game, so I didn't mind too much. Honestly, I'll do it again for the Plat when/if I get the PS3 import.

I'm having having a tough time farming for these Narikiri dolls. All I need left are 3 Incredible Bones, and 4 Arcane Gears. Is there a book out there that helps with the drop rates of these items? I set the gear to my mixer, but with it's 1.3% chance of producing, it's too slow. Plus I only have 1034 in my mixer atm. :(

Farming though isn't all that bad. I have the 100 titles for Asbel,
80 for Richard
, and I'm almost there with Pascal, Cheria, and Malik.

i only got 46% of the trophies in vesperia and i quickly realized that getting platinium wouldn't be easy ... i really understand your pain ..i really do at least when i played it on PS3 the cutscenes were skipable!! i respect those who got it because i don't have the time (yet ) to immerse myself into that ..

scy

Is there a book out there that helps with the drop rates of these items?

There's one book for Material drops and various food that does it too. I think there's Titles as well. Book of Fortune will double the chance to make the item but I guess that's a bit taxing on your Mixer Energy. That with Book of Duplication is a net 6 times the cost to make an item.

I set the gear to my mixer, but with it's 1.3% chance of producing, it's too slow. Plus I only have 1034 in my mixer atm. :(

Wow. Well, if nothing else, it doesn't take much to raise it at that low of a value. If I recall, 400 - 2000 Energy in the Mixer needs 10 EXP per point so using the following:

In-Battle >10s: Crab Fried Rice (38 EXP)
Post-Battle >50% Mixer Energy: Miso Soup (94 EXP)

Should net you around +26 points per fight, I believe, with Book of Potential in there. Closer to 30 with Book of Growth as well? I'd have to check exacts later. I think I get around 6 points at 9000+ and that's 50 EXP per point so it seems to check out.

Edit: For the curious, it's 20 EXP per point from 2001-9000 and 50 EXP per point from 9001-9999; all in all, Book of Potential + Book of Growth + Crab Fried Rice + Miso Soup means it takes round 700 fights to go from 300 Energy to 9999 (around 280 to get to 5000).

Is there some hidden aggro system that I'm not getting? Seems hard to keep bosses off the idiot AI.

Or should I just keep all my AI on defense? I tend to never mess with strategies in tales games... but maybe i should. Shame that you can't save presets

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I think it's more of a 7.5, tbh. It's just grinding, and grinding generally isn't difficult. It's just tedious. Hence the 6/10. That's why I'd give Xillia's trophies a 4-5/10 because it's all grinding with no effort or thought required.

But Catherine's plat seems hard to me. I tried getting it on my JP account, and gave up. And then tried getting it on my US account because I figured I'd give it a second shot, but then I gave up. I like the game, but the platinum just didn't seem like my thing.

What shameless advertising.
You got me interested.
LOL! I love that Zero book. My high school discrete teacher suggested it to us and I ended up loving it. He also recommended The Golden Ratio to us as well (and ended up structuring a lot of our discrete problems based on phi and the Fibonacci sequence so it almost felt like required reading).

My mathematical analysis prof gave us a few things to read like QED, The Code Book, Fermat's Enigma, and e: The Story of a Number. Those books are generally fun to read. I tried reading that book about the square-root of a negative number (so essentially imaginary numbers), but I didn't like the writing much.

I ended up switching my second major from math to cognitive science to linguistics during my undergrad, but I like reading up on things every now and then.

I dislike Vesperia's plat so much. :|

That's why I kept saying that the Graces platinum is not as bad as Vesperia's by a long shot. Graces' plat is much easier by comparison since you didn't have all of those secret missions to contend with. Honestly, when you compare the two, Graces seems like a godsend.

And then Xillia's plat is a cakewalk (outside of maybe the Best Subeventer Trophy), but it's mostly grinding grinding grinding.

Wow. Well, if nothing else, it doesn't take much to raise it at that low of a value. If I recall, 400 - 2000 Energy in the Mixer needs 10 EXP per point so using the following:

In-Battle >10s: Crab Fried Rice (38 EXP)
Post-Battle >50% Mixer Energy: Miso Soup (94 EXP)

Should net you around +26 points per fight, I believe, with Book of Potential in there. Closer to 30 with Book of Growth as well? I'd have to check exacts later. I think I get around 6 points at 9000+ and that's 50 EXP per point so it seems to check out.

Edit: For the curious, it's 20 EXP per point from 2001-9000 and 50 EXP per point from 9001-9999; all in all, Book of Potential + Book of Growth + Crab Fried Rice + Miso Soup means it takes round 700 fights to go from 300 Energy to 9999 (around 280 to get to 5000).
Man, that's how I do it. And it's even better when you're killing a few birds with one stone (ie: getting battle titles for everyone at the same time, so that's why I do it in Lhant Hill or the desert so that everyone gets a fair shot at getting some of their A/B-Artes titles--and thus you're also grinding for your titles too). Try to stick with doing several things at once while doing that trophy and I don't think it'd feel as bad.

Is there some hidden aggro system that I'm not getting? Seems hard to keep bosses off the idiot AI.

Or should I just keep all my AI on defense? I tend to never mess with strategies in tales games... but maybe i should. Shame that you can't save presets
If you think that'll help, you probably should. Sometimes I do that so they won't do anything silly like walk up to a monster while I'm trying to keep them away.

As I said before, it's too bad that there aren't a lot of AI parameters in this game like there are in Vesperia or Xillia.

Top Bottom