• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

So if I have this straight, in the JP version...
Title 158 was the suit costume.
Title 159 was the Haseo costume.
Title 160 was the pilot costume.
Title 161 was the high school costume.
Title 162 was Leon Magnus.
Title 163 was Suzaku.
Title 164 was Kyle.

...kayos, I think you might be disappointed.

Edit: I want to see if the Idolmaster costumes are still in.
Cheria's title 142 was her Vesperia costume
143 was her Idolmaster costume
144 is her small devil/imp costume
145 is her school costume
146 is her Natalia costume
147 is her Geass costume

Ugh, I'm such a DLC whore. I said I didn't want the costumes and I still bought it anyway. But, my actions means I can answer this!
I don't have Kyle's costume but
158: Suit
159: Pilot
160: School

For Cheria,
143: Imp
144: School

So I guess we are losing out on all the cool outfits.
Though can anyone find out what was Kyle's costume's number so we can maybe see if we are getting the other DLC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, I'm such a DLC whore. I said I didn't want the costumes and I still bought it anyway. But, my actions means I can answer this!
I don't have Kyle's costume but
158: Suit
159: Pilot
160: School

For Cheria,
143: Imp
144: School

So I guess we are losing out on all the cool outfits.
Though can anyone find out what was Kyle's costume's number so we can maybe see if we are getting the other DLC.
Kyle's DLC number in the English version is 162.

btw, can you help me with Sophie's DLC costumes too, please?
158 was her Vesperia costume
159 was her Idolmaster costume
160 was her school costume
161 was her Anise costume
162 was her Geass costume
163 was a Miku costume
164 was another Miku costume
165 was her Destiny costume

Her Destiny costume is now 161 in the English version.

Geneijin said:
Random enemy formations is a huge part of that.
Yeah, that certainly doesn't do it much favours either. It's unfortunate. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Damn. I guess that means we won't get the Geass outfits then. And, probably not Miku. :[
At least, all the DLC will probably come out before I actually finish the game for once.
I really doubted that we'd get Miku since that's a SEGA issue and no Miku games were ever released here.

I'm a bit surprised that we're not getting the Geass outfits, though, since Bandai has the rights to it.

Amir0x

Banned
i keep getting stuck in an infinite loop of weapon/armor dualizing/tempering. i can not move the game forward at all, everytime I get a single new piece of armor or weapon I'm back dualizing/tempering for six hours lol

i keep getting stuck in an infinite loop of weapon/armor dualizing/tempering. i can not move the game forward at all, everytime I get a single new piece of armor or weapon I'm back dualizing/tempering for six hours lol
I did the same thing. I do the same with titles. I learn one thing and then I'm like ahh I'll just learn the next thing. Next thing you know I've mastered 10 titles.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
On all three of my playthroughs, it seems like I've done more levelling up titles/weapons/armour than actually playing the game.

I remember I got up to 50ish hours in Strahta on my first playthrough and I hadn't even gotten to Yu Liberte yet because I was busy getting titles thrown at me and dualizing armour and weapons. :lol

kewlmyc

Well since we're not getting the Haseo, Geass, Idomaster, and Miku costumes, next week should be the last week for DLC. Finally, my wallet can rest. Being a completionist can suck sometimes.

Palom

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my mixer isn't leveling up worth crap.

Right now, I have in it:
Radish Steak and Crab Fried Rice during battle with Books of Potential and Satiation
Rice Omelet after battle
Books of Restraint, Expansion, Growth, Wealth, and Dissolution
a material item for running around with

I only get 3 points on my mixer per battle. If the mixer gets below 50%, I switch to Cheesecake, and it's still only 3 points. I'm just barely at 2800 eleth. I'm farming for nariki doll items in the future arc on Evil difficulty, if that makes any difference.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I tried SO4 for a bit, and man the battle system in this game completely destroys SO4. Too bad this team got merged with TS, as I can't really stand TS games.

the only thing holding this game back is the small world, SO4 had tons of places and the variety of the areas was pretty good this game's world is really small and it feels cramped. I lost count on how many times I had to backtrack to Lhant.

Well since we're not getting the Haseo, Geass, Idomaster, and Miku costumes, next week should be the last week for DLC. Finally, my wallet can rest. Being a completionist can suck sometimes.

We might still get the DLC costumes from other Tales games, though it seems unlikely at this point :'( I really wanted Leon Asbel!

Thoraxes

I just did the boss fight in (my synopsis says number
32-33
)
Lambda's cocoon. The Richard fight was cake, but I fucking really hated the Emeraude fight because it was damned near impossible to get more than 2 hits on her
before having your combo interrupted.

It pissed me off that I literally felt that that fight completely breaks the combat system and makes it worthless. Just the way it was done makes me wish that they either changed the fight or let me use (and I really never want to again) TP for it.

Also the speech after kinda made me rage with how stupid it was. This part is just a small blemish on all the fun i've been having though.

Error

wait you have to pay for every costume individually? like they aren't grouped in packs? for instance, tales of destiny costume pack or something. if it's individually for each character, then wow, what a bunch of fucking greedy bastards.

:sad for people that fall for that crap.

On all three of my playthroughs, it seems like I've done more levelling up titles/weapons/armour than actually playing the game.

I remember I got up to 50ish hours in Strahta on my first playthrough and I hadn't even gotten to Yu Liberte yet because I was busy getting titles thrown at me and dualizing armour and weapons. :lol
when I got to the untrodden snowfields, I turned it up to chaos and literally spent an OBSCENE amount of hours in that one section. Easily the best SP farming spot for a long time.

Error

the only attachment I've found is the watermelon one, I'd really like the glasses one. Pascal with glasses seems only fitting.

scy

Book of Enthusiasm really makes grinding more exciting. ~20-25k EXP a fight is worth it though, I suppose, and I finally have enemies that don't just melt before my group!

...they still die before 100 hits but oh well.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my mixer isn't leveling up worth crap.

Right now, I have in it:
Radish Steak and Crab Fried Rice during battle with Books of Potential and Satiation
Rice Omelet after battle
Books of Restraint, Expansion, Growth, Wealth, and Dissolution
a material item for running around with

I only get 3 points on my mixer per battle. If the mixer gets below 50%, I switch to Cheesecake, and it's still only 3 points. I'm just barely at 2800 eleth. I'm farming for nariki doll items in the future arc on Evil difficulty, if that makes any difference.

Try it without Restraint. I was pretty sure it did nothing to Mixer EXP (since it's not actually tied to the costs) but you never know.

That said, all the math for where I'm at (9200 Energy) says I should still be getting ~5-6 Energy per fight yet I'm pulling 3-4. I could've sworn I checked this just last night too :/

Edit: Incidentally, any reason for not using Miso Stew for post-battle? Borscht is nice for In-battle as well if you can reliably get 30-hit combos if you want the +EXP effect.

I beat the game and never knew this.

The game said something about it once (same with free run) and I once accidentally started running away because I tried to back away and build CC to heal and found myself running into a wall with an escape meter building lol.

I find Free Run is mostly useful if I see an AOE heal spell being cast on a party member and I want to get some health back.

The game said something about it once (same with free run) and I once accidentally started running away because I tried to back away and build CC to heal and found myself running into a wall with an escape meter building lol.

I find Free Run is mostly useful if I see an AOE heal spell being cast on a party member and I want to get some health back.

There's a way to free run, too? As in not just towards and away from your target? How?

Animekatt

Man I wish the Flynn costume for Hubert came out this week. I think I will settle on getting his school outfit, and maybe Pascal's. I really really hate the "formal" costume that Hubert gets in the game, and I'm tired of seeing him wear his defaults when everyone else has different costumes on.

Edit: I need help, which should I go for? The school Pascal or the Cowgirl one?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thank you. It's important for me because I am deaf. Lately, some games lack subtitles. For example, Assassin's Creed and Singularity.
Aww. I didn't know some games weren't including subtitles, which doesn't seem inclusive for those who need them. :(

But yes, rest assured, Xillia includes subtitles, so you don't have to worry for that one.

So, I know this isn't the Xillia OT, obviously, but I just won Review of the Month from GameFAQs for my review on Tales of Xillia! I posted it on my blog so please check it out!

http://kayos90.blogspot.com/2012/04/tales-of-xillia-import-review.html
Congrats! :)

How are you penalized? Less exp? SP? Gald?
It subtracts 1 CC for every step you take in Free Run.

Also, how do I get more than 8 slots in my mixer? I've had 8 FOREVER. Two more slots would be perfect
To be honest, the best thing you can do is put items/materials that consume quite a bit of eleth to make. I usually stick with materials for dolls (ie: caustic and balloon sheets)/red herbs/feather badge materials for that.

BassForever said:
We might still get the DLC costumes from other Tales games, though it seems unlikely at this point :'( I really wanted Leon Asbel!
We're more than likely going to get the Tales cameo set and that's it based on our deductions above.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Your CC will drain very fast as you run, and the movement itself is slow as hell. I think sidestepping away from the spell is more efficient.

Free run is pretty terrible in this game, but it can be useful if you're trying to target a specific person protected by monsters. Easier to run around instead of side stepping multiple times...for me anyway.

Palom

Try it without Restraint. I was pretty sure it did nothing to Mixer EXP (since it's not actually tied to the costs) but you never know.

That said, all the math for where I'm at (9200 Energy) says I should still be getting ~5-6 Energy per fight yet I'm pulling 3-4. I could've sworn I checked this just last night too :/

Edit: Incidentally, any reason for not using Miso Stew for post-battle? Borscht is nice for In-battle as well if you can reliably get 30-hit combos if you want the +EXP effect.

Thanks. That seemed to help a bit. I got it up to 11 now. It seems the half eleth cost of the Book of Restraint means half mixer growth, too. Lame. I was using it so I could stay out longer without having to run back and charge. Only problem now is I'm below half eleth after two fights.

Oh, so you have to have the mixer generate items for more slots, then... that explains it, I haven't had any item generating going on in a very long time

Negator

That's a shame. I wanted to give my money to Namco, but apparently they don't want it.

Dariso

Neo Member
Is there a way to check which monsters drop certain items instead of having to search the entire monster list for the item i want?
Every time i need one for a quest i have to check the whole list looking for it, kinda of annoying.
Man and that boar boss really destroyed me lol, spent like an hour on hard trying to beat it.
The freaking last attack he gained when he had like 13k left kept killing my party. They simply refused to dodge it.
I mean i understand that the my party members AI can't dodge the attack all the time,
but for some reason they would never attempt to dodge.

Zee-Row

Banned
The battle system in this game is weird compared to other Tales games. Even when i set my character to manual my character still runs around during a battle and attacks on his own. Its kind of annoying.

I think I'm running out of side quests (unless there are some obtuse ones I'm skipping over) and will be forced to beat the game tomorrow.

Future Arc, Bonus Dungeon and Trophies are still a thing though.

Zee-Row

Banned
I know people won't agree with me but I hate the fact that this game doesn't have random battles. I hate having to walk long distances or a few screens in areas just for enemys to spawn back. I'm a grindy guy when it comes to RPGs.

I know people won't agree with me but I hate the fact that this game doesn't have random battles. I hate having to walk long distances or a few screens in areas just for enemys to spawn back. I'm a grindy guy when it comes to RPGs.
I'm with you. For a game that has such a detailed and amazing battle system, the game sure goes out of its way to make sure you DON'T have monsters to fight.

I tried a Dark Bottle once but I didn't notice any difference.

scy

I'm with you. For a game that has such a detailed and amazing battle system, the game sure goes out of its way to make sure you DON'T have monsters to fight.

I tried a Dark Bottle once but I didn't notice any difference.

Dark Bottles make enemies respawn when you enter a re-enter the area or fight another enemy. The ideal time to use one for grinding is when you find a small room with two enemies so you can just go back and forth between them.

For example, the Sandshroud Ruins at the end of the game has two enemies in the first room and a Turtlez right outside. Pretty much an ideal spot to grind for awhile and the EXP is nice (~5000 EXP per fight on Chaos, ~30k is the highest I've seen with Book of Enthusiasm and +EXP Food).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
is it me? or does the enemy ai loves ganging up on a single character?

The player character usually seems to get more aggro than anyone else, tales has always seemed like that in my experience. Though in Graces enemies seem really good at trying to take out someone attempting to do a revive spell/heal in general.

Top Bottom