• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Rhapsody

Banned
It also wouldn't have been enforced.

And it's silly, since I don't see the problem with people talking about it. Begging for translation over and over is what gets tiring, but if someone is playing Vesperia PS3 and wants to talk about it, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to.
Now I wonder which gets begged the most. Vesperia PS3 or Trails series.
Jude in Xillia 2 was hard for me to use because of how broken he was in the first Xillia.
Even though he was nerfed hard, I had a habit of playing him. Then I switch to Ludger every now and then and I feel so OP.
Yeah, the lilial orb system was pretty disappointing.

I mean I guess you could plan ahead in trying to not waste your gp on skills you won't use but it's not really worth the time since you'll end up getting everything anyway.
I actually enjoyed the lilial orb. I kept playing on a high difficulty so I had to plan out which ones I really needed after each level up.
What disappointed me the most about it was it basically was the reason for having a small level cap for a Tales game.

I guess they couldn't be bothered with making more webs for more stats and abilities.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
IMO (and I'll italicize that for emphasis, since I usually get dinged for talking about how different difficulties feel), Xillia isn't really that hard in order to efficiently plan out which attacks/skills you want, though. Even on Hard/Unknown. It's especially since if you learn to use Jude's vanish skill really well, you'll rarely get hit. If you efficiently charge spells and cancel enemy attacks, you'll dodge strikes. And so on and so forth. The characters already had the skills required to alleviate some of the stresses of Hard/Unknown, and whatever you pick for equipped skills/artes just feel like a bonus.

Tales of Xillia 2's Hard/Unknown mode was more challenging than Xillia's in some spots, and thank goodness for that.

Boss battles haven't really been that great since Hearts since enemies like to be sponges or they're designed in such a way that they're just not fun to combat due to using their hi-ougi/going in to OVL with little reason, or some of their attacks just seem to home in on you to enable the boss hi-ougi. At the end, they become tests of endurance, and that's not in a very good way. Especially on hard.

Bladenic

Ugh yeah I remember having to equip basic stuff that was already available in other Tales games in Vesperia. It got kind of annoying when I'd forget a character didnt have Item Throw yet during a boss or something.

Edit: ugh yeah Hearts started the trend of "lolz let me just get out of this here combo and put my shield back up."

Edit 2: just realized I started both paragraphs with "ugh yeah" haha

Labadal

Especially since it's not like Vesperia where I have to actually work for and equip certain moves (ex: Backstep) that should be a default move in the first place.

Going from Graces/Xillia/Xillia 2 back to Vesperia felt weird and kinda restricting a few weeks ago, lol.
I felt the same way going from Graces f to Vesperia. Basic skills that should be available from the start having to be unlocked was annoying to say the least. I also feel that Vesperia is way to slow when I got back to it. I still enjoy the combat, but it's not as good as Graces f. Vesperia combat is actually not very different from Abyss combat expect FoF in Abyss and Overlimit in Vesperia.

Graces still has the best customization system out of this gen's Tales games.
It has the best customization system of all the Tales games I have played. Unfortunately, I have missed a lot of games in the series. Can't make comparisons like some of you guys can.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It has the best customization system of all the Tales games I have played. Unfortunately, I have missed a lot of games in the series. Can't make comparisons like some of you guys can.

Feel free to just join in and talk whatever. I mean, who knows. You might be motivated to play more!

I really want to get that Symphonia HD remaster since I never played it on the gamecube. I played it a little bit on Dolphin, but the sound issues, unvoiced skits, and the step down in combat made me unmotivated to continue.

Bladenic

Graces and Rebirth have the best customization systems IMO. Legendia is the worst for having, like, nothing. Excluding that I don't care much for Hearts or Abyss' systems, but they are alright.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I really want to get that Symphonia HD remaster since I never played it on the gamecube. I played it a little bit on Dolphin, but the sound issues, unvoiced skits, and the step down in combat made me unmotivated to continue.

Well the combat gets better when you get more spells. Still obviously the series have evolved since that time in a lot of ways. The story and characters are still likable and overall there is some fun to be had if you stick to it. Its certainly no FF13 where you need to do lik 25 hours of gameplay to start enjoying it but the beginning as many RPGs its quite slow.

Well the combat gets better when you get more spells. Still obviously the series have evolved since that time in a lot of ways. The story and characters are still likable and overall there is some fun to be had if you stick to it. Its certainly no FF13 where you need to do lik 25 hours of gameplay to start enjoying it but the beginning as many RPGs its quite slow.

I'll stop playing it on Dolphin since the HD remaster is on its way. I'm hoping for dual audio because I've been spoiled by voiced skits (Vesperia being my first Tales game), and the pacing of Symphonia's skits was horrible.

tumblr_me65kzu0Sg1r9zabzo1_400.gif

tumblr_m5z0ovuIMT1r9zabzo1_400.gif

tumblr_lztrtyljLD1r9zabzo1_400.gif

Agreed? XD

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Looks like my first Tales will be Xillia. I was debating on either Persona 3FES or Graces f tonight and went with P3FES. I do still have ToS for GCN but at this point will probably just wait for the remaster.

Is Xillia a good game to get into the series with or is there another readily available game I should play first?

Looks like my first Tales will be Xillia. I was debating on either Persona 3FES or Graces f tonight and went with P3FES. I do still have ToS for GCN but at this point will probably just wait for the remaster.

Is Xillia a good game to get into the series with or is there another readily available game I should play first?

I think Symphonia is probably the easiest one to start with TBH.

Link1110

Yeah, the lilial orb system was pretty disappointing.

I mean I guess you could plan ahead in trying to not waste your gp on skills you won't use but it's not really worth the time since you'll end up getting everything anyway.
I think I did, but is it for anything other than Hi-Ougis?

And I was reading that Tale Phantasia thing. You'd think with 5 games in this continuity and so many remakes of Phantasia, the other two parts of that story would have been made somehow. :(

Rhapsody

Banned
IMO (and I'll italicize that for emphasis, since I usually get dinged for talking about how different difficulties feel), Xillia isn't really that hard in order to efficiently plan out which attacks/skills you want, though. Even on Hard/Unknown. It's especially since if you learn to use Jude's vanish skill really well, you'll rarely get hit. If you efficiently charge spells and cancel enemy attacks, you'll dodge strikes. And so on and so forth. The characters already had the skills required to alleviate some of the stresses of Hard/Unknown, and whatever you pick for equipped skills/artes just feel like a bonus.
I actually agree. I didn't struggle too much even on boss fights. I mostly stuck with Leia though outside of boss fights since Jude was just crazy good. I just liked the fact it gave me a choice on which stats I wanted at the moment.

The only time I had to lower the difficulty was the last boss fight... Without using any cheap tactics, I feel like you can't just beat it with pure skill. You need to either be lucky or have good enough stats.

The difficulty settings are actually one of my few big issues with Tales games. Seems like you just end up with one of two extremes like Abyss where you are just beating on a brick wall that has tons of hp and you aren't doing any damage because the tools you have available aren't adequate for the stats the monsters have or you have a situation like graces where they gave you so many tools that even the hardest difficulty is a total snooze fest the entire game through.

Graces was the first tales of game where I just straight dropped it during the endgame content due to how bored I had been with how easy everything was. The only parts that gave me much issue were the beat X boss in X amount of time trophies and doing them on my first playthrough but even those i was able to knock out without much hassle without even dropping the difficulty all the way down.

I don't remember where exactly many of the others fell on the spectrum but I would really like more somewhere in the middle where it becomes hard but not in an unfair hp sponge kind of way while staying away from being so powerful everything dies before it can hit you.

I actually agree. I didn't struggle too much even on boss fights. I mostly stuck with Leia though outside of boss fights since Jude was just crazy good. I just liked the fact it gave me a choice on which stats I wanted at the moment.

The only time I had to lower the difficulty was the last boss fight... Without using any cheap tactics, I feel like you can't just beat it with pure skill. You need to either be lucky or have good enough stats.

Dunno, but I hated boss fights in Xillia. Sure the elemental system basically made some of them impossible to lose, but they were basically damage sponges and it would take forever for me to actually take them down. It was just tiresome that I usually lower the difficulty just so I wouldn't take forever on them.

Though, I would admit with some grade shop bonuses, the bosses suddenly become super fun in terms of what the crap is happening on my screen at times.

RPGCrazied

One more month until Xillia! Such a long wait, anyone else doing anything Talesy while they wait for this game? I'm not, just planning on keeping a week clear that release week. :)

One more month until Xillia! Such a long wait, anyone else doing anything Talesy while they wait for this game? I'm not, just planning on keeping a week clear that release week. :)

I have been thinking about either going back to my Graces save in the post game to try to make some progress towards the plat or attempting to play my copy of Vesperia ps3 but both options have some hurdles holding me back.

For Graces I don't really know that I have the stomach to finish off that post game dungeon and start doing the other stuff I have left because I had gotten rather bored by the time I actually dropped it.

For Vesperia I am just really not confident in my ability to get an adequate enough amount of enjoyment out of playing it without having any ability to read japanese. I have been looking all over for any kinds of classes in my area for a long time now to start learning but there's none to be found.

I imagine I will probably just end up finding something or other to mess around with until SMTIV later this month and hope that holds me off long enough for Xillia to come out.

Question about the Xillia pre-order bonus costumes. Are they available in Europe for standard copies of the game or just for the Collector's Edition?

luokyl

Question about the Xillia pre-order bonus costumes. Are they available in Europe for standard copies of the game or just for the Collector's Edition?
In addition to this Collector’s Edition, an exclusive Day One Edition of Tales of Xillia will be available to purchase from selected retailers for the price of the standard retail version. This Limited Edition will include an art book and the Original Soundtrack. Fans who pre-order this Day One Edition will receive in addition to all these extra items, exclusive costumes for Jude and Milla and a special PS3 custom theme.

Apparently yes
From NamcoBandaiEU
http://www.uk.namcobandaigames.eu/n...d-collector-s-edition-of-tales-of-xillia/3461

Vazra

SMH I had a dream about a new Tales of game and it wasn't going to be localized.

Tales of Jubilee

It was a Cyberconnect x Symphonia team. Cyberconnect handled all the models and animations while Symphonia team focused on the story and combat system. The game main story revolved around time traveling with the party basically fixing time paradoxes all around different Tales of universes that were being created by the villain of the new game which obviously would bring chaos that would affect the whole universe. You would meet up and in some cases team up with some older Tales of characters in order to get the events back to their normal flow and erasing the errors that were being caused on history.

The combat system looked pretty fast using Symphonia like camera but better at following the action and depending the moves done it would change the camera angles into something a bit more flashy. There were physical attacks, artificial artes and artes. This Artes system was somewhat odd yet cool as the artificial artes were some pretty basic artes that could be linked with others between regular attacks without interrupting much the flow while the artes where the ones that are finishers or take more time to do but obviously more rewarding. The summoning system was pretty friendly too as the requisite in order to do summons the character would simply had to charge a bar which you could use anytime you want and apparently by the end of the game you could link 3 summons one after the other.

I need to stop reading the thread and sleep more often I suppose LOL

Labadal

I have 90 unfinished games not counting PS+ games. I can wait.

The question is if I'll even have time to play it much. I also want Killer is Dead, Dragon's Crown and some gaffer said Bravely Default is a August game in EU. Crazy month.
I'll be getting DARK, Mario & Luigi: DT and Shadowrun Returns in July.

Vazra

I have 90 unfinished games not counting PS+ games. I can wait.

The question is if I'll even have time to play it much. I also want Killer is Dead, Dragon's Crown and some gaffer said Bravely Default is a August game in EU. Crazy month.
I'll be getting DARK, Mario & Luigi: DT and Shadowrun Returns in July.

I have Killer is Dead, Tales of Xillia and Dragon's Crown for August. August its a wallet killer month.

tumblr_me65kzu0Sg1r9zabzo1_400.gif

tumblr_m5z0ovuIMT1r9zabzo1_400.gif

tumblr_lztrtyljLD1r9zabzo1_400.gif

Agreed? XD
No. ( maybe yes )

The secret boss in abyss is only a pain the the last difficulty and even by then , there are plenty of tricks to prevent him from killing you

The all secret missions in vesperia IS a total pain indeed.
I agree on this one, nevermin that the ps3 version added 2 secret missions to get ( RAGE )

And the thing when games aren't releasaed in my country is something that should make me rage , but it doesn't anymore because i'm now importing ( Hello tales of hearts , hello radiant mythology 3.)

kayos90

Playing through PxZ right now. SMT4 in a few weeks then ToX after that. Hilarious that I'm buying this game again...

Bladenic

Started a new game plus in Graces to get 2 boss trophies I missed. It was super fun but then I accidentally saved over with my post game save (I had gotten the trophies) and don't feel like doing it again :(

But meanwhile I'm playing Xillia 2 (I know I know), and started Project X Zone yesterday and I got my faves Yuri and Estelle and they are awesome.

Rhapsody

Banned
Dunno, but I hated boss fights in Xillia. Sure the elemental system basically made some of them impossible to lose, but they were basically damage sponges and it would take forever for me to actually take them down. It was just tiresome that I usually lower the difficulty just so I wouldn't take forever on them.

Though, I would admit with some grade shop bonuses, the bosses suddenly become super fun in terms of what the crap is happening on my screen at times.

I didn't like them either, and thought they were poorly done. I didn't have any problems taking too long on them for some reason. It has been a long time so I could be remember wrong though.

I honestly don't know how Tales games should even balance out bosses. Having it like Xillia was boring since they can just randomly break out of combos but on the other hand, with Tales games having easier combo systems now, it can be too easy like Destiny or Hearts.

Bladenic

Vesperia had great bosses IMO. As long as you weren't going for the secret missions for some of them (Yeager lolz) they were really fun. There very few really cheap ones, Gattuso obviously as well as Alexei but otherwise I've encountered way more and way cheaper bosses in Xillia 2 than in Vesperia, and I'm not even done with it yet.

kayos90

No. ( maybe yes )

The secret boss in abyss is only a pain the the last difficulty and even by then , there are plenty of tricks to prevent him from killing you

The all secret missions in vesperia IS a total pain indeed.
I agree on this one, nevermin that the ps3 version added 2 secret missions to get ( RAGE )

And the thing when games aren't releasaed in my country is something that should make me rage , but it doesn't anymore because i'm now importing ( Hello tales of hearts , hello radiant mythology 3.)

I think Secret missions are a nice challenge parameter but some of them are just plain fucking stupid. The Snake move that Raven has to use and the the Yeager one in particular suck.

Rhapsody

Banned
Be careful since the PSP EU version of ToE has a Volt Glitch on the earlier versions of the game that prevents you from finishing the game.
I'd suggest looking up how to figure out which version of the game it is.

Be careful since the PSP EU version of ToE has a Volt Glitch on the earlier versions of the game that prevents you from finishing the game.

yeah i got that :( , you can download a save file to pass that place but its not the same....

Labadal

Eternia PSP worth 10€? Never played the series and that would be quite cheap entry point.

Graces F would be 20€ tho...

Eternia has a really fun combat system and the same goes for Graces f. Neither of them have particularly good stories. I recommend both.

Heyt

Banned
What? I'd love to get Eternia PSP for just 10€! All the prices I found were above 30. And avove 40 for any version with english text...

Kasumin

You can tell if it's the glitched version or not by what firmware it includes with it. I believe that firmware 2.5 and above means you're fine. Anything below 2.5 means it's likely to have the glitch, from what I've read.

kayos90

Not sure whether this will be Xillia or Symphonia related (or both), so I'll just use this thread

https://twitter.com/tales_ch/status/352221113574637568

I'm guessing this will be the ToSC dual audio news.

Some think it's Xillia 2. Considering Xillia 1 was announced the same time I wouldn't say it's too farfetched to say. It could also be dual-audio news. Considering they haven't been very liberal with their adjectives lately, the surprise might be a legit surprise. lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
pretty new to the tales series and i'm about 1h into Tales of grace f, anything I should know?

Think of the story as a PS1 game story. It's not brilliant or spectacular, just average.

Enjoy the battle system, and try not to miss out the cutscenes because a lot of them are hilarious.

kayos90

Someone also brought up an interesting point. Why does that tweet mention two specific different dates? Different announcements? It'd be odd to have the same announcement on those two days and mention it. Hmm... Interesting stuff.

Top Bottom