• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Rita is even more fun to use in the PS3 version as she gets a lot more physical attack artes.
That's funny. I disabled all her strike artes for the AI and keep flying and using magic combos exclusively when I'm controlling her.

I always see some cool combos combining strike and magic artes on youtube, but I can't bother pushing her forward.

FSLink

Banned
Ah, never noticed that.

Though Raine/Genis (and I guess the Legendia mages) were really the last pure mages that couldn't do a damn thing once they ran out of MP characters.

It's a shame, I think Genis could have had some pretty neat kendema physical artes. Raine could have some quirky Ruin mode mode, haha.

Gartooth

Sorry if that rule upsets people but just like how list wars are basically banned in the FF community thread for being a detriment I did the same for Vesperia PS3

It's kind of funny when you think of the thread title. "We cry out for unlocalized Tales games" and then "Vesperia PS3 discussion banned" XD. Of course there's really nothing to discuss about it, everyone really really wants it given how it adds more content to one of the most popular Tales games, but it will never happen due to the exclusive deal with MS, discussion over. Really nothing that can be added to that so I see why it is the way it is, we don't want to be talking in circles about it.

Bladenic

It's kind of funny when you think of the thread title. "We cry out for unlocalized Tales games" and then "Vesperia PS3 discussion banned" XD. Of course there's really nothing to discuss about it, everyone really really wants it given how it adds more content to one of the most popular Tales games, but it will never happen due to the exclusive deal with MS.

There was no exclusive deal. They probably just didnt want to get all the voice actors back plus get a new one for the new character. Probably didnt think it would be financially successful enough to justify bringing it over.

Considering the amount of guides for the game, there's really no reason not to import if someone wants to play it that badly. I haven't done it yet but I will at some point. I will miss the English VA though, especially Troy Baker.

Labadal

Title should had made fun of the fact that the series has entries on 67862760622 different platforms.

I have played games on the SNES, PS1, 360, PS3, PSP and 3DS. There are also games on the PS2, Gamecube, Wii, GBA, NDS and Vita. I've probably missed some platforms. Twelve freaking systems that I know of, lol.

Bladenic

Title should had made fun of the fact that the series has entries on 67862760622 different platforms.

I have played games on the SNES, PS1, 360, PS3, PSP and 3DS. There are also games on the PS2, Gamecube, Wii, GBA, NDS and Vita. I've probably missed some platforms. Twelve freaking systems that I know of, lol.

It took Namco half a generation to realize the audience for the games were on Sony platforms lol.

Gartooth

There was no exclusive deal. They probably just didnt want to get all the voice actors back plus get a new one for the new character. Probably didnt think it would be financially successful enough to justify bringing it over.

Considering the amount of guides for the game, there's really no reason not to import if someone wants to play it that badly. I haven't done it yet but I will at some point. I will miss the English VA though, especially Troy Baker.

Well guess I was wrong on that.

Anyway can someone tell me how Symphonia holds up? Never played that game but I'm wondering whether or not I should try it out when the re-release comes out. Coming from someone who has played several recent Tales games, would the experience be lost on someone like me?

alexein

yep, they didnt see any success in bringing vesperia on ps3 on the east, but its fine we'll get the port or remake when he comes.
Abyss and symphonia are done so vesperia should be 2016-8.
In europe we didnt got destiny,eternia abyss,legendia at first but we got abyss and eternia on 3ds and psp.

Vanille

It took Namco half a generation to realize the audience for the games were on Sony platforms lol.

It kind of made sense given the cirumstances, though. Vesperia was moneyhatted and Graces was Team Destiny's first shot at a 3D game, so they probably didn't want to dive straight into HD development.

Bladenic

It kind of made sense given the cirumstances, though. Vesperia was moneyhatted and Graces was Team Destiny's first shot at a 3D game, so they probably didn't want to dive straight into HD development.

True but then there were also 3 DS games with middling sales. I guess since they were much cheaper to make they were probably still financially successful (though Hearts definitely seemed like an expensive game for the DS).

Oh well, they wisened up eventually at least. I'm gonna guess that there's gonna be another mainline game for the PS3 then they will probably head to the next gen systems, but it's hardly guaranteed. Vesperia took 3/2 years to appear on current gen.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's kind of funny when you think of the thread title. "We cry out for unlocalized Tales games" and then "Vesperia PS3 discussion banned" XD. Of course there's really nothing to discuss about it, everyone really really wants it given how it adds more content to one of the most popular Tales games, but it will never happen due to the exclusive deal with MS, discussion over. Really nothing that can be added to that so I see why it is the way it is, we don't want to be talking in circles about it.

The original subtitle was "Talk about Vesperia PS3? Get Banned." I decided to change it since that would scare away people.

Aeana

The original subtitle was "Talk about Vesperia PS3? Get Banned." I decided to change it since that would scare away people.
It also wouldn't have been enforced.

And it's silly, since I don't see the problem with people talking about it. Begging for translation over and over is what gets tiring, but if someone is playing Vesperia PS3 and wants to talk about it, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to.

kayos90

It also wouldn't have been enforced.

And it's silly, since I don't see the problem with people talking about it. Begging for translation over and over is what gets tiring, but if someone is playing Vesperia PS3 and wants to talk about it, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to.

It was an exaggerative subtitle. I definitely didn't mean it literally and it wasn't so people wouldn't talk about Vesperia PS3. There are people out there who own the game and should be encouraged to talk about it. I knew that people would misinterpret or didn't get the joke which is why I actually didn't end up using it. I just don't want people begging for Vesperia PS3. That's all.

Seda

Stating disappointment that a game wasn't ever localized is okay. I know I am, I'd love to play ToV PS3 in English.

Just don't shit up the thread with annoying and constant whining about it and we're good :).

kayos90

Stating disappointment that a game wasn't ever localized is okay. I know I am, I'd love to play ToV PS3 in English.

Just don't shit up the thread with annoying and constant whining about it and we're good :).

Yup. See Aeana? Seda gets me! =D

Well... it might also be because he saw the OT in progress anyway, rofl.

On another note, I went back and actually played both the 360 and PS3 Vesperia games. I much prefer the english dub cast. I think they sound better and the script is pretty good too.

DR2K

Banned
Vesperia ps3, the one that got away...

I'm wondering if I should give graces a fair shot. Last time I was expecting something like Vesperia, I'll probably wait for xilia.

Jathaine

That and Moon Selector, Item Thrower, and Manual select. :/

Moon Selecter and Manual for sure.
Item Thrower? Well...

Lets just say that my dream "Tales of" game would probably have trait trees to enhance the characters/artes and one character would have traits like that on one their trees and could essentially be made into the Chat of the game (good with items.)
I'm not sure if I'd want it standard. Also, speaking of items... I think I'd like to see the item cooldown time increased overall.
That's just me though.

Labadal

Honestly Vesperia PS3 is nothing compared to the days of the PS2 era. It was not fun being a European fan of the series.

Gartooth

Vesperia ps3, the one that got away...

I'm wondering if I should give graces a fair shot. Last time I was expecting something like Vesperia, I'll probably wait for xilia.

I'm not sure if I should be, but for some reason I'm really paranoid about buying/playing Xillia given the negative import impressions about the lack of content, shitty bosses, etc.

The one thing I will say is that the cast shows promise so I hope the game doesn't let me down in that aspect.

DR2K

Banned
I'm not sure if I should be, but for some reason I'm really paranoid about buying/playing Xillia given the negative import impressions about the lack of content, shitty bosses, etc.

The one thing I will say is that the cast shows promise so I hope the game doesn't let me down in that aspect.

In the same vain there were a lot of positive impressions for graces which really set the bar higher for me. My expectations for xillia are more fair

Necrovex

It's strange, the impressions have actually hyped me up a little bit. Xillia sounds like a Tales of game that I have been waiting for since Vespira. I don't have a huge problem with reuse content (I survived Shit Mountain (DA2)!).

Bladenic

Item Thrower? Well...

Lets just say that my dream "Tales of" game would probably have trait trees to enhance the characters/artes and one character would have traits like that on one their trees and could essentially be made into the Chat of the game (good with items.)
I'm not sure if I'd want it standard. Also, speaking of items... I think I'd like to see the item cooldown time increased overall.
That's just me though.

Repede in Vesperia was amazing with items.

Gartooth

It's strange, the impressions have actually hyped me up a little bit. Xillia sounds like a Tales of game that I have been waiting for since Vespira. I don't have a huge problem with reuse content (I survived Shit Mountain (DA2)!).

The reused content does have me worried, especially the dual storylines thing which I hope is more than "play this really really long JRPG a 2nd time just for 2 hours of bonus content".

Necrovex

The reused content does have me worried, especially the dual storylines thing which I hope is more than "play this really really long JRPG a 2nd time just for 2 hours of bonus content".

I don't really replay Tales of games anymore (I don't have the free time like I did back in high school), but I plan to watch Milla'a side on Youtube. But I am happy that the Tales of team tried this formula rather than ignore it.

But I am curious to know how much content there is between the two MCs. Who here can help us out?

I don't really replay Tales of games anymore (I don't have the free time like I did back in high school), but I plan to watch Milla'a side on Youtube. But I am happy that the Tales of team tried this formula rather than ignore it.

But I am curious to know how much content there is between the two MCs. Who here can help us out?

The main difference is that depending on which lead you choose, the focus will be primarily on them. So after some event, you'll see their reactions with the party members or what they have been doing or whatever.

Content-wise, it's mostly the same. I think you explore a dungeon or two differently depending on the lead and there are one or two different bosses you fight. You do go through a different dungeon depending on the lead and I believe there's also a dungeon that's exclusive to Milla's side.

FSLink

Banned
Item Thrower? Well...

That's just me though.

I do agree that traits like that help character individuality, it just strikes me as dumb restricting a feature that's always been there. Keep the base Item Thrower there, do stuff like less cooldown or whatnot like Repede in Vesperia had for individual characters.

Repede in Vesperia was amazing with items.

Gale Dog > No Items Ever

Another feature they need to keep standard: proper co-op during battles. I get Legendia was an exception due to the different team probably forgetting about it, but Xillia/Xillia 2's co-op is really lame thanks to the Link system making the AI auto control your partner if you're doing co-op. :| Probably the most significant "team" mechanic in the series thus far, but it doesn't work with co-op!?

Bladenic

I do agree that traits like that help character individuality, it just strikes me as dumb restricting a feature that's always been there. Keep the base Item Thrower there, do stuff like less cooldown or whatnot like Repede in Vesperia had for individual characters.

Gale Dog > No Items Ever

Gale Dog was so broken but so useful for MAs. Yuri, Rita, and Repede were pretty much untouchable late game. I liked that pretty much every character was good solo, since it didn't make beating the coliseum a huge chore with them. Too bad they took out the Force Field glitch in the PS3 version.

Bladenic

I gotta say, I really like Jude. Not only is he a cool character, but he's really fun to play as and he's probably my favorite link partner. I also just unlocked his dual hi ougi with Ludger, it's soooo AWESOME.

kayos90

I gotta say, I really like Jude. Not only is he a cool character, but he's really fun to play as and he's probably my favorite link partner. I also just unlocked his dual hi ougi with Ludger, it's soooo AWESOME.

Jude in Xillia 2 was hard for me to use because of how broken he was in the first Xillia.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You say that like no other Tales game "got away".
Destiny's PS2 remake is the one I would single out, if only because we got the original Destiny and not getting its remake is kind of a kick in the face.

Although, not getting Destiny 2 or Rebirth is just as bad.

Innocence can stay in Japan forever. Hearts... I dunno. We might still get the Vita remake.

Mieu

TOV PS3, I have been trying to do a platinum for that. I just have issues with the titles. Same with Innocence R.

Tales of Xillia is a game on track but lacks that "oomph!" factor to make it memorable. The lack of free costumes, cameo battles/characters, not-so-exciting side quests.. I even remember the fanbase guessing that Senel would be the cameo character. Fist fight between him and Jude.

Fortunately, they fixed that in TOX 2.

Link1110

TOV PS3, I have been trying to do a platinum for that. I just have issues with the titles. Same with Innocence R.

Tales of Xillia is a game on track but lacks that "oomph!" factor to make it memorable. The lack of free costumes, cameo battles/characters, not-so-exciting side quests.. I even remember the fanbase guessing that Senel would be the cameo character. Fist fight between him and Jude.

I only got 6 hours into Xillia before my PS3 got wiped, but my impressions were...

Characters seem OK
What is the sphere grid doing here?
What is with the bands in battle?
Are there any actual dungeons in this thing?
Really nice graphics, expecially the flower town.

My ps3 is like 7,000 miles away from me ATM so I don't have the chance to give it another shot yet, but maybe one day.

Aeana

You got 6 hours into the game without hitting the link tutorial? Huh.

The lilial orb system is also nothing like the sphere grid. I wish it was.

Yeah, the lilial orb system was pretty disappointing.

I mean I guess you could plan ahead in trying to not waste your gp on skills you won't use but it's not really worth the time since you'll end up getting everything anyway.

Mieu

It's a spider web when completed-With butterflies on top!

I only got 6 hours into Xillia before my PS3 got wiped, but my impressions were...

Characters seem OK Tipo is better than Mieu. I think

What is the sphere grid doing here? It's a web grid.

What is with the bands in battle? to do the flashy support and link artes. Big Tipo Artes. each character has a support ability like giving life, buff, etc

Are there any actual dungeons in this thing? I guess you could count caverns as dungeons.

Really nice graphics, expecially the flower town. Hmm flower town? I only remember Il Fan but that's with trees and
Elise's room is full of flowers.

My ps3 is like 7,000 miles away from me ATM so I don't have the chance to give it another shot yet, but maybe one day.

Bladenic

Your post regarding Senel made me think of a really cool thing they could have done for Xillia. Each character could have fought a different cameo 1 on 1 based on their archetypes. Jude could have fought Senel, Milla against Zelos, Alvin against Innes or Karol for the lulz, Rowen against Rita (Tidal Wave spamming), Leia against other single target healers like Natalia/Sophie/Kohaku (can't think of other staff users like her for some reason), and Elise against any staff/wand wielding healer like Raine or Tear.

Alas :(

Jathaine

Your post regarding Senel made me think of a really cool thing they could have done for Xillia. Each character could have fought a different cameo 1 on 1 based on their archetypes. Jude could have fought Senel, Milla against Zelos, Alvin against Innes or Karol for the lulz, Rowen against Rita (Tidal Wave spamming), Leia against other single target healers like Natalia/Sophie/Kohaku (can't thing of other staff users like her for some reason), and Elise against any staff/wand wielding healer like Raine or Tear.

Alas :(

Though she doesn't use a staff... Leia vs Farah would have been ideal.
Do it in the Farah costume for maximum loveliness.

kayos90

Yeah, the lilial orb system was pretty disappointing.

I mean I guess you could plan ahead in trying to not waste your gp on skills you won't use but it's not really worth the time since you'll end up getting everything anyway.

You'll end up getting all of the skills and it's not hard to get them all. Also certain characters benefit from rushing certain stats sincethey fit that archtype so... Idk. I found it very boring compared to say something like... the Aerosol Orb system.

You'll end up getting all of the skills and it's not hard to get them all. Also certain characters benefit from rushing certain stats sincethey fit that archtype so... Idk. I found it very boring compared to say something like... the Aerosol Orb system.

The main problem with rushing certain stats is mostly you'll end up getting everything anyway so it's only a temporary bonus and you could end up missing out on certain skills/artes that would have been helpful to have.

In my second playthrough I tried just aiming for the skills I wanted but that turned out to be a pain to actually do and just went ahead with getting everything anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should've did what I did on my second/fourth playthroughs: just imported half of my levels (because I'd gotten to level 99 on my first/third playthroughs). Just pressed one button so I wouldn't have to pick and choose which orbs to get, because it doesn't even matter what you get unless you're aiming for specific skills. Even then, the Lillial Orb doesn't require much thought compared to Arousal Orb/Arrowsal Orb/Aerosol Orb whatever you want to romanize that to I don't care.

I did most of the hard work for both plats on my first/third playthroughs so that the second/fourth could be about 6 hours or so (with skipping most cutscenes).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Especially since it's not like Vesperia where I have to actually work for and equip certain moves (ex: Backstep) that should be a default move in the first place.

Going from Graces/Xillia/Xillia 2 back to Vesperia felt weird and kinda restricting a few weeks ago, lol.

Top Bottom