• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

In Tales of Vesperia, is there a way to halve the TP used in Artes like an accessory that was present in Eternia? (it's the last mainline game I played before Vesperia).

Or is my only way to deal with the excessive amount of TP used with skills is to use the FS Bonus 2 skill to re-gain TP with Fatal Strikes?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In Tales of Vesperia, is there a way to halve the TP used in Artes like an accessory that was present in Eternia? (it's the last mainline game I played before Vesperia).

Or is my only way to deal with the excessive amount of TP used with skills is to use the FS Bonus 2 skill to re-gain TP with Fatal Strikes?

I believe there are two items. One reduces it by a 1/3 and the other 1/2. Fairy Ring or something like that.

Bladenic

Some think it's Xillia 2. Considering Xillia 1 was announced the same time I wouldn't say it's too farfetched to say. It could also be dual-audio news. Considering they haven't been very liberal with their adjectives lately, the surprise might be a legit surprise. lol.

Having Xillia 2 announced before Xillia comes out would be a true miracle.

Someone also brought up an interesting point. Why does that tweet mention two specific different dates? Different announcements? It'd be odd to have the same announcement on those two days and mention it. Hmm... Interesting stuff.

I assume it's because Anime Expo and Japan Expo are both being held this weekend, one in America and the other in Europe.

And there is probably an panel for Tales or at least Namco on one of those two dates.

kayos90

I assume it's because Anime Expo and Japan Expo are both being held this weekend, one in America and the other in Europe.

And there is probably an panel for Tales or at least Namco on one of those two dates.

Could be true but I'm not sure if they'd spread it out to two events like that. Who knows.

kayos90

They could easily do NA news and EU news (whatever that could really be, I guess a release date for Symphonia HD).

It would be easy for them to do but if they announce it for one region, it's sort of weird to announce it two days later for another region since it'd be the same info. Idk. I think it'd be pointless. That's just me.

Flamfas

Someone also brought up an interesting point. Why does that tweet mention two specific different dates? Different announcements? It'd be odd to have the same announcement on those two days and mention it. Hmm... Interesting stuff.

I was thinking this too. Best case scenario, dual audio on one day, ToX2 the next. For all we know the surprise could even be related to ToX though, so it might not be anything big.

No demo at all for Xillia.

It actually *did* have one, but it was at retailers only and was not available on PSN.

kayos90

It's obvious that it's dual audio news. Why else would Lloyd's japanese VA go there with him? If it was Xilla 2, I'll do a backflip.

Well, I think dual-audio is sort of given at this point. It's a matter of "is it also xillia 2?" now.

Rhapsody

Banned
It feels so weird for Bandai Namco to be this involved for Tales outside of Japan. Hopefully they can keep this up for as long as they can.

If they keep this up and have dual audio for every game, I might end up just waiting for the localization for every title if they're out in a timely manner.

At best, I'd like for them to at least announce localizations soon after the Japanese reveal. I know Symphonia was an exception for obvious reasons, but it'd be nice to have it happen to all mothership titles.

kewlmyc

Yup, plus it makes no logical sense whatsoever to announce the same thing twice at the same event.

so it's more "Dual audio and what?"

Oh, I didn't noticed that he announced 2 different events. I'm proceeding with caution though. Better to not expect anything than to expect something and get disappointment.

RPGCrazied

They wouldn't announce Xillia 2 for NA/EU without seeing sells from the first game, though Graces F didn't do so hot, but they are releasing Xillia. I'd hope for an earlier release date. :)

Jubern

They wouldn't announce Xillia 2 for NA/EU without seeing sells from the first game, though Graces F didn't do so hot, but they are releasing Xillia. I'd hope for an earlier release date. :)

Maybe they've lowered their expectations for the series Graces F still did well enough? Do we know how it did in Europe?

I have a PS3 and a 3DS.

If I were inclined to take the plunge into this venerable series, which game would you recommend?

Handheld, Tales of the Abyss still holds well (and is your only handheld option anyway).

For the PS3, you could choose between Graces and Xillia.

Graces has the weaker story but much better battle system.

Xillia has the best presentation but a more duller battle system.

Flamfas

Seda didn't you see me and kayos on twitter? Go to the FB page, there is an event with Baba listed tomorrow at 13:00 local time (6:00 AM CDT)

They wouldn't announce Xillia 2 for NA/EU without seeing sells from the first game

That's what I was thinking, but perhaps pre-order figures alone are impressive enough. Would also be unfortunate for them to have passed up the opportunity for the VAs to voice both games at once.

Seda

Seda didn't you see me and kayos on twitter? Go to the FB page, there is an event with Baba listed tomorrow at 13:00 local time (6:00 AM CDT)

Cool thanks. I've been really busy all day and I just started to look into what's happening with Japan Expo. I figured their site schedule would be the best place to start.

Xillia 2 will come over with Dual-audio. Except Ludger will be fully voiced in English!

Seriously the decision to have Ludger have minimal lines of dialogue on a first play though was such a baffling decision I still don't get it. All the footage I've seen of Xillia 2 just feels wrong.

Flamfas

Cool thanks. I've been really busy all day and I just started to look into what's happening with Japan Expo. I figured their site schedule would be the best place to start.

Ah, it's all good! I was trying to make sense of that page too until Isshak pointed me towards the Facebook page

Jubern

Seriously the decision to have Ludger have minimal lines of dialogue on a first play though was such a baffling decision I still don't get it. All the footage I've seen of Xillia 2 just feels wrong.

It really is half-assed. One particular moment of the story is made incredibly awkward by the fact he doesn't speak. You can tell they didn't know how to do a silent protagonist and tried to back off that decision way too late in the process, leaving us with something even stranger: the "voice option", which is only Ludger's VA reading out loud the answers you pick for him, in a totally NOT transparent way.

Seda

So going by the Tales Series Facebook page:

• Stage event 1 is July 4th at 7:00AM EDT. @talesch teased "surprise information" here.
  • There is a stage event on July 5th at 10:00AM EDT. This lines up with the Xillia cosplay contest listed on the Japan Expo site.
  • There is a stage event on July 6th at 10:00AM EDT. @talesch teased "surprise information" here as well.
  • A final stage event is listed on July 7th at 10:00 AM EDT. I don't know what this is.
Okay now I'm caught up.

Bladenic

Oh God yes the silent protagonist thing with Ludger is, honestly, one of the more terrible decisions they've made in a game in the series. As a consequence, Ludger comes across as very awkward and boring. You can kind of tell that he has shades of interesting characterization, but the execution does him no good service. As a result I find myself caring more about the Xillia cast than I do Ludger. What's more, you don't get any meaningful interactions between Ludger and the rest of the cast other than the choices. It's weird too since there are relationship values.

i wasn't planning to ( because i've already played those games to death ) but if the western release has dual audio i'll buy it again.

BUt i'm not going to make guesses ..why , because last year i was in the wrong and i don't want to be wrong again.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
So going by the Tales Series Facebook page:

• Stage event 1 is July 4th at 7:00AM EDT. @talesch teased "surprise information" here.
  • There is a stage event on July 5th at 10:00AM EDT. This lines up with the Xillia cosplay contest listed on the Japan Expo site.
  • There is a stage event on July 6th at 10:00AM EDT. @talesch teased "surprise information" here as well.
  • A final stage event is listed on July 7th at 10:00 AM EDT. I don't know what this is.
Okay now I'm caught up.

Really looking forward to this "surprise information". I'm not going to let myself get hyped or anything, though...

Seda

Woops I was mistaken. The cosplay thing is on the 4th, not the 5th. So I don't know what the second stage event listed on the Facebook page is either. Nothing has been teased for it though.

What's more, you don't get any meaningful interactions between Ludger and the rest of the cast other than the choices. It's weird too since there are relationship values.

...How are skits even handled in this game?! Does he really just sit there in his portrait and make facial expressions while everyone talks around him?

So xilia players, I have been a tales fan since the original ps1 release. Tales of graces f was the first game I played co op, with my wife. We got about half way through when the story and characters just wore us down. Does xilia have better story/characters? Is the combat maybe less complicated? My wife wasn't a big fan of that either. She is a relatively new rpg gamer...... costume quest was her first. What say you gaf?

kayos90

So xilia players, I have been a tales fan since the original ps1 release. Tales of graces f was the first game I played co op, with my wife. We got about half way through when the story and characters just wore us down. Does xilia have better story/characters? Is the combat maybe less complicated? My wife wasn't a big fan of that either. She is a relatively new rpg gamer...... costume quest was her first. What say you gaf?

Read this!

http://www.rpgsite.net/reviews/400-tales-of-xillia-import-review

Rhapsody

Banned
...How are skits even handled in this game?! Does he really just sit there in his portrait and make facial expressions while everyone talks around him?

Yup, pretty much. While I didn't mind silent protags in other JRPGs, it felt weird in ToX2. Just seemed like he had a lot to say lol

Top Bottom