• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ludger having a voice would've made the relationship with Elle that much better. Sadly, this isn't the case. =/

So... why do we want Xillia 2 again? No Ludger voice, reused assets, having to pay off a debt to the mafia. This game just doesn't sound appealing to me other than the ridiculousness of Ludger being an entire army in combat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... why do we want Xillia 2 again? No Ludger voice, reused assets, having to pay off a debt to the mafia. This game just doesn't sound appealing to me other than the ridiculousness of Ludger being an entire army in combat.
It's more balanced than Xillia 1 and the story's actually pretty good so far. Probably one of the best Tales stories in the series.

Other than that, yeah, it's got major pacing problems. The trophies are more or less the same as Xillia 1's only you have to do the actions 450 times vs 150 or so.

Seda

I know a few people who say the story in Xillia 2 is better than the first, despite some of those issues. Not sure about battle gameplay differences though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As I posted before, everyone's speed/physics got nerfed. This is for the best in terms of balancing the game properly and not making everyone broken.

Though, ah, you certainly can break the game and reap the EXP bonuses for it still, lol. The same ways as you did in Xillia 1, and Ludger's got a neat exploit with his firearms for certain enemies, too.

Does Xillia 2 have more side quests?
It's how you can pay the debt off. Giganto monster hunting, too.

I'm not a very big fan of the sidequests, really. I never liked those sorts of sidequests in RPGs (ex: kill these, get these, etc.).

It's more balanced than Xillia 1 and the story's actually pretty good so far. Probably one of the best Tales stories in the series.

Other than that, yeah, it's got major pacing problems. The trophies are more or less the same as Xillia 1's only you have to do the actions 450 times vs 150 or so.

Urk. Damn that's saying a lot.
They should've tried the silent protagonist gimmick in Graces f. I probably would've been fine with it.

Jubern

When you put it like this, it sounds really bad. But the game is good, definitely an improvement over Xillia 1. The debt thing isn't that much of a problem after a while. You'll get the minimum for going to the next chapter very easily.
They tweaked some parts of the gameplay, like removing the need to save materials, streamlining the quest system and such. The character episodes are a pretty nice change of pace too. You could say the game is simply tighter than X1.

I'd say the story is fairly good and engaging for a Tales game, it has quite a few moments that'll definitely get a reaction from you.
Also, the added development for the old cast is very welcome and the new cast blends pretty well too, save for Ludger (which is kind of a mixed bag because of the silent thing).

Overall, I honestly enjoyed 2 more than 1.
Oh, but people who didn't play 1 and think "well then, might as well skip Xillia 1!" upon reading this: forget about it, your appreciation of 2 greatly depends of how much you know about 1's lore and characters.

When you put it like this, it sounds really bad. But the game is good, definitely an improvement over Xillia 1. The debt thing isn't that much of a problem after a while. You'll get the minimum for going to the next chapter very easily.
They tweaked some parts of the gameplay, like removing the need to save materials, streamlining the quest system and such. The character episodes are a pretty nice change of pace too. You could say the game is simply tighter than X1.

I'd say the story is fairly good and engaging for a Tales game, it has quite a few moments that'll definitely get a reaction from you.
Also, the added development for the old cast is very welcome and the new cast blends pretty well too, save for Ludger (which is kind of a mixed bag because of the silent thing).

Overall, I honestly enjoyed 2 more than 1.
Oh, but people who didn't play 1 and think "well then, might as well skip Xillia 1!" upon reading this: forget about it, your appreciation of 2 greatly depends of how much you know about 1's lore and characters.

Well I feel a little relieved now that I've been called out for being a little harsh :p
The things I listed were most of the concerns I saw with the game. If it ever does come out here I'm sure I can enjoy... even if getting used to Ludger kills me.

Bladenic

As I posted before, everyone's speed/physics got nerfed. This is for the best in terms of balancing the game properly and not making everyone broken.

Though, ah, you certainly can break the game and reap the EXP bonuses for it still, lol. The same ways as you did in Xillia 1, and Ludger's got a neat exploit with his firearms for certain enemies, too.

It's how you can pay the debt off. Giganto monster hunting, too.

I'm not a very big fan of the sidequests, really. I never liked those sorts of sidequests in RPGs (ex: kill these, get these, etc.).

Mind sharing that firearm exploit? :p
I NEVER use them unless I absolutely have to. I found one boss fight back in like chapter 6 to be annoying due to the weakness being guns.

Anyway, Xilia 2 is really good despite the problems. I will say that until chapter 7 I was getting pretty bored. Then Chapter 7 was really good and it kept getting better afterward. Up to the intermission before chapter 12, chapter 11 was insanely good (and sad :( ).

Aeana

The debt thing in Xillia 2 isn't really much of an issue. It's just kinda there. Silent Ludger is super awkward, though, no doubt about it.

Fou-Lu

I haven't finished a Tales game since Symphonia. So really just Phantasia, Destiny and Symphonia.

I have Abyss for 3DS and I'm considering it, but the load times seem annoying. I would like to play Vesperia but I no longer have a 360. Recommendations? I did love all three games I finished.

Jubern

I NEVER use them unless I absolutely have to. I found one boss fight back in like chapter 6 to be annoying due to the weakness being guns.

Anyway, Xilia 2 is really good despite the problems. I will say that until chapter 7 I was getting pretty bored. Then Chapter 7 was really good and it kept getting better afterward. Up to the intermission before chapter 12, chapter 11 was insanely good (and sad :( ).

Yeah it starts a bit slowly, Chapter 7 is definitely where it picks up, and then it doesn't really stops. Chapter 11&12 are the big highlights for me. Chapter 12 is the one where you (don't read people, you'll regret it)
kill alternate future Ludger
, right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm in the minority when it comes to Xillia 2's pacing, then. I really, really don't like how the game's structure and design was handled at all. It's got some good stuff in there, but the manner in which it was stitched is less than stellar and makes for poor pacing.

Here.
Not as bullshit as this video. :p

jK7GN.gif
Unlimited Bullets
WM8gf.gif

I just sent this to kayos but I figured I'd share it here. Remember how you could have comboed the Gentleman enemies into oblivion in the last game?

Same shit, different game, different dude.

Not as bad as SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! SPLLLLLASH! or (Milla spell spoilers for X1 and X2)
SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH SYLPH
but hahaha oh wow. From the combo vids I've seen it's specific to Ludger's guns.

And you can still pull off the same nonsense you could in Xillia 1 with Rowen in Xillia 2.

Additionally, you can do 3-combo + Negative Holder / (Xillia skill spoilers)
Sylph / Undine spam
with Milla, too.

How is Xillia's storyline compared to Vesperia?

Because honestly, as much as I love Vesperia's characters and the game itself the storyline completely fell apart after
Yuri decided to murder the unjust
. I thought it would get back together, but it's getting more and more crazy towards the end when
it's revealed that Raven is actually Captain Schwann
. (I just got to this part an hour ago)

I'm really hoping that the story's going to get better towards the end, but it's really not looking that way.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Here's my review for Xillia 2: http://www.rpgsite.net/reviews/422-tales-of-xillia-2-import-review

I think i'm one of the few people who enjoyed the game a lot despite it's shortcomings. I had a great time fiddling with the Aerosal Orb, the various character quests, etc. Some of the problems it has are removing real-time party member swaps, in-field party member swaps, horrible party combinations, tremendously terrible bosses on hard mode, and the silent Ludger.

Saiyan-Rox

Did anyone else hate tales of graces battle system? I still haven't finished the game its not gripping me at all tbh

I'm a tales fan definitely with symphonia and abyss being by faves with eternia being really close (finished it 4 times lol) just with graces....nah can't do it :S whats Xillia' battle system like compared to graces?

Bladenic

Here's my review for Xillia 2: http://www.rpgsite.net/reviews/422-tales-of-xillia-2-import-review

I think i'm one of the few people who enjoyed the game a lot despite it's shortcomings. I had a great time fiddling with the Aerosal Orb, the various character quests, etc. Some of the problems it has are removing real-time party member swaps, in-field party member swaps, horrible party combinations, tremendously terrible bosses on hard mode, and the silent Ludger.

Some bosses are crazy cheap.
Oh hey Volt, Musee and FUCKING CHRONOS
Granted that's on hard but still. And yeah @ forced party combos. Sometimes you get really good ones like Milla/Leia/Elise (aka you can't lose even if you try) or ones where you have to rely on items like Jude/Milla/Alvin (though I actually didn't have much trouble with that boss).

@Cisce if you already think the story fell apart, you're gonna hate it later on. I thought the story was great until Act 3. Although Act 3's story is almost completely different, so maybe you'll like it?

RangerBAD

Did anyone else hate tales of graces battle system? I still haven't finished the game its not gripping me at all tbh

I'm a tales fan definitely with symphonia and abyss being by faves with eternia being really close (finished it 4 times lol) just with graces....nah can't do it :S whats Xillia' battle system like compared to graces?

Graces battle system is pretty awesome. I don't remember Xillia's system getting higher praise than Grace's in that department.

So xilia players, I have been a tales fan since the original ps1 release. Tales of graces f was the first game I played co op, with my wife. We got about half way through when the story and characters just wore us down. Does xilia have better story/characters? Is the combat maybe less complicated? My wife wasn't a big fan of that either. She is a relatively new rpg gamer...... costume quest was her first. What say you gaf?
The story in xillia is clearly the good point of the game. but you need to see Both paths to understand properly everything.

Ludger having a voice would've made the relationship with Elle that much better. Sadly, this isn't the case. =/
True it's so striking because elle has a strong personality and she is there in the middle of the cast interracting with everyone ... they try the same with ludger and.... it doesn't work.
Story is great, better ( more balanced ) battle system with more option to cancel&dual skill , more characters ( after playing xillia 1 , you'll want to play as those characters ) and a Superb chunk of back story on everyone ... Also choices , choices !!!
Also screenshot option.

Does Xillia 2 have more side quests?

There is a lot of sidequests in xillia 2 , however not all of them are intresting.
i'd say xillia 1 has more sidequest that are intresting but xillia 1 while having less of them still has more intresting sidequest and character quest to do.

Jude's a pretty good healer, though!

Jude was a much better healer in xillia 1.

Jubern

The story in xillia is clearly the good point of the game. but you need to see Both paths to understand properly everything.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Playing only Jude is good enough IMO. However, Milla is a tad more confusing, you definitely need to play Jude after her.

Saiyan-Rox

Graces battle system is pretty awesome. I don't remember Xillia's system getting higher praise than Grace's in that department.

Idk man I just can't get to grips with it half the time I feel like I'm just mindlessly bashing the buttons in hope I win lol I don't feel in control but that's just me i guess :S

Idk man I just can't get to grips with it half the time I feel like I'm just mindlessly bashing the buttons in hope I win lol I don't feel in control but that's just me i guess :S

It is a proud stallion, you must dominate it while respecting and working with it. Or something. :p

Think Fighting games.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Playing only Jude is good enough IMO. However, Milla is a tad more confusing, you definitely need to play Jude after her.

I disagree .. some event flow much better if you've seen both paths .. And mila does have some excellent scenes like the split in ACT1 in the prison.

For me seeing both paths means to get everything properly.

The point of view of the spirits in ACT4 was also a nice touch . While jude path is required , i feel that mila path is as important to see than jude ... The character get much more complex in their motivations once you see both sides and not just jude path.

OnFire331

I hope the surprise announcement on the 6th is Xillia 2. But I find it hard to believe they'll announce the sequel when the first one isn't out yet.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's definitely more mashy in Graces, but you can do some really cool stuff if you plan out combos.
Just depends on how you play it.
Is it really that hard to believe when they sort of did the same for Xillia 1?

Also https://twitter.com/kayos90/status/352794480207867904
No one's going to bet against the obvious.

Proven

Woah, there's actually a community thread now? I really thought it'd never happen.

I never got around to asking this before, but we're still at zero rumors towards the next mainline Tales release, right? I don't expect anything to come out before late 2014/2015 but I've recently gotten curious. I'd be surprised if there was even a trailer shown at TGS this year.

solid mike

Xillia will be my first Tales game when it comes out. I'm really hoping I won't be disappointed because FFXIII left a bad aftertaste.

Bladenic

Woah, there's actually a community thread now? I really thought it'd never happen.

I never got around to asking this before, but we're still at zero rumors towards the next mainline Tales release, right? I don't expect anything to come out before late 2014/2015 but I've recently gotten curious. I'd be surprised if there was even a trailer shown at TGS this year.

The next Tales game will probably be announced at the end of the year with a mid 2014 release date.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm definitely expecting one more PS3 Tales as well with a US localization not too far behind.
Then I'm predicting the next to be a PS4 title where they'll try to do something like Vesperia and try to have a fast localization.

Rpgmonkey

The next Tales game will probably be announced at the end of the year with a mid 2014 release date.

That would match up with the current cycle for announcements of mothership Tales games (alternating between Spring/Summer and December, with the exception of Hearts), so it's possible.

Bladenic

Did chapter 12 in Xillia 2. Soooo FUCKING good. It would be my luck that a localization announcement would happen after I imported, but whatever, I'll double dip.

Top Bottom