• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Gartooth

During battles in Vesperia PS3 my partners sometimes have some text and the button R3 floating above their health bars. Anyone know what this does?

Layell

Since there is no longer a PS3 in my house I've been playing Vesperia on 360 again and am setting up a new run, ideally with all skills 1sp and maybe this time I'll do all the secret missions. As I'm getting all items and skills with my level 200 file I got Rita's Leviathan skill and I have never had so much fun wow it might be the most fun skill. The skit that comes with it is fantastic too.

FSLink

Banned
That was the one where you had to hit him while he was in a weakened state with one of Raven's artes right? That was actually pretty easy for me.

Maybe because I was playing it on Hard, but it took a bit of setup to Guard Break Yeager enough to let Raven do Rain. It's not that difficult, it's just stupid and almost nobody will figure it out by themselves. The other one, you can just use Wolf Strike or an equivalent near the edge and he'll fall off pretty easily, especially since Zagi likes using Cyclone Shot/Victory Light Spear to get himself in the air already.

I'd like to see the series expand on Secret Missions a bit, maybe just add more environmental stuff in battles to interact with, without tying specific sidequests to it...or at least give the player a boss rush mode so you can do any Secret Missions you've missed.

Gartooth

Playing Vesperia again after so long makes me, for lack of a better word appreciate Xillia's trimming on some of the game's subsystems. For instance, I never really cared for cooking as it became overly complex on who is good at making what, how to get new recipes, etc. Also never liked having to use a magnifying glass in the middle of a battle just to gain an enemy's stats.

FSLink

Banned
Playing Vesperia again after so long makes me, for lack of a better word appreciate Xillia's trimming on some of the game's subsystems. For instance, I never really cared for cooking as it became overly complex on who is good at making what, how to get new recipes, etc. Also never liked having to use a magnifying glass in the middle of a battle just to gain an enemy's stats.

They should have just taken Destiny/Graces' way of cooking though and made them interesting systems that integrate well into battles instead of just dumb items. I did like the effects they did in Xillia 1 and 2, but cooking is just downgraded to glorified items.

Magic Lens have been gone for awhile from the Destiny/Hearts developed games, but Vesperia and the spinoff games still used them.

Yeager's secret mission is the biggest amount of crap in any Tales game I've ever played. Even when I knew how to do it getting the scene still took multiple tries. The only consistent way I could get it was ol -> destruction field til he yelled -> switch to raven and shoot and hope I was fast enough.

FSLink

Banned
Yeager's secret mission is the biggest amount of crap in any Tales game I've ever played. Even when I knew how to do it getting the scene still took multiple tries. The only consistent way I could get it was ol -> destruction field til he yelled -> switch to raven and shoot and hope I was fast enough.

The best part was the first time I ended up doing it correctly, but then ended up losing the fight due to the AI liking to target the player controlled character first on Hard mode.

...yeah I lowered the difficulty to redo it. Fuck that shit.

Other Tales related, I have Tales of Hearts' OP stuck in my head. Almost makes me want to get Tales of Hearts R. Almost.

Young Magus

The best part was the first time I ended up doing it correctly, but then ended up losing the fight due to the AI liking to target the player controlled character first on Hard mode.

...yeah I lowered the difficulty to redo it. Fuck that shit.

Other Tales related, I have Tales of Hearts' OP stuck in my head. Almost makes me want to get Tales of Hearts R. Almost.

I really, really wish that translation patch for the ds version gets released soon.

It's weird how Tales of Innocence R got a new theme song while Tales of Hearts R didn't.

Though I guess Namco got lazy in buying a new song.

FSLink

Banned
It's weird how Tales of Innocence R got a new theme song while Tales of Hearts R didn't.

Though I guess Namco got lazy in buying a new song.

The original is an awesome song (DEEN~), but I wish they gave it some new animation instead of just awkwardly letterboxing it on the Vita.

Joke option: Have it side by side with the CGI opening to fill up the empty space~

Gartooth

Wow should have known this would be a problem. Completely forgot about the spelling puzzle in ToV at Caer Bocram. Knew what I had to spell so I translated
"sun"
from english to japanese but I still had no idea how to use the PS3 keyboard to get the word. Finally did some searching and found out how to do it after a while.

Layell

I'm not sure how anyone can say Xillia trimmed the fat when the Lillium Orb system can take a huge amount of time if you want to go manual and forget what sort of things you are gunning for.

Vesperia's cooking system is good aside from the fact I seem to run out of ingredients really quickly that wasn't much fun. It really is a blast that Tales games have the sense to switch around mechanics. That said give me some Eleth Mixer books from Graces in every game and I'd be very happy.

demidar

I'm not sure how anyone can say Xillia trimmed the fat when the Lillium Orb system can take a huge amount of time if you want to go manual and forget what sort of things you are gunning for.

Vesperia's cooking system is good aside from the fact I seem to run out of ingredients really quickly that wasn't much fun. It really is a blast that Tales games have the sense to switch around mechanics. That said give me some Eleth Mixer books from Graces in every game and I'd be very happy.

I loved the Eleth Mixer, I just want it to branch out further than just food effects and book effects. Not sure how but that mechanic is begging to be explored.

I'll tell you what should be a permanent fixture, Narikiri dolls.

Eh? I was never sure why people were so fond of the Eleth Mixer. I found it be kind of un-extraordinary

But anyway,

A Zelos pillow. Good god

http://tokrin.com/archives/50831920.html

Eleth mixer is great because you can set it and forget it basically. It can give you a free treat or free life bottle in battle, get more materialize for dualizing without having to grind in old areas, and could give you constant buffs or extra rewards. Recharging your Eleth is also really cheap and is quick to set up and switch. Past tales games with traditional cooking it cost a small fortune to have enough ingredients to cook after every battle, and in some games you had to go to the menu every time you wanted to cook. It slowed things down especially in multiplayer games.

That's also why I like xillia's food system, it's pretty cheap and you only have to open the menu after x number of battles. The game also makes it very clear when it's time to re eat with all the "I'm so hungry" shenanigans in case you missed the 0 battles left message.

demidar

This may just be my excessive laziness show through, but I can't be bothered opening the menu and navigating to the food menu and selecting the food I want to eat and going that every few fights.

Red Mage

I loved the Eleth Mixer, I just want it to branch out further than just food effects and book effects. Not sure how but that mechanic is begging to be explored.

I'm still trying to max that thing out for my first platinum trophy. >_<

Flamfas

Ahh, there are so many different games with different mechanics that I got confused. I thought we were talking about DUALIZING. But yeah, Eleth Mixer is pretty cool, though maybe I'm just not as impressed because I had played ToDR and ToH before hand, and the food sack/heal stone was also pretty handy.

Ahh, there are so many different games with different mechanics that I got confused. I thought we were talking about DUALIZING. But yeah, Eleth Mixer is pretty cool, though maybe I'm just not as impressed because I had played ToDR and ToH before hand, and the food sack/heal stone was also pretty handy.

Dualizing is an OCD person's nightmare you have to keep multiples of everything including weapons because you never know what you'll find next that could lead to all kinds of dualizing

Flamfas

Dualizing is an OCD person's nightmare you have to keep multiples of everything including weapons because you never know what you'll find next that could lead to all kinds of dualizing

SOMEONE ELSE THAT UNDERSTANDS

Yeah, that really annoyed me. I can somehow manage in Persona/SMT being able to fuse every persona/demon, but dualizing was just too much for me.

Dualizing was pretty cool but it definitely did bring the OCD out of me.

Keeping tabs of how many I have of each item and pretty much lead to me almost never selling anything since I was worried I would have to use them again. And the quests that required making new items, oh gawd.

Bladenic

But Dualizing is awesome :p

Kasumin

Why Narikiri dolls didn't become a thing in every Tales game after Tales of Destiny R is beyond me. They're amazing. I don't even care if I have to grind stupid amounts of items for them. They're worth it.

The Eleth Mixer is one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen in an RPG. I was floored multiple times by some new trick of functionality learning that thing.

Seda

Was listening to Tales music earlier today. I have decided that I much prefer the English ToS opening over the other two. PS2 opening my least favorite of the three.

My reasoning is that I feel guitar/electronic parts of the Japanese opening music doesn't gel with the rest of the game's OST.

/random

Soriku

Was listening to Tales music earlier today. I have decided that I much prefer the English ToS opening over the other two. PS2 opening my least favorite of the three.

My reasoning is that I feel guitar/electronic parts of the Japanese opening music doesn't gel with the rest of the game's OST.

/random

None of the OP songs really gel with the games' OSTs. Starry Heavens is the best ToS opening IMO.

Fisico

I think we were talking earlier about what was Alfa System doing.
At the Sony conference Phantasy Star Nova was announced, after the episodes on PSP I assumed Alfa would be the developer, but nope it's Tri-Ace.

Alfa is currently working on Over my Dead Body 2, there was an anime trailer a few days ago but still no in-game footage.
It shouldn't be that big of a project, so, just like in the PSP years they should have two teams working on two differents projects.

We now know the second project is most likely not Phantasy Star related

I think we were talking earlier about what was Alfa System doing.
At the Sony conference Phantasy Star Nova was announced, after the episodes on PSP I assumed Alfa would be the developer, but nope it's Tri-Ace.

Alfa is currently working on Over my Dead Body 2, there was an anime trailer a few days ago but still no in-game footage.
It shouldn't be that big of a project, so, just like in the PSP years they should have two teams working on two differents projects.

We now know the second project is most likely not Phantasy Star related

Radiant Mythology 4 please!

/random

None of the OP songs really gel with the games' OSTs. Starry Heavens is the best ToS opening IMO.

I'm pretty much the opposite to both in a way, PS2 is my fave and I think that Starry Heavens is abysmal shit.

FSLink

Banned
I prefer GC JP OP > PS2 OP > GC English OP

Though I do think the GC English OP is the best English opening of the entire series outside of maaaybe US Abyss's OP. I wasn't too big of a fan of the Engrish Ring a Bell or Radiant Mythology's instrumental OPs.

Fisico

The website of Tales of BIbliotheca just opened, it's iOS only guys so please do not be excited.

The genre of the game is described as "Scenario Book and Battle", 1st episode seems to be free afterwards it's 170yens/each or 1700yens for 11.
For now it only seems to cover Vesperia's plot, most likely they will do the same for others episodes later

Bladenic

So much better than expected. Hope Namco is (finally) happy. Although I also hope Xillia isn't another fluke like Symphonia. Here's hoping ToSC and Xillia 2 sell well!

Top Bottom