• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Bladenic

The only thing about Tempest R is that it couldn't simply be a straight port with some new characters and a few additions and battle system alterations. It would literally have to be completely made from scratch, or at least very significantly expanded. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get made since ToH and I R sold like shit (although maybe their sales weren't that bad for the vita back then? Idk).

Plus they'd remove the only halfway decent thing about the game: the three line battle system.

The only thing about Tempest R is that it couldn't simply be a straight port with some new characters and a few additions and battle system alterations. It would literally have to be completely made from scratch, or at least very significantly expanded. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get made since ToH and I R sold like shit (although maybe their sales weren't that bad for the vita back then? Idk).

Plus they'd remove the only halfway decent thing about the game: the three line battle system.

Just give Tempest a Graces f style extra story

Fisico

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get made since ToH and I R sold like shit (although maybe their sales weren't that bad for the vita back then? Idk).

Famitsu Top 500 2012

122 [PSV] Tales of Innocence R <RPG> - 2012/01/26
85 616 (LTD) 54 853 (FW)

Famitsu Top 100 1st Semester 2013

61. [PSV] Tales of Hearts R <RPG> - 2013/03/07
70.066 (LTD) 55,258 (FW)

Innocence R maybe had an excuse of being on a launch period, Hearts R didn't and it sold the exact same amount of copies.
It just shows that no one care about those remakes in Japan

Flamfas

Do those numbers include digital sales? I was under the impression Vita games have significant digital sales in Japan. I didn't realize Hearts R sold less than Innocence R though, wow

Do those numbers include digital sales? I was under the impression Vita games have significant digital sales in Japan. I didn't realize Hearts R sold less than Innocence R though, wow

Innocence r looked like an actual improvement of Innocence, hearts r looked like a bastardization of the original hearts.

Fisico

No it doesn't, that's why we have topics like these popping up here and there.

But including digital sales won't make it a big success anyway, the ratio vary between 1/10th and 1/3rd of retail sales, but for titles like Tales I'd say it's closer to the former than the latter.

And Hearts R didn't sell less than Innocence, it's tracking the exact same numbers for now, we have to wait for the top 500 Famitsu of 2013 but it will most likely end up around ~80-90k too.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What is the big problem of Tempest by the way? The hate for this seems to go beyond the usual level.
I've only played about half an hour of it so far, so I didn't notice anything special.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because it's co-developed by Dimps. Dimps sucks and has a tendency to ruin a lot of games because of their inept programming and tendency to forget what the original IP is like so they end up churning out the most mediocre thing they can because they're Dimps and they're helpless unless the person they're co-developing with are capable people.

...I don't like Dimps.

In all seriousness, the game was incredibly blase. The real draw of the game was supposed to be its 3D version of the 3L-LMBS (Rebirth's battle system) but Dimps couldn't even get that right.

The game's too easy. The game's essentially structured as a "let's go from this village to that village to that village for these cutscenes" sort of affair (because the game does rely on cutscenes a lot), the dungeons are barely worth mentioning, the game is like 15 hours long (and the only reason why it's that long is because there is no sense of quicker travel in the game so you're busy trudging back and forth ever so slowly), there's little puzzles in this game (which is something I'd liked about Tales games when I played Tempest), everything about the game just feels so unengaging from the script to the battles to the villages to the characters to how it looks to the sidequests even. The day/night cycle just doesn't even seem to matter at times. The world that the devs attempted to craft in Tempest is lifeless, and that isn't helped by the predictable script or the bland characters.

For a game that seems to focus so much on battles because of the encounter rate, it's incredibly obnoxious that the game is so easy. Even newcomers to Tales would find the game easy. The regular bosses themselves feel like regular enemies because there isn't much to their battles. The final boss is a complete joke. Dimps completely missed the point with the battle system in the first place. Instead of making the 3L-LMBS in 3D in the 3-on-3 battle system something to completely take advantage of and switch lines in 3D for strategic advantages, you're busy getting rid of enemies so quickly to even think of doing that. It's poor balancing and poorly-thought-out. You're essentially supposed to use the lines to back-attack the enemies. Either use the stylus to mindlessly regularly attack the enemy and easily win, or switch between the stylus and buttons to combo and easily win. I'm left-handed, so switching between the stylus and buttons isn't as cumbersome as it would be for a righty, but even then, it's kind of bonkers that it wasn't just limited to button input. Not to mention that the battle options feel so gimped compared to Innocence and Hearts.

The story's incredibly predictable (ie: it's all about racism, and every twist and turn is incredibly predictable because there is little to no effort to hide anything (ie: plot revelations, Arria, etc)) and it has that tendency that Rebirth did to beat the racism topic into the ground. The cast is very weak and lack development. Everything about the narrative and cast is so uninteresting, and the game doesn't do much to try to draw you in to appreciate them in any way. They're just there, and when they do something, you already knew they were going to do it because the game and its script lacks subtlety more than the average Tales game.

Essentially, Tempest's problem is that it's dull, it's essentially Cutscenes: The Game Mixed with Battles That Are Mindnumbingly Easy for most of your playthrough, and manages to be much lesser than the game it's trying to follow from (Rebirth). Even if Rebirth's narrative is downright crap and among the worst narratives in the genre, the character interactions and battle system redeem it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks for the explanation. Since it's only 15 hours, I might try it myself when I don't have any other Tales games to catch up on anymore, especially since I already own it anyway.

Fisico

There's an english patch too.
It's worth mentioning that the game is freaking damn ugly most of the time and lack any sort of voice over outside of battles.

Random encounter was also sort of a letdown on the worldmap, even annoying because sometimes it's not that easy to find the next place to go (urg the desert)

Red Mage

Would Innocence R be worth importing, do you guys think? I don't understand a lick of a Japanese, so how hard would it be to navigate using a script and menu guide?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I played through Innocence R without any knowledge of Japanese and had a lot of fun. If you've played a Tales game before you should be fine, since you'll know the important items by their icon and can easily recognize what the important menus do.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I forgot to ask back in the day when I played through it so I may as well ask now (about the ps3 version of Vesperia):
1. What does the party say before/after they encounter Spiral Draco at the end of the garden of Izayoi and when they meet him? More context on the story behind that place would be cool too. Something about all the other children of the full moon before Estelle...

The more details the better, thanks!

Gartooth

Considering buying Vesperia PS3 after I'm done with Xillia. I've already played the 360 version of that game, but it's been a while. Is there anything I should keep in mind with playing it? (this will probably be the first game I ever import)

Seda

Considering buying Vesperia PS3 after I'm done with Xillia. I've already played the 360 version of that game, but it's been a while. Is there anything I should keep in mind with playing it? (this will probably be the first game I ever import)

I know no Japanese at all. I played Tales of Vesperia on PS3 after completing the 360 version a few times. I had no issues, sometimes it took me a minute to realize who I was supposed to talk to to continue the story or something but nothing significant to mention in terms of things to keep in mind.

Gartooth

I know no Japanese at all. I played Tales of Vesperia on PS3 after completing the 360 version a few times. I had no issues, sometimes it took me a minute to realize who I was supposed to talk to to continue the story or something but nothing significant to mention in terms of things to keep in mind.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like I will probably be able to get around it just fine if I fiddle with things in menus and the like. I might consider using a translation guide though for the new content.

Seda

Thanks for the response. Sounds like I will probably be able to get around it just fine if I fiddle with things in menus and the like. I might consider using a translation guide though for the new content.

I guess one to mention is that loading times and framerates were not as good as the 360 version, so if you encounter issues things it's seemingly normal.

Flamfas

You'll probably want to use a translation guide for the skills menu, which you can probably find many places, but I know the Aselia wiki has one.

Otherwise, should be pretty easy to handle.

Seda

You'll probably want to use a translation guide for the skills menu, which you can probably find many places, but I know the Aselia wiki has one.

Otherwise, should be pretty easy to handle.

Oh yes, Aselia wiki is quite useful for skills and such, it has both English and Japanese characters so it's easy to use.

Flamfas

not sure if I'm allowed to link since it might be considered a legal grey area,

but there's a fandub floating around for the first episode of the Eternia anime

Keele's voice is awful but the rest are decent for a fandub

Finally beat Xillia on Jude's story, really loved the ending and can't wait for Xillia 2 next year. I don't want to knee jerk and while no Tales game bar Legendia has made me rage at a scene as much as Xillia, I think Xillia might be the best overall game in the series. I'll have to sleep on it and really think hard between Vesperia and Xillia.

PKrockin

Finally beat Xillia on Jude's story, really loved the ending and can't wait for Xillia 2 next year. I don't want to knee jerk and while no Tales game bar Legendia has made me rage at a scene as much as Xillia, I think Xillia might be the best overall game in the series. I'll have to sleep on it and really think hard between Vesperia and Xillia.

I'm partway through Chapter 4 at the moment and I feel the same way. Jude isn't nearly as bad as people made him out to be. There's one absolutely awful scene, but I'll take an otherwise okay protagonist with one rage-inducing 15 minute scene over a protagonist that drags the game down throughout the entire story.

MechaX

I'm finishing up all the Jude side quest stuff and I think I may be getting a little bored of Xillia, so I don't think I'll jump into the Milla side immediately.

But I'm still in the mood to play a Tales game, English or Japanese. I'm probably going to choose between Destiny Remake (I got really far in the game, but it's been years since I've played it), Rebirth, or Eternia. I have been out of a loop, but what is the progress on Destiny or Rebirth translations (whether script or patches) as of late?

Fisico

As with every translation project it's kinda hard to give you a proper number like "80% done" or some schedule for a release, but here it is for Tales of Rebirth, as for Destiny Remake they don't seem to progress as "fast" as Rebirth.

You can browse the websites on the links I put above if you want to have a better idea of their progress.

EDIT : woops Gaf is blocking the first link, it's got something like Alter then Vista in the url if someone want to see anyway
And here is the progress bar Stormyu posted last month

cfm8uwpgikmnsibzh.jpg

Rebirth will probably have an Italian patch out by the end of the year, I expect their English patch to be done in 2014. Destiny remake directors cut I don't expect til 2015 at the earliest

Flamfas

Another group could start and finish Destiny before we see PP's patch. Throughhim is surely translating at a reasonable pace but cless will drag them through the mud and take forever with everything else

If you know a willing Japanese to English translator for Rebirth, let me or someone on the team know, because the team needs a dedicated one

Another group could start and finish Destiny before we see PP's patch. Throughhim is surely translating at a reasonable pace but cless will drag them through the mud and take forever with everything else

If you know a willing Japanese to English translator for Rebirth, let me or someone on the team know, because the team needs a dedicated one

It'd probably be easier for me to learn Japanese then find someone with the free time and dedication to help on a fan translation lol.

Bladenic

I'm finishing up all the Jude side quest stuff and I think I may be getting a little bored of Xillia, so I don't think I'll jump into the Milla side immediately.

But I'm still in the mood to play a Tales game, English or Japanese. I'm probably going to choose between Destiny Remake (I got really far in the game, but it's been years since I've played it), Rebirth, or Eternia. I have been out of a loop, but what is the progress on Destiny or Rebirth translations (whether script or patches) as of late?

You'll be waiting a while. IMO play Rebirth. It's one of my favorites for the battle system alone. Also check out lanyn's YouTube channel. She's done an entire translation playthrough of Rebirth with all story scenes translated. She also put up videos explaining details about the battle system, so you'd be set.

Thorgal

do we know or have any predictions when Xillia 2 will be out in the west ?

my fingers are crossed for a spring 2014 release.

Bladenic

I have a feeling ToSC will be spring, and ToX2 will be August, like Xillia this year

Sounds about right.

I wonder if they'll bother including an alternative way to unlock Ludger and ToV costumes for NA players or not. Probably not. Lol multiple playthroughs

Ultratech

Yeah, that's likely.

But they've said they are gonna push out a Menu Patch before doing the entire story, so there's that to look forward to.
(If I had to guess, that'd probably be out sometime next year although they had a demonstration Menu Patch they were playing with about a year or two back ago that had bugs.)

Flamfas

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdYjkfPGHk

Interview with Matt Mercer. Haven't watched the whole thing yet but it is good and funny. ^.^

36 minute mark he says he has finished recording for his role in Xillia 2.

Yup, they definitely didn't wait for Xillia to release to start on this game (not that I expected them to, but that's what they were saying)

Fisico

Good thing, they have most likely translated and dubbed the two games in a row to be more efficient.

It means that the game will be ready for release anytime in 2014, but with what we said before it doesn't really change a thing about its release window.

Flamfas

Yeah they'll probably still space it out to avoid competing with themselves (ToSC), but this does pretty much confirm my and others' suspicion that they started X2 at least a while before Xillia hit. That's good news to me, they seem very dedicated to bringing us these games

Yeah they'll probably still space it out to avoid competing with themselves (ToSC), but this does pretty much confirm my and others' suspicion that they started X2 at least a while before Xillia hit. That's good news to me, they seem very dedicated to bringing us these games

Do we have a us release date for ToSC?

Flamfas

"Early 2014."

But I think it will release here before Xillia 2 because

1. It was announced first

2. There was WAY less translation to do with that game (even with X2 voicing done, who knows if they're done translating into French, German, etc)

3. I think it makes more sense to lure newcomers to buy ToSC while waiting for ToX2 rather than give them ToX2 then try to get them to buy an older game.

All that makes sense, I just was wondering if the plan is to release xillia 2 first to keep its moment then release symphonia HD later in the year when the xillia titles are finished

Bladenic

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdYjkfPGHk

Interview with Matt Mercer. Haven't watched the whole thing yet but it is good and funny. ^.^

36 minute mark he says he has finished recording for his role in Xillia 2.

Yup, they definitely didn't wait for Xillia to release to start on this game (not that I expected them to, but that's what they were saying)

Wow that's really crazy and interesting if they already finished Xillia 2. Perhaps he finished but the whole project isn't done (although he says "we"). Regardless I still don't expect Xillia 2 before Summer 2014. Hopefully earlier than August but I wouldn't be surprised if it was August.

Wonder who they got for Ludger and Elle. I fully expect the Xillia cast back fully. Hope they fixed Minae Noji's mic this time haha.

Top Bottom