• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Wow should have known this would be a problem. Completely forgot about the spelling puzzle in ToV at Caer Bocram. Knew what I had to spell so I translated
"sun"
from english to japanese but I still had no idea how to use the PS3 keyboard to get the word. Finally did some searching and found out how to do it after a while.

Excuse me, can you explain how? I've ordered ToV PS3 now too and want to know if it's anything special, like setting the PS3's native language to Japanese. I have pretty good experience with Hiragana and Katakana so I know how to type them on a computer, but if the software keyboard needs it in Kanji or something it could get tricky.

Also, does anyone have instructions on how to get the Japanese DLC to work, how I can get it, and maybe a translated list of it all, I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

Rhapsody

Banned
Excuse me, can you explain how? I've ordered ToV PS3 now too and want to know if it's anything special, like setting the PS3's native language to Japanese. I have pretty good experience with Hiragana and Katakana so I know how to type them on a computer, but if the software keyboard needs it in Kanji or something it could get tricky.

Also, does anyone have instructions on how to get the Japanese DLC to work, how I can get it, and maybe a translated list of it all, I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.
It's nothing special. Just type taiyou in hiragana.

Japanese DLC just requires a PSN account in that region, and there are steps to do that online. Then just find a site that sells Japanese PSN codes.
After buying them, it'll work on any account that's registered on your PS3, so you don't have to keep playing on that Japanese account.

It's nothing special. Just type taiyou in hiragana.

Japanese DLC just requires a PSN account in that region, and there are steps to do that online. Then just find a site that sells Japanese PSN codes.
After buying them, it'll work on any account that's registered on your PS3, so you don't have to keep playing on that Japanese account.

Thanks, I heard that if I make a Hong Kong account some of the DLC is free? Do you think that's worth it? Also, is the JP PSN hard to navigate? I have around 3 years of on and off Japanese experience, and am trying to potentially double major in it for college, which is one of the reasons I'm double dipping for Vesperia. But I don't have much experience at all with Kanji and my vocabulary in general could use work so I don't expect to understand much, just soak in the dialect.

Edit: Oh, this is completely unrelated, but is ToP: Narikiri Dungeon X a good sequel/spinoff? I've been trying to get into Tales of Phantasia for a while, and was maybe planning on doing ToS and ToS:DotNW again on the HD Collection, then ToP PSX fan translation. Is ToP:NDX worth playing to end the saga?

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks, I heard that if I make a Hong Kong account some of the DLC is free? Do you think that's worth it? Also, is the JP PSN hard to navigate? I have around 3 years of on and off Japanese experience, and am trying to potentially double major in it for college, which is one of the reasons I'm double dipping for Vesperia. But I don't have much experience at all with Kanji and my vocabulary in general could use work so I don't expect to understand much, just soak in the dialect.

Both the HK and JPN PSN have the same free DLC. During the game's release, HK PSN did have the Abyss costumes (without the colored hair) for free but only for a limited time. You can still make one if you want. It's easy since the HK PSN can be set as english.

And the text itself isn't hard to navigate for the JP PSN store. There's a lot of katakana so you'll know where to go.

I've only played the demo of NDX, so I can't say much on that. All I've heard were good things though.

ToP: Narikiri Dungeon X is very fun to play.

I really like the class system and the battle system is pretty fun with its own form of whatever you call it. I guess you can say I'm just biased cause it has a class system.

It also has the best version of ToP cause no spell freeze.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gonna add to the NDX love in here. Class systems should be implemented in the mainline titles since they did such a good job with it in that one. I loved how that game looked, too.

Was Keroro RPG good?
Yeah, I thought it was decent, but again, it's fashioned after Hearts. It took a lot of the nice stuff from the Sgt. Frog anime, and used the Tales of Hearts engine to facilitate it. With that said, it's better to have some Sgt. Frog background before attempting to play the game otherwise some of the personality traits (ex: Tamama having a crazy alterego) might not make sense to you. Basically, Keroro starts playing a game, and monsters come into the real-world, and he wants to stop it so he won't have to clean the toilet. There are a lot of other references to other RPGs, too (or at least the genre in general). The story's nice.

Battles use the Command Counter, where attacks and artes a few points on the CC. There's a sidequest card game called KeroCa! that feels like the Pokemon TCG. There's cooking like usual, coliseum fights, and some neat stuff. There's an EX dungeon, too.

And the spritework was really well-done. I liked the game for what it was.

NDX is probably my favorite non-mainline game. It's so good.

Really, that's good to hear. So the plot actually goes somewhere? I sort of thought of ToP:NDX as being to ToP as ToS:DotNW was to ToS, no offense to those who liked it. But I couldn't quite justify some of the choices they made in making Dawn of the New World, and felt the story didn't really need to be told, so I quit after another failed attempt to capture a monster in the Shadow Temple I think. So I take it the story in NDX is actually worth experiencing though? (I do plan on giving DotNW another shot with the HD collection like I said before though.)

Also, woah! There are two more Narikiri Dungeon games? In the Tales of the World spinoff series? Huh? It doesn't look like they are actually official sequels, just cameo games right? I'm not missing anything by skipping them?

Finally, would it spoil anything for me to ask if ToP ever explains Dhaos/Derris Kharlan's connections to Cruxis or Aselia, or is it just left to the fans to speculate. I know of course ToP came first, but it could have left hints that could lead one to believe Dhaos and his people were maybe descended from any angels potentially left on Derris Kharlan. Again, if there is anything substantial, I guess don't tell me directly, but I'd like to know if there isn't.

Oh, one last thing. I got to the Nia Khera Harrowmont's big portal thing in Xillia, and it says I "may not be able to return", does that mean I should hunt down the fell arms, do sidequests, etc. before I proceed or is it just exaggerating the finality of the situation?

Thanks!

Fisico

Also, woah! There are two more Narikiri Dungeon games? In the Tales of the World spinoff series? Huh? It doesn't look like they are actually official sequels, just cameo games right? I'm not missing anything by skipping them?

Plotwise you won't miss anything, the third Narikri Dungeon has a fairly good reputation though and lots of characters (not as much as the last Radiant Mythology but still)

Finally, would it spoil anything for me to ask if ToP ever explains Dhaos/Derris Kharlan's connections to Cruxis or Aselia, or is it just left to the fans to speculate. I know of course ToP came first, but it could have left hints that could lead one to believe Dhaos and his people were maybe descended from any angels potentially left on Derris Kharlan. Again, if there is anything substantial, I guess don't tell me directly, but I'd like to know if there isn't.

My memory is kinda blurry on that one and I don't think that this is explicitely stated but there are a lots of hints which kinda point in that sense, so you can consider Dhaos and his people to be indeed from Derris Kharlan (I even read some crazy theories like Kratos = Dhaos but this is stretching it way too far)

It's time to stop putting it off, I just booted up Tales of the Tempest. I'll be posting my impressions and such here as I play, so feel free to join my descent into madness adventure into the first DS Tales game.

Initial thoughts before I even play the game, WOW was this OP lazy as hell. I'd say about 75% of it was in game character models which okay it was early in the DS life... but chunks of the OP are straight up copy/paste gameplay not of battle but of the main character just walking around. I was shocked about half way though when they showed random anime segments. Did they just not have the time to do a full animated opening? Putting the anime scenes there just makes the in game stuff look even worse. Heck if you want to make an OP with in game stuff just make it in game combat with characters doing combos and stuff, not the character BLOODY WALKING!

So I thought Caius was kind of popular? Yet he has borderline no personality so far, he's about as generic a JRPG protagonist as I can think of so far. Rubia has more personality and she's super generic as well. Church is grade A jerks but at least they didn't completely raze the main characters home town so color me impressed. Calling it now the reason Caius doesn't have a symbol of the transforming race is that he's a half breed though I'm sure he'll get the power eventually.

Combat is alright so far, what I need to figure out is how to put the game on manual because semi auto is frustrating me. I like the idea of being able to jump between lines and attack between lines. It allows me to move around battle as I like without feeling completely over powered like free running. Rubia doesn't seem to do much in battles besides nuke from afar with fire ball which is okay as my health has never been low. Going to crank the game up to hard once I get access to manual cause I'm plowing though things on normal.

The fact you can't rotate the camera when walking around the world map is mind boggling, you can play the entire game with the touch screen which is a nice touch though I imagine will be useless when the game gets more hectic. Is this the only Tales game where attacking does not restore your TP? Not that I've run out of TP in combat I'm more worried about the AI later on. Moving around the menu is also clunky which boggles my mind, how on earth do you botch a menu?

About to enter the second village, lets see what happens next

FSLink

Banned
I like the idea of being able to jump between lines and attack between lines. It allows me to move around battle as I like without feeling completely over powered like free running.

Is this the only Tales game where attacking does not restore your TP? Not that I've run out of TP in combat I'm more worried about the AI later on.
You can infinite the enemy if you're positioned right with your allies, so it's pretty overpowered and not proper like Rebirth's.

I believe Phantasia through Eternia didn't recover TP while attacking, everything afterwords should aside from Tempest and possibly a few side games.

You can infinite the enemy if you're positioned right with your allies, so it's pretty overpowered and not proper like Rebirth's.

I believe Phantasia through Eternia didn't recover TP while attacking, everything afterwords should aside from Tempest and possibly a few side games.

I believe Eternia did, but I haven't played it in awhile

So I went into the dark woods and met Tilkis and Forest, the idea of a 3 party system falls apart when 2 characters join your party at the same time and kick out the healer without warning -.- Tilkis and Forest just seem like more melee characters I'm not even sure what to do with them. Thankfully they too have next to no personality so it's not hard to just pick whoever I want in the party.

The gameplay engine also falls apart when there is more then 2 enemies at a time. It's so easy to get smacked around by enemies with no indication of where you got him from. The fact you don't have a lot of options to quickly move around the battle field makes dodging attacks annoying as well. I know the AI could do it on semi auto but I can't for the life of me figure out how to back step on manual.

Also the boss? Treant thing in the woods was ridiculous. Tilkis wiped 3 times and I did nearly twice, I was wondering why Rubia was never casting first aid and only nurse during that fight. I had been setting characters artes because I like to try everyone in Tales games... I didn't realize even the AI was limited to the 4 artes you set them with. Seriously WTF is that nonsense? It pretty much screws Rubia into being a one trick pony, especially with how expensive healing items are (and the invisible timer that prevents you from using another)

Also the AI is fucking dumb, like I've seen both Forest and Tilkis just comboing the air, Rubia with full TP running forward to melee when people were low on health, the few battles I didn't play Caius his AI just had him running around between planes attacking no one. Seriously it's like the more I play the more problems this game has.

Bladenic

So, random thought, who are your favorite spell casters in the series? I think even without looking at specific gameplay mechanics, Rita still comes out as the best due to her repertoire and skill list. My favorites would be her, Malik, Rowen, and Mao (Hilda is awesome too but Mao is better).

Rhapsody

Banned
In terms of personality, too many to choose from. For gameplay purposes, has to be Rita for me. Malik has a learning curve kind of, and I didn't control him much.

Rowen's pretty awesome but Xillia gameplay really hurts it. It boils down to spamming tidal wave to kill a mob of enemies or repeating certain moves. Boss fights you can't do anything creative since they'll target who you control and they'll break out of spells too fast because you can't combo them long.

The two mages that saved my butt the most was Reala and Harold. Without them, beating Destiny 2 would be a pain.

Flamfas

Spells were a bit over-important in ToD2.

But Reala is the best healer, and Harold is just a great character, so I would hope you would use the two of them anyway ;)

I used Loni, Judas, Reala, Harold

Rhapsody

Banned
Weren't you practically forced to use Reala and Harold in Destiny 2?

In the sense of having a non frustrating experience, yeah.

Melee attacks did barely any damage later on in the game, so basically characters like Kyle were there to stop the enemy from interrupting your casters.

Rhapsody

Banned
Didn't Nanaly suck immensely compared to the rest? Only mystic Arte, da fuq?

Nanaly was decent mostly because she has access to tier 3 spells. Once you get Harold though, Nanaly doesn't really have anything going for her and get outclassed. The only main reason to keep her in your party end game is if you're going for one melee character protecting 3 casters.

My party was usually Kyle, Loni/Judas, Reala, Harold. I usually controlled Judas when I used him though, since he dies fast as an AI on higher difficulties.
Plus he's easier to get grade bonuses with compared to Kyle, imo.

FSLink

Banned
So, random thought, who are your favorite spell casters in the series? I think even without looking at specific gameplay mechanics, Rita still comes out as the best due to her repertoire and skill list. My favorites would be her, Malik, Rowen, and Mao (Hilda is awesome too but Mao is better).

Rutee, Phillia, and Cheria for me. All fun to control.

I always went with Kyle, Reala, Nanaly or Judas, Harold for my playthroughs of ToD2.

Flamfas

The OP for Tales of Link is SCARLET STARLET, by Straightener, and I'm glad to have learned of this new band. I quite like the OP

Kasumin

My favorites are probably Meredy/Keele (looooved the Craymel Cage system), Jade, Rita, every caster in Graces, and Hilda (preferred her to Mao, actually). Hilda's Shining Ray was so good for stunlocking, if I remember right.

Young Magus

Picked up Hearts/Rebirth (PSP version), what does Tales-GAF feel about the two games? And how far are the translation patches towards 100%?

Flamfas

Hearts you won't get a concrete number for. Kaji is tight lipped.

As a member of the Rebirth team, I can tell you it will be a while. Just play the games, and come back for seconds when they're in English q:

Young Magus

Hearts you won't get a concrete number for. Kaji is tight lipped.

As a member of the Rebirth team, I can tell you it will be a while. Just play the games, and come back for seconds when they're in English q:
Looks like I'll do that then, did not know that we had someone on the rebirth team here on GAF. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Bladenic

Picked up Hearts/Rebirth (PSP version), what does Tales-GAF feel about the two games? And how far are the translation patches towards 100%?

Hearts is a good game, though incredibly spam heavy. The story's decent and the cast is good, though I only really loved Hisui and Kohaku. It's very packed with content though, so it'll last a good while.

Rebirth is one of my favorites in the series. The battle system is incredible and I love the cast. Story's... Eh you'll see. It's not terribly long or packed with side quests but the journey's pretty well paced.

Flamfas

If my google translate skills are working (lol), Baba is teasing the possibility of new info about Tales at the stage event? UGH I'm trying not to get my hopes up but this is getting hard ...

https://twitter.com/tales_ch/status/381365076340400128

Looks like I'll do that then, did not know that we had someone on the rebirth team here on GAF. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

q: thanks. And enjoy the games! Those two are my favorites, along with Vesperia and DestinyR.

demidar

If my google translate skills are working (lol), Baba is teasing the possibility of new info about Tales at the stage event? UGH I'm trying not to get my hopes up but this is getting hard ...

https://twitter.com/tales_ch/status/381365076340400128

q: thanks. And enjoy the games! Those two are my favorites, along with Vesperia and DestinyR.

The only thing I could find was a Tales of Symphonia event on Sunday, 3:15pm-4pm Japan time so I guess the info would be dropped there.

I'm thinking something small, like the theme of the game or an image of the main character or some environmental art or a proper title logo, but who knows; we've been surprised before.

Aiustis

Didn't like Xillia, but I will be getting Symphonia; my sister had it for gamecube and I played for 70ish hours during a week of visiting her about 10 years ago.

Fisico

The only thing I could find was a Tales of Symphonia event on Sunday, 3:15pm-4pm Japan time so I guess the info would be dropped there.

I'm thinking something small, like the theme of the game or an image of the main character or some environmental art or a proper title logo, but who knows; we've been surprised before.

There's a Tales event from 3:15pm until 4:15pm
If you say that Symphonia end at 4pm, it means there's still 15mn for other things (could be Tales of Link, could be Tempest R, could be Zestiria... could be nothing)

Top Bottom