• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Chemo

Just finished up Tales of Xillia and completely adored it. So much better than Graces. I'm really looking forward to Symphonia HD (my all-time favourite Tales game) and Xillia 2... and of course, Vesperia PS3
:(

Heyt

Banned
I've been following hearts translation for countless years. The demo(s) were amazing. I can't wait for the to release this, even more excited than for Destiny.

This guys' work are allways excellent. I will never be grateful enough for dedicating their time to this this way.

A step closer to every (good version of) mainline Tales in English. :)

At this point only innocence r has no planned English patch, apparently innocence r was better then innocence unlike hearts r.

That and the various fan cross over games but I doubt we will ever see someone translate those. Maybe after hearts is finish kaji will go back and finish the two he was working on

Flamfas

I've been following hearts translation for countless years. The demo(s) were amazing. I can't wait for the to release this, even more excited than for Destiny.

This guys' work are allways excellent. I will never be grateful enough for dedicating their time to this this way.

Did you find the new Higher-OhGee in the latest Hearts demo?

I still haven't played the newest hearts demo, though I put an extra like 5 hours into the first demo well past the point of translation because I was enjoying it so much

FSLink

Banned
Instead we would have been F5-ing on Namco's online store and cursing at Digital River if it really had been 1500 copies.

We might still be doing that with 15000 copies. Digital River really sucks. :(

...I should really go finish Xillia 2 and 100% US Xillia but Pokémon X....

Guys.......... tales of Vesperia look so much better than tales of xilla. Do anyone think that there is a chance that they will go back to that kind of art style but with motion captures like TOS:DOTW and TOX ? :(

Also i feel that Tales of Vesperia and the orginal TOS have the best VA cast :(

Tales of grace was ok but tox is really really bad, maybe its because of the bad recording for TOX. I hope TOX2 will be better.

TOS2 change of VA still sounds better than TOX 's cast :/ Must be because of the recording , they all sound somewhat hollow and lifeless to me.

edit

I hope a patch can fix the voice lol , not that its possible if the source files are all affected

Oh well the game is still fun , but it removed some enjoyment i have from the game . And i thought tales of grace f is the bottom line. The sad part is i think the voice acting are better than TOG, just that there is a hollow and echoing like sound to it making them sound artificial. I hope they won't make the same mistake again......

Despera

Banned
Guys.......... tales of Vesperia look so much better than tales of xilla. Do anyone think that there is a chance that they will go back to that kind of art style but with motion captures like TOS:DOTW and TOX ? :(
I just started playing it, and I completely agree.

Oh well...

cafemomo

Hullo,

I kinda want to get into the tales series. I wasn't too much of a fan of abyss (3DS) and I somehow lost my copy of Xillia even before I opened it.

Someone is offering me Tales of the Tempest for 10 bux, but I heard that game is mediocre at best. Should I still jump for it?

Or should I just go ahead with the new one that's gonna come out for the PS3?

Soriku

Hullo,

I kinda want to get into the tales series. I wasn't too much of a fan of abyss (3DS) and I somehow lost my copy of Xillia even before I opened it.

Someone is offering me Tales of the Tempest for 10 bux, but I heard that game is mediocre at best. Should I still jump for it?

Or should I just go ahead with the new one that's gonna come out for the PS3?

Umm...I suggest finding your copy of Xillia, if you can. Or buy a new copy (buying online will save you money). How did you lose it anyway?

Tempest will give you a bad impression of the series, but if you can ignore that, I guess $10 is OK.

Otherwise Graces F is pretty good, though the story is weak. The Symphonia collection comes out next year and ToS is a great game, though a bit dated in comparison to newer games. Dawn I thought was good (but it has its haters).

cafemomo

Umm...I suggest finding your copy of Xillia, if you can. Or buy a new copy (buying online will save you money). How did you lose it anyway?

Tempest will give you a bad impression of the series, but if you can ignore that, I guess $10 is OK.

Otherwise Graces F is pretty good, though the story is weak. The Symphonia collection comes out next year and ToS is a great game, though a bit dated in comparison to newer games. Dawn I thought was good (but it has its haters).

Thanks for the recs, and as for Xillia, it just disappeared.

Also, would you also recommend Tales of Innocence/Hearts (Vita or DS version) ? Also looking towards getting Tales of Phantasia for the GBA.

Currently on the go a lot so handhelds are my first priority over consoles.

Rhapsody

Banned

Also, would you also recommend Tales of Innocence/Hearts (Vita or DS version) ? Also looking towards getting Tales of Phantasia for the GBA.

It's hard to say which game will get you hooked on the series. Most people end up favoring either the Symphonia-like ones or the Destiny styled ones. So if one didn't appeal to you, give the other style a shot. Innocence isn't too bad. It's not made by Tales Studio but it's still good. Either version works. Hearts is a good game and I recommend the DS version.

Stay away from Phantasia GBA unless you're buying it for the sake of having it. PS1 ToP with the english patch or playing the Japanese version of ToP NDX for PSP are your best choices for that. NDX has upgraded party member sprites, spells don't pause the game, and other differences. If you're looking for PSP Tales, Destiny 2 and Rebirth are good choices.

Soriku

Tales of Hearts on DS is supposed to be good, the Vita version apparently not as much. I think Innocence is considered OK. Not sure about Phantasia, but Phantasia is the first Tales game so expect it to be very dated, at least if you're considering the GBA version. If you're fine with playing Tales in Japanese and want to play Phantasia, I'd recommend getting Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X on PSP. Not sure if you own a PSP though or if the game is up on PSN (I don't think it is) to download on Vita.

Most of the good Tales are on consoles. Handhelds have lots of crossover Tales games or ports/remakes and such.

cafemomo

It's hard to say which game will get you hooked on the series. Most people end up favoring either the Symphonia-like ones or the Destiny styled ones. So if one didn't appeal to you, give the other style a shot. Innocence isn't too bad. It's not made by Tales Studio but it's still good. Either version works. Hearts is a good game and I recommend the DS version.

Stay away from Phantasia GBA unless you're buying it for the sake of having it. PS1 ToP with the english patch or playing the Japanese version of ToP NDX for PSP are your best choices for that. NDX has upgraded party member sprites, spells don't pause the game, and other differences. If you're looking for PSP Tales, Destiny 2 and Rebirth are good choices.

Tales of Hearts on DS is supposed to be good, the Vita version apparently not as much. I think Innocence is considered OK. Not sure about Phantasia, but Phantasia is the first Tales game so expect it to be very dated, at least if you're considering the GBA version. If you're fine with playing Tales in Japanese and want to play Phantasia, I'd recommend getting Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X on PSP. Not sure if you own a PSP though or if the game is up on PSN (I don't think it is) to download on Vita.

Most of the good Tales are on consoles. Handhelds have lots of crossover Tales games or ports/remakes and such.

Totally forgot about my PSP ha, thanks for reminding me. I'll check those titles out.

Thanks so much again for the recommendations and help!

Flamfas

If you're looking at handhelds and have already played Abyss, your best option is to play Tales of Eternia on PSP. It released in Europe but not North America, but you can import and it will work just fine.

If you don't mind playing in Japanese, your best choices are Tales of Hearts on DS or Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X, and Destiny 2 on PSP.

Rhapsody

Banned
Speaking of handhelds, I'm disappointed that they practically dismissed having multiplayer in portable mainline Tales.
Innocence was the latest one to have it while, iirc, Hearts was planned one for just dungeons.

Red Mage

If you're looking at handhelds and have already played Abyss, your best option is to play Tales of Eternia on PSP. It released in Europe but not North America, but you can import and it will work just fine.

If you don't mind playing in Japanese, your best choices are Tales of Hearts on DS or Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X, and Destiny 2 on PSP.

Just fine as in the European version will work in NA handhelds?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Symphonia, Vesperia, and Rebirth (JP). The trinity IMO.
As much as I love Abyss and Destiny DC, too... I agree 100%.

Rebirth might actually be my favorite game in the series.

It also has the best protagonist, from a combat based and aesthetic perspective.

Veigue.jpg

Kureaaaaas and one track mind issues aside, he was a nice change of pace from the usual hotheaded Tales lead, too.

keiichi

Out of curiosity, Does anyone know of any stores in Tokyo/Kyoto that have a big selection of "Tales of" plushes? or other Tales items.

Top Bottom