• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
O hai! Sup.

My name is Isshak and I'm the EU CM for Tales.

Let's forge unforgettable friendships together and stuff.

A few words of advice.

Don't try to come off as markety and such. That's an instant ban lol.

Read the Rules. Always a good read for not getting banned.

Post a lot as a junior. But don't do drive bys.

a745

By the way, to those in Europe. The TalesofGame site's been partially updated with pre-order links for the Symphonia CE.

Aaaand from what I've heard so far, all pre-orders for Italian sites already ran out. So fast O_O.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
By the way, to those in Europe. The TalesofGame site's been partially updated with pre-order links for the Symphonia CE.

Aaaand from what I've heard so far, all pre-orders for Italian sites already ran out. So fast O_O.

Rofl. Welp. Pretty excited for next month. =D

Thorgal

Nothing. lol. =D

ll51ee8031.jpg

Tetsuo9

6 Hours in my second Tales game ever, Graces f. Loving it so far!. VA was kind of weird at first but it's growing on me.

The first game I played was phantasia!, so I haven't played one in a long time. So I'm ready to start a long journey. I have Abyss and Xillia waiting, by the time I finish them Symphonia chronicles will probably be out, so its all good!

6 Hours in my second Tales game ever, Graces f. Loving it so far!. VA was kind of weird at first but it's growing on me.

I just started playing Tales of Graces f again, after a two and a half month break. I ultimately decided to restart, so I am also not very far again. I also think, after experimenting with the various characters, that I enjoy using Sophie the most, although Asbel isn't bad.

Tetsuo9

I just started playing Tales of Graces f again, after a two and a half month break. I ultimately decided to restart, so I am also not very far again. I also think, after experimenting with the various characters, that I enjoy using Sophie the most, although Asbel isn't bad.

So far I have only played is Asbel, I find the battle system is kind of complex, trying to learn proper ways of chaining and all of that.

Nudull

Banned
Really thinking about nabbing Xillia on friday, I haven't gotten to enjoy a good rpg in a while, and I've been meaning to get into the series more. Should I bite the bullet, TalesGAF?

demidar

Really thinking about nabbing Xillia on friday, I haven't gotten to enjoy a good rpg in a while, and I've been meaning to get into the series more. Should I bite the bullet, TalesGAF?

You should get Vesperia first (if you have a 360). It's combat is a bit rudimentary but everything else is aces. If not, then sure get Xillia but be warned that the world map (more like a series of boring, empty fields) isn't very good, although you do get fast travel pretty early in the game to mitigate that.

Soriku

A... Phantasia and Destiny port? Am I missing something by not watching the videos?

It's just a countdown. They have Phantasia and Destiny up now because those were the first Tales titles (they'll update the site with new titles each day). The videos are just there for a retrospective.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay guys, need serious answer stat: Xillia or Graces F, which one to get? Aaaaargh can't decide. I am only a click away in my PS3 to download either of them!

Protag

Banned
Any thoughts on what the next mothership title isngoing to be? Cant wait man, new Mother ship title and P5 makes me very very happy.

LuuKyK

Okay guys, need serious answer stat: Xillia or Graces F, which one to get? Aaaaargh can't decide. I am only a click away in my PS3 to download either of them!

Man, thats really hard. Can't you buy both? :|

Graces has better combat, but the characters/story are pretty bad. Xillia has a better story imo, but the combat gets old faster, even if its not terrible. So I think I have to say Xillia, slightly.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I was planning on taking advantage of that deal as well. For those who have played them, is Rebirth or Destiny 2 a better buy?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was planning on taking advantage of that deal as well. For those who have played them, is Rebirth or Destiny 2 a better buy?
Destiny 2 might be more interesting to you if you've played Destiny, because it's directly related to ToD (obviously) and has a lot of recurring characters. It expands on its world pretty well, too, especially concerning the war that the Swordians took part in when they were still human. It also has one of the series' most famous (infamous?) villains in Barbatos Goetia - the "no items ever" guy, if you've ever seen anything related to him.

Rebirth is a better game, though. It doesn't feel nearly as dated, and its battle system, story, mood, theme, music, character design, and nearly everything else feel unique when compared to other Tales games. Veigue - the protagonist - has a moveset completely unlike other Tales leads, as his powers stem from the element of ice (although, you can get an item that gives him the stereotypical Tales hero moveset). The story is pretty vapid at times, but it deals with themes of racism that feel a bit heavier than Symphonia's, and since it has a brooding lead character instead of a hot-headed idiot it feels a bit darker than your average Tales game. It subverts another Tales trope in that there are no summon spirits - no Gnome, Sylph, Efreet, etc. - and there are magical beast-God.... things, instead. A very stand-out game in the franchise that is absolutely worth playing.

The 2D sprites are gorgeous in Rebirth, by the way.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I ended up picking up the ToPX + Rebirth pack because the sprite work impressed me more, looks like I made the right choice.

Bladenic

Got Narikiri Dungeon X. Excited. Plan on getting ToD2 soon as well.

And I haven't played D2 obviously, but Rebirth is absolutely worth picking up. It's part of my Tales trinity, and is an absolutely amazing game in every regard except for the story.

Edit: ordered ToD2 today. Three tales games to play all at once, ahhhhh. Hopefully I finish all 3 before ToSC. Then Xillia 2 will be out soon after. Yay. And of course there's the next Tales game which will surely be coming out next fall.

Link1110

By request, I'm posting this here from the facts that blow your mind thread:

Tales of the Abyss just blew my mind in a big way.

I've known for years that the opening song's lyrics are just a cryptic retelling of the game's plot (at least some major parts of it) but it hit me like a ton of bricks WHY they did that.

The game is about a prophecy, known as the score, that foretells all the world's events, and is even drawn as a musical score in places. A song... that fortells many things that are gonna happen? Karma itself is a score!

Big spoilers:
(My translation, I took some minor liberties to make it sound better. Notice the presence of several ost track titles in the lyrics)

A glass ball fell And then, as if chasing it another one fell
...Asch was born, then like was cloned

Only one remains In a place in the sun meant for one
...Luke usurped Asch's entire life when he was returned after Asch got kidnapped

From the moment our hearts start beating We take a place in the world, good or bad And we protect it so that it's not taken from us
...Luke isn't exactly happy with his life, but he's not willing to accept he had no place I'm the sun (world)

I had kept my hands clean, but now they're dirty
...Self explanatory, Luke has to kill.

Before I can doubt my memory, it doubts me back
...Luke had no memory but there's a good reason.

It's a certainty that we will meet one day, the identical sound of our hearts pointing us ever closer
...Luke and Asch meet, their resonance is the same, which is vital to Van's plot

I'm here, always calling out to you
...Asch can telepathically contact Luke

When all our weary reasons have piled up high enough, we'll know our meaning of birth
...Meaning of Birth is the name of the song that plays when Asch and Luke fight

As if we are mirrors, we reflect our respective karmas back at each other
...Their fates are similar

When dirtied hand touches dirty hand, we'll know what we truly are.
...Luke and Asch learn who they truly are during their fight

I'm here, and I'm certain you can touch me. I'm here in this place in the sun meant for one.
...Luke to Asch

Don't forget that I'm always calling out to you from the inside of this identical glass ball.
...Identical glass ball = body

It's a certainty that we will meet one day.
...They do

When it's time to raise the cross on top of the buried hatchet, we will finish the promise.
...When we forgive each other we can fulfill promises to Tear and Natalia

And we will become one.
...The ending is vague. Here's a theory on what happens.

Protag

Banned
By request, I'm posting this here from the facts that blow your mind thread:

Tales of the Abyss just blew my mind in a big way.

I've known for years that the opening song's lyrics are just a cryptic retelling of the game's plot (at least some major parts of it) but it hit me like a ton of bricks WHY they did that.

The game is about a prophecy, known as the score, that foretells all the world's events, and is even drawn as a musical score in places. A song... that fortells many things that are gonna happen? Karma itself is a score!

Big spoilers:
(My translation, I took some minor liberties to make it sound better. Notice the presence of several ost track titles in the lyrics)

A glass ball fell And then, as if chasing it another one fell
...Asch was born, then like was cloned

Only one remains In a place in the sun meant for one
...Luke usurped Asch's entire life when he was returned after Asch got kidnapped

From the moment our hearts start beating We take a place in the world, good or bad And we protect it so that it's not taken from us
...Luke isn't exactly happy with his life, but he's not willing to accept he had no place I'm the sun (world)

I had kept my hands clean, but now they're dirty
...Self explanatory, Luke has to kill.

Before I can doubt my memory, it doubts me back
...Luke had no memory but there's a good reason.

It's a certainty that we will meet one day, the identical sound of our hearts pointing us ever closer
...Luke and Asch meet, their resonance is the same, which is vital to Van's plot

I'm here, always calling out to you
...Asch can telepathically contact Luke

When all our weary reasons have piled up high enough, we'll know our meaning of birth
...Meaning of Birth is the name of the song that plays when Asch and Luke fight

As if we are mirrors, we reflect our respective karmas back at each other
...Their fates are similar

When dirtied hand touches dirty hand, we'll know what we truly are.
...Luke and Asch learn who they truly are during their fight

I'm here, and I'm certain you can touch me. I'm here in this place in the sun meant for one.
...Luke to Asch

Don't forget that I'm always calling out to you from the inside of this identical glass ball.
...Identical glass ball = body

It's a certainty that we will meet one day.
...They do

When it's time to raise the cross on top of the buried hatchet, we will finish the promise.
...When we forgive each other we can fulfill promises to Tear and Natalia

And we will become one.
...The ending is vague. Here's a theory on what happens.

awesome

cafemomo

I'm going to give Tales of the Abyss 3DS another shot.

I felt it was really boring when I first played it, then again, I rushed through it.

LuuKyK

I'm going to give Tales of the Abyss 3DS another shot.

I felt it was really boring when I first played it, then again, I rushed through it.

I would too if the game was available on the eShop. Why isn't it? :(

I can't find a physical copy anywhere in my country.

MechaX

I would too if the game was available on the eShop. Why isn't it? :(

I can't find a physical copy anywhere in my country.

Is Amazon an option for you? The 3DS copies aren't too expensive online, but I don't know if you'd have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping depending on where you live.

aravuus

How is the 3DS version compared to the PS2 version? Better, worse? Loved it on PS2 but if the only new thing is 3D, I'll skip and be happy with the playstation version.

How is the 3DS version compared to the PS2 version? Better, worse? Loved it on PS2 but if the only new thing is 3D, I'll skip and be happy with the playstation version.

The 3D is utter crap and is the only game I cannot play with 3D on because it hurts to look at.
Other than that the load times are fantastically short so if those annoy you on the PS2 it might be worth looking into.

LuuKyK

Is Amazon an option for you? The 3DS copies aren't too expensive online, but I don't know if you'd have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping depending on where you live.

Sadly not. :/

That would be my best option but I don't think they send games to my country, and even if they did, the taxes would be astronomical.

Bladenic

ToD2 and ToPNDX both came yay! Playing ToD2 first. First two bosses down so far, really fun as all Tales games are.

I have to say though, Reala is freaking hideous. By far the ugliest female MC design in the series. Yuck.

Top Bottom