• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Plus the music was the last of Sakuraba's Mario Tennis/Destiny 2/Golden Sun-ish style.
Yes.

And yeah, I'm surprised that, to date, Rebirth is the first and the last game to use the L-MBS and the force gauge. I'm still hoping for another 2D Tales that uses them, because they were really a lot of fun. Destiny R's system seems to have won over, though.

Soriku

Can someone explain Rebirth's battle system? All I know is that there are three planes but I don't know how much that changes up things. Is the Force gauge like a CC prototype or independent from CC and TP?

For Zestiria, if they use the CC system again they have to include the Artes Ball this time. Don't know why it wasn't included in Graces or Graces F. It's awesome linking so many artes together. Ludger apparently allowing for 48 artes in Xillia 2 (16 total artes x 3 weapon types) sounds super crazy...don't know how well I'll be able to manage that.

I think if Zestiria uses Graces as a base then 16 B artes with the Artes Ball + A attacks sounds ideal. And I hope they don't neglect aerial combos like Graces.

cafemomo

Tales of Xillia is 40 bux at Wal Mart. I might go pick it up if it's still that price next week. IIRC, used at gamestop with a pro card is also $40

also, im never touching tales of the tempest ever again. battle system was a bit fun though.

Looking into getting Eternia PSP next. some crazy peep on amazon is asking $90 for it. (haven't checked eBay prices yet) Might have to jump for the JP version since it's less than $20.

Soriku

Tales of Xillia is 40 bux at Wal Mart. I might go pick it up if it's still that price next week. IIRC, used at gamestop with a pro card is also $40

also, im never touching tales of the tempest ever again. battle system was a bit fun though.

Looking into getting Eternia PSP next. some crazy peep on amazon is asking $90 for it. (haven't checked eBay prices yet) Might have to jump for the JP version since it's less than $20.

Definitely get Xillia again. I'm near the end and I love it, my second favorite Tales after Symphonia, Just don't lose it this time :p

Soriku

ha, I won't.

How long is the game would you say? A friend told me the first chapter is around 15~ hours or so

I'm 55 hours in and have done nearly all sidequests up to this point. Still a good number of sidequests left to go, some arena battles, a couple optional bosses and an optional dungeon.

It's shorter than some other console Tales but still fairly long. Some people say they've beaten the game in 25-30 hours or something...those people were rushing.

3Kaze

JbjkVUt.jpg

Yay. I heard we can't even skip cutscenes though. What a lazy remaster :|

Flamfas

Can someone explain Rebirth's battle system? All I know is that there are three planes but I don't know how much that changes up things. Is the Force gauge like a CC prototype or independent from CC and TP?

I wouldn't really call them planes (I guess you can jump, though I never did often, especially since its mapped to Select in the PSP version), more like lines, but yeah. It's a way of adding a third dimension of movement without having full out Free Run.

There's a Force Gauge and a Rush Gauge. Your Rush Gauge gradually fills while you're attack and cools down when you sustain a hit while guarding. If your Rush Gauge is empty and you're hit, you'll have a guard break. Your Rush Gauge being higher allows you to deal more damage, but in return you also take more damage and recover less HP (you recover HP gradually from various things, including Annie's circles). The reverse is true for a lower Rush Gauge. You can manually manipulate your Gauge by guarding then pressing up or down, also.

The Force Gauge has four directions and you can assign an arte to each. You can use the arte at any time, but it does more damage if you wait until the Force Gauge is full for that arte (basically, this mechanic allows spamming but punishes it by nerfing artes' power). Also, higher level artes (there's some ougi/tokougi/etc naming scheme that I never can remember) are accessed in a peculiar way. If you use an arte while your Rush Gauge is higher than half, any full Force Gauges will light up yellow and allow you to use a higher level arte.

Yeah, there's a lot of depth. You don't have to worry about TP, and you can spam, but it's not broken at all because your attacks get really weak and it's not worth it.

Seronei

I'm 55 hours in and have done nearly all sidequests up to this point. Still a good number of sidequests left to go, some arena battles, a couple optional bosses and an optional dungeon.

It's shorter than some other console Tales but still fairly long. Some people say they've beaten the game in 25-30 hours or something...those people were rushing.

I did it in 36 hours and I wouldn't say I was rushing. I ran around looking for items did a lot of sidequests. Got the 6 devil's arms etc.

Soriku

I wouldn't really call them planes (I guess you can jump, though I never did often, especially since its mapped to Select in the PSP version), more like lines, but yeah. It's a way of adding a third dimension of movement without having full out Free Run.

There's a Force Gauge and a Rush Gauge. Your Rush Gauge gradually fills while you're attack and cools down when you sustain a hit while guarding. If your Rush Gauge is empty and you're hit, you'll have a guard break. Your Rush Gauge being higher allows you to deal more damage, but in return you also take more damage and recover less HP (you recover HP gradually from various things, including Annie's circles). The reverse is true for a lower Rush Gauge. You can manually manipulate your Gauge by guarding then pressing up or down, also.

The Force Gauge has four directions and you can assign an arte to each. You can use the arte at any time, but it does more damage if you wait until the Force Gauge is full for that arte (basically, this mechanic allows spamming but punishes it by nerfing artes' power). Also, higher level artes (there's some ougi/tokougi/etc naming scheme that I never can remember) are accessed in a peculiar way. If you use an arte while your Rush Gauge is higher than half, any full Force Gauges will light up yellow and allow you to use a higher level arte.

Yeah, there's a lot of depth. You don't have to worry about TP, and you can spam, but it's not broken at all because your attacks get really weak and it's not worth it.

Interesting. Sounds different from CC and TP and very risk/reward.

FSLink

Banned
Interesting. Sounds different from CC and TP and very risk/reward.

I also feel it's slower paced (which makes it feel different for sure than CC/TP systems) but it requires a lot of strategic thinking, and the subsystems like cooking really go well with Rebirth's battle system. It's one of my favorites for sure.

...and so much for me beating Xillia 2. Stupid Pokémon X addiction. :p Any of you guys get on the Pokémon bandwagon?

Rhapsody

Banned
I also feel it's slower paced (which makes it feel different for sure than CC/TP systems) but it requires a lot of strategic thinking, and the subsystems like cooking really go well with Rebirth's battle system. It's one of my favorites for sure.

...and so much for me beating Xillia 2. Stupid Pokémon X addiction. :p Any of you guys get on the Pokémon bandwagon?

Playing through Pokemon BW since I never got around to it. Always loved the series, but I took a short break and I don't want to skip a gen. I'd be finished with it if I wasn't marathoning all the Ace Attorney games again before 5 comes out.

I'm on playing Pokemon Y.

Though, I'm like in the last part of Xillia, so I'm trying to clear it and get the plat as quick as I can at this point.

demidar

Pretty standard answers but the questions weren't bad.

Glad to know that fantasy rpg will still remain the focus for "Tales of"

I wouldn't mind a modern setting for a Tales game, or even future. You can just make up some bullshit about people using (cyber)swords because shield technology advanced faster than projectile technology so people have to cleave through shields using swords.

cafemomo

Jumped into that Xillia deal at wally world & I'm loving every moment of it so far. REALLY regret not starting it earlier and loosing my original copy.

This might be the title that fully pulls me into this series.

After this, Imma take a break then jump into Eternia (provided I can find a cheap import copy from Yurop)

Arkeus

As you've seen already probably but Symphonia is coming out on the week of the 25th of Feb.

We saw that the english skits are not voiced, at least they weren't in some youtube videos.

Do you know if the JP audio skits in the US/EU port will have voice, or is it still in the 'no clue' territory?

Soriku

We saw that the english skits are not voiced, at least they weren't in some youtube videos.

Do you know if the JP audio skits in the US/EU port will have voice, or is it still in the 'no clue' territory?

The game is dual audio and there's no reason to remove the JP audio in skits, so...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Even though the English dub of Symphonia is really, really good, especially for its time, I am so excited to finally be able to view voiced skits.

Thorgal

Oh. Yeah the game picks up tons by the end of part 2 and never stops.

Xillia 2 is early 2014 apparently (after ToS HD), can't wait.

I only hope that whoever voices Ludger in that game has an epic scream . because you know that's one of the few moments he actually uses his voice.

Replaying Xillia with a friend makes me realize how much the game foreshadows several of its major twist and character reveals. More so then any other Tales game i've played

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yes. There's a completely new post-game story with new dungeons, an additional playable character and some new tweaks for the battle system. That story is incredibly annoying, though.

Thorgal

So what's the difference between Graces & Graces F?

Are there more content on the PS3 version?

Yes. There's a completely new post-game story with new dungeons, an additional playable character and some new tweaks for the battle system. That story is incredibly annoying, though.

Couple more things :

A new arena fight against
Possion
.-

Every character gets a 4th mystic arte along with a new combat mechanic.

Ability to make Narikiri dolls (changes characters to other characters making it possible to fight with 4 Asbel's for example.)

Arbuably Sophie's best costume

and finally a more decent ending that ties up any loose ends and gives the story full closure.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So what's the difference between Graces & Graces F?

Are there more content on the PS3 version?
And moreover, PS3 version has less tricks/bugs/glitches to exploit than the Wii version (though a number of the bugs were fixed in another print of the Wii version). Beating the Rockgagong repeatedly in the PS3 version no longer allows you to farm XP. The Japanese PS3 version has the item dupe trick carried over from the Wii version, but the EU/NA versions don't have this dupe trick.

cafemomo

Cool, thanks for all the info.

Picked up the PS3 version. I heard the battle system was pretty amazing.
So far (with an exception of tempest and abyss) I'm loving the tales series.

Wish Namco would make more of these games for the Vita or 3DS though

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not gonna lie, but one of the major reasons why I decided to invest in a JP 3DS was just in case there are 3DS Tales games so I could just import them at my leisure.

FSLink

Banned
Not gonna lie, but one of the major reasons why I decided to invest in a JP 3DS was just in case there are 3DS Tales games so I could just import them at my leisure.

So tempting, but I think I'd rather save my money and put it towards a 3DS capture card and hope someone hacks the 3DS, haha. I'll probably bite if there's a mainline non-port 3DS Tales though.

cafemomo

Does Namco have any future plans for the series on handhelds?

I know they recently talked about the PS4 and shafted that xbawx, but I'm curious if they still(?) support the Vita or 3DS

Soriku

Does Namco have any future plans for the series on handhelds?

I know they recently talked about the PS4 and shafted that xbawx, but I'm curious if they still(?) support the Vita or 3DS

Tales of Tempest R has been hinted I believe. But that's about it.

Am I almost done with Xilia? This game wins the award for most times I think the game is over, but hey let's throw more random shit in the equation. I'm at
The first dungeon in the 2nd planet.

Soriku

Am I almost done with Xilia? This game wins the award for most times I think the game is over, but hey let's throw more random shit in the equation. I'm at
The first dungeon in the 2nd planet.

Yeah you're very close. Some Tales games tend to drag you around like that...I like that a lot personally :p

isshak_gravi

Bandai Namco Europe and Australasia Community Manager for Tales, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and One Piece
O hai! Sup.

My name is Isshak and I'm the EU CM for Tales.

Let's forge unforgettable friendships together and stuff.

O hai! Sup.

My name is Isshak and I'm the EU CM for Tales.

Let's forge unforgettable friendships together and stuff.

You're going to be the one who betrays us a few times before you come clean by the end!

Welcome! Spread feedback for more Udo battle system goodness back to home office, please.

Top Bottom