• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

PKrockin

So would you still recommend Vesperia over Phantasia?

I actually haven't finished it yet, but from what I've played I prefer Vesperia. Phantasia isn't a bad place to start either though. The PSX revamp plays much more smoothly than its almost 20 year old original release, it looks and sounds quite nice, and the plot is pretty good classic RPG fare.

FSLink

Banned
I have a Japanese PS1 copy of Phantasia. I'm assuming the PS1 version is a lot better than the GBA one?
Tons.
Vesperia's probably a better choice still for a first game, though if you like older games or would rather play the first game in the series, Phantasia's not a bad choice.

The only Phantasia worth playing is the X version.

I wish the Super Famicom version wasn't so dated gameplay wise, I really like the sprites, the music, and the old Tale Phantasia character designs.

Protag

Banned
Man, hearing that same save point jingle through the years, it makes me feel at home brehs, just started Xills tonight, like it already.

So, I started Vesperia last night and I'm enjoying it so far.

So far the best skit I've seen is this one:

Estelle: "Monsters are easier to beat than I thought!"

Yuri: "Isn't that better than being harder than you thought?"

Estelle, sad: "But I feel sorry for them."

Yuri: "You're way too nice. I don't particularly enjoy being someone else's dinner."

Estelle, nodding: "You're right... This is different from inside the castle! The strong eat the weak."

Yuri: "Uh. We're not gonna be eating any of these monsters."

Estelle, deciding firmly: "I won't hesitate to defeat any monsters... but I will never forget what I fought or where I fought it. Then, when I return to the capital? I will make GRAVES in memory of all the monsters I've killed!"

Yuri, weirded out: "I. Uh. I guess you could do that..."

I actually laughed out loud when she said she would make graves for all the monsters she killed.
KuGsj.gif

PKrockin

Vesperia's skits are easily the funniest of the series IMO. I probably enjoyed them even more than the actual story events.

So, I started Vesperia last night and I'm enjoying it so far.

So far the best skit I've seen is this one:

I actually laughed out loud when she said she would make graves for all the monsters she killed.
KuGsj.gif

Estelle is the LONE "innocent-sheltered" JRPG character to have ever pulled that off. That scene after the second That Scene cemented it.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really like Estelle much. She got plenty of development, but none of it really made her more likable for me.

I suppose I could just be annoyed since she got more focus than Rita, Raven, and Judith combined when I liked all of them much more than Estelle.

I've been looking at Tales of Vesperia Japanese PS3 copies, I was wondering if they had English menus and subtitles, or is it completely in Japanese?

FSLink

Banned
I've been looking at Tales of Vesperia Japanese PS3 copies, I was wondering if they had English menus and subtitles, or is it completely in Japanese?

All Japanese. I'll be blunt, it's a Japanese game, there's no reason why it would have subtitles for English readers/speakers. I don't even think there is an example of this existing outside of stuff like Ace Attorney on DS where it was getting a localization anyway.

If you played the 360 game already, it's easy enough to navigate if you're familiar with it. The aselia wiki also helps out with the newly added skills and stuff if you can't read any Japanese. There's also the fan translation coming out if you have an older firmware/custom firmware PS3.

All Japanese. I'll be blunt, it's a Japanese game, there's no reason why it would have subtitles for English readers/speakers. I don't even think there is an example of this existing outside of stuff like Ace Attorney on DS where it was getting a localization anyway.

If you played the 360 game already, it's easy enough to navigate if you're familiar with it. The aselia wiki also helps out with the newly added skills and stuff if you can't read any Japanese. There's also the fan translation coming out if you have an older firmware/custom firmware PS3.

Bummer, I think there have been a few games that have released with multiple languages and menus, too bad this isn't one of them. Pretty sure the disk version of Okami in japan had an English menu option. I actually have not played the 360 version since I don't have one. I don't really want to buy one just for a single game, and maybe Halo. Maybe I should just borrow my old roommates 360.

FSLink

Banned
Bummer, I think there have been a few games that have released with multiple languages and menus, too bad this isn't one of them. Pretty sure the disk version of Okami in japan had an English menu option. I actually have not played the 360 version since I don't have one. I don't really want to buy one just for a single game, and maybe Halo. Maybe I should just borrow my old roommates 360.

Yeah, Okami HD has English (I own the JPN Capcom store collector's edition with that sweet sakura snow globe), but that was a game already localized whereas Vesperia wasn't. Plus I think even the US version of Okami switches to Japanese text if you have your console language set to JPN, I know it does this for the JP copy at least...Okami HD is just a weird rare exception because the "disk" really just installs the PSN version that has both English and Japanese text on your console, and uses the disk to verify if you own it or not.

But yeah, I really can't think of any text heavy game that had full English and wasn't localized to either US and/or Europe.

I would definitely suggest just borrowing a 360 and Vesperia if you can, it's probably the easiest method and honestly the game is pretty complete without the PS3 extras, and it has the benefit of the amazing English dub.

Yeah, Okami HD has English (I own the JPN Capcom store collector's edition with that sweet sakura snow globe), but that was a game already localized whereas Vesperia wasn't. Plus I think even the US version of Okami switches to Japanese text if you have your console language set to JPN, I know it does this for the JP copy at least...Okami HD is just a weird rare exception because the "disk" really just installs the PSN version that has both English and Japanese text on your console, and uses the disk to verify if you own it or not.

But yeah, I really can't think of any text heavy game that had full English and wasn't localized to either US and/or Europe.

I would definitely suggest just borrowing a 360 and Vesperia if you can, it's probably the easiest method and honestly the game is pretty complete without the PS3 extras, and it has the benefit of the amazing English dub.

I completely forgot Okami is on the PSN, I guess I really wanted that Snow Globe! You're right, I cant think of many either.

Guess I'll just try to borrow a 360 and a copy. I've heard so much great things about Vesperia, I really want to play it. I just have a copy of Xillia collecting dust. Maybe I should just play that while I figure out a way to play Vesperia.

Blasty

I just started Vesperia and I started Graces f a little bit ago.

I'm not that far into Vesperia, but I can say I don't like the battle system that much. The game also kind of reminds me a Abyss (which isn't a good thing). I do like Yuri though.

As for Graces, I don't see the huge problem with it. I would say that the cast is better than Abyss's overall and they characters are definitely better than Marta and Emil. The battle system is overrated, IMO. Xillia has the best battle system of the Tales of games I've played, by far.

I just started Vesperia and I started Graces f a little bit ago.

I'm not that far into Vesperia, but I can say I don't like the battle system that much. The game also kind of reminds me a Abyss (which isn't a good thing). I do like Yuri though.

As for Graces, I don't see the huge problem with it. I would say that the cast is better than Abyss's overall and they characters are definitely better than Marta and Emil. The battle system is overrated, IMO. Xillia has the best battle system of the Tales of games I've played, by far.

Found the problem!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I love Estelle, and the sucker-for-romance in me dearly wishes she gets together with Yuri.

Well, I suppose she and him gets as far as possible without actually officially getting paired up romantically, but heh. That scene before the final battle was very unnnngh-worthy for me.

Bladenic

Agreed. She's one of the best things to come out of Vesperia.

YES! I love Estelle. Actually, favorite Tales heroine by far.

I love Estelle, and the sucker-for-romance in me dearly wishes she gets together with Yuri.

Well, I suppose she and him gets as far as possible without actually officially getting paired up romantically, but heh. That scene before the final battle was very unnnngh-worthy for me.

Same here! It's funny that the developers opted out of making them an official couple, like say Luke/Tear or Shing/Kohaku, when I found them far more interesting and great as a pairing than most Tales romances. I do wish they would have expanded upon their relationship. In particular, I think it could have been a great point if the two of them were reluctant due to be together to their different upbringings/wealth status, but ah well.

demidar

It's certainly odd since the Tales games are traditional when it comes to character archetypes and relationships. I guess I just enjoy the novelty of a strong platonic relationship.

Bladenic

It's certainly odd since the Tales games are traditional when it comes to character archetypes and relationships. I guess I just enjoy the novelty of a strong platonic relationship.

Yuri and Estelle definitely were not platonic by the end though, as much as some people like to claim otherwise. I mean, the final conversation before the final battle, Estelle says "I want to be with you" and Yuri says he feels the same. There was just no "I love you" and all that.

Seda

I actually really liked that Yuri and Estelle's relationship avoided any awkward confessions of love or utterances about what either 'feels' for the other. They got along well, and certainly became great friends, and I know I wouldn't have liked the 'pairing' as much if it fell into the typical JRPG couple.

I guess I just enjoy the novelty of a strong platonic relationship.

Exactly.

demidar

Yuri and Estelle definitely were not platonic by the end though, as much as some people like to claim otherwise. I mean, the final conversation before the final battle, Estelle says "I want to be with you" and Yuri says he feels the same. There was just no "I love you" and all that.

Really? I don't remember that.

Then again, it was... 6 years ago?

CorvoSol

Made it to Kaitzur. Guy is the only party member who isn't annoying, and he trades that for being SUPER SUSPICIOUS instead.

Levyne

Banned
I love that Yuri and Estelle are not blatantly shipped . Half the time when characters are paired in some official declaration it just feels awkward and manufactured. You can tell they clearly care for each other anyways through their interactions, and people are free to interpret from there.

catmincer

I'm near the end of Vesperia, I really like the characters* and their interactions.

edit: Finished. I really enjoyed this and now I'll need to play more in the series.

Except Karol, I have spent the whole game hoping he'd die a horrible death but it is yet to happen. :(

Heyt

Banned
People seem to hate a lot con Karol, but I think it turned out a lot better than other children in the series and wasn't bothered by him at all. I can understand that his kind of character isn't the most likeable, though.

FSLink

Banned
People seem to hate a lot con Karol, but I think it turned out a lot better than other children in the series and wasn't bothered by him at all. I can understand that his kind of character isn't the most likeable, though.

Yeah, he was one of the few kid characters in the series that was well written. Plus he's fun to us in battle and a great backup healer.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Yeah, he was one of the few kid characters in the series that was well written. Plus he's fun to us in battle and a great backup healer.

Yep, I like him too, and his arc with Yuri is fun to see, and his romance arc is pretty cute too, hahaha.

In fact, Vesperia is a complete 100% reversal from Abyss for me; I like everyone in Vesperia, especially Yuri and Estelle, and I really dislike *everyone* in Abyss.

Heyt

Banned
I think both Abyss' and Vesperia's cast are equally excellent, but they were written under different values. I think Abyss' characters were written to be more human, but that comes with flaws that makes them much less likeable (or more despicable, depends on how they get to you). Versperia's cast was more focused on getting a cast that interacted well with each other instead of giving each character a frame and a backstory. They had a sense of independence as well, but they were mostly designed to round the group up, I think.

I am so sad I could not experience the PS3 version content, I wonder if Flynn and Patty would add to this whole concept or be detrimental to it. But knowing they were part of the full vision from the get go, I'm inclined to think we've been missing out a lot.

FSLink

Banned
I think the only person I didn't like was Judith, and that's because I don't usually like her character archetype, and she's meh in battle unless you're controlling her yourself. They really should have just given aerial skills to everyone instead of giving it to just her resulting in her awkwardly doing combos by herself. Makes for cool videos at least.

I am so sad I could not experience the PS3 version content, I wonder if Flynn and Patty would add to this whole concept or be detrimental to it. But knowing they were part of the full vision from the get go, I'm inclined to think we've been missing out a lot.

They honestly don't add much, and Patty can easily be written out. She makes for a great party member in battle but she's really unnecessary.

Heyt

Banned
I liked Judith a lot, mained ther on Vesperia. Character wise It was pleasing for me as well, but I never cared too much about them individually. As a group I was really invested in them.

Could you please describe Flynn and Patty more as playable characters, please FSlink?

FSLink

Banned
I liked Judith a lot, mained ther on Vesperia. Character wise It was pleasing for me as well, but I never cared too much about them individually. As a group I was really invested in them.

Could you please describe Flynn and Patty more as playable characters, please FSlink?

Flynn basically plays like Lloyd + Kratos put together, with some light spells for magic and First Aid/Healing Wind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoAD_si_B8 This "all-artes" combo video will give you an idea of his moveset.

Patty is an odd ball. She's a gun user with a lot of luck based moves. One move can randomly cast Pow Hammers on the field or even give your party a random Overlimit level, and she has a spell that randomly casts a Lv1 spell (Fireball, Champagne, etc.)
She also has different modes called Normal, Braniel, Critical, that affect her artes. She can change these modes with one of her artes, and it randomly chooses one when she starts a battle I think.

While on the topic if PS3 Vesperia, did Namco Bandai ever release an official statement on why it never got localized?
Nope.
It's probably a combination of release timing, how expensive it'd be to bring back the VAs for their new lines (there was quite a bit of added voiced content), and ports generally not selling as well.

Patty can swiftly show you a game over screen if you decide to gamble, or save you from a hopeless situation with the same artes.

But if you decide to use her as a regular fighter and make use of her stance changes (she does different things depending on her stance, sometimes it's a slight variation and other times her artes change completely), she's a beast near Yuri and Rita's level. When I'm using her she keeps getting a free Overlimit all the time, sometimes lasting the whole fight.

The thing with Abyss characters is that you don't ask who's suspicious, but who's not suspicious. The only characters I didn't doubt were Luke and Ion.

Heyt

Banned
While on the topic if PS3 Vesperia, did Namco Bandai ever release an official statement on why it never got localized?

Why bother?

At least we can wait for Vesperia 10th anniversary. We surely get a port then, and it's only 5 years away :D

Patty seems like a really odd character. I am also surprised by Flynn. I though he would be more of a tank instead of the huge damage dealer he seems to be.

Nope.
It's probably a combination of release timing, how expensive it'd be to bring back the VAs for their new lines (there was quite a bit of added voiced content), and ports generally not selling as well.

Why bother?

Honestly, I'm sure the fan base would appreciate it if Namco Bandai at least gave a reason why it never got localized. Really, being forthright about why or why not certain products are localized just seems more respectable to me.

At least they were honest about a Tales filled year. Really looking forward to playing Symphonia again, even if it is only 30 frames per second.

FSLink

Banned
Honestly, I'm sure the fan base would appreciate it if Namco Bandai at least gave a reason why it never got localized. Really, being forthright about why or why not certain products are localized just seems more respectable to me.

They also closed down the official Tales forums without warning, and had a horrible Graces f teaser with a Vesperia logo in there. Good PR isn't really their thing, haha.

Heyt

Banned
They also closed down the official Tales forums without warning, and had a horrible Graces f teaser with a Vesperia logo in there. Good PR isn't really their thing, haha.

Yeah, precisely. What I mean is that they really don't care much (or seem not to) about the western fan, at least in those days. If they were considerate enought to release a statemen about the reason not releasing Tales on the west we would have a huge collection of identical reasons: Destiny DC, Destiny 2, Rebirth, Hearts...

That's disappointing.

I do remember the tales of Graces f teaser, that really distorted Vesperia logo if I remember correctly. I would not call that bad PR, but someone in marketing REALLY messed up trying to tease a game.

Sure good PR isn't their thing, but I can't think of many good PR examples period.

Edit:
ATOTR-Vesperia.jpg

Top Bottom