• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

The thing with Abyss characters is that you don't ask who's suspicious, but who's not suspicious. The only characters I didn't doubt were Luke and Ion.

This, and even then you know Ion knows more then he's letting on at some points. Luke was trustworthy because he always annoyingly said what was on his mind and you knew he didn't know shit

Hi guys.... just want to say that I dreamed that tales of hearts is out in English on vita.

I also dreamed that everyone hate the game and play a fan translated DS game instead.

:/

CorvoSol

Just got to Castle Choral in Tales of the Abyss and I've decided that anybody not named "Guy" in my party is a horrible sack of shit.

Why? Because
we murdered a little girl's mother and then contemplated leaving the little girl to die in a fog of unholy poison.
That's some DARK shit for a JRPG cast to do right there. That right there is Final Fantasy 4 opening sequence Cecil, except that when Cecil did that kind of shit, he 1) had the excuse of acting under orders rather than coming up with it on his own and 2) had the decency to feel like shit afterward. Meanwhile, none of these miserable sons of guns seem all that sorry for what they did.

That's disappointing.

I do remember the tales of Graces f teaser, that really distorted Vesperia logo if I remember correctly. I would not call that bad PR, but someone in marketing REALLY messed up trying to tease a game.

Sure good PR isn't their thing, but I can't think of many good PR examples period.

Edit:
ATOTR-Vesperia.jpg

Poor Scamco, they try so hard. :p

I actually really liked that Yuri and Estelle's relationship avoided any awkward confessions of love or utterances about what either 'feels' for the other. They got along well, and certainly became great friends, and I know I wouldn't have liked the 'pairing' as much if it fell into the typical JRPG couple.

Exactly.

Besides, Yuri and Judith were fucking like rabbits with every decent chance to get alone they got.

fates

I'm holding out for a SUPER HD version of Vesperia on PS4 at some point. I mean, we are finally getting the PS2 Symphonia so who knows.

Damn that teaser hurt.

PKrockin

Just got to Castle Choral in Tales of the Abyss and I've decided that anybody not named "Guy" in my party is a horrible sack of shit.

Why? Because
we murdered a little girl's mother and then contemplated leaving the little girl to die in a fog of unholy poison.
That's some DARK shit for a JRPG cast to do right there. That right there is Final Fantasy 4 opening sequence Cecil, except that when Cecil did that kind of shit, he 1) had the excuse of acting under orders rather than coming up with it on his own and 2) had the decency to feel like shit afterward. Meanwhile, none of these miserable sons of guns seem all that sorry for what they did.
She's actually the same age as Tear, if you can believe it.

There is more justification for this but I can't remember how much you know about her at this point.

Why? Because
You're still in Choral and you're already feeling like this? Oh man.

Oh, and a little tip, by the way.
Whenever the game asks you if you want to skip all the way to the next cutscene at wherever, it means you should NOT skip, or you'll miss something interesting. Try getting to the bottom floor of the castle on foot instead of teleporting to the port. Trolling bastards.

CorvoSol

She's actually the same age as Tear, if you can believe it.

There is more justification for this but I can't remember how much you know about her at this point.

Even if she isn't a little girl, we still
murdered her mother and then left her for dead.
I mean the Church isn't good guys when they employ people like "The Reaper" and "The Bloody" but my team is full of jeeeeeeeerks.

You're still in Choral and you're already feeling like this? Oh man.

Oh, and a little tip, by the way.
Whenever the game asks you if you want to skip all the way to the next cutscene at wherever, it means you should NOT skip, or you'll miss something interesting. Try getting to the bottom floor of the castle on foot instead of teleporting to the port. Trolling bastards.

I just kinda feel that everyone in this cast has behaved terribly thus far. If they all repent partway through that's great, but the way everyone is all cheery about
having killed an animal/mother and her young, and think less of Luke cuz he isn't gungho about cutting a dude is bothering me.

The thing with Abyss characters is that you don't ask who's suspicious, but who's not suspicious. The only characters I didn't doubt were Luke and Ion.

Ion is the most suspicious of all! He's like "I can't tell you anything because all of it is classified." Tear is all "I DEFINITELY WORK FOR MOHS BUT I CAN'T JUSTIFY ANYTHING." Jade's like "YEAH I AM THE NECROMANCER BUT IT'S MORE AN EMPHASIS ON THE ROMANCE PART." Honestly Anise and Luke are the only ones who aren't suspicious, and Luke doesn't count because "HEY GUYS I HAVE AMNESIA. NOTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THAT."

So just Anise. Who was a douchebag to a girl who
was only trying to avenge her mother's death.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My first WTF-is-this-shit moment from Abyss came from when the party had(?) to kill that one monster boss and her young because Mieu burned their forest. I fucking detested that boss battle simply because I really felt that monster did *nothing* wrong at all and *all* the blame lies squarely with Mieu but fuck it, Mieu is cute so we let him/her/it go and the monster had to die.

Fuck that. I hated and still hate Mieu with a passion after that. It really left me with a very sour note.

Also how the cast acted so high and mighty towards Luke after
Van's betrayal, not considering his situation/condition, and then go gagahahaha towards Anise when she did the same.

I also wanted to strangle Luke
post-change so bad. If only the game has a button that says, "Hey, let's do that!" every time he pathetically whined this and that about redemption or whatever and said that he wanted to kill himself or whatever.

You should maybe spoiler that last part Banana.

Noted :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I can't stop listening to Karma though, both the vocalized and instrumental version.

Edge of a Decision is crack too.

Well, at least Abyss gave me these songs.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Not at the point I'm at, no, but I agree with Banana. I'm fairly convinced that Luke's friends are all the villains in this story.

Hahaha.

They're certainly arseholes, the lot of them.

Anyways, how do you folks feel about the party in Xillia? Do you folks like them? I find them to be mostly agreeable, and Jude is not a bad lead, although he's not popular for some reason? Milla is okay (and certainly being so bloody hot not hurts too), Alvin is great for the most part, Rowen is good where "getting old" shticks actually works and proper unlike characters like Jade or that Sazh from FFXIII, Elize is so adorable (I am weak against cute things, Mieu notwithstanding because fuck Mieu), Teepo is funny sometimes, and Leia.... well, Leia is dear to me, I really love her.

Still not where Vesperia's cast is though, even though a large majority of my fondness for them is caused directly by Yuri and Estelle.

Proven

I hated the Abyss cast. But by the end I loved them. The only cast I might like more is Symphonia's, but Symphonia's average age is lower and it has the issue of nostalgia. It was my first Tales game and it was played while I was in middle school.

Vesperia had a likeable cast, but that was it.

Graces had a comical cast, but that was it.

Xillia had an unoffensive cast, but that was it.

Actually, now that I think about it Xillia probably bugs me the most because it felt like it had the least character+team development overall. Almost all the good stuff was in Milla and Jude's interaction with each other. I'm mostly looking forward to Xillia 2 because I somehow got the notion that they go further with the rest of the cast, especially since trailers made it look like you get Milla and Jude after all the other original cast members join.

I really enjoyed Xillia's cast. Something about them felt more grounded than, say, Graces' party. I still liked Graces' characters, but for the opposite reason.

I also thought Xillia was pretty balanced in terms of character focus. Jude, Milla, Alvin, and Elize all had a ton of development. Leia seemed to get less on Jude's side outside of sub events, but she got quite a decent amount on Milla's playthrough. The only one who could have used a fair bit more was Rowen, and he was still a cool character the entire game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cast wise:

Vesperia > Xillia > or = Symphonia > Graces > literally dying is better than > Abyss

Ahahahahahahaha.

So guys, as a person who haven't played either of them, would it be better for me to get, Graces F or the Symphonia bundle? What's your opinion? FYI, I have *really* high tolerance to generic anime tropes so if either of them has them in abundance I don't think it would be a problem.

Ahahahahahahaha.

So guys, as a person who haven't played either of them, would it be better for me to get, Graces F or the Symphonia bundle? What's your opinion? FYI, I have *really* high tolerance to generic anime tropes so if either of them has them in abundance I don't think it would be a problem.

The cast of Symphonia was fine, I found them mostly likable. None of them struck me as incredibly memorable though. Well maybe a few. You'll have to ask someone else about the cast of Graces F.

"Umm... umm... die!"

"P ...please! Forgive us!"

I didn't ask about their cast, hahaha, I asked which game should I get next :)

Haha, oops. Symphonia was fun. The PS3 bundle will have the extra content from the Japanese PS2 port, so that's a cool bonus. It's at 30fps like the PS2 version, the GC version was 60fps and would slow down. One of my favorite games of the PS2/GC/XBOX generation. I highly reccomend checking it out. I dunno if Graces f is better or not.

Rhapsody

Banned
I didn't ask about their cast, hahaha, I asked which game should I get next :)

If you want something more battle/action-oriented, get Graces f. If you don't mind an older version of Abyss's battle system but like puzzle elements in dungeons, get Symphonia.

Symphonia's probably your safest bet with the Tales games you've played, so that's probably the choice I'd go with.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Haha, oops. Symphonia was fun. The PS3 bundle will have the extra content from the Japanese PS2 port, so that's a cool bonus. It's at 30fps like the PS2 version, the GC version was 60fps and would slow down. One of my favorite games of the PS2/GC/XBOX generation. I highly reccomend checking it out. I dunno if Graces f is better or not.

Hmmmmmmmmm. I am now levitating around between these two, actually... hmmmm.

If you want something more battle/action-oriented, get Graces f. If you don't mind an older version of Abyss's battle system but like puzzle elements in dungeons, get Symphonia.

Symphonia's probably your safest bet with the Tales games you've played, so that's probably the choice I'd go with.

Older version of Abyss's battle system? 2D field, you mean? Kind of like Legendia or Eternia?

How much is Graces f these days? If it's $30 or lower just go ahead and get it now. I much prefer ToS but Graces has a deeper battle system.

I am planning to get the digital version of the game, just like Xillia, and it's 39.99 IIRC, or was it 34.99...?

Anyways, will it be wiser to get Symphonia Box right now and wait later for Graces I wonder, considering what happened back then with Xillia getting a massive discount to just 10 bucks after I bought it for 34.99.... a *massive* kick to my balls >____>

Rhapsody

Banned
Older version of Abyss's battle system? 2D field, you mean? Kind of like Legendia or Eternia?
Abyss minus free run and only having 2 shortcuts available to you for techs. It's still 3D though, it's just you can't manually move to an exact point which makes it difficult to defend your spellcasters. Symphonia DotNW does have Free Run though. That game was actually after Abyss so there's some improvements in that.

Bladenic

Dawn of the New World, despite its issues, is actually really fun to play. Battle system is pretty ace and Emil and Marta are both fun to play as.

PKrockin

Symphonia not having free run is actually a blessing in disguise since it means you can't break the game just by running circles around enemies like in Abyss.

I hated the Abyss cast. But by the end I loved them. The only cast I might like more is Symphonia's, but Symphonia's average age is lower and it has the issue of nostalgia. It was my first Tales game and it was played while I was in middle school.
Symphonia definitely has older characters. Half the cast is in their 20s or 30s.

CorvoSol

Oh of COURSE Guy
has amnesia, too!
Of. Course.

Also gosh dang I can't beat
Arietta
at all. Her Judgment spell or whatever is crushing my party before Tear can cast her pathetic heal spell. Do I need to level up or is there a strategy I need to know?

SaintZ

Oh really... Graces wasn't that horrifying... outside of the Mixer of doom and the Gentleman trophies.

I was hoping for a less tedious platinum for Symphonia

4976.gif

FSLink

Banned
Symphonia not having free run is actually a blessing in disguise since it means you can't break the game just by running circles around enemies like in Abyss.

Still kind of sad that it's not included in the HD port. Yeah, Free Run would break it, but it broke it in Abyss, why not include it as an option?

Proven

Symphonia definitely has older characters. Half the cast is in their 20s or 30s.

From what I remember, these characters were all 16 or under:
Lloyd
Collette
Genis
Zelos
Sheena

And then these were the older characters:
Kratos
Raine
Regal
Presea

So I guess it was more the median than the average, but I felt that because the protagonist was younger, his best friend even younger than him, and Collette being a wonderful ditz half the time, the game was lighthearted more often than in Abyss.

Fake Edit: Checking the wiki, apparently both Luke and Lloyd start off at the same age of 17. Wow.

Symphonia HD platinum is even worse than Graces~

Let me guess, stuff like get 100% of all the items. View every skit in order. Defeat uber boss at level 1 without any damage and in under 5 seconds.

Edit:
And then these were the older characters:
Kratos
Raine
Regal
Presea

What are you talking about, she is obviously 13.

On a serious note finding out she
is older than most of the cast
was really cool. Made things really awkward for Genis.

Let me guess, stuff like get 100% of all the items. View every skit in order. Defeat uber boss at level 1 without any damage and in under 5 seconds.

Get every item, which will require multiple playthrough.

Get all the titles, which involves painfully cooking and more playthroughs for some of them.

It's just a long and boring process.

Get every item, which will require multiple playthrough.

Get all the titles, which involves painfully cooking and more playthroughs for some of them.

It's just a long and boring process.

I don't want to play through multiple times for like 1 different accessory for each playthrough. Yeah that's just silly.

PKrockin

Still kind of sad that it's not included in the HD port. Yeah, Free Run would break it, but it broke it in Abyss, why not include it as an option?
Same reason I don't want a moving while shooting option in RE4, to an extent. I'd rather they fix spellcasters' AI, and that would have required far, far less effort.

Top Bottom