• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

CorvoSol

So even though I think that Luke is a HUGE crybaby and hypocrite thus far, I do think he's raised some good points along the way that people have dismissed unfairly. For instance
his being pissed off at Mieu. Mieu is acting all sugary sweet and Luke points out that Mieu's actions caused people who were completely not involved in the situation to wind up murdering a mother and her children.
That's a fair point and the rest of the cast is all "Don't you think you're being too hard and too mean?"

From a story telling perspective I like that they've taken the time to address that
Luke doesn't want to just dive right into killing people
, but I think that
his party members could've been a bit more understanding about it, although he did basically kill that off when he suddenly switched gears from "I don't want to kill people" to "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME WAAA".

So even though I think that Luke is a HUGE crybaby and hypocrite thus far, I do think he's raised some good points along the way that people have dismissed unfairly. For instance
his being pissed off at Mieu. Mieu is acting all sugary sweet and Luke points out that Mieu's actions caused people who were completely not involved in the situation to wind up murdering a mother and her children.
That's a fair point and the rest of the cast is all "Don't you think you're being too hard and too mean?"

From a story telling perspective I like that they've taken the time to address that
, but I think that
his party members could've been a bit more understanding about it, although he did basically kill that off when he suddenly switched gears from "I don't want to kill people" to "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME WAAA".

I want to say things, but you need to be further in the game :X

demidar

Which is an overall, better game?
Symphonia or graces

They're about equal but different.

Symphonia = story, characters, world
Graces f (I'm assuming the PS3 version) = combat system, character progression (as in increasing character strength, not character personality growth), voiced skits

Milennia

They're about equal but different.

Symphonia = story, characters, world
Graces f (I'm assuming the PS3 version) = combat system, character progression, voiced skits

Ah, thanks.
Im debating on getting either graces f or symphonia chronicles :/
Im coming off of xillia and i have been hearing about symphonia feeling dated in comparison, so i felt the need to ask lol.

demidar

Ah, thanks.
Im debating on getting either graces f or symphonia chronicles :/
Im coming off of xillia and i have been hearing about symphonia feeling dated in comparison, so i felt the need to ask lol.

Well Symphonia has an actual overworld, Graces f has a series of interconnected hallways that it calls an overworld. It all comes down to what you prefer.

I'd say get Vesperia if you can (360 only). You can either find a copy or download it off XBL Games of Demand for $20. Good battle system, best JRPG protagonist, great voice acting, great world, great first 2/3 of a story (though I enjoyed the last 1/3 as well), fantastic cel-shaded artstyle, voiced skits. Downsides include lots of missables and... I'm having a hard time thinking of other negatives.

Milennia

Well Symphonia has an actual overworld, Graces f has a series of interconnected hallways that it calls an overworld. It all comes down to what you prefer.

I'd say get Vesperia if you can (360 only). You can either find a copy or download it off XBL Games of Demand for $20. Good battle system, best JRPG protagonist, great voice acting, great world, great first 2/3 of a story (though I enjoyed the last 1/3 as well), fantastic cel-shaded artstyle, voiced skits. Downsides include lots of missables and... I'm having a hard time thinking of other negatives.

Syphonia Chronicles has 2 games in it for what its worth

I just bought vesperia after the sale :p
Just haven't started it up yet.

I just wanted a newer style tales layout, like xillia.
I suppose vesperia does match it quite well in terms of previous gen tales games, i was just curious as i was reading how poorly the combat has aged in the older titles such as symphonia.

Maybe ill just hold off and run through vesperia first lol, even though i did like what i saw of the second symphonia game, it looked a bit more new age.

catmincer

I'm playing through Vesperia. It's my first Tales game and it's so far really good. I only hate one character so far which is great for a jRPG. I am about 7 hours, they do a really good job in explaining the battle system too and add onto it as you go.

Are there any other older ones I should play afterwards on PSP, DS/3DS? I don't have a PS3 so I can't play any of the newer ones.

, but I think that

Look forward to even more bullshit.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Realizing how bad Threi and Alicia's designs are due to complicated ornaments and crap when compared to something very simple like Raven and Casey from Vesperia. Like.... holy shit.

61uUucctUtL._SS500_.jpg

Realizing how bad Threi and Alicia's designs are due to complicated ornaments and crap when compared to something very simple like Raven and Casey from Vesperia. Like.... holy shit.

You need to join the Church of Asbel Disco Pants kayos.

Only then will you see the light.

kayos90

Abyss had some pretty cool looking characters. Designs were pretty good for the most part. Better than Graces anyway

CorvoSol

Abyss had some pretty cool looking characters. Designs were pretty good for the most part. Better than Graces anyway

Yeah I dunno yet on that. Tear is the only cool looking one so far. Luke is running around with his midriff bare like some kinda 90s valley girl, Jade LOOKS like a girl, and Anise is that kind of dumpy cutesy little girl character I don't care much about anyway. Luke would be cooler with an actual shirt on.

Tear is rad, though. I dig the way her outfit looks kind of like a string instrument motif going on. Fits the whole musical magic thing.

Comparing main characters designs to a NPC and the past version of a playable character wearing the generic solider outift?

PKrockin

It can't be THAT bad.

Can it?
Nah. Well, I didn't think so. While I think they failed the execution in some respects, many aspects and ideas of the story/world were interesting to me. Whereas I found Graces to both fail and be fundamentally boring.

Has there been a Tales game like Abyss that allowed CPU controlled members to activate their Mystic Artes/ Hi Ougis on a frequent basis?

I loved how in Abyss all my party members launched their Mystic Artes during battle and added into the combat frenzy. However in Vesperia, Graces f, and Xillia everyone shares a single meter and the CPU never or very rarely triggers one.

Despite how complete the story was I still wish there's a sequel to Abyss.

Has there been a Tales game like Abyss that allowed CPU controlled members to activate their Mystic Artes/ Hi Ougis on a frequent basis?

I loved how in Abyss all my party members launched their Mystic Artes during battle and added into the combat frenzy. However in Vesperia, Graces f, and Xillia everyone shares a single meter and the CPU never or very rarely triggers one.

Despite how complete the story was I still wish there's a sequel to Abyss.

Allies in Graces have used their hiougis quite a bit while I played. Always ruined my spell casting since it reset everyone.

Never seen it in Xillia, though allies have activated link artes in Xillia 2. Never chains though.

Don't remember Vesperia.

Soriku

Graces had some of the best character designs. I liked everyone's, but particularly Asbel, Pascal, Malik, and Richard.

Abyss' standard character design was IMO Fukushima relying almost too much on his angular direction. It's why Guy looked so cool, he was in effortlessly cool duds without much of any harsh angles.

ZS9QUlu.jpg

Alot of the secret costumes didn't do this either and were nice.

Heyt

Banned
Graces had some of the best character designs. I liked everyone's, but particularly Asbel, Pascal, Malik, and Richard.

I agree, I tend to prefer Inomata's designs. I think they have more personality than Fujishima's most of the time.

CorvoSol

Abyss' standard character design was IMO Fukushima relying almost too much on his angular direction. It's why Guy looked so cool, he was in effortlessly cool duds without much of any harsh angles.

ZS9QUlu.jpg

Alot of the secret costumes didn't do this either and were nice.

Oh yeah, this dude looks okay, mostly 'cuz, unlike Luke, he isn't barin' his midriff.

Bladenic

I vastly prefer Fujishima. Inomata can be good at times but her worst designs are far worse than the worst of Fujishima. Not to mention her obsession with breastplates and exposed midriffs. Also giraffe necks and anorexic girls.

Rhapsody

Banned
For Inomata, I think her best set of character designs came from Tales of Rebirth. Pretty much had the same quality as her ToD designs. I also love some of the covers she does. Innocence and PSP Rebirth stand out to me the most. The only thing I don't like about her art is her choice in colors and Tempest as a whole lol

Fujishima, I always liked his art from AMG. But when it comes to Tales, he pulls a Sakuraba and it almost looks like phoning it in at times (those coattails). ToP is still my favorite from him while ToV comes in second for being less "offensive" in the latest ones. ToV just doesn't look too outlandish to me besides Judith.

Okamura's good when he's not designing villains/non-humans or Emil...

I don't really have a preference though. Each has their highs and lows

Heyt

Banned
Fuskishima tends to be more consisten with the design quality. Inomata is hit or miss, but when she hits she hits harder for me. I honestly like them both. But I am honestly concerned about the series' future designwise. Having both of them for Xillia kind of diluded what makes each special. In Zestiria having 4 people designing characters makes me fear everything will be much more generic in order to all the styles fit together.

I honestly rather have one main designer per game like before so each one has its own personality instead of having just this kind of generic overdesigned anime style.

Bladenic

Fuskishima tends to be more consisten with the design quality. Inomata is hit or miss, but when she hits she hits harder for me. I honestly like them both. But I am honestly concerned about the series' future designwise. Having both of them for Xillia kind of diluded what makes each special. In Zestiria having 4 people designing characters makes me fear everything will be much more generic in order to all the styles fit together.

I honestly rather have one main designer per game like before so each one has its own personality instead of having just this kind of generic overdesigned anime style.

I agree on the points about multiple designers per game. Xillia was cool because it was an anniversary title and both of them did an equal amount of main characters. Having 4 designers for one game doesn't really make much sense.

Datschge

Fuskishima tends to be more consisten with the design quality.

Disagree about that. Fujishima's look ok if generic once normalized through the anime designs done by the animation studios (i.e. Production.I.G and ufotable) which is what we get to see nearly all of the times. But the output by him himself is so horribly all over the place quality wise...

kayos90

Disagree about that. Fujishima's look ok if generic once normalized through the anime designs done by the animation studios (i.e. Production.I.G and ufotable) which is what we get to see nearly all of the times. But the output by him himself is so horribly all over the place quality wise...

I'm still of the opinion that Okumura deserves a whole game to himself. I know people hate Emil's design but Ludger, Julius, Marta, and Elle all look fantastic.

Bladenic

I wouldn't mind that at all, Ludger and Julius are awesome. Don't care for any of the rest. And didn't he redesign the ToX cast for Xillia 2? I thought his redesigns actually looked better than the originals for most of the cast.

kayos90

I wouldn't mind that at all, Ludger and Julius are awesome. Don't care for any of the rest. And didn't he redesign the ToX cast for Xillia 2? I thought his redesigns actually looked better than the originals for most of the cast.

He did not. Fujishima and Inomata did the respective redesigns I believe. Also, Milla=Maxwell in Xillia 2 >>>>>>>>>>>> Xillia 1's. So much.

Bladenic

He did not. Fujishima and Inomata did the respective redesigns I believe. Also, Milla=Maxwell in Xillia 2 >>>>>>>>>>>> Xillia 1's. So much.

Oh okay. I didn't know that. Their faces looked very Okumura in the box art for example. Well regardless, he deserves his own game. Maybe soon.

CorvoSol

Nothing as bad as Shirley from Legendia.

BTW Covo, I'd recommend you play Graces F next. It's not my favorite, but it's got a FFIV feel to the story I think you'd like.

Keeping in mind that I really only have access to and time for hand held games, does that fit the bill?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
How much space Symphonia Chronicles digital Takes?

Im on team Fujishima btw. Wish he did more cause his designs are being a bit lazy.

Seda

I've always liked Chester's design from the various Tales of Phantasia releases. Just some simple leggings and a tunic. Nothing terribly ornate or excessively complex. Not overly colorful either.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Up until now I still have not been able to dismiss the fact that Tales of the Abyss' characters suck. Like, EVERYONE. Luke after-change is *even worse* than Luke pre-change, Tear is cringeworthy, Anise is urggggggggh, Jade trying too hard to be cool while failing miserably at it, Guy... well, Guy was alright but he too had moments where the characters' general suckiness creep on him.

The overall game too... ugh. The story is so fond of throwing all of these new-fangled-mumbo-jumbo to make it look... smart, perhaps? but in the end it was all just hogwash.

I do admit however, that Karma both vocalized and instrumental is probably Tales' best intro song yet--so catchy!--and Edge of a Decision is totally an awesome battle track.

Up until now I still have not been able to dismiss the fact that Tales of the Abyss' characters suck. Like, EVERYONE. Luke after-change is *even worse* than Luke pre-change, Tear is cringeworthy, Anise is urggggggggh, Jade trying too hard to be cool while failing miserably at it, Guy... well, Guy was alright but he too had moments where the characters' general suckiness creep on him.

The overall game too... ugh. The story is so fond of throwing all of these new-fangled-mumbo-jumbo to make it look... smart, perhaps? but in the end it was all just hogwash.

I do admit however, that Karma both vocalized and instrumental is probably Tales' best intro song yet--so catchy!--and Edge of a Decision is totally an awesome battle track.

Sorry you hated it. After playing countless of RPGs where the team never talks to each other and the world remains unchanged (just threatened) I was in awe of Abyss.

I put myself in Lukes shoes and I understood him better. He is mentally
a child
at the start of the game and slowly learns and develops throughout.

It really added to my enjoyment how the characters clicked with me and the game having a ridiculously long length (I think I was an 70 hrs first playthrough).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sorry you hated it. After playing countless of RPGs where the team never talks to each other and the world remains unchanged (just threatened) I was in awe of Abyss.

I put myself in Lukes shoes and I understood him better. He is mentally
a child
at the start of the game and slowly learns and develops throughout.

It really added to my enjoyment how the characters clicked with me and the game having a ridiculously long length (I think I was an 70 hrs first playthrough).

Well, it's been a long while so maybe if I play it again my opinion about the game may change. Playing it in PS2's version with its issues probably exacerbated things. The funny thing is, I actually bought the 3DS version, hahaha, just because when I bought the system the 3DS lack JRPGs which is my favorite genre.

I am just really weird that way, hahaha. Maybe one of these days I'll pop it in my 3DS and play it again.

Red Mage

Keeping in mind that I really only have access to and time for hand held games, does that fit the bill?

Ah, nope. PS3.

How does Graces f have a FF4 feel to the story? I honestly can't see that AT ALL.

It's been over a year since I played it, but off the top of my head...

• Your best friend seems to switch personalities and betray you, however...
  • This is because they're being controlled/manipulated by some evil entity...
  • Who is fueled by raw hatred and...
  • Comes from your planet's celestial neighbor...
  • Who just-so-happens to be responsibile for the development of your planet's magic/technology. Unfortunately...
  • Said society is completely wiped-out/in-stasis when you arrive and so...
  • You travel down to the core of a planet to confront this entity. Luckily, the good guys win and...
  • The story ends on a note of forgiveness/redemption.

Not to mention little things like
sneaking back into your home town/castle via a waterway

I'm not saying the game is a rip off, or that it's even intentional, it's just that they happen to share certain tropes, to the extent that one can pick up on it. Heck, I find there's a lot of similiarities between Symphonia and FFX, but I think Symphonia uses the story elements to a much, much better extent and is a better story all-around.

Top Bottom