• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Heyt

Banned
I'm still of the opinion that Okumura deserves a whole game to himself. I know people hate Emil's design but Ludger, Julius, Marta, and Elle all look fantastic.

I completely agree with this. I am also a big fan of Decus' desing. Having 3 designers "take turns" to design each game in the franchise or choose the based on what kind of game are they doing would be something I would like to see.

CorvoSol

Just got Guy last night and while I appreciate that the party made some attempts at being understanding that Luke wasn't gungho about choppin' folks up, it still sorta feels like they force him to do it. Especially Jade, who is the king of smarmy bastards.

That said there is just no way that Guy's arrival wasn't suspicious. "Oh I just happened to see this stopped ship that belongs to the enemy and decided to jump aboard all by myself on the off chance you would be on it and am now completely unaffected by having to work with an enemy commander and the myriad alterations to the political landscape that are being proposed to me here. Yup. Just a loyal servant. Not suspicious at all."

tauke

I know the Xbox Live Deals of the Week is coming to an end soon but I wonder if anyone can help me purchase Vesperia?

Thing is I do not have an Xbox 360 and knowing it is hard to get a physical copy of it, I thought of at least adding it into my library. Anyone in the US care to help me? (my region is not officially supported)

My Xbox account is actually the Games for Windows Live account.

Bladenic

Ah, nope. PS3.

It's been over a year since I played it, but off the top of my head...

• Your best friend seems to switch personalities and betray you, however...
  • This is because they're being controlled/manipulated by some evil entity...
  • Who is fueled by raw hatred and...
  • Comes from your planet's celestial neighbor...
  • Who just-so-happens to be responsibile for the development of your planet's magic/technology. Unfortunately...
  • Said society is completely wiped-out/in-stasis when you arrive and so...
  • You travel down to the core of a planet to confront this entity. Luckily, the good guys win and...
  • The story ends on a note of forgiveness/redemption.

Not to mention little things like
sneaking back into your home town/castle via a waterway

I'm not saying the game is a rip off, or that it's even intentional, it's just that they happen to share certain tropes, to the extent that one can pick up on it. Heck, I find there's a lot of similiarities between Symphonia and FFX, but I think Symphonia uses the story elements to a much, much better extent and is a better story all-around.

I guess I can see that now, but I never thought about it during play. On the other hand I definitely thought ToS was FFX's plot during the first half, more or less.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Symphonia also has the coffee scene which is the best goddamned thing ever.

The laughing scene is iconic. But then Symphonia has the coffee scene, also iconic.

Coffee scene even has a shirt. I was saying Symphonia was better. :p
lloyd_irving_shirt___i_lied__it__s_actually_hot_by_a745-d4w3zj8.jpg

What gets me even more is
when she drops the cup and it sounds like it's empty. So not only was the coffee actually hot, it also doesn't exist.

Goddamn jedi mind tricks.

Datschge

I'm still of the opinion that Okumura deserves a whole game to himself. I know people hate Emil's design but Ludger, Julius, Marta, and Elle all look fantastic.

He kind of got them with Abyss and Xillia 2 (and Symphonia 2, but that was a mismatch). Personally I think Okumura's is a tad too modern and "cool" to fit the usual Tales style unless the whole world building is more modern as well (as is the case with Abyss and Xillia 2). Of the in-house designers Iwamoto with his more fantasy bound design style would be a better fit otherwise.

Bladenic

He kind of got them with Abyss and Xillia 2 (and Symphonia 2, but that was a mismatch). Personally I think Okumura's is a tad too modern and "cool" to fit the usual Tales style unless the whole world building is more modern as well (as is the case with Abyss and Xillia 2). Of the in-house designers Iwamoto with his more fantasy bound design style would be a better fit otherwise.

Abyss? Huh?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
"
Still, Lloyd was given too much crap; he's kind of like Jude that way: he is what he is.
Lloyd is pretty much like Jude but more cliche on his development. He is still likeable IMO and his design is nice but he does have some douchebag moments that are mostly unintentional.

Heyt

Banned
I never liked Lloyd, he was "too perfect" and his level of idealism was pretty stupid. The thing that hurted me the most is that the other members of the party felt for it as underdeveloped it was :/

I never liked Lloyd, he was "too perfect" and his level of idealism was pretty stupid. The thing that hurted me the most is that the other members of the party felt for it as underdeveloped it was :/

Symphonia had too many characters, all had decent foundations but often times felt like they were still tagging along for no good reason

CorvoSol

Tales of the Abyss

So I am headed toward Kaitzur now. Couple of thoughts.

1) Guy is definitely going to betray me or is at the very least hiding something from me. Also when did Gynophobia get so big in JRPGs? I mean Lon'qu had it in FEA, too.

2) It amazes me how Luke can spend half the time being the most reasonable member of the team and the other half of the time he absorbs the collective asshole of the entire party. It's nuts.

3) Likewise, Jade varies from smarmy bastard to the guy who always says what I am thinking depending on how Luke is at the moment.

4)The Six God Generals are horrible. What kind of fucking Church employs dudes named "Asch the Bloody" and "Dist the Reaper"? Who would join that Church?

5) The dumbest line in the entire game thus far: "How do we know she's not a spy for Mohs!?" Considering the line immediately preceding this is "I am definitely working for Master Mohs." it's just really, really dumb.

6) I fucking hate Ion. He's useless. His voice annoys me. He looks hideous. When does he die so I don't have to deal with his "That's confidential to the ooooooooooordeeeeeer" shit anymore?

Bladenic

Tales of the Abyss

So I am headed toward Kaitzur now. Couple of thoughts.

1) Guy is definitely going to betray me or is at the very least hiding something from me. Also when did Gynophobia get so big in JRPGs? I mean Lon'qu had it in FEA, too.

2) It amazes me how Luke can spend half the time being the most reasonable member of the team and the other half of the time he absorbs the collective asshole of the entire party. It's nuts.

3) Likewise, Jade varies from smarmy bastard to the guy who always says what I am thinking depending on how Luke is at the moment.

4)The Six God Generals are horrible. What kind of fucking Church employs dudes named "Asch the Bloody" and "Dist the Reaper"? Who would join that Church?

5) The dumbest line in the entire game thus far: "How do we know she's not a spy for Mohs!?" Considering the line immediately preceding this is "I am definitely working for Master Mohs." it's just really, really dumb.

6) I fucking hate Ion. He's useless. His voice annoys me. He looks hideous. When does he die so I don't have to deal with his "That's confidential to the ooooooooooordeeeeeer" shit anymore?

This post reminds how many of Abyss' characters I hated, and just how much I hated them too. Ugh.

Rhapsody

Banned
I feel lucky I played the game first in Japanese. It didn't help the script, but I wasn't bothered with the characters as much with the original voice acting like other people.

CorvoSol

I feel lucky I played the game first in Japanese. It didn't help the script, but I wasn't bothered with the characters as much with the original voice acting like other people.

Ion's is the only voice I don't like so far. Everybody else's voice feels fine. Especially since Luke and Guy are voiced by veteran voice actors.

Seda

Guy does have a reason to be afraid of women, it's not just a random trait. (although whether or not you think the explanation is sensible is another thing)

Guy does have a reason to be afraid of women, it's not just a random trait. (although whether or not you think the explanation is sensible is another thing)

I thought that was a bit contrived, I can understand phobias emerging from such an ordeal but the phobia he was inflicted with just seemed like...the wrong one.

But it's not that unbelievable.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Finished Xillia's Jude Story at 60 hours. Now contemplating whether I should go NG+ on Milla's side of story *or* play a new Tales of game. Any recommendations if I decide to take the latter option?

I have played and completed: Tales of Phantasia, Eternia, Vesperia, Abyss, and now Xillia. I have access to PS3, Xbox360, PSP, DS, 3DS, and Vita.

Finished Xillia's Jude Story at 60 hours. Now contemplating whether I should go NG+ on Milla's side of story *or* play a new Tales of game. Any recommendations if I decide to take the latter option?

I have played and completed: Tales of Phantasia, Eternia, Vesperia, Abyss, and now Xillia. I have access to PS3, Xbox360, PSP, DS, 3DS, and Vita.
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is getting released soon if you don't mind waiting a month. There's also Graces f in you're in the mood for something more recent with an amazing battle system.

You could run through Milla's side on NG+ really quick if you ignore all the side quests, though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Which is basically the same of Lon'qu, but amplified 100 fold. Definitely one of the moments in Abyss where I felt the writers were trying too hard to be "hardcore" and "edgy."

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is getting released soon if you don't mind waiting a month. There's also Graces f in you're in the mood for something more recent with an amazing battle system.

You could run through Milla's side on NG+ really quick if you ignore all the side quests, though.

I have never played Symphonia before, hmmmmmmm. Has it been confirmed to have an English release?

Oh, I forgot, I do have access to Wii so I can also play that Symphonia sequel. Don't know whether it's good or not, although I do have a policy not to play sequels before its predecessors.

I have never played Symphonia before, hmmmmmmm. Has it been confirmed to have an English release?

Oh, I forgot, I do have access to Wii so I can also play that Symphonia sequel. Don't know whether it's good or not, although I do have a policy not to play sequels before its predecessors.
When I said it's coming out next month, I meant the English release. =p

It includes both Symphonia and its sequel.

Which is basically the same of Lon'qu, but amplified 100 fold. Definitely one of the moments in Abyss where I felt the writers were trying too hard to be "hardcore" and "edgy."

I wouldn't play S2 without playing the original, much of s2's characters and story assumes you played s1. I'd say if you have a ps3 go play graces f for its gameplay alone

Rhapsody

Banned
It's a good example to show that games don't always need explanations for weird character quirks.
Wasn't really too fond how it was all handled. Just seemed weird.

ToS Chronicles comes out next month in the US. 40 dollars for both the ToS and its sequel.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
When I said it's coming out next month, I meant the English release. =p

It includes both Symphonia and its sequel.

ToS Chronicles comes out next month in the US. 40 dollars for both the ToS and its sequel.

I wouldn't play S2 without playing the original, much of s2's characters and story assumes you played s1. I'd say if you have a ps3 go play graces f for its gameplay alone

Oooh, it also include Dawn of Symphonia? Alright, sweet. I've heard many good things about Symphonia, the 1st one, but I never had access to Gamecube so I never played it. Looking forward to it.

It's a good example to show that games don't always need explanations for weird character quirks.

Indeed. They're just trying too hard to push that "tragedy" atmosphere, but in the end all they succeeded was making it look silly. Well, my opinion anyways.

Wierd, I always thought it was the execution on that was wierd. Like it should be refuses to get close physically with anyone period.

Wierd, I always thought it was the execution on that was wierd. Like it should be refuses to get close physically with anyone period.

Exactly. That's why I said I feel like he had the wrong phobia.

Really it seems like he should just have general PTSD from such an event. Gynophobia is a bit too specific.

CorvoSol

Exactly. That's why I said I feel like he had the wrong phobia.

Really it seems like he should just have general PTSD from such an event. Gynophobia is a bit too specific.

Like I said: Is Gynophobia just a funny, popular thing in JRPGs now? Cuz Lon'qu didn't need to have gynophobia from his trauma, either.

Like I said: Is Gynophobia just a funny, popular thing in JRPGs now? Cuz Lon'qu didn't need to have gynophobia from his trauma, either.

Saying a thing means there needs to be more examples and not two that happen to appear in games that were released years apart from each other.

CorvoSol

Saying a thing means there needs to be more examples and not two that happen to appear in games that were released years apart from each other.

I'm not trying to prove it is one, I'm asking if it is one. It's weird enough that it should happen twice identically, especially if separated by time.

I'm not trying to prove it is one, I'm asking if it is one. It's weird enough that it should happen twice identically, especially if separated by time.

But Lon'qu's and Guy's fear of women is completely different from each other as well.

Lon'qu actively dislikes women but doesn't back off if a girl touches him. He just snarls back.

Guy doesn't actively dislikes women but is still rather flirty with them at times. But his phobia causes him to back off from women if they get close.

The execution is different and hell one dislikes girls and the other is just scared of being touched by girls.

I mean it's basically a character trait and with the large amounts of jRPGs out there, it isn't uncommon to find a character having the same character trait as someone else by now.

CorvoSol

But Lon'qu's and Guy's fear of women is completely different from each other as well.

Lon'qu actively dislikes women but doesn't back off if a girl touches him.
He just snarls back.

Guy doesn't actively dislikes women but is still rather flirty with them at times. But his phobia causes him to back off from women if they get close.

The execution is different and hell one dislikes girls and the other is just scared of being touched by girls.

I mean it's basically a character trait and with the large amounts of jRPGs out there, it isn't uncommon to find a character having the same character trait as someone else by now.

I distinctly remember Lon'qu wigging out when touched by women. He only chills out around them during battle.

I'm thinking about finally starting a Tales game. Which should I start with? I have all of the US releases plus Phantasia (on PS1). I'm kinda leaning Vesperia.

Top Bottom