• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

I don't care much about Limited Editions for many games. But I do for Tales, because I love the Tales series and I want to collect everything I can related to it.

Tales has made me realize what it's like to be a fan who becomes absorbed in a franchise. I don't think there's many franchises I feel that way towards. I don't know why I feel this way about Tales, but something about the series just really resonates with me, it's my favourite Japanese RPG franchise.

Red Mage

The main party building is the monsters you capture, outside of Emil and Marta.

You get the Symphonia cast as effectively "guests" periodically throughout the game, with all of them sticking around at the end. While they are good enough to beat the game with (I think), their levels are capped so they are not that useful for the post-game dungeons if you are interested in those.

How is the monster system? Dragon Quest V made me love these sort of party set up.

Levyne

Banned
Unfortunately I haven't played DQV so I don't know that. If I remember right sometimes the evolution of the monsters was a little awkward. It's very item based, involving feeding them and sometimes even giving them something to hold so that they level up. The game I think does a crappy job of explaining how you catch them, or at the very least I remember a haivng to remind myself online. It involves the elements of Emils attacks and of the monsters.

So I guess the idea is okay but perhaps a little awkwardly implemented.

How is the monster system? Dragon Quest V made me love these sort of party set up.

I haven't played either game in awhile but IIRC monsters were kind of all over the place in DotnW. It was very easy to have an incredibly over powered monster that could steam roll most foes in his way in DotnW... when the ai was agreeable. Monsters stay useful longer then they did in DQV where by the end I don't recall having any monsters on my team.

PKrockin

I haven't played either game in awhile but IIRC monsters were kind of all over the place in DotnW. It was very easy to have an incredibly over powered monster that could steam roll most foes in his way in DotnW... when the ai was agreeable. Monsters stay useful longer then they did in DQV where by the end I don't recall having any monsters on my team.
Until you evolve it and it becomes a complete piece of shit.

FSLink

Banned
Were monsters worth using in Narikiri Dungeon X? I used them early on in the game but stopped in later chapters because having the rest of the Phantasia cast is just more fun.

Proven

From what I remember, the monster catching and evolving system was similar to the Fatal Strike system in Vesperia mixed with Pokemon.

Gonna cancel my ToS HD collectors edition, I have the money but I'd rather save it. No exclusive CE dlc and I already own both games and the few new features just aren't enticing enough right now. Will be the first Tales game I haven't purchased at launch since Legendia

Jucksalbe

Banned
For anyone who suffered through it: How do you get the AI in Tales of the Tempest to reliably heal you in battle? I've set the Artes and sometimes, very rarely, Rubia also uses them, but in the last boss fight I was almost killed because she didn't want to use them and I didn't see a way to cast them manually.

FSLink

Banned
For anyone who suffered through it: How do you get the AI in Tales of the Tempest to reliably heal you in battle? I've set the Artes and sometimes, very rarely, Rubia also uses them, but in the last boss fight I was almost killed because she didn't want to use them and I didn't see a way to cast them manually.

I thought the point was that the healing AI in that game is terrible no matter what? lol

Only give her healing moves

Jucksalbe

Banned
Only give her healing moves
I just tried this for a few battles, result: she just stands around, hits enemies with her staff when she feels like it and it seems there's a 10% chance she will heal someone when he needs it. She certainly had no problems letting people die. This game is a mess.

I just tried this for a few battles, result: she just stands around, hits enemies with her staff when she feels like it and it seems there's a 10% chance she will heal someone when he needs it. She certainly had no problems letting people die. This game is a mess.

I've ironically had the opposite problem when I played of her spamming first aid constantly till she ran out of tp then she ran forward to whack things and died, Tempest is a joke

Jucksalbe

Banned
Almost 10 hours into my first Tales game (Xillia) and I still haven't got a single trophy.

There are a lot of trophies for doing some move n number of times. That means you'll get most of them toward the end of the game. But with 10 hours in, you should at least soon unlock the one for reaching chapter 2.

Curufinwe

Thanks. I didn't even know there were chapters. I got it for $10 in that January sale but have only played sporadically so it feels like I'm not making much progress.

SaintZ

Heh, who thought that Mieu yelling "MIEU MIEU MIEU MIEU" every time you used the sorcerer's ring was a good idea? Thanks god I just left the forest.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I still need to finish Abyss. I stopped after
Luke learns he is a clone.
I couldnt take the insufferable cast but I have to finish it for the sake of finishing it. If I could finish Graces which actually had a bad story then I can finish this one.

FSLink

Banned
I couldnt take the insufferable cast but I have to finish it for the sake of finishing it. If I could finish Graces which actually had a bad story then I can finish this one.

At least make it to the cameo battle. That's the best one in the series imo.

Honestly Luke learning
he's a clone
is the turning point where Abyss' plot got a lot better imo

CorvoSol

Tales of the Abyss

You know what this game's major problem is? It drops crazy hard to remember terminology at gunfire pace nonstop. I mean, I guess the idea is to make me feel as lost as Luke does, because holy shit I can't keep this wonky phone magic isotropic decimal point frequency nonsense straight. FF13 at its worst couldn't hope to use as many difficult to keep straight terms as this game, and the in game explanations for it are just that much worse.

Like, is there a point to this shit or am I just being made to listen to blah blah blah technobabble nonstop in this game?

And I'm sick of being on boats that get attacked. This has to be at least the third or fourth time. Shit's like clockwork.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Like, is there a point to this shit or am I just being made to listen to blah blah blah technobabble nonstop in this game?

Sure, it makes sense (as much as magic stuff makes sense), if you read through the details. I think there was a library somewhere in the game that explained a little more backgrounds. It's definitely a lot better thought-out than FF XIII.

Tales of the Abyss

You know what this game's major problem is? It drops crazy hard to remember terminology at gunfire pace nonstop. I mean, I guess the idea is to make me feel as lost as Luke does, because holy shit I can't keep this wonky phone magic isotropic decimal point frequency nonsense straight. FF13 at its worst couldn't hope to use as many difficult to keep straight terms as this game, and the in game explanations for it are just that much worse.

And I'm sick of being on boats that get attacked. This has to be at least the third or fourth time. Shit's like clockwork.

I never had a problem following Abyss's technobabble, it's about the same as every other tales game what are you not able to understand? There are some things the game does keep you in the dark on deliberately and the rest Tear usually explains to Luke so he can be audience proxy

Thorgal

Tales of the Abyss

Exactly !
The devs likely wanted you to experience the world just like Luke did :Thrown in suddenly with nary any knowledge of the world and how it spins.
Just like Luke ,you have no clue what everyone is talking about and what any of these terms mean (hence having a party member try and explain it to Luke and thereby , You) even though most of those are part of life and totally commonplace .

SaintZ

Tales of the Abyss

OMG THIS.

It felt like they wanted to distance themselves from the usual tales terms by adding the fone crap. Fon Master, Fonist, The Score, The Seveth Fonon fasljdslfs. I'm digesting it better now but at the beginning I was like
waq685xu9z.gif

I just beat Arietta. So far Luke has been less annoying but I still want to punch him in the throat every time he tells someone to shut up.

CorvoSol

I never had a problem following Abyss's technobabble, it's about the same as every other tales game what are you not able to understand? There are some things the game does keep you in the dark on deliberately and the rest Tear usually explains to Luke so he can be audience proxy

My problem is that there's TOO many terms to keep track of. Final Fantasy games usually drop like, four in your lap and call it a day. Same with SMT. Like "Espers are magical creatures. Magitek is machinery made by sucking their juices. Magicite is the crystalized remains of an Esper. The Warring Triad are the Gods of Magic." "The Gauntlet lets me summon Demons. A Demonica is a suit of armor with a Gauntlet built in."

But in this game it's like "Fonic layers have a sentience with a name and there's a hidden Fonon which is a kind of magical song that also makes up these layers I guess and these rocks are Fonstones which are from the Fon layers and a Fonist uses all of this by opening their Fonslots and then singing their fonjuice into a foncup which is just a cup but we stuck fon on it to remind you that SOUND IS MAGIC in this game."

Sometimes it isn't even that the terms are hard to understand on their own, its that they're completely unnecessary terms for concepts that don't need them. At other points, though, it's absurd to expect a player to remember what the fuck a Daathic Fonic Arte is.

Vamphuntr

Daath is a town in the game, Ion's hometown to be more precise hence Daathic fonic artes and Daathic seals.

I really don't understand that complaint especially if you played other tales games. They always come up with new terms to spice things up. Most of the terms aren't hard to understand since they are explained to you by a character in the game.

It's much different from FFXIII as all the characters in that game name drop a bunch of terms without explaining their meaning or significance to you. You have to read a bunch of pages in the data log to understand what is going on. I don't think you can't say the same for TotA. Ion, Tear or Jade explain everything to Luke.

CorvoSol

Daath is a town in the game, Ion's hometown to be more precise hence Daathic fonic artes and Daathic seals.

I really don't understand that complaint especially if you played other tales games.

I have never played any other Tales games. Tales of the Abyss is my first game in the series. And sure, maybe FF12 drops a bunch of names, because that's become an increasing problem in Final Fantasy over the years, but that really doesn't excuse Tales of the Abyss for its awful technobabble.

Top Bottom