• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

SaintZ

Heh and I feel that they all justify his behavior with "Well he's been sheltered his whole life/lost his memory".

What kind of upbringing did he have? Natalia is the PRINCESS and she's not insufferable.

PKrockin

My list for story would probably be something like:

Xillia 2 > Vesperia > Xillia 1 > Symphonia = Abyss* > Destiny > Hearts > Legendia > Eternia > Phantasia > Innocence > DotNW > Destiny 2 = Graces >>>> Tempest > Rebirth

* Abyss I feel has a better story and better developed cast overall than Symphonia but the pacing really kills it for me.
I generally agree with this, making a distinction between story and characters and only counting games I've played to completion.

Vesperia > Abyss > Symphonia = Xillia >> Eternia > DotNW >> Graces

I should replay Eternia sometime. The plot was probably better than I gave it credit for and I was just soured on it by the characters and voice acting.

Rhapsody

Banned
My list for story would probably be something like:

Xillia 2 > Vesperia > Xillia 1 > Symphonia = Abyss* > Destiny > Hearts > Legendia > Eternia > Phantasia > Innocence > DotNW > Destiny 2 = Graces >>>> Tempest > Rebirth

* Abyss I feel has a better story and better developed cast overall than Symphonia but the pacing really kills it for me.

I'm a bit biased for Phantasia, so for me it's a bit higher up. Although I do know it's pretty much nowhere near what was originally planned.
The biggest weakness for me were the party members (which I still liked).

Everything else I pretty much agree with. Innocence had an interesting premise too, but it's been awhile.

aravuus

I generally agree with this, making a distinction between story and characters and only counting games I've played to completion.

Vesperia > Abyss > Symphonia = Xillia >> Eternia > DotNW >> Graces

I should replay Eternia sometime. The plot was probably better than I gave it credit for and I was just soured on it by the characters and voice acting.

Great, someone with practically exactly the same list as mine! Can't wait to put Xillia 2 after Abyss, maybe even between Abyss and Vesperia

Proven

Xillia 2 has a good story huh... I'm mainly interested in it to see how Leia and Alvin continued with their lives. And the trailer made Jude look like a mad scientist so I'm kinda interested in that too.

SaintZ

I just got to that point and actually thought it was really poorly done.
the writing and music really made it sound like it's supposed to be a twist that Van is a villain and that Luke is being manipulated and going to cause harm. Unfortunately, that was incredibly obvious and easy to see coming (Tear even outright states that if Luke is going to keep acting like Van's dog, he's going to do something horrible that he can't take back), which in turn made that scene fall flat. Then a random kid died to increase drama. Oh no I guess. Here's an obligatory ;_; . Marble's scene in Symphonia was a much better scene in that regard
Heh,
the child getting killed didn't get me sad or anything, it was just so out of the blue. I forget that Tales can be "graphic" even with its anime/cutesy aestheic. The thing that made mad was Luke trusting Van and doing EVERYTHING he said even after confessing that he was the one who kidnapped him *facepalm* and every time he mentioned the "hero" crap. UGH. Thanks god he starts getting better from that point.

FSLink posted something about Abyss pacing and jesus, I just
fought Sync after arriving to the core.
Everything I had to do to get to that point was awful:
Go to Baticul and convice the King to stop the war, go to Gran Chokmah and convice the King to sign the treaty oh no Dist stole the Albiore flying thingy, go to Daath and retrieve it, go to Chesedonia and talk to Aston, go back to Sheridan to check on the Tartarus... aahdkajalkla
It was like an interactive movie and not fun at all =.=

Bladenic

I guess I could rank the Tales stories, but I much prefer casts as opposed to the stories. Rebirth does have a shitty story, but I really liked the cast, so I don't mind (plus the incredible battle system oh my god). Plus as I get older I care less and less for stories in any video game.

I'm pretty excited for Xillia 2's localization, I look forward to playing it in English.

FSLink

Banned
I guess I could rank the Tales stories, but I much prefer casts as opposed to the stories. Rebirth does have a shitty story, but I really liked the cast, so I don't mind (plus the incredible battle system oh my god). Plus as I get older I care less and less for stories in any video game.

I'm pretty excited for Xillia 2's localization, I look forward to playing it in English.

Yeah Rebirth's cast, and general gameplay/Team Destiny goodness makes the game amazing regardless of its story.

LuuKyK

I need Xillia 2 in my life. Can't be too far from releasing in the west now, can it? I know Namco's localizations are slow but come on. >_>

I'm not expecting a release date for Xillia 2 anytime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of update within the next month now that Symphonia Chronicles is out the door.

SaintZ

Fuck my life, I deleted my Abyss file and now I have to restart again, a fucking mess. My brother started playing it and he left the 3DS with his save file running. I tried to load mine but instead hit "save" without me noticing and rewrote it.

I don't feel like playing for a while :(

Levyne

Banned
Anyone know when Xillia 2 is suppose to release? I haven't heard a thing. I'm hoping this summer.

I'm thinking it will be something like September. I don't really have a basis for that, it's pretty much a blind guess. Summer just seems too soon if it hasn't been announced yet (well, maybe late summer like August)

Bladenic

Fuck my life, I deleted my Abyss file and now I have to restart again, a fucking mess. My brother started playing it and he left the 3DS with his save file running. I tried to load mine but instead hit "save" without me noticing and rewrote it.

I don't feel like playing for a while :(

Oh my gosh, that's so annoying and sad. I'm sorry :(

I doubt I would even want to start over for like years (or in Abyss' case, never).

For those who have played ToX2

How large of a roll does Leia & Alvin have?

Those two are my most fav characters from ToX

Only got up to Chapter 10 or so, but uh average enough?

Your characters are usually preselected for the main chapters so everyone gets some time to shine and there are optional character episodes you can do for everyone so it's not anyone gets that shafted in focus.

Bladenic

For those who have played ToX2

How large of a roll does Leia & Alvin have?

Those two are my most fav characters from ToX

Pretty good. Although it's important to note that none of the returning characters have a large focus in the main story other than Jude and Milla, but the character episodes help give everyone their chance to shine.

I really wish they would have included that cut story about
Leia never having been born and the world and other characters being the same.
Would have tied nicely to her character arc and role in the first game.

cafemomo

Oh nice, thanks for the responses. I'm getting ToX2 next month, can't wait to play it. I kinda wanna be spoiled on it though, I'm assuming in ToX2,
even though rieze maxia & elympios are "together" they still act bitter to each other and on the verge of war?

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh nice, thanks for the responses. I'm getting ToX2 next month, can't wait to play it. I kinda wanna be spoiled on it though, I'm assuming in ToX2,
even though rieze maxia & elympios are "together" they still act bitter to each other and on the verge of war?

From what I remember, not really. There are some people that feel that way in the side chapters, but that's not the story's focus.

Hey, TalesGAF! I'm in need of some advice on tackling the Japanese version of Vesperia.

I've wanted to play this for a while, but I sold my 360 a few months back and don't really want to get a new one, so I ordered the PS3 version off ebay after I found out there is no hope for an English release.

So far I've found this guide, but I was curious to see what others have used to get through the game.

(And I know about the translation patch but the websites last update was like 4 years ago, so I don't really have much faith in them finishing it.)

Thanks!

Rhapsody

Banned
Hey, TalesGAF! I'm in need of some advice on tackling the Japanese version of Vesperia.

I've wanted to play this for a while, but I sold my 360 a few months back and don't really want to get a new one, so I ordered the PS3 version off ebay after I found out there is no hope for an English release.

So far I've found this guide, but I was curious to see what others have used to get through the game.

(And I know about the translation patch but the websites last update was like 4 years ago, so I don't really have much faith in them finishing it.)

Thanks!
I used Kouli's guide for PS3 vesperia. Covers pretty much all the titles, giganto monsters, and even labels what's new content.
http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html
http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10343547508.html

It doesn't go into detail on the events, so hopefully you've played the English version before.

As for the Telescopic Graveyard dungeon, use this map http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t390/castagnier/vesperia_zps2a6eb191.jpg
It's not going to make sense until you get there, but you'll want to reach areas that are marked Special since there are rare items there.

FSLink

Banned
The Kouli guide is what I used as well. Also reference the Aselia wiki for skills. Found that really useful while playing.

The ToX thread seems dead so I'll post my question here. I have 5,170 Grade. This is what I'm picking for now:

Inherit Devil's Arms: 500
Double Experience: 300
Double Gald: 300
Double Material Points: 300
Double Item Drops: 500
Inherit Material Items: 500
Max Item Capacity: 99: 1000
Inherit Are Usage: 100

3500 points used so far.
I'm doing the title for 90 sub-events next playthrough on Unknown. Can I wing it without Inherit Accessories? Do I need Inherit Skill Items or doing the sub events will make me run through most of it again. Completed 61 sub-events, gathered 60 Aifreed Treasures and over 800 random treasures already. Shop levels are all at 80.
I can get another 1300 grade to my score just leveling up my party 5 more levels, 3 for Elize and get all the 275 monsters title.
Not getting the Double damage nor the Triple Crit one. A friend of mine said it was hell on Unknown.
Was contemplating getting Skill SP 1 haha.

demidar

The ToX thread seems dead so I'll post my question here. I have 5,170 Grade. This is what I'm picking for now:

3500 points used so far.
I'm doing the title for 90 sub-events next playthrough on Unknown. Can I wing it without Inherit Accessories? Do I need Inherit Skill Items or doing the sub events will make me run through most of it again. Completed 61 sub-events, gathered 60 Aifreed Treasures and over 800 random treasures already. Shop levels are all at 80.
I can get another 1300 grade to my score just leveling up my party 5 more levels, 3 for Elize and get all the 275 monsters title.
Not getting the Double damage nor the Triple Crit one. A friend of mine said it was hell on Unknown.

Is there really any reason to get Max Item Capacity 99?

I used Kouli's guide for PS3 vesperia. Covers pretty much all the titles, giganto monsters, and even labels what's new content.
http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html
http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10343547508.html

It doesn't go into detail on the events, so hopefully you've played the English version before.

As for the Telescopic Graveyard dungeon, use this map http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t390/castagnier/vesperia_zps2a6eb191.jpg
It's not going to make sense until you get there, but you'll want to reach areas that are marked Special since there are rare items there.

The Kouli guide is what I used as well. Also reference the Aselia wiki for skills. Found that really useful while playing.

This is actually my first time playing the game in any capacity.

Thanks again guys! I think I've got enough to get me though the game.

3500 points used so far.

If you are carrying over the devil arms, I say get Double Damage and Triple Crit. Only at some times (mostly boss battles) where everything goes chaotic, but it really helps makes the battles go by a lot faster and dunno, made it a lot more fun for me since the boss fights in Xillia 1 are such a chore.

Don't bother with inheriting material items though. You'll pick up and get enough just from double item drops and you'll easily max out the shops from double material points.

Carrying accessories is good if you want easy money at the start but it's not all that needed from material drops and such.

You'll get the skill items back if you are going to do all the side-events/hunt down everything again so it's up to you.

If you are willing to get those remaining grade points, I say special items, double gague growth and fashion items could be a good thing to get as well.

Is there really any reason to get Max Item Capacity 99?

Well with double items, you'll be swimming in gels very quickly and will probably be tossing away the items you find in the field faster than you can use them.

99 healing items seems like total overkill (don't materials stack to 99 anyway?).

Well yeah, but if you have double item drops, the game will be pretty much be tossing them at you.

It lessens the need to keep tossing gels away cause you hit the max and I guess gives you an additional money source since you have a bunch of gels you'll never know what to do with, lol.

I guess I just like it cause I always been a packrat in item hoarding.

Proven

Huh? It's consistent. He hates one thing, so he's doing something to get rid of that thing, and replacing it with something that he will mold to act differently.

Rhapsody

Banned
ah I see.

do you prefer ToX2 over ToX (or vice versa) ?

I liked ToX2 more. The story and ending was really good for a Tales, and the side chapters for the characters was nice to give everyone a spotlight at some point. I'm mixed on the pacing though. It's better and worse at the same time. Hunting monsters to pay of the debt kind of breaks pacing, but the main chapters are good and get intense the further you go.

PKrockin

Most people do the coliseum around 50, I think.

• Juke enemies with Free Run to make an opening whenever possible
  • Have a good recipe to cook between battles
  • Save your overlimit and mystic arte for that flock of asshole birds
  • Have Grass (green) chambers on Lucky and Steel to heal, Carmine (red) chambers on Center, Heal and First Aid to heal more
  • I would try avoiding using your offensive artes with some characters as it just takes away from TP that can be used to easily heal
  • For Anise, get the Ant Lion Man Doll
If you really want to cheese the hell out of it, you can just equip HP regeneration stuff and Free Run around enemies for a while when necessary. I'm guessing this is what made them add a time limit to Vesperia's coliseum.

PKrockin

I don't remember Natalia and Tear being too bad since their physical attack has plenty of range for hit and run tactics. Jade was tougher since he has no way to heal himself outside of accessories IIRC, but if you get a Sunlight Chamber on Thunder Lance the Thunder Lance -> Lightning Tempest combo makes it easier.

I thought you could cook between coliseum battles. Are you sure? I looked up a Youtube video and the cooking option shows up on the results screen. Did you not have any recipes set or something?

PKrockin

They mostly only start showing up late in the game and you don't get too many of them, but they're only really useful on a few artes. If you want more you can repeatedly steal from Sword Dancer 3 and run away.

If you've got a shortcut set for Jade to cook something and it's not showing up in Jade's advanced singles coliseum battle result screens, I'm not sure what's up with that.

Well, just realized the master character titles require level 99. Yeah, no way am I'm doing that on my first playthrough. Got 5420 Grade and decided to get:

Inherit Shop Levels 1000
Max Item Capacity: 99 1000
Inherit Devil's Arms 500
5x Experience 2000
Double Gald 300
Double Item Drops 500
Inherit Are Usage 100

Might as well pick up everything since I'm doing the sub events trophy anyway. Gonna breeze through it as fast as I can.

Yawnier

Banned
Just bought Graces f on PSN this evening, looking forward to trying out it's combat system after having finished ToS. Going in with low expectations for the story and cast though.

Labadal

Just bought Graces f on PSN this evening, looking forward to trying out it's combat system after having finished ToS. Going in with low expectations for the story and cast though.
The combat system is one of the best in the series. Low expectations for the story is good. Just lower them some more.

Bladenic

I still haven't beat ToD2, ToP, or Narikiri X but I'm so ready for Xillia 2 EN and especially Zestiria. I'm definitely importing Zestiria if the western release isn't announced in a timely matter.

Proven

I still haven't beat ToD2, ToP, or Narikiri X but I'm so ready for Xillia 2 EN and especially Zestiria. I'm definitely importing Zestiria if the western release isn't announced in a timely matter.

The day Zestiria was announced it was also announced to have a worldwide release. No release dates yet though.

Levyne

Banned
So rumors floating around of a late July release of Xillia 2 in the west.

I'm not familiar with the source myself, but supposedly the same as the one who leaked ToSC. The article link was taken down.

koi-nya.net

Hopefully it's okay to just post that as a clear rumor.

kayos90 made a thread too

So in the mean time of waiting for my copy of Veperia to arrive, I've been thinking about getting Abyss for 3DS.

I haven't seen a whole lot of good comments about it on here, and Luke looks like he has no redeeming qualities at all, but the battle system looks good, and it actually has a world map.

I can get it for around $2 if I cash in some GS rewards points. What do you guys think? Worth it?

FSLink

Banned
Abyss is a great game with characters you'll think are either interesting or annoying. It has some bad pacing problems along with bad loading times in the PS2 version (thankfully fixed in the 3DS version). It's worth a play though I feel the game doesn't pick up mechanics wise and story wise until the 2nd act about 10-15 hours in.

Okay I think I'll give it a shot. Even if I don't enjoy it that much, it's not like I'll be spending a lot.

I figure it's a long shot, but no dual audio right?

Top Bottom