• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

I feel like everyone just glances over the scenes where Anise' gold digger personality is explained along with why she acts the way she does. Either way she's by far the best part of Abyss (Natalia is probably the worst)

It's a lame justification. Being a gold digger is a pretty sick act of emotional manipulation, and she's like, 12. That's fucked up.

Also the way she bullies Arietta is disgusting. "How dare you be sad, you're not allowed to be sad just because you've been orphaned twice!"

Soriku

I just realized Tales of Symphonia Chronicles sold 42k in NPD. That seems alright?

kayos lost his bet

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just realized Tales of Symphonia Chronicles sold 42k in NPD. That seems alright?

kayos lost his bet
iSf5Va4u8xs2W.png

Come and get it Kayos

So I finally finished both Symphonia's tonight, and surprisingly I managed to get through these without feeling too much like I was getting burned out, even thought for the most part I've been having trouble getting through JRPGs lately. I think I may just be getting tired of turn based games for the most part, since it's taken me a lot longer to get through the other 5+ of those that I've had for 4+ months. Now I'm thinking of getting Tales of the Abyss for 3DS even though I've played through it a bunch of PS2, action RPGs are a lot easier for me to run through without getting burned out too quickly.

SaintZ

Why does it take so long to get back into Baticul? I didn't get Demon Fist and now every time I try to go to Luke's house "THE WAR IS STILL GOING ON."
It takes a while IIRC. There's more drama that's gonna be unfolding shortly.

I'm at the end of the game.
Holy shit at Asch's death. I was expecting him to die but not there and not like that. I already got all the Catalyst Weapons so I want to fight Nebilim before Van but she's gotta be way harder right? I'm at Level 65 with Luke, the rest are 64/63 so I'm not sure it's a good idea.
I'm trying to finish all the sidequests before the final boss as well and I can't believe how late in the game you get some of the costumes :/

Bladenic

It takes a while IIRC. There's more drama that's gonna be unfolding shortly.

I'm at the end of the game.
Holy shit at Asch's death. I was expecting him to die but not there and not like that. I already got all the Catalyst Weapons so I want to fight Nebilim before Van but she's gotta be way harder right? I'm at Level 65 with Luke, the rest are 64/63 so I'm not sure it's a good idea.
I'm trying to finish all the sidequests before the final boss as well and I can't believe how late in the game you get some of the costumes :/

Who do you use

SaintZ

Who do you use
It depends. I have been changing my party all the time. It's usually Luke/Tear/Anise/Jade. With bosses I use Luke/Tear/Guy/Natalia. When I fought
Arietta, Largo and Legretta
they destroyed me using the first formation and after I switched it was a breeze. With the combo of Tear/Natalia the bosses barely do any damage lol it is a lot like in Xillia with Elize/Leia.

FSLink

Banned
It depends. I have been changing my party all the time. It's usually Luke/Tear/Anise/Jade. With bosses I use Luke/Tear/Guy/Natalia. When I fought
Arietta, Largo and Legretta
they destroyed me using the first formation and after I switched it was a breeze. With the combo of Tear/Natalia the bosses barely do any damage lol it is a lot like in Xillia with Elize/Leia.

Yep, Tear and Natalia on the same team is pretty similar to Leia/Elize. Though I just went for the abusing Free-Run route, and just went with Luke or Guy/Anise/Tear/Jade. Free run the hell out of everything, and have them spam spells.

The Tales of Hearts thread remind me that I still need to finish Tales of Innocence. I got to the final dungeon, but the difficulty increases so dramatically in the 2nd to last dungeon and doesn't let up from there. I might have to suck it up and switch back from Hard mode to Normal mode.

I also started Tales of Tempest awhile back and while the patch for it is pretty solid (best April Fool's gift ever) the game really IS quite bad.

Proven

The Tales of Hearts thread remind me that I still need to finish Tales of Innocence. I got to the final dungeon, but the difficulty increases so dramatically in the 2nd to last dungeon and doesn't let up from there. I might have to suck it up and switch back from Hard mode to Normal mode.

I also started Tales of Tempest awhile back and while the patch for it is pretty solid (best April Fool's gift ever) the game really IS quite bad.

I hear this all the time, and I hear bits and pieces of why, but did anyone ever put out a comprehensive post as to why Tales of Tempest was so horrible?

Datschge

I hear this all the time, and I hear bits and pieces of why, but did anyone ever put out a comprehensive post as to why Tales of Tempest was so horrible?

Do you mean how this POS actually got developed and published, or why so many people consider it horrible? Because the latter is glaringly obvious to anyone playing it. =)
It's just a very cheap, incompetent and short Tales game, commonly denounced "Tales of 10 hours".

My time playing tempest (2ish hours) here are some of my MAJOR problems with the game

1- the menu is super difficult to navigate, thinks like equipping artes are buried the equip menu and other dumb stuff like that as I recall

2- the ai can only cast artes/spells you equip it with the same way you equip your main character, thats right the ai can only have access to 4 total artes/spells just like you

3- the ally ai is BAD if you give the girl character fireball, first aid, and a weapon she'll usually stand in one place shooting fire balls till she's out of tp then try to melee and die, or she'll spam first aid after every little hit until she's out of tp and then try to melee and die. The melee characters are also dumb as rocks and don't try to flank or do anything besides run forward and mash attack

4- on the world map you can't rotate the camera unless you're standing still

5- it looks ugly, even by early ds standards

The only positive I have is that the combat system is cool mechanically (ignoring the 4 arte problem). Basically there are 3 parallel lines and you can jump between them and attack in anyone in front of you or next to you on a parallel line. You deal bonus damage if you attack foes from behind and take more if they damage you from the back. I imagine if you played with a friend this would work really well... Or if the ai was even half way decent

Bladenic

The DS or Vita version? I really want Innocence R above Hearts R to be localized. I've played Hearts DS and have no real desire to play Hearts R, English or not. But I've yet to play Innocence, and the R version looks way better than the DS version, even with the DS version having a fan translation.

The DS Version. It's not that well liked, but it's honestly one of my favorite tales games combat-wise. The AI is the best that seen in the games that I've played (Phantasia, Destiny PSX, Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Tempest, Innocence), and every character was fun for me to use. There's a solid amount of voicework as well for story scenes. The biggest flaw for me was that the dungeons were really poorly done. I wouldn't mind trying Tales of Innocense R, but I from what I've heard the AI in that game is about the same as a typical Tales game, and that alone kinda makes me not want to,

My time playing tempest (2ish hours) here are some of my MAJOR problems with the game

1- the menu is super difficult to navigate, thinks like equipping artes are buried the equip menu and other dumb stuff like that as I recall

2- the ai can only cast artes/spells you equip it with the same way you equip your main character, thats right the ai can only have access to 4 total artes/spells just like you

3- the ally ai is BAD if you give the girl character fireball, first aid, and a weapon she'll usually stand in one place shooting fire balls till she's out of tp then try to melee and die, or she'll spam first aid after every little hit until she's out of tp and then try to melee and die. The melee characters are also dumb as rocks and don't try to flank or do anything besides run forward and mash attack

4- on the world map you can't rotate the camera unless you're standing still

5- it looks ugly, even by early ds standards

The only positive I have is that the combat system is cool mechanically (ignoring the 4 arte problem). Basically there are 3 parallel lines and you can jump between them and attack in anyone in front of you or next to you on a parallel line. You deal bonus damage if you attack foes from behind and take more if they damage you from the back. I imagine if you played with a friend this would work really well... Or if the ai was even half way decent

You are right except that ...
Tales of tempest battle system is ripped of tales of rebirth and doesn't do shit with it except dumb it down to the lowest level.

So even this part is a failure

Proven

To be fair, I don't see your second point "The AI can only use the artes you equip to them" as much of a downside, but that's also because I've only played Tales games with friends, so I'm used to casters only have access to the same amount of artes as a player without having to dive into a menu.

I could see it frustrating though as even Symphonia gave you access to six artes as once instead of just four. Also, another reason to love Graces.

FSLink

Banned
To be fair, I don't see your second point "The AI can only use the artes you equip to them" as much of a downside, but that's also because I've only played Tales games with friends, so I'm used to casters only have access to the same amount of artes as a player without having to dive into a menu.

I could see it frustrating though as even Symphonia gave you access to six artes as once instead of just four. Also, another reason to love Graces.

It's still a downside, every other Tales has the AI use more than 4 artes but that game. And yeah, like you said, Tales games around that time gave at least 6 per character.
It also doesn't help the menus are clunky so switching the AI's moves every so often was a pain.

Well first its a problem because unless you already know you woudn't bother to equip them with artes, so you'll have your first ai ally (healer/mage) who only runs forward and melees and won't heal for a few battles before you dumb luck and equip it while trying to menu cast it or you go online and read about this problem.

You also don't realize how limiting only 4 artes are until you're playing the game. I'm also pretty sure you can't switch artes during battle.

Again the best way to understand why Tempest is bad is to play it, it'll only take an hour or two and you'll understand

Well first its a problem because unless you already know you woudn't bother to equip them with artes, so you'll have your first ai ally (healer/mage) who only runs forward and melees and won't heal for a few battles before you dumb luck and equip it while trying to menu cast it or you go online and read about this problem.

You also don't realize how limiting only 4 artes are until you're playing the game. I'm also pretty sure you can't switch artes during battle.

Again the best way to understand why Tempest is bad is to play it, it'll only take an hour or two and you'll understand

The bolded is trully a blasphemy.
Can't change your attack set in battle in an action rpg

That was an obnoxious thing about the Star Ocean games, especially The Second Story (and the SO2 based remake of Star Ocean 1 on the PSP). Characters could only equip two physical attacks, and you couldn't change their skill sets within battle. Yet spell casters had access to all of their spells and you could cast them manually as well as let the AI do their thing. It's so wonky, especially since Physical skills tend to be more powerful in those games.

It's one of the main reasons that I usually prefer Tales to Star Ocean.

The bolded is trully a blasphemy.
Can't change your attack set in battle in an action rpg

I'd be okay with this if either

1- random battles were a lot shorter

2- you had say 12+ skills you can access at one time

3- the game was built around the mechanic and has massive 10-15 minute battles where choosing the right skills before would impact how you handled the battle

Heyt

Banned
I am looking for a database of Tales of game credits to get to know better who writes what in each Tales. Character designers and directors are easy to find but script and event writers are a bit harder to find. Any suggestions?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'm thinking about getting a £10 PSN card from GAME so I can grab Graces F while it's on sale. I haven't played a JRPG in a long time (not since Resonance of Fate, which I loved), and I've always liked Tales/Star Ocean games due to the battle system being more action-oriented, even though I've never actually beaten one (well, I beat SO2 way back when I was younger, but that's it). The only thing really holding me back is the thought that maybe Graces F will go on sale on US PSN at some point (I'm from the US, and generally prefer to keep my game purchases on the same account). But I kinda don't see Graces F going on sale any time soon, especially since Namco skipped over Graces F in favor of putting Xillia on sale for $9.99 a couple months back.

I dunno, I guess what I'm asking is should I just take the plunge and pay the ~$17.00 for the £10 PSN card or wait and see if it goes on sale in the US?

Soriku

So I'm thinking about getting a £10 PSN card from GAME so I can grab Graces F while it's on sale. I haven't played a JRPG in a long time (not since Resonance of Fate, which I loved), and I've always liked Tales/Star Ocean games due to the battle system being more action-oriented, even though I've never actually beaten one (well, I beat SO2 way back when I was younger, but that's it). The only thing really holding me back is the thought that maybe Graces F will go on sale on US PSN at some point (I'm from the US, and generally prefer to keep my game purchases on the same account). But I kinda don't see Graces F going on sale any time soon, especially since Namco skipped over Graces F in favor of putting Xillia on sale for $9.99 a couple months back.

I dunno, I guess what I'm asking is should I just take the plunge and pay the ~$17.00 for the £10 PSN card or wait and see if it goes on sale in the US?

Well...if you don't mind having a game from another region (and PS3 isn't region locked and all), you might as well make the jump. If Namco does another sale it might not be for a while as you said...so why not.

Also I saw someone say this in ToH thread:

I went to gamestop last week and saw the PS3 upcoming game reservation list

It said Xillia is in July 21st I think.

This would fit in line with the rumored July 24 release in EU. It would be three days before in NA, the same gap as Xillia and Symphonia Chronicles. Only difference would be that it releases on a Monday rather than a Tuesday, which is more common.

cafemomo

So after three NG+ runthroughs with Milla & currently doing NG+ with Jude I can conclude that Xillia is now one of my top rpgs of last gen and possibly of all time

Soriku

So after three NG+ runthroughs with Milla & currently doing NG+ with Jude I can conclude that Xillia is now one of my top rpgs of last gen and possibly of all time

I only played through it once, but I definitely do have to say it was one of the most enjoyable JRPGs I've played.

Fou-Lu

Really? One of my friends who is a HUGE Tales fan was incredibly disappointed with it so I haven't even gotten around to playing it once. I do see a lot of praise for it around GAF, though usually not as much as you've given it. Still I should probably give it a play.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Xillia is an unpolished diamond. A really great game with some pretty glaring flaws. Still one of the best RPGs of last gen, for sure, but problems like the recolored hollowed out canyon fields, identical port towns, and bizarre localization problems (Milla's lisp) keep it from being excellent.

Top Bottom