• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Labadal

So rumors floating around of a late July release of Xillia 2 in the west.

I'm not familiar with the source myself, but supposedly the same as the one who leaked ToSC. The article link was taken down.

koi-nya.net

Hopefully it's okay to just post that as a clear rumor.

kayos90 made a thread too

True or not, it would be a good month for them to release it so it doesn't drown in the other release cluster later in the year.

steveovig

I've been getting into this series as of late and I was wondering what everyone's general thoughts were on the PS1 games? Are they worth the prices they're going for? How similar are they to the PS3 titles? Is there any more exploration in them?

PKrockin

I've been getting into this series as of late and I was wondering what everyone's general thoughts were on the PS1 games? Are they worth the prices they're going for? How similar are they to the PS3 titles? Is there any more exploration in them?
The games before Graces are generally more like traditional JRPGs, with world maps and more exploration and some puzzle solving but with simpler battle systems and less cinematic storytelling.

It's kind of hard to get a hold of the PS1 games in English though.

Is Eternia (confusingly named Destiny 2 in NA despite having no connection to the actual Destiny 2 not released in the West) still available on the PSP digitally in Europe? That's the only easy way I know of to get an English version I'm aware of. It was enjoyable but not worth paying collector prices IMO.

I haven't played Destiny yet but I've heard the original PS1 version (the only one released in English) is pretty dated.

The Phantasia remake on PS1 is quite good, but you need to use a fan translation patch. The only official English version of Phantasia is a terrible GBA port.

I'm guessing you've just played Xillia? Symphonia is probably up your alley if you want a little more balanced experience. Alone it's $20 on PSN or bundled with the mediocre sequel DotNW it's $30 on Amazon.

steveovig

The games before Graces are generally more like traditional JRPGs, with world maps and more exploration and some puzzle solving but with simpler battle systems and less cinematic storytelling.

It's kind of hard to get a hold of the PS1 games in English though.

Is Eternia (confusingly named Destiny 2 in NA despite having no connection to the actual Destiny 2 not released in the West) still available on the PSP digitally in Europe? That's the only easy way I know of to get an English version I'm aware of. It was enjoyable but not worth paying collector prices IMO.

I haven't played Destiny yet but I've heard the original PS1 version (the only one released in English) is pretty dated.

The Phantasia remake on PS1 is quite good, but you need to use a fan translation patch. The only official English version of Phantasia is a terrible GBA port.

I'm guessing you've just played Xillia? Symphonia is probably up your alley if you want a little more balanced experience. Alone it's $20 on PSN or bundled with the mediocre sequel DotNW it's $30 on Amazon.

Yea, Xillia is my only exposure but I just got the Symphonia pack from the recent BB sale. I don't want to start that yet though.

Yawnier

Banned
The combat system is one of the best in the series. Low expectations for the story is good. Just lower them some more.

I'm about 10 hours in
Richard just became king
and yeah, the combat in this game is god-tier after the childhood arc.

The story/plot seems very meh so far. The main characters themselves don't seem all that bad.

Labadal

I'm about 10 hours in
Richard just became king
and yeah, the combat in this game is god-tier after the childhood arc.

The story/plot seems very meh so far. The main characters themselves don't seem all that bad.

Some of the characters are not all that bad but the actual story won't get any better. I did like the skits, though.

Proven

Main story was painful, but many of the skits and end of battle quotes (best in the series as far as I'm concerned) had me laughing.

There are also a lot of little things that can give you a chuckle, like the descriptions for each of the accessory ribbons (Cheria equip) that you find throughout the game.

Yawnier

Banned
Some of the characters are not all that bad but the actual story won't get any better. I did like the skits, though.

I'm not that far in the game I don't think but I'm pretty much of the same opinion as you so far when it comes to the characters, story, and skits.

Main story was painful, but many of the skits and end of battle quotes (best in the series as far as I'm concerned) had me laughing.

There are also a lot of little things that can give you a chuckle, like the descriptions for each of the accessory ribbons (Cheria equip) that you find throughout the game.

I get a kick out of all of Pascal's end of battle quotes and the one with Asbel, Sophie, and Richard where they shout "Never, Never, what's out motto? Never give up!".

SaintZ

I get a kick out of all of Pascal's end of battle quotes and the one with Asbel, Sophie, and Richard where they shout "Never, Never, what's out motto? Never give up!".
The ones where everybody participates are awesome:
"We are are... Awesome! Unbeatable! Amazing! and unable to coordinate", "We are... stop stop you'll step on them!!" and the one with all the guys saying different stuff at the same time are my favorites.

Also, Hubert's obsession with Cheria's fashion sense is amusing.

Ultratech

PSX Destiny as mentioned is pretty dated nowadays. I tried to play through it a few years back and couldn't do it.
Battles are slow and the World Map is a possible sin against humanity (it's ugly as hell).
The PS2 Remake is awesome stuff and things that dreams are possibly made of, but that's all in Japanese.

The PSX version of Phantasia is pretty good, since it uses an enhanced ToD engine and some other stuff. Then there's about 2-3 PSP ports of it. (lol)
Definitely worth a play if you haven't played ToP.
Avoid the GBA version like the plague.

Eternia (aka Destiny II, not to be confused with the PS2 ToD2) surprisingly holds up pretty decent and battle is real-time for the most part.
Despite some irritating flaws here and there, it's a pretty solid game.
Aside from the PSX version, they had a PSP port in Europe which has some neat stuff (like Widescreen support) and it's fully in English.
No idea on the availability of that; I got my copy about 2 years back.

You might be able to find the PS1 games for a "decent" price, but I'd say that Destiny II would be the only one worth going for if you can get it cheap-ish. (Probably easier to just get the PSP version.)

steveovig

I don't know, I think I've just decided to play the cheaper, newer games first before I venture into the dated older games. I've got Xillia and the Symphonia pack, and I could always go after Vesperia and Graces once I'm done with those, and Xillia 2 when it releases. I'm really enjoying Xillia right now, especially with all the character development. I had heard it didn't have a truck load of exploration but I still find myself loving checking every inch of a new area.

Man. I had no idea the bosses in Abyss would cause me so many problems. Every time I come to one I only have a few Apple Gels and maybe a Life Bottle.

When I fought Arrietta, I had to backtrack all the way to Kaitzur to buy supplies just so I could survive. I don't know if I want to do that with the Zao Ruins. I think I'll just play more of Phantasia until I get the will to go back to Abyss.

FSLink

Banned
Man. I had no idea the bosses in Abyss would cause me so many problems. Every time I come to one I only have a few Apple Gels and maybe a Life Bottle.

When I fought Arrietta, I had to backtrack all the way to Kaitzur to buy supplies just so I could survive. I don't know if I want to do that with the Zao Ruins. I think I'll just play more of Phantasia until I get the will to go back to Abyss.

Money is quite a limited resource early on in Abyss, especially if you're on harder difficulties. :/

PSX Destiny as mentioned is pretty dated nowadays. I tried to play through it a few years back and couldn't do it.
Battles are slow and the World Map is a possible sin against humanity (it's ugly as hell).
The PS2 Remake is awesome stuff and things that dreams are possibly made of, but that's all in Japanese.
Not just slow, but brain dead easy and there's tons of encounters too. If you get the gist of the storyline, I'd still go play the remake in Japanese, it's pretty import friendly if you've ever played a Tales game before (yellow glowing dots telling you where to go, and the maps are pretty linear)

iavi

Going from Vesperia to Xillia to Symphonia, and from Xillia to Symphonia in a matter of days, I should add, might not have been the best trajectory, I'm thinking.

Xillia's combat felt times faster than Symphonia's in general, but Jude especially was a savage destroyer of all and everything. Lloyd's just kinda aight so far.

BkEM4AJCAAAOnyE.jpg

I think Tales of Kizuna has potential.

Source

I think I did the right thing abandoning Abyss for Phantasia. It's making me feel like the first time I played Symphonia. I just want to keep playing.

I'll return to Abyss someday though.

SaintZ

I'm still busy playing Abyss and was wondering how much I still have to go. I'm at the point where
Ion dies
and I'm sick of its currently incredibly stale and repetitive story and its unfathomably passive and stale characters who are so incompetent as fuck that it's starting to become frustrating.

Seriously, the plot's underlying, let's say, bones, are totally fine and interesting even. But when the vast majority of negative events occur because the main characters couldn't lift a fucking finger to take any preventive measures is starting to work on my nerves. Either that, or every scene is like
" ! I remember something important, but I will keep it to myself for little to no justifiable reason until it's too late and I eventually have to tell everyone anyway" or "Oh no! An enemy we can pretty much pummel to death within seconds! We have to run away because reasons!" or "You! You've been the cause of so much suffering and will continue to be so if we let you go! The only logical thing would be to end your life here or just somehow make sure you can't do anything, but I'm just going to stand still and talk to you for an hour, so you can create an obstacle that we could and should just easily pass through and stab you in the face, but we'll instead just let you go so more horrible plot points can happen in the future".
It's the same shit over and over and over again, with a cast that has surprisingly little chemistry and so little personal development. I mean, the majority of the cast hasn't changed a single fucking bit since the very beginning! That tiny amount of development some characters have is foreshadowed so hard than when it actually happens, it barely has any impact. Everyone does nothing and the fucking plot just keeps getting streched and streched because of it. If the cast was even half decent, the game would have been over 20 hours ago. I just want to finish it if there's not a whole lot to go.
I decided to speed run through Abyss since I deleted my file and I just reached this point earlier today. I have to say, I enjoyed the game a lot more after skipping all the cut scenes and skits. I also did tons of sidequests that I had missed on my first run (and lord it is so easy to miss a lot of shit).

I agree with your point about the cast not doing anything to prevent stuff. "What's wrong?" "Err, it's nothing". Why don't they address the issue in that moment, lord.
I can't believe Luke didn't mention ANYTHING to ANYONE about Lorelei's last message. You'd think that's a valuable piece of information when you're trying to save the world. Also, I didn't like Anise betraying the group. She seemed to love and care about Ion a lot so, going along with Mohs' plan just like that felt contrived (I know her parents were being held hostage but... I feel that if Anise had asked for help, the group would have found a solution -____-

I think that the only character I really like in this game is Peony lol.

Abyss has some serious character problems. Jade's shtick just goes on and on, and everyone is so busy keeping secrets and saying "It's nothing," not to mention the notorious Akzeriuth scene. Even with the whole " some guy trying to start a war to fulfill writing on a big rock" thing going on and
Van being willing to kill literally everyone in the world to end the dumb prophecy bullshit,
I don't remember the party actually going through any sort of serious personal epiphanies or conflict regarding the Score.

Also, I haven't played either game, but does Vesperia look better than Xillia? Xillia's art and animation look like a step back.

Absolutely loved Xillia but I'm really looking forward to Zesteria. I know Xillia 2 is coming this summer but it just seems like such a departure from the normal Tales games.. it just seems so futuristic like a FF game or something.. Have any of you played the Japanese version yet? Are my fears unfounded?

I'm still busy playing Abyss and was wondering how much I still have to go. I'm at the point where
Ion dies
and I'm sick of its currently incredibly stale and repetitive story and its unfathomably passive and stale characters who are so incompetent as fuck that it's starting to become frustrating.
I think it was just a bit beyond this point where I gave up on the game myself, at least I got to see
that irritating Ion perish
before I stopped playing, that's a happy enough ending for me.

Soriku

Absolutely loved Xillia but I'm really looking forward to Zesteria. I know Xillia 2 is coming this summer but it just seems like such a departure from the normal Tales games.. it just seems so futuristic like a FF game or something.. Have any of you played the Japanese version yet? Are my fears unfounded?

It's just Elympios that's futuristic. And it's not really futuristic...just modern.

I just got to the point where they find out that
Synch is also obviously alive and they let him just walk away because two or three civilians say that they want to know the score and because he impersonates Ion's voice, even though right after he laughs like a villain and actually says "fighting me is fighting Ion" and they just eat that stupid shit up, even though they spend the entire fucking game establishing among themselves that replicas all are different, individual beings. And they just let him walk away, saying shit like "grr how cruel" right afterwards!!

Oh my god, I can't take this shit anymore! What the fuck is wrong with this cast!? They keep taking non-action and passiveness to a whole new level every fucking chance they get, even though it has come back to severely bite them in the ass every single time. It's unbearable!

Bladenic

Ah, I just found out why people seem to really hate Anise and not completely dislike Arietta. It's because the former is a monumental fucking piece of shit, while the latter is...less terrible. Anise is easily the worst character out of the entire cast. In fact, she might just be the worst main character I've ever seen in any Tales game. What a pointless, inconsistent, aggrevating, simplistic shit character. She only became worse and worse as time moved on, to a point where every time she opens her mouth, I skip the text. You know what would be stupid, but still be fucking sick? If Anise died off and somehow got replaced by Emperor Peony, who constantly teases Jade and has a Mistic Arte where his rappigs just pummel the shit out of nearby enemies. I'd revel in its stupidity.

Yes don't hold back. Anise is the worst thing in the Tales series. Not just character, literally the worst aspect of the whole series.

Anise is the best character in tales of the abyss, is my main character I play as, and is in my top 5 all time favorite tales characters

Haters gonna hate

How are the english translations of Destiny and Eternia on the PS1?

Destiny's translation was fine as far as I remember

Eternia cut out the skits but otherwise has a good localization... Except the dub work, the dub is very 90 aka bad

Destiny's translation was fine as far as I remember

Eternia cut out the skits but otherwise has a good localization... Except the dub work, the dub is very 90 aka bad

Is Destiny dubbed as well?

I think I may end up going for the japanese versions of both of these if they have bad dubs.

Is Destiny dubbed as well?

I think I may end up going for the japanese versions of both of these if they have bad dubs.

No it keeps all of the Japanese dialogue, the only thing that's awkwardly translated are some of the attack names like Demon Fang/Majinken is translated as missile sword

No it keeps all of the Japanese dialogue, the only thing that's awkwardly translated are some of the attack names like Demon Fang/Majinken is translated as missile sword

That doesn't sound too bad. But, having one game be english while the other two are japanese on my shelf doesn't sit right with me. I think I'll still go with the import versions if I can find them cheap enough.

Thanks.

Bladenic

Anise love is the one thing I can never wrap my head around. Battle wise? Sure. Character wise? LOL

She's definitely at home in Abyss as most of the cast is infuriating.

Red Mage

Anise love is the one thing I can never wrap my head around. Battle wise? Sure. Character wise? LOL

She's definitely at home in Abyss as most of the cast is infuriating.

I don't "love her" but I found her gold-digging personality kind of funny. Then again, I found Jerk-Luke amusing to an extent. Mostly because he wasn't your stereotypical "I want to make the world a better place for my friends! ^______^" hero you always see in JRPGs.

I feel like everyone just glances over the scenes where Anise' gold digger personality is explained along with why she acts the way she does. Either way she's by far the best part of Abyss (Natalia is probably the worst)

Seda

It's been a long time since I played Abyss, but I remember thinking Guy was the most tolerable character, even if his phobia was a bit irritating (and as someone pointed out a while back in this thread, doesn't really make sense why he has it in the first place).

Proven

Storywise, Anise also helps with Ion feeling like a part of the party and not some NPC hanger-on that only the main protagonist of the game feels a special connection to, like you see in other RPG stories.

Currently working on platinum-ing Tales of Hearts R.

Let me just say, the West is not missing much by not having this game. Well, story and character-wise, anyway.

Gameplay-wise, well its Tales, so its very fun to play. But... idk, it feels like a budget title is every sense of the word.

It is fun to play, but definitely not a flagship title.

Top Bottom