• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Really? One of my friends who is a HUGE Tales fan was incredibly disappointed with it so I haven't even gotten around to playing it once. I do see a lot of praise for it around GAF, though usually not as much as you've given it. Still I should probably give it a play.

I find that people who played Jude's side first enjoyed the game more then people who played Milla's side first not sure which your friend did first but I do wonder if they only played Milla's

Datschge

Xillia is an unpolished diamond. A really great game with some pretty glaring flaws.

And the issue with those glaring flaws is that they usually concern stuff that were already perfected in a previous Tales game. Thus leading to disappointments for people that consider these as inexcusable backward steps.

cafemomo

Really? One of my friends who is a HUGE Tales fan was incredibly disappointed with it so I haven't even gotten around to playing it once. I do see a lot of praise for it around GAF, though usually not as much as you've given it. Still I should probably give it a play.

Prior to Xilla, I've only played Abyss (3DS one) & Tempest. (Also completed chapter 1 of Graces f) Now, those weren't bad games per say, but those games just didn't stick with me. But Xillia did for some reason. I really adored the gameplay. Hell, I think that's why I love the game so much.

The OST was a bit weak though imo.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I bet the audio mixing is sorta shit because they compressed the audio in the event that they were going to get JP voice acting into the game. I doubt it but that could be a reason why.

Yawnier

Banned
So uh, how important and how long is the future arc in Tales of Graces f?

I just beat the main arc (after ~35 hours) and I am undecided as to whether I want to play lineage & legacies or not. If it helps I thought the game was decent, not as good or memorable as Symphonia but still alright.

My opinion on Graces comes down to in short: awesome battle system, good cast of characters, but meh story/plot and meh soundtrack.

I just beat the main arc (after ~35 hours) and I am undecided as to whether I want to play lineage & legacies or not. If it helps I thought the game was decent, not as good or memorable as Symphonia but still alright.

My opinion on Graces comes down to in short: awesome battle system, good cast of characters, but meh story/plot and meh soundtrack.

You could probably clear it in 10 hours or so if you just rush through it.

I know most of the time I spent on it was farming for blasted item drops for the Narikri Dolls ingredients :E

Soriku

I think some of the best character moments are in the future arc, plus the ending will make sense once you finish it, so I definitely recommend playing it.

If you got through the main story in 35 hours (which is pretty fast), you'll probably get through the future arc in under 10 hours if you just stick to the story.

At 35 hours, there are lots of side things you missed...

Yawnier

Banned
You could probably clear it in 10 hours or so if you just rush through it.

I know most of the time I spent on it was farming for blasted item drops for the Narikri Dolls ingredients :E

I think some of the best character moments are in the future arc, plus the ending will make sense once you finish it, so I definitely recommend playing it.

If you got through the main story in 35 hours (which is pretty fast), you'll probably get through the future arc in under 10 hours if you just stick to the story.

At 35 hours, there are lots of side things you missed...

10 hours doesn't seem that bad then and I wouldn't mind more closure to the story :p. Thanks guys.

Yeah, I didn't do a whole lot of side stuff like subquests and whatnot.

Fou-Lu

As someone who has played and enjoyed Phantasia, Destiny and Symphonia but no other Tales games, which would you guys recommend I play next? (To be honest of those three I probably enjoy Destiny most, but I did buy and play it on release as a young child, so that could be nostalgia).

I have any and every device a mainline Tales game has appeared on so don't be restricted in your recommendations.

As someone who has played and enjoyed Phantasia, Destiny and Symphonia but no other Tales games, which would you guys recommend I play next? (To be honest of those three I probably enjoy Destiny most, but I did buy and play it on release as a young child, so that could be nostalgia).

I have any and every device a mainline Tales game has appeared on so don't be restricted in your recommendations.

I'd say check out Abyss next, then go onto Graces f then Xillia

Edit: Totally forgot Vesperia do Abyss or Vesperia then the other first

Vesperia definitely. After that, probably Abyss. Those are the ones most similar to the ones you've played.

Xillia is also worth a shot.

Fuck me Phantasia's final boss is a prick.

I've gotten the first phase down to a science but the second form won't even let me get close. Anyone have any tips?

Fuck me Phantasia's final boss is a prick.

I've gotten the first phase down to a science but the second form won't even let me get close. Anyone have any tips?

Which version of Phantasia are you playing?

Can't comment on the NDX version of the game as I've not played it so it may be different, but on the PSX/GBA versions just spam Jigenzan/Distortion Blade and you can pretty much dominate Dhaos. I recommend dumping Mint for either Chester then during your attacks of spamming Jigenzan/Distortion Blade just have Klarth and Arche cast whatever strongest summon spell they have and have Chester use his strongest arte constantly (go into the menu and manually have them use each one). If you do this he shouldn't be able to move and the battle is basically over. If anyone runs low on TP have Chester throw gels to restore, your mages and Cless should never stop attacking.

Mint is worthless don't use her, Suzu is okay but not as good as Chester due to her constant need to run back and forth due to how the ally ai works in the PSX/GBA versions

This should more or less work on the SNES version, it's been a long time since I've played it though

LX_Theo

Banned
With the sale going on, I was wondering... Is the PS3 release of Symphonia a good place to start in the Tales series? My previous experience is watching a LP of Xillia, and that's it. At Symphonia's price for the sale, its quite tempting to test the series for myself now.

FSLink

Banned
With the sale going on, I was wondering... Is the PS3 release of Symphonia a good place to start in the Tales series? My previous experience is watching a LP of Xillia, and that's it. At Symphonia's price for the sale, its quite tempting to test the series for myself now.

At that price, definitely. I do think it being a 30FPS port is kinda disappointing, but it can be overlooked and at $10 with Plus it's worth it for sure.

It's not bad and it was for a lot of people, their first introduction to a Tales game as well.

And then you can start playing the more better Tales games that came afterwards!

LX_Theo

Banned
At that price, definitely. I do think it being a 30FPS port is kinda disappointing, but it can be overlooked and at $10 with Plus it's worth it for sure.
So long as the port quality isn't broken, I'm fine with it graphically.
It's not bad and it was for a lot of people, their first introduction to a Tales game as well.

And then you can start playing the more better Tales games that came afterwards!

Any general consensus on the best few Tales games, then?

The Tales games in terms of battle mechanics largely get better as they go on so it's better to play the earlier games first (Phantasia for 2D or Symphonia for 3D) before playing the later ones. After you play any 3D Tales of game past Abyss where you have free run going back to Symphonia which didn't have free run is going to feel really archaic, same with Phantasia SNES/PSX or Destiny PSX after playing Eternia or Rebirth.

The games aren't bad by any means, they just feel dated which you may like or you may not like depending on your taste.

I'd say my top 5 overall favorite Tales games (only going off English released games)

Xillia, Vesperia, Abyss, Eternia, Symphonia in no particular order

Graces f has AMAZING gameplay but it's awful story hurts it, still highly recommend it though.

FSLink

Banned

Yeah, it's technically a good "port", just disappointing for the anniversary release. Not very updated graphically and based off the worst performing version of the game (PS2 is 30FPS, GC is 60FPS) instead of trying to combine the best of both versions. I say get it.

Of the US releases, BassForever's list is probably what I'd say too, but I'd replace Graces f with Abyss. Abyss is good but it has awful pacing, and is probably harder than the other 5 games to get into as a newcomer.

Yeah, it's technically a good "port", just disappointing for the anniversary release. Not very updated graphically and based off the worst performing version of the game (PS2 is 30FPS, GC is 60FPS) instead of trying to combine the best of both versions. I say get it.

Of the US releases, BassForever's list is probably what I'd say too, but I'd replace Graces f with Abyss. Abyss is good but it has awful pacing, and is probably harder than the other 5 games to get into as a newcomer.

Abyss has IMO the best story and good gameplay, Graces f has the best gameplay and the worst story. Which you think is better really comes down to if you prefer story or gameplay as the main focus which tales fans seem very split on which is more important

Which version of Phantasia are you playing?

Can't comment on the NDX version of the game as I've not played it so it may be different, but on the PSX/GBA versions just spam Jigenzan/Distortion Blade and you can pretty much dominate Dhaos. I recommend dumping Mint for either Chester then during your attacks of spamming Jigenzan/Distortion Blade just have Klarth and Arche cast whatever strongest summon spell they have and have Chester use his strongest arte constantly (go into the menu and manually have them use each one). If you do this he shouldn't be able to move and the battle is basically over. If anyone runs low on TP have Chester throw gels to restore, your mages and Cless should never stop attacking.

Mint is worthless don't use her, Suzu is okay but not as good as Chester due to her constant need to run back and forth due to how the ally ai works in the PSX/GBA versions

This should more or less work on the SNES version, it's been a long time since I've played it though

I was playing the PSX version . I finally beat him almost immediately after posting that. I did pretty much what you said, but I kept Mint in my party lol. She was just used to spam Nurse.

I think it's replaced Symphonia as my favorite Tales game. In fact, it's made me like Symphonia a little less because of how much it feels like a retread of Phantasia.

Seda

LX_Theo,

Vesperia is well rounded and I think the best recommendation for those new to the series. Despite what you may have heard about the oft-clamored PS3 version, the 360 game is still a full worthwhile game, with no essential missing ends. Yes the PS3 version has a ton of additions (enough to prompt me to import the game) but I wouldn't use a missing localization as an excuse to never play the game. Whether you have an available 360 could be an issue.

Vesperia has the best cast, especially its lead character. Honestly, he alone props the game up a notch, as he's quite different from just about every other JRPG protag out there. While the combat is a step down from Graces it's still fun to master the character styles and chain combos (although it takes some time to 'fully unlock' some of the systems). Combat starts out perhaps a little too simple [attack-attack-attack-arte] but as you progress through the game the complexity of combos you can perform opens up quite a bit. The narrative is competent and interesting for a while but does fall apart eventually, although it still avoids the lows of other games in the series. It's probably the best looking game in the series thanks to the cell-shaded style, but it also has good visual variety. It avoids issues that other Tales games have with repeated maps and hallways too.

I was playing the PSX version . I finally beat him almost immediately after posting that. I did pretty much what you said, but I kept Mint in my party lol. She was just used to spam Nurse.

I think it's replaced Symphonia as my favorite Tales game. In fact, it's made me like Symphonia a little less because of how much it feels like a retread of Phantasia.

My problem with Mint is outside of healing she can't do anything. Buffs/debuffs don't last long enough in tales boss fights to be useful and random encounters are usually over before they cast. Yeah she gets time stop but that mostly makes it difficult to combo things with Cless or Suzu.

I generally just use Mint as a inventory healer and rotate out chester or suzu depending on who's more useful in a given area.

LX_Theo

Banned
LX_Theo,

Vesperia is well rounded and I think the best recommendation for those new to the series. Despite what you may have heard about the oft-clamored PS3 version, the 360 game is still a full worthwhile game, with no essential missing ends. Yes the PS3 version has a ton of additions (enough to prompt me to import the game) but I wouldn't use a missing localization as an excuse to never play the game. Whether you have an available 360 could be an issue.

Vesperia has the best cast, especially its lead character. Honestly, he alone props the game up a notch, as he's quite different from just about every other JRPG protag out there. While the combat is a step down from Graces it's still fun to master the character styles and chain combos (although it takes some time to 'fully unlock' some of the systems). Combat starts out perhaps a little too simple [attack-attack-attack-arte] but as you progress through the game the complexity of combos you can perform opens up quite a bit. The narrative is competent and interesting for a while but does fall apart eventually, although it still avoids the lows of other games in the series. It's probably the best looking game in the series thanks to the cell-shaded style, but it also has good visual variety. It avoids issues that other Tales games have with repeated maps and hallways too.
Don't own a 360 and don't plan to until they're really, really cheap (I currently only have one game on it I want to play that I can play otherwise).

But I do keep an active list of games I keep an eye on, thats a good enough recommendation to get on there.

My problem with Mint is outside of healing she can't do anything. Buffs/debuffs don't last long enough in tales boss fights to be useful and random encounters are usually over before they cast. Yeah she gets time stop but that mostly makes it difficult to combo things with Cless or Suzu.

I generally just use Mint as a inventory healer and rotate out chester or suzu depending on who's more useful in a given area.

Chester and Suzu were my least used characters in the game. By the time I got Chester back, I felt like I was too far ahead of him level-wise for him to be useful. I did the thing at the Inns but it didn't help enough imo. And Suzu was way too far behind to even be a consideration. She's a cool character though.

Young Magus

Is there any video comparing the ps3 and or ps2 gameplay with the gamecubes?

FSLink

Banned
To clarify, Youtube only shows 30FPS videos so it'd be difficult to tell the difference. There used to be direct footage for Symphonia GC and PS2 on an external site when they originally came out, but I can't find them anymore. :/

Chester and Suzu were my least used characters in the game. By the time I got Chester back, I felt like I was too far ahead of him level-wise for him to be useful. I did the thing at the Inns but it didn't help enough imo. And Suzu was way too far behind to even be a consideration. She's a cool character though.

Chester levels easily as an archer because he doesn't get hit ever and can pot shot people all day. AI Suzu is kinda meh but playing as her can be fun, she also levels pretty quick if you throw her in the party for a bit. In a game where you have two mages who stop the entire battle for screen nukes every 5 seconds random encounters generally aren't scary at all

Chester levels easily as an archer because he doesn't get hit ever and can pot shot people all day. AI Suzu is kinda meh but playing as her can be fun, she also levels pretty quick if you throw her in the party for a bit. In a game where you have two mages who stop the entire battle for screen nukes every 5 seconds random encounters generally aren't scary at all

Good to know. When I go through the game on Mania I'll be sure to use Chester more.

And yeah, the constant pausing with three casters did get old pretty fast lol.

Good to know. When I go through the game on Mania I'll be sure to use Chester more.

And yeah, the constant pausing with three casters did get old pretty fast lol.

A fan translation of the psp version is on the way that doesn't have spell stop AND adds a 7th playable character which should change things up a lot

A fan translation of the psp version is on the way that doesn't have spell stop AND adds a 7th playable character which should change things up a lot

Sweet. I'd love to play the game with full voice acting and no spell pausing in battle.

I wonder if Bamco will do anything for the game's 20th anniversary next year. It'd be cool to get an official localization or a new remake.

Rhapsody

Banned
Sweet. I'd love to play the game with full voice acting and no spell pausing in battle.

I wonder if Bamco will do anything for the game's 20th anniversary next year. It'd be cool to get an official localization or a new remake.

I would've loved a full remake if I was asked that many years ago. Phantasia's pretty nostalgic for me.

The amount of ports and small upgrades somewhat cheapens it for me if they do decide to.

I would've loved a full remake if I was asked that many years ago. Phantasia's pretty nostalgic for me.

The amount of ports and small upgrades somewhat cheapens it for me if they do decide to.

I can understand that. It's like the FF4 of the Tales series at this point, with all the ports and updates.

My dream would be a remake with the visuals and gameplay of Vesperia, but there's zero chance of that happening lol

So I started playing Vesperia now that I'm done with Phantasia.

My first thoughts:

1.Good God this game is beautiful. I'm seriously in awe after having played Xillia.

2.The combat is going to take some getting used to. I get ganked pretty easily when there are more than two enemies. It also seems like blocking isn't as responsive as it should be, but I'll see if it's just something I need to get used to.

3.Yuri and Repede are awesome.

4.I really miss the open fields in newer games. I wish Bamco would give more funding to the Tales team so we could get more games that feel this quality all around. :(

Have they ever answered why they changed the way the games are set up after Vesperia? I'm actually really curious.

FSLink

Banned
So I started playing Vesperia now that I'm done with Phantasia.

My first thoughts:

1.Good God this game is beautiful. I'm seriously in awe after having played Xillia.

2.The combat is going to take some getting used to. I get ganked pretty easily when there are more than two enemies. It also seems like blocking isn't as responsive as it should be, but I'll see if it's just something I need to get used to.

3.Yuri and Repede are awesome.

4.I really miss the open fields in newer games. I wish Bamco would give more funding to the Tales team so we could get more games that feel this quality all around. :(

Have they ever answered why they changed the way the games are set up after Vesperia? I'm actually really curious.

For #2, the enemy AI is really badly programmed. They will ALWAYS target the human controlled character, and this is more obviously seen on harder difficulties especially in Arenas. It also doesn't help that early on Free Run is slow.

I think open fields vs world map is just them trying to be "ambitious", but they haven't put the resources or time to make them look good. I personally don't mind the look of Xillia's fields, but they needed to put more content in them besides just random bags of crap. They should either spend more time on them in making them interesting, or just go back to the Vesperia styled world maps.

Top Bottom