• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

squadr0n

hopefully the next Tales game is on PS4 after Zesteria...

The first Xillia game might not have been the greatest but Xillia 2 is shaping up to be my favorite other than Vesperia obviously. But just from the setting alone it makes it the game im highly anticipating. Since were not getting a ps3 Vesperia, im hoping we will get a sequal for ps4 or another game from the same team.

raven777

Currently playing Graces F JP version. About 25 hours in and I am liking it. The battle system is really fun as expected but I am still finding it a bit difficult compared to games like Vesperia and Xillia.

LuuKyK

Just reached Yormgen in Vesperia.

Jesus, how can this game be so pretty? I absolutely love how every single city looks in the game.

Took a break from Xillia like... geeze a month ago now and tried to pick it up today. For w/e reason it is not holding my attention anymore. Played like 20 mins and put it back down.

I want to like these tales games but I always play them like this. Their pacing is odd. It's like watching a movie, then jumping into the sequels right away, I always just get burnt out on the story. Maybe I need another month before going back or something.

Rhapsody

Banned
Took a break from Xillia like... geeze a month ago now and tried to pick it up today. For w/e reason it is not holding my attention anymore. Played like 20 mins and put it back down.

I want to like these tales games but I always play them like this. Their pacing is odd. It's like watching a movie, then jumping into the sequels right away, I always just get burnt out on the story. Maybe I need another month before going back or something.

As someone that plays every Tales game, I have a tendency to take hiatuses on playthroughs, even if I do end up really liking them towards the end. The only one I didn't stop on was Destiny Remake.

aravuus

Eh it works in a different way in my case, I have to play Tales games nonstop otherwise my interest kinda fades. But tbh it works like that for every game with me. I never left a Tales game unfinished though, they were all enjoyable to some extent for me.

Same here. I haven't played Divinity: OS for a couple of weeks for example and I'm dangerously close to just forgetting it.

There's one Tales game I never finished though. The one where a gibberish-talking girl drops from the sky and you take her to your village, can't remember which one it was.

e: oh and actually the one with the talking sword too, but iirc the translation was half done and it's missing its skits or something? cba in that case

Datschge

There's one Tales game I never finished though. The one where a gibberish-talking girl drops from the sky and you take her to your village, can't remember which one it was.

e: oh and actually the one with the talking sword too, but iirc the translation was half done and it's missing its skits or something? cba in that case

Sounds like you didn't complete the first two Tales games released in the West. :D I guess the first one you refer to is Meredy in Eternia (Destiny II in the US), the second the Swordians in Destiny.

aravuus

Yesss, those names sound familiar. Maybe I'll get around to finishing them some day. Certainly not now though, I'm on a short summer vacation and I haven't had this many shows, games and books in progress in a while lol

Currently in my first ever playthrough of Symphonia (never had a GCN). This game was hyped up for me quite a bit considering most of the people I talk to say it's far better than all the titles after it (I consider Abyss and Vesperia my 1-2 favs in the series).

While I realize the game is old and dated, I'm not enjoying it that much. The battle system is simple (I don't blame it) and the graphic style (all characters look like/are kids except Kratos/Raine so far) is a bit of a turn off (same reason I cannot enjoy Grandia 1 or even FF7 in a way). How ever I am still very early in the game (~7 hours) and just reached
Palmacosta and started the search for the book of resurrection

While I'm used to ~10h grind until a catch like in other JRPGs but I'm finding myself playing less and less as Xillia 2s release date approaches. Is there something big coming up that I should play to like in Abyss with
Luke and Akzeriuth
or did I miss the boat playing this game far too late in the Tales life?

Holmes

I'm on my fourth playthrough of Symphonia for the platinum. So close! I can do these dungeons and puzzles blindfolded now.

Soon I'm gonna play Vesperia PS3 with the English script browser, Kouli's guide, Aselia, and the trophy guide on playstationtrophies.org. Tired of waiting for a patch that is taking forever to come out when I can manage with 10 tabs open while I play. :p I'm pretty excited!

Seda

Vesperia PS3 is one of my few imported games. It's seriously great. Kouli's guide will cover all side quests and is easy to follow.

I didn't bother with an English script guide though. Made getting Raven's waiter Title a pain haha.

LuuKyK

So, do I need to spoiler tag Vesperia's plot? I will anyway, in respect to those who didn't play it yet.

So, I honestly didn't expect Raven to be with the Imperial Knights! That kinda got me by surprise. I knew there was something shady about him, but once he revealed he worked with the Don, I thought that was he secret, but there was even another plot twist related to him. lol That was great. I also feel there is something really important related to Judy that is still to be revealed, can't wait for the story to go even further. I love everything about the game so far. Also, from a skit I've seen, I am assuming Rita is the doughter of that great mage or something? Sure seems like it.

I have to say though, all these names like apatheia, entelexeia, adephagos and whatever are VERY confusing, I had to stop and read those datalogs and do some thinking to actually understand what the hell was going on. Reminded me of the l'cies and fal'cies of FFXIII. lol

Currently playing through Tales of the Abyss, here's a problem i have with Guy, i can't use ANY Artes with him, whenever i try there's this block/crossed out symbol showing up??

It doesn't say anything special in Status so i assume it's not a status effect? How can i get rid of this?

aravuus

Currently playing through Tales of the Abyss, here's a problem i have with Guy, i can't use ANY Artes with him, whenever i try there's this block/crossed out symbol showing up??

It doesn't say anything special in Status so i assume it's not a status effect? How can i get rid of this?

There's an accessory that gives you 1.5 times more EXP but seals that character's artes. Maybe you've got it equipped?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I went back to Tales of the Abyss (3DS) to do some sidequest stuff and now all I'm doing in the game is playing poker. Is something wrong with me?

Since Tales of Symphonia Chronicles was only 7 dollars, I'm currently playing Dawn of the New World.

Its....not as bad as I thought it would be, but still pretty mediocre. Emil is such an annoying protagonist and the gameplay feels pretty dated compared to the likes of Graces, Xillia and even Vesperia. Likewise, the game goes from boring dungeon to boring dungeon because of the lack of fields. Its..passable enough to play it mindlessly.

FSLink

Banned
Since Tales of Symphonia Chronicles was only 7 dollars, I'm currently playing Dawn of the New World.

Its....not as bad as I thought it would be, but still pretty mediocre. Emil is such an annoying protagonist and the gameplay feels pretty dated compared to the likes of Graces, Xillia and even Vesperia. Likewise, the game goes from boring dungeon to boring dungeon because of the lack of fields. Its..passable enough to play it mindlessly.
It's a side game and the budget reflects that. Don't expect something like a mainline title like Graces and I think it's an okay title.

Dtwizzy

Neo Member
First post on GAF so bear with me...

The tales series is very dear to me because of childhood memories of Tales of Phantasia. So much good memories of that game back in the day and i kept playing it for so long because i didn't have any of the later consoles afterwards until Xbox 360. So of course when vesperia dropped on 360 i was so hyped for it and of course it lived up to it. It had the same feeling like Phantasia, likable characters and stories, great battle system and overall fun world.

But here is the thing, after vesperia when Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the new world dropped i also played that game, it was enjoyable but not like Phantasia and Vesperia. The main 2 characters weren't that unique except for the original cast of Symphonia. Every time they where in my party the game felt more like a tales game to me because they all had back stories and felt more fleshed out. I afterwards tried out Tales of Symphonia on gamecube mode on wii and sadly couldn't bear with the graphics even though it seems like a enjoyable game.

Now here is the other thing about the series. The newer games Xillia 1 & 2 and even Zesteria... the don't appeal to me at all.... Mostly because of the character designs. The seem so bland and boring.. most of the dudes wear some kind of formal wear with ties and all and seem so boring. Only Milla Maxwell looks like a fun and "tales like" character who is unique. My question is why do these games look so different from each other in terms of character design??? To me the earlier games had more unique characters and vesperia to. Also the battles in Xillia 1 & 2 look clunkier than vesperia.. something about how enemies react to attacks and overall animations look kinda off and woody. The new games don't ever give me an urge or hype me enough to play them for some reason like vesperia did when it was revealed and showed in trailers and videos.

The reason why i post this all of a sudden is because i just saw the review of xillia 2 on gametrailers and suddenly felt like posting this to see what others think.

Is it just me or do other Gaffers feel the same?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't know, I actually really like the character design in Tales games and especially Xillia was very different and unique in that regard. If it's just about what they wear, you could change that with different costumes (for a price). Maybe Abyss is something you'd enjoy more? Or the upcoming Tales of Hearts R?

aravuus

I love a snazzy suit so I'm okay with the formal shit and ties and neat slim fitting shirts and so on some of the ToX2 characters seem to be wearing

More than okay really, there's just way too many ugly super anime outfits in JRPGs, though I guess it comes with the territory.

MSMrRound

Still kinda wish we could have gotten that Code Geass and Madoka outfits over here...but licensing issues I guess.

I remember quite a few of us were pleasantly surprised when they made the Idolmaster outfits available. Guess I can still equip Leia with that one.

Dtwizzy

Neo Member
I don't know, I actually really like the character design in Tales games and especially Xillia was very different and unique in that regard. If it's just about what they wear, you could change that with different costumes (for a price). Maybe Abyss is something you'd enjoy more? Or the upcoming Tales of Hearts R?

It's not just the outfits though. The battle animations really looked clunky to me and not as fluid as vesperia. Also walking around in the world seemed like a downgrade from vesperia.

i actually liked the cast from vesperia, they were very difference. Very anime like but still cool and unique. Kinda like the characters from Phantasia, very unique and different.

MSMrRound

Welp. Looks like my retailer assigned a Collector's Ed to me when I only pre-ordered the Day 1 edition ._. hopefully gonna sort it out tomorrow...

So i finally beat
Van
on my very first Abyss playthrough, it sure feels like the game is over now but you never know? Anyway i rather enjoyed it and though i am RLTTP on this one i'd rate it something like a 7.8 out of 10 ;) not amazing but pretty good! Can't wait to play Vesperia, Graces and Xillia now.

Seda

So i finally beat
Van
on my very first Abyss playthrough, it sure feels like the game is over now but you never know? Anyway i rather enjoyed it and though i am RLTTP on this one i'd rate it something like a 7.8 out of 10 ;) not amazing but pretty good! Can't wait to play Vesperia, Graces and Xillia now.

I'd go Vesperia first if possible, as it's the most similar to Abyss mechanically/structurally.

It's also probably the most "well-rounded" Tales game. Best looking for sure.

Stuart444

So how long has the chat with the directors of the Tales series on NicoNico been going on?

About 2 hours and 15 minutes from time of posting lol.

Zestiria will be at TGS for those not watching.

And more importantly, release date will be announced in the 9/13 issue of Shonen Jump next month. :D Finally.

Top Bottom