• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Sir, you need to look at the magnificent specimen that is Viva Pianta.

Nah i already played that back in the day when i used to own one like 6 years ago ;)

It's ok though, i DID get a 360 in the meantime and ordered ToV asap!! I also figured i will grab Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Splosion Man sometime soon ;)

Necrovex

Nah i already played that back in the day when i used to own one like 6 years ago ;)

It's ok though, i DID get a 360 in the meantime and ordered ToV asap!! I also figured i will grab Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Splosion Man sometime soon ;)

One of my regrets is never going Blue Dragon a fair shake.

My friend picked up Xillia the other day, and that has triggered my excitement for Xillia 2. Any deals for that game on the horizon?

Did Namco ever addressed why Millia was given a lisp?

Hello Tales gaf. I'm new to the series and am currently halfway through Xillia but I have a really serious question that will directly effect my enjoyment of ToX 2....

So regarding both games,

Does Jude ever recognise Leia's love for him or does Leia ever straight up say it? I really don't like dense protagonists. I know Jude is all up in Millia's pancake but is he that oblivious? Poor Leia.

Really enjoying Xillia and plan to get ToX 2 as well :)

Young Magus

Zero. 0. None. Nada.

Just wait for a future port of Vesperia, it'll come eventually, Namco likes to port Tales games.

It's worth buying a 360 for Vesperia and the rest of the 360 library. The PS3 port doesn't really add much outside of end-game content. The PS3 port is also getting an English translation patch and it's also easy enough to play if you've already beaten Vesperia in English.

Thats still getting worked on!? Bless their hearts. What are the final touches for the patch?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World considered canon (aka part of the mothership titles)? I mean Xillia 2 and Destiny 2 were mothership titles...

Is Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World considered canon (aka part of the mothership titles)? I mean Xillia 2 and Destiny 2 were mothership titles...

It's canon in terms of it is a sequel to Tales of Symphonia but it is not a mothership title like how Destiny 2 and Xillia 2 are.

It is probably more of akin of a Tales games that Namco wants to sweep under the rug like Tales of Te-who must not be named.

TaiKH92

Banned
People should I play Tales of Graces f? I've heard the story awful and Asbel is awful and the OST is awful so I don't know if I should buy it, how good are the environments, is there variety? Thanks if someone sees this post XD

Seda

People should I play Tales of Graces f? I've heard the story awful and Asbel is awful and the OST is awful so I don't know if I should buy it, how good are the environments, is there variety? Thanks if someone sees this post XD

The main draw is the gameplay/combat. Unlike other TP-based Tales games where you might string 3 regular attacks followed by a few arte attacks, the system in Graces is quite different. Without going into too much detail, you basically can chain many artes together using CC (instead of TP) and you can boost your CC mid combo by evading attacks and such. The battle system rewards timing and dodging and knowing which attacks to use when. Many argue it has the best gameplay in the series, and it also uses titles for skills and passive effects in battle (rather than just being effectively collectables).

The story and characters are pretty terrible though (especially Asbel). If you have a hard time shrugging that off then you probably won't like it.

Oh, to answer your question, I thought the cities were pretty decent aesthetically, but many of the dungeons are kinda samey maze-like paths.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think the story of Graces f is bad. It's just generic and simple.

Think of it as a PSone era RPG game.

Soriku

Characters aren't terrible in Graces and the Asbel hate is overblown.

The story is OK and the soundtrack has some good tracks, but nothing too special overall.

I'd get it for the gameplay and most of the cast.

For me, Vesperia was the pinnacle of the series. I liked the battle system in Graces but the rest of the game was... yes, generic and simple. I haven't finished Xillia and I don't think I'm gonna buy Xillia 2.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I see nothing mentioned of the DLC on the Amazon pre-order page for the regular edition. Also, apparently Xillia 2 is getting an official guide by Prima, and the page for that lists "Exclusive DLC". So we'll see.

As a part of the guide?

ULTROS!

I'm kind of in a Tales mood these days, still heavily anticipating for Xillia 2 and Hearts R this year. :/

So what should I play?
- Tales of Legendia?
- Tales of Innocence NDS?
- Tales of Destiny PSX (if my PSX still works)?
- Tales of Phantasia PSX?

I still need to find a copy of Tales of Eternia PSP EU though. :/

Labadal

I'm kind of in a Tales mood these days, still heavily anticipating for Xillia 2 and Hearts R this year. :/

So what should I play?
- Tales of Legendia?
- Tales of Innocence NDS?
- Tales of Destiny PSX (if my PSX still works)?
- Tales of Phantasia PSX?

I still need to find a copy of Tales of Eternia PSP EU though. :/

Yes, yes, you must.

Aw dip, ya'll! Guess what came in the mail today:
BMYontV.jpg

THE BEST! So much the best that they put it on the cover TWICE. It's double bestest! I was in the middle of Graces F, but eff that I now have PATTY AND FLYNN HOORAY!

Rhapsody

Banned
Not bringing out my PS2 or needing multitap for Destiny remake would be great. Especially since I never purchased my own copy of DC.

If it ever got on Vita somehow, I would love it if they kept in multiplayer. They've been neglecting to in all the handheld ports.

ULTROS!

After my Tales of Symphonia HD playthrough...

Why are animations really awkward? Then again this is the first 3D Tales game.

aravuus

Damn, Luke is a tiiiiny bit more obnoxious in Tales of the Abyss than I remembered lmao

Fighting feels a bit clunky after ToGF and ToX, but it's still such a great game

e: oh shit, got epee from din for guy around the time you're headed for zao ruins, attack power went from around 300 to over 600 rofl

i love it when this kind of stuff is possible

Ultratech

I wish Namco Bandai will make a Tales of Destiny HD Collection for PS3 and Vita. :(

ToD Remake in glorious HD?

I would pay mad money for that.

I'd only play Tales of Destiny PSX if you've literally played every other localized Tales game, it's really dated

Yeah, I tried to play it before I played the Remake and I couldn't do it.

Also didn't help that I started playing it right after I finished Tales of Phantasia PSX.

Damn, Luke is a tiiiiny bit more obnoxious in Tales of the Abyss than I remembered lmao

Fighting feels a bit clunky after ToGF and ToX, but it's still such a great game

e: oh shit, got epee from din for guy around the time you're headed for zao ruins, attack power went from around 300 to over 600 rofl

i love it when this kind of stuff is possible

Currently playing this for the first time, i actually am just past Zao ruins myself :p

Yeah it's pretty standard JRPG fare right now but that's a good thing, i like it :)

Started replaying Vesperia and good lord, I forgot how good the visuals are. The artstyle holds up better than I thought it did. It's a lot easier on the eyes than Xillia, imo.

Forgot how good Yuri's VAing is, too. Troy Baker can do no wrong, apparently.

Bladenic

Started replaying Vesperia and good lord, I forgot how good the visuals are. The artstyle holds up better than I thought it did. It's a lot easier on the eyes than Xillia, imo.

Forgot how good Yuri's VAing is, too. Troy Baker can do no wrong, apparently.

I really hope they use cell-shading again for the first PS4/current gen game.

LuuKyK

Omg, I found a 360 physical copy of Vesperia to buy in my country (its quite rare around here).

godisreal.gif

I will experience it fully for the first time. Envy my Tales GAF.

Levyne

Banned
Omg, I found a 360 physical copy of Vesperia to buy in my country (its quite rare around here).

godisreal.gif

I will experience it fully for the first time. Envy my Tales GAF.

Nice! It's one Tale game I really like a lot, it's really the whole package. I like it a fair bit.

Seda

Coming off of Graces, Vesperia will likely feel slow at first, but it does open up a bit when you gain more artes and abilities - allowing more chain possibilities. Just takes a little time.

Coming off of Graces, Vesperia will likely feel slow at first, but it does open up a bit when you gain more artes and abilities - allowing more chain possibilities. Just takes a little time.

This is true. Vesperia is a bit more technical and has some late game requirements to really chain together insane combos, but once you take the time throughout the game to get most (if not all) of their skills and spend some time learning the characters, you can pull off some awesome stuff. Judith in particular is fantastic.

Though I do wish more characters in that game had good combo capabilities without relying so much on overlimit.

squadr0n

I need some help with Tales of Xillia's Battle system. Is there a video I can watch that shows the correct way to do the linked artes, especially the chain link.

This is basically my first Tales of game other than the few hours I put into Vesperia. I understood how the battlesystem worked in Vesperia but Ive been having some trouble in Xillia. Especially around the bosses. I can fight normal enimes fine but when I get to the boss I feel like I have no idea what im doing.

Is there anyone that can help me understand this games battlesystem. When I do a link artes and it says their is a chance for a chain what do i do?

Soriku

I need some help with Tales of Xillia's Battle system. Is there a video I can watch that shows the correct way to do the linked artes, especially the chain link.

This is basically my first Tales of game other than the few hours I put into Vesperia. I understood how the battlesystem worked in Vesperia but Ive been having some trouble in Xillia. Especially around the bosses. I can fight normal enimes fine but when I get to the boss I feel like I have no idea what im doing.

Is there anyone that can help me understand this games battlesystem. When I do a link artes and it says their is a chance for a chain what do i do?

Chain Chance means you can use another regular arte (using regular arte button activation, like O + Up for example, not R2) to activate another Link Arte. So check out your list of Link Artes (through the battle menu) and see which artes create Link Artes.

Labadal

This is the tutorial shown in-game. I know you probably wanted something else, but maybe it helps if you rewatch it a couple of times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brAPOqjo4hE

Once the blue bar to the left is filled and it blinks, you perform an arte and press R2, then you can start chaining artes as explained/shown in the video.

squadr0n

This is the tutorial shown in-game. I know you probably wanted something else, but maybe it helps if you rewatch it a couple of times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brAPOqjo4hE

Once the blue bar to the left is filled and it blinks, you perform an arte and press R2, then you can start chaining artes as explained/shown in the video.

Thanks so much, this helped me find out what I needed to know pretty much. Now im just gunna go power level alil bit before I face the Boss in Bermia Gorge

Top Bottom