• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Roto13

Does this game feature a co-op battle system?

The original version did so I assume this one does too.

It's 2D combat like the older games, right? Never played Symphonia.

It's 3D but you can't free run. Enemies and party members can be all over the place but you can only really move in 3 dimensions by targeting an enemy and moving towards it or away from it.

iyIsbfHlSXeWb.jpg

Now I understand why it's not called Tales of Symphonia HD Collection. Looks like shit and any decent PC + Dolphin could put it to shame. Scamco indeed.

I will do my best to AVOID playing my GC version... don't want to remember what the glorious 60 FPS feels like. What a freakin' shame man.

Labadal

It's a 3d arena but you can only move towards or away from a targeted enemy. Effectively, no free run.

It's 3D but you can't free run. Enemies and party members can be all over the place but you can only really move in 3 dimensions by targeting an enemy and moving towards it or away from it.

That sounds not so good. Ah well, I played Phantasia two years ago and didn't have a problem with the combat. Hopefully, this won't be that big of a deal for my enjoyment.

Calabi

I'm not sure about this, this is one RPG where the 60fps would be useful as the battles are not turn based. I died alot in the Gamecube version because it was so difficult.

FSLink

Banned
I'm still getting it since I want to support the series. But yeah the 30FPS is really noticable if you played the GC version. I'm used to it since I beat the PS2 version a few times and supposedly this is smoother with better load times. Some of you being okay with their lackluster port job baffles me though. It was a terrible port back then and it still is now.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
(complete ToS noob here)
Is it me or are the English voices pretty awful?

The english voices are pretty great, especially if you were a fan of teen titans.

Not sure if I want to try out the Japanese voices since I'm so attatched to the english voices.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They got rid of the outline from the original, which makes it look extra strange.

So THAT what's missing...

Man, this is a minimum effort from Namco, but goddamn it, I'm still gonna buy it.

Also, considering we'll never get Vesperia PS3... how do we unlock the cameo costumes from that game?

3Kaze

tri-Crescendo did the "port". I think Namco would have done a better job like Graces f.

Also, considering we'll never get Vesperia PS3... how do we unlock the cameo costumes from that game?
You unlock every costumes by completing the game.

Seik

Banned
Hmmm...

Was there any explanations on why it's not 60fps? For a game like this it wouldn't be so hard, I guess?

I can totally deal with shitty textures though. It's really the fact that it's not 60fps that kills the deal to me. :/

I'll probably end up buying it, but I'm thinking about playing it on Dolphin instead now...

Semajer

Fantastic title. I'm looking forward to this, but I'm not thrilled about the crummy framerate, missing outlines, and meh names for the new content
Holy Binds? Really?

Still, I've been waiting years to finally be able to play the PS2 content.

Joqu

I wasn't really following this closely but... yikes. I'd be willing to forgive the framerate but the lack of outlines really kills the whole look. Why would they do that? :(

Hmmm...

Was there any explanations on why it's not 60fps? For a game like this it wouldn't be so hard, I guess?

I can totally deal with shitty textures though. It's really the fact that it's not 60fps that kills the deal to me. :/

I'll probably end up buying it, but I'm thinking about playing it on Dolphin instead now...

because its technically a port of the ps2 version, which was 30fps.

still a piss poor excuse. 'why not both' approach for rereleases/remasters/etc isn't a rare concept.

oddly enough though, i'd probably pick this up if there wasn't another tales game coming in a few months. Can only really play one a year lol.

Isaccard

Funny how much fans wanted this, and how unlikely some will buy it now due to lack of effort on Bamco's part.

30 FPS doesn't bother me, it's certainly not unplayable as most make it out to be, I can even deal with the shifty textures, but man, that vanilla battle system. Not sure if want.

jrcbandit

Hadn't carefully followed this release. Thinking of cancelling my pre-order of the CE with the big downgrades from the GameCube version.

akileese

Hadn't carefully followed this release. Thinking of cancelling my pre-order of the CE with the big for downgrades from the GameCube version.

Me too. The extras are cool and all, but $100 is a steep price for a downgrade of a game on a what, 15 year old piece of hardware?

(complete ToS noob here)
Is it me or are the English voices pretty awful?

They are if you play Dawn of the New World.

So Skits...

If I remember correctly the GCN version did not have voiced skits. Will this release have voiced skits?

Nope (unless you choose the Japanese voices). New Mystics are voiced though.

You don't need a save file from the other games?

IIIRC the save file gives you the costume at the start instead of you having to beat the game to obtain it.

Funny how much fans wanted this, and how unlikely some will buy it now due to lack of effort on Bamco's part.

funny isn't probably the right word, disappointment is more like it lol.

How many tales games are there where battles are 30fps?

It's pretty much just this and abyss 3ds and 5fps gba phantasia?

Isaccard

funny isn't probably the right word, disappointment is more like it lol.

How many tales games are there where battles are 30fps?

It's pretty much just this and abyss 3ds and 5fps gba phantasia?

3DS Abyss was a downgrade but I enjoyed it just fine. It was still playable.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The new Mystic Arts are voiced in English? Were the lines already recorded at the time the NGC version was made?

SaintZ

What costumes do you get with a Graces F/Xillia saves?
Malik for Regal, Pascal for Raine, Alvin for Zelos and Elize for Presea.

I'm kinda excited for this because I love Symphonia so much but yeah the port is pretty disappointing. I'd have loved to get the CE tho.

the 30FPS is super disappointing to me, especially as I already have this on GC.

Are all those bonuses really worth 60 dollars extra the cost of the game? Debating about cancelling my CE through amazon.
Doubt they learned their lesson from the Bravely Default fiasco anyway

The english voices are pretty great, especially if you were a fan of teen titans.

Not sure if I want to try out the Japanese voices since I'm so attatched to the english voices.

I don't really like the Teen Titans, so I may just play in Japanese. Every time Lloyd opens his mouth I think I'm playing as Robin. Scott Menville did a great job voicing Lloyd, but his voice is so distinct, I find it hard to separate it from other characters he has voice acted. I'm just happy we have the choice between English and Japanese. Dual audio should be the standard going forward if it's viable.

Semajer

The new Mystic Arts are voiced in English? Were the lines already recorded at the time the NGC version was made?

I know at the very least one of Raine's was, but the localisation is different from later entries. She says Sacred Light instead of Sacred Shine. I think the names are different for Zelos and Kratos' too.

FSLink

Banned

No, they went back and rerecorded them, which is why I'm disappointed there's no voiced English skits. Yeah, it's more expensive but it's the anniversary game. :(

They also changed Shining Bind -> Holy Binds. Which is fucking dumb since it was already called Shining Bind in Vesperia, Radiant Mythology, and Dawn of the New World. Someone was lazy checking names for the localization. :/

I don't really like the Teen Titans, so I may just play in Japanese. Every time Lloyd opens his mouth I think I'm playing as Robin. Scott Menville did a great job voicing Lloyd, but his voice is so distinct, I find it hard to separate it from other characters he has voice acted. I'm just happy we have the choice between English and Japanese. Dual audio should be the standard going forward if it's viable.

I think even if you're a fan of the English dub for Symphonia, Japanese is probably the way to go because of voiced skits + having consistent voices from ToS1->DotNW

FSLink

Banned
the 30FPS is super disappointing to me, especially as I already have this on GC.

Are all those bonuses really worth 60 dollars extra the cost of the game? Debating about cancelling my CE through amazon.
Doubt they learned their lesson from the Bravely Default fiasco anyway

Honestly unless you're a huge Tales fan or want dual-audio/voiced skits, not really.

Hero

30 FPS? What the fuck?

This looks horrible. Guess I'll be keeping my GCN version and just run it on Dolphin when I want to replay it.

Top Bottom