• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

PKrockin

Oh shit,
I'm going to actually raise Kratos's affection now that I can't just have him join regardless. Why did they change that?

Have you played it recently? It only really lagged with stuff like Meteor Storm, Judgement + a high tier spell, any of the higher tier water spells, and certain Unison Attacks (Prism Stars mostly). I wouldn't say it was too crazy or anything. It was still 60FPS most of the time, plus on the overworld too. The slowdown was also not so slow that it was unbearable, sometimes it just lent itself to a cool slow down effect and not "oh my god the game can't handle this" like it does in Xillia sometimes. :p

The PS2 version was definitely not a locked 30FPS either from what I recall, but they fixed certain Unison Attacks up to be 30FPS (Prism Stars looks quick now). I heard they fixed this in the PS3 release so it may be better along with the better load times. The PS2 version had moments where it had worse loading than PS2 Abyss. :p

You can blame the PS2 port of Symphonia on the crappy PS2 Abyss loading btw. :D
Yeah, I played it recently and it only slows down when two high spells are cast at the same time. And half of the time that happens it'll be Raine casting one of her healing spells that don't significantly contribute to slowdown. Genis and Raine are the only two who get significant high spells anyway, any additional casters are going to be using more mid spells.

As for Prism Stars, rather than just fixing the slowdown (it actually didn't have much in my experience) I think they also changed the attack itself to go much faster. You don't hear the enemy's grunts from being hit anymore.

Hmm...think I'll wait a bit on this one. Love TOS to death, but I'm not paying forty bucks for DOTW and a half-assed graphical update. Japanese VO and PS2 content are too good to pass up, though...hope it won't become rare.

(complete ToS noob here)
Is it me or are the English voices pretty awful?

The original can range from good to mediocre. DOTW's is mostly fine too but comes as awkward if you've played the original since they recasted most of the original characters (Lloyd is really the only terrible one.. WTF were they thinking with that?)

Original Zelos said he came back. Not sure about the others but it's reasonable to assume that they did since Shiloh got the snub for part 2 because he's a union-only actor like the rest of the replaced actors.

Really? Cool! :)

Persona7

Banned
Guys, i'm curious. I've the CE edition pre-ordered in Amazon since October but the text in my pre-order still appears as:

I'm the only one, or is this normal even we're getting real close to the release date?

I got a email a few hours ago telling me my expected delivery date.

PKrockin

60FPS... unless there was a high-level spell or compound unison attack on the screen, in which it would dip briefly. Such instances were rare, though, since you don't get those spells later in the game.
Two high spells, really. Except if the spell in question was Tidal Wave sometimes, or Cyclone. lol Cyclone lagged the game to shit, but it sucked anyway IIRC.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, how big is the download version?

Also, since I haven't played either, which one is a better purchase for me between this and Tales of Graces F?

For reference, I liked Phantasia, loved Eternia, hated Abyss (though this is caused more by the characters, not the gameplay itself), loved Vesperia, and really liked Xillia.

Roto13

Also, since I haven't played either, which one is a better purchase for me between this and Tales of Graces F?

For reference, I liked Phantasia, loved Eternia, hated Abyss (though this is caused more by the characters, not the gameplay itself), loved Vesperia, and really liked Xillia.

If bad characters bother you, you should stay away from Graces.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If bad characters bother you, you should stay away from Graces.

Bad Story
Horrible Dungeon Designs
Forgettable OST

Do not forget those.

Only go for Graces F only for the gameplay.

Symphonia is like Abyss without the free run and without the mediocre cast.

Holmes

I got a Collector's Edition from Amazon! :D

I was wavering between standard and collector's, but the steelbook case tipped it for me. And it's a much better CE than Xillia's was, imo. God, I could not justify spending that money just for that ugly Milla figurine. Hopefully this CE isn't another TLoU Survival Edition and sticks out a lot on my shelf with my other games.

Seda

I liked Graces combat, but for some reason I had more problems with my party AI than I did in the other Tales games.

So glad I played these on GCN/Wii... so I know not to waste my time or money now. ToS was easily the most overhyped of the series... The characters are laughably bad, the choreography for cutscenes is horrid (there are multiple occasions where your team is corner by baddies, but the baddies LITERALLY walk out of the way so you can escape). Dialogue is a joke (the words "shut up" are used so often it literally gets painful) and the gameplay is very uninspired and more button mashey than even other Tales games (of which I do enjoy a lot!)

DotW... what can I say about this? I think I beat it at one point... I say think because I know I played it for an extended time but I literally remember almost nothing. Except for the fact that the game was just a giant tease of cameos from the first game and all of the new characters were secondary to that.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
60fps for most of the time but when there were a lot of spells it would dip.

60FPS... unless there was a high-level spell or compound unison attack on the screen, in which it would dip briefly. Such instances were rare, though, since you don't get those spells later in the game.

Gamecube ToS was 60FPS in battle, with some slowdown with the high level spells - like Meteor Storm.

Well looks like when I decide to play Symphonia, I'm hunting down the gamecube version.
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I can get a used copy off amazon for about 24.95 right now too

MrDaravon

Not super thrilled about the 30 FPS and the kinda poor "HD" quality, but still getting this because I love me some ToS. Also I no longer have a Gamecube, and ToS is one of only maybe 3 or so titles that actually makes me regret not having one so I can at least rectify that a bit.

So glad I played these on GCN/Wii... so I know not to waste my time or money now. ToS was easily the most overhyped of the series... The characters are laughably bad, the choreography for cutscenes is horrid (there are multiple occasions where your team is corner by baddies, but the baddies LITERALLY walk out of the way so you can escape). Dialogue is a joke (the words "shut up" are used so often it literally gets painful) and the gameplay is very uninspired and more button mashey than even other Tales games (of which I do enjoy a lot!)

DotW... what can I say about this? I think I beat it at one point... I say think because I know I played it for an extended time but I literally remember almost nothing. Except for the fact that the game was just a giant tease of cameos from the first game and all of the new characters were secondary to that.

So much wrong in one post.

PKrockin

I liked Graces combat, but for some reason I had more problems with my party AI than I did in the other Tales games.
Graces's characters won't ever dodge anything. Letting Hubert in melee is basically suicide in my experience.

Why in the world did you play DotNW if you hated Symphonia? Did nobody warn you it was worse?

Seda

The choreography is pretty laughable though. Even 14 year old me found the scene where
Colette throws her chakram and Genis runs in to shield fireballs the first time in Palmacosta
humorously inept. That's certainly one of the places the game shows its age.

ZeroX03

Banned
Graces f had the strongest characters and combat by far to me. Probably best art too.

As far as actual story goes, they all seem pretty trope filled and cliche to me. Interesting enough to stop me skipping cutscenes (hi FFXIII!), but out of Graces, Xillia, Abyss and what I've played of Symphonia, I wouldn't call any of them good. Haven't played Vesperia yet, though heard good things.

The choreography is pretty laughable though. Even 14 year old me found the scene where
Colette throws her chakram and Genis runs in to shield fireballs the first time in Palmacosta

And that's just the tip of the iceberg; there's many awkward movements and animations within the cutscenes that looked outdated even back in 2004.

Still adore the game to pieces, though. <3

Vazra

I found the Graces F combat overrated. It is good sure but somehow I found more entertainment from Xillia's combat.

The only thing I will have to give to Graces F was that every character was fun to play with which doesn't happens on the other games.

EDIT: Symphonia awkwardness in terms of animations and story elements actually adds to the charm.

Roto13

It's like they're incapable of speaking and moving at the same time. It was weird then and I can only assume it feels even weirder now.

I really liked Graces, story and all. I actually enjoyed its story significantly more than Vesperia, Abyss, and Xillia. The only two problems I had with it were that the F arc was boring aside from the Malik-Richard troll duo and that
Lambda's exposition was horribly executed. Magic walls of exposition thirty minutes before the final boss fight? What gives?

ToS has one of the best voice work in games. You guys cray.

Agreed. It feels the most natural and least exaggerated. Vesperia is the closest they've gotten to trumping Symphonia's voicework.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't get the point of this if they're not going to update the textures... I feel like it honestly would just look better on a standard def screen?

Seda

Symphonia was my first, so I'm biased towards it, but most of the things I like about Symphonia I thought Vesperia did better - cast, narrative, and battle gameplay.

However, the places where Symphonia has yet to be matched in the rest of the series, in my opinion of course, is the soundtrack and in the dungeon-explorable areas. I simply felt most locations had an adequate length, an appropriate amount of puzzles, and interesting map design - often with multiple floors and paths, not just a corridor, nor a bland open field, nor a boring maze. Sometimes these areas went a little overboard like Ymir Forest, however. Still much better than Graces or Xillia in that regard.

Roto13

Graces' dungeons actually made me angry. Like, how dare they make me trudge through this giant, boring lab or underground whatsits or whatever?

Vazra

I don't get the point of this if they're not going to update the textures... I feel like it honestly would just look better on a standard def screen?

The fact that GC version on Dolphin Emulator looks better speaks volumes.
maxresdefault.jpg
even in 720 like the Ps3 version

Cess007

even in 720 like the Ps3 version

Damn, i'm getting so fucking tempted to cancel my CE preorder. It looks like one of the most lazy HD ports and that money i could better use it in other things :/

Soriku

I will LAUGH when the numbers come out and people flip out that this sold more than Xillia.

Hmm...hmm...you know this could go either way.

Graces' terribleness is kind of overstated. The story has some good parts to it when it's focused more on Lhant and the characters and not the villains. It has some generally good characters too. For some reason one or two characters spoil the rest for some people.

Vazra

i played the PS3 version of Bayonetta
cant be worse than that right?

Bayonetta
Textures quality lower than 30
30fps vs 360 60fps
Long loadings

Symphonia
Downgraded to 30fps
Visuals in some areas might look worse than the original
No idea about the loading times

Roto13

Hmm...hmm...you know this could go either way.

Graces' terribleness is kind of overstated. The story has some good parts to it when it's focused more on Lhant and the characters and not the villains. It has some generally good characters too. For some reason one or two characters spoil the rest for some people.

The only tolerable character I remember is Pascal. Everyone else was annoying.

Why in the world did you play DotNW if you hated Symphonia? Did nobody warn you it was worse?

Early days of the Wii, didn't have much choice in the way of RPGs. It did get much better later on at least.

I'd almost agree with you... except that shot from dolphin is stretched the frig out and therefore loses by default.

weevles

Aw man, is this the ToS Chronicles thread or the hate on Graces F thread? :(

I liked that game.

I'm not so sure about Chronicles now. I have the CE on PO, but all this negative talk about everything is making me not want it. :p

Damn, i'm getting so fucking tempted to cancel my CE preorder. It looks like one of the most lazy HD ports and that money i could better use it in other things :/

ugh me too

also with the number of other shit for me to play, i'm finding it really hard to justify buying this other than I probably wont be able to get it later, and I remember liking the game, though it being "good" is probably a nostalgia thing. I'm pretty certain it's going to be not very good

I dunno man

Top Bottom