• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

FSLink

Banned
I'm also surprised they didn't add free run. Yeah, it'd break the game, but it broke Abyss and many other of the Tales games too aside from the few games that nerfed it to hell (Vesperia's FR is pretty slow, and it's borderline useless in Graces)

Antoids

Banned
That sounds not so good. Ah well, I played Phantasia two years ago and didn't have a problem with the combat. Hopefully, this won't be that big of a deal for my enjoyment.

I think the best way I've found to describe it is that your party and the enemies are positioned on a 3D plane, but it draws a line between you and the enemy you are targeting, so that you can only move along that line.

The combat itself is kind of like other Namco fighters. Specifically it reminds me of a simplified Soul Calibur.

===

Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite RPGs (I actually played through it again on Dolphin last year and it held up) but I'm kind of shocked at the incompetence of this port.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on the fence about getting this. I've always thought the combat in Symphonia was pretty stiff, but maybe I should play it like the 2D games, not the later ones. People often say it's the best in the series, but maybe it's just nostalgia.

The 30FPS issue doesn't really bother me in this case, it's that or the slowed down, interlaced PAL version, and I managed to beat Abyss on 3DS.

FSLink

Banned
I'm on the fence about getting this. I've always thought the combat in Symphonia was pretty stiff, but maybe I should play it like the 2D games, not the later ones. People often say it's the best in the series, but maybe it's just nostalgia.

The 30FPS issue doesn't really bother me in this case, it's that or the slowed down, interlaced PAL version, and I managed to beat Abyss on 3DS.

It's mostly nostalgia, and it honestly plays a lot like Eternia aside from looking 3D and having 3D Overworld so playing it like the 2D games is correct. It also has some of the better dungeons in the series (and a few of the worst, hello Ymir Forest), and the locales, despite being Phantasia remakes for the most part, are really cool and some of the better ones in the series.

30FPS isn't a huge deal gameplay wise considering Destiny 2 and Abyss's portable ports were 30FPS (I think Destiny 2 became 60 with a higher clock rate on the PSP), but it's highly disappointing and incompetent for an anniversary release of the "definitive" version.

Kouriozan

I completed the game 10+ times and I have 0 interest to go through it again.
About Dawn of the New World, I only finished it twice but it's enough because the game isn't actually good.

Tales of Symphonia is one of my most played games of all time, I finished it so many times...

I would have bought it if it was 60fps, but I think it's better this way. I hope everyone that buys it enjoys it.

And to be fair people, this is a port of the PS2 version. Which was 30FPS to begin with. Yeah its a basic port job, but it could've been a lot worse.

Not gonna pay again for a decade old game that "could've been a lot worse." Devs are getting lazier and lazier with these HD collections and I don't like it.

Still upset about SH Collection.

Persona7

Banned
I have one CE order from gamestop and one from amazon...I really hope they pack it well.

I was a idiot and missed the cut off in store.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Not gonna pay again for a decade old game that "could've been a lot worse." Devs are getting lazier and lazier with these HD collections and I don't like it.

Still upset about SH Collection.

This aint as bad as SH. Wasnt the Xbox version an unplayable mess for some?

This aint as bad as SH. Wasnt the Xbox version an unplayable mess for some?

I know, I just wish devs would stop half-assing collections like this. At least this one has some neat trinkets with it, I guess.

The XBox version of the SH HD Collection, you mean? Both versions are kind of a travesty in several ways but I think one of them got patched to fix a FEW things...don't remember which one.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I know, I just wish devs would stop half-assing collections like this. At least this one has some neat trinkets with it, I guess.

The XBox version of the SH HD Collection, you mean? Both versions are kind of a travesty in several ways but I think one of them got patched to fix a FEW things...don't remember which one.

Ps3 version got fixes but I think the 360 fans had a free game from Konami cause the 360 version was an unfixable mess *BS*

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The "I lied. It's actually..." - reference is from the original Symphonia right?

For those who gloss over the OP, a while back Kotaku posted a useful comparison between the PS3 and GCN version. You won't see the framerate difference of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBtEYlXXxI

I think I kinda prefer the thicker, black outline that the characters have in the GC version. It fits with their super-deformed look and flows with the sorta anime style. Almost made it look a bit cell-shaded.

With that said, PS3 version looks fine.

Shouta

That thread title, lol.

Picking it up but I'll probably just leave it on the shuffle for a really rainy day.

ZeroX03

Banned
Still gonna pick this up. Only got to play a little bit of Symphonia from Gamecube rental and never had the chance since. No 60fps is mind boggling though.

Didn't Symphonia have some sort of issues with Dolphin emulation? I remember trying it a few years back and the game ran smoothly but the sound was messed up and laggy and Googling told me it was unfixable. Can't play without good sound.

Vashzaron

Thread title killed me.

Still gonna pick this up. Only got to play a little bit of Symphonia from Gamecube rental and never had the chance since. No 60fps is mind boggling though.

Didn't Symphonia have some sort of issues with Dolphin emulation? I remember trying it a few years back and the game ran smoothly but the sound was messed up and laggy and Googling told me it was unfixable. Can't play without good sound.

Sounds issues have been long resolved.

TOS2 actually benefits from Dolphin / Wii more so in the gameplay aspect, get those Codes to unlock the TOS1 cast for leveling. This PS3 rerelease still has them locked down to force you to play with monsters.

Gojeran

Not defending them going 30FPS but come on now anybody who has played the GC version knows there are many many time the game is running no where even close to 60FPS. The battle slow down during heavy spell use is insane. I might still take that over a locked 30FPS but I'll withhold judgment (hehe) till I play it myself. Glad I kept my GC version all these years though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, didn't know bout the 30 FPS. I have a CE paid for (since I like soundtracks and those little chibi figures) but I don't like giving money over for a worse version of a title. Sends a poor message. =/

FSLink

Banned
Not defending them going 30FPS but come on now anybody who has played the GC version knows there are many many time the game is running no where even close to 60FPS. The battle slow down during heavy spell use is insane. I might still take that over a locked 30FPS but I'll withhold judgment (hehe) till I play it myself. Glad I kept my GC version all these years though.

Have you played it recently? It only really lagged with stuff like Meteor Storm, Judgement + a high tier spell, any of the higher tier water spells, and certain Unison Attacks (Prism Stars mostly). I wouldn't say it was too crazy or anything. It was still 60FPS most of the time, plus on the overworld too. The slowdown was also not so slow that it was unbearable, sometimes it just lent itself to a cool slow down effect and not "oh my god the game can't handle this" like it does in Xillia sometimes. :p

The PS2 version was definitely not a locked 30FPS either from what I recall, but they fixed certain Unison Attacks up to be 30FPS (Prism Stars looks quick now). I heard they fixed this in the PS3 release so it may be better along with the better load times. The PS2 version had moments where it had worse loading than PS2 Abyss. :p

You can blame the PS2 port of Symphonia on the crappy PS2 Abyss loading btw. :D

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully all these cancellations will work in my favor in case I get a damaged CE.
06JZ501.gif

Well there it is... my favourite thread title ever.
Amazing!

Not getting this until it hits bomba prices as I never did play the sequel but what I will do is dig my GC copy out at some point this week. OP has me all excited to go through this again.

Gojeran

I have the imported ps2 version as well and it's terrible compared to the GC version but it's 30fps with slow down. Locked 30fps might not be too bad but to be fair no I have not played the gc version in several years now so maybe I remember it slowing down more often than it really did. Still excited to play this. Tales of symphonia is among my all time favorite games... hence owning both versions lol.

FSLink

Banned
I have the imported ps2 version as well and it's terrible compared to the GC version but it's 30fps with slow down. Locked 30fps might not be too bad but to be fair no I have not played the gc version in several years now so maybe I remember it slowing down more often than it really did. Still excited to play this. Tales of symphonia is among my all time favorite games... hence owning both versions lol.

Yeah locked 30FPS and not taking years to load between battles/towns will help a lot. The PS2 version was seriously one of the worst ports I've personally played at the time. Still played the crap out of it because I had nothing else to play + high school summer.

Yeah, I personally don't care about 30 FPS but I can completely understand the frustration people have. I just want to be able to play it again since I can't hook my GCube up to my monitor.

Cess007

Guys, i'm curious. I've the CE edition pre-ordered in Amazon since October but the text in my pre-order still appears as:

DELIVERY ESTIMATE We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

I'm the only one, or is this normal even we're getting real close to the release date?

Top Bottom