• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
toxpt1tblu3.png

toxpt2zzua4.png

toxpt3o4k25.png

talesofxilliapt2kpa4t.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
~ Information

- Platform: PlayStation®3
- Release dates:
- JP: September 8, 2011
- US: August 6, 2013
- EU: August 9, 2013
- Genre: Action RPG
- Special Features:
- Trophies
- 3D Support
- Co-op Multiplayer

~ Story

Rieze Maxia. It’s a land full of hope and thriving with life. In it spirits and humans live in harmony. Humans make dreams and wishes and in turn the spirits grant them and use its energy to live. Above all the spirits is a guardian Spirit Lord Maxwell who rules over the world and maintains order. However... now when an evil is afoot in Rieze Maxia, a girl named Milla Maxwell, claiming to be the Spirit Lord Maxwell, arrives to stop it. Dragged into the fray is Jude Mathis, a teenage boy studying medicine. Together they journey to restore balance to the world for both spirits and humans.

~ Characters

Jude Mathis - A fifteen-year-old boy who is studying medicine in order to become a doctor. Jude is an extremely intelligent and gifted boy surpassing many of his peers in his studies and excelling in the field despite his somewhat clumsy and lax nature. In addition to his genius, Jude is a skilled hand-to-hand combatant able to dispatch with relative ease using his fists and feet. He accompanies Milla on her journey to learn more about what is happening with the world and due to his attraction with her.

Milla Maxwell - A twenty-year-old girl claiming herself to be the Spirit Lord Maxwell. She can control and utilize the powers of the four elemental Spirit Lords Efreet, Undine, Sylph, and Gnome. She rests in a shrine located deep within nature and leaves when the spirits of the world are in peril. Milla travels to the city of Rashugal and meets Jude to investigate what is harming the spirits and why it’s occurring.

Alvin - A mercenary by trade, Alvin is a strong and perceptive man. He wields a large sword and a gun simultaneous offering him close and long-ranged combat expertise. His background is a mystery and so is his character. He is a light-hearted individual with the tendency to crack jokes and appears foolish at times but his reasons for joining Jude and Milla through dire straits remains a mystery.

Leia Rolando - Jude’s childhood friend and a nurse-in-training, Leia is an outgoing and an ever-optimistic fifteen-year-old girl. She works at an inn her parents own while helping out Jude’s parents at the local clinic. Unlike Jude, she’s studying to be a nurse but is basically delegated to help taking care of the patients out at the clinic. It’s hard to get Leia down and she’s known to be klutz, however, this doesn’t mean she’s smart. She is keen about the circumstances that plague people and never fails to lighten up the mood. In combat she uses a staff with an assortment of healing spirit artes to aid her friends in battle.

Elize Lutus - A socially awkward and shy twelve-year-old girl. Elize is always accompanied by a strange talking doll named Teepo. It’s unsure how Teepo works but this outspoken little doll often speaks in place of Elize since she’s so shy. Despite her young age Elize is an exceptionally powerful spirit arte summoner. She is able to use dark magic with relative ease and is able to heal her allies in combat. One of her first friend is Jude as he helped her when she was being persecuted by the villagers of her hometown.

Rowen J. Ilbert - A seasoned spirit arte user, a wise butler, and a jokester, Rowen J. Ilbert is a sixty-two-year-old man with many skills up his sleeves. His calm demeanor and ability to analyze situations quickly makes him a capable fighter even in the most dire situation. It’s unclear as to what role he plays in the grand scheme of things but his knowledge, wisdom, and abilities are a powerful asset to Jude and Milla’s adventure.

~ Battle System

Tales of Xillia does something rather new with its battle system, the DR-LMBS (Double Raid LMBS). Essentially, at any time, two characters may be linked by pressing the directional button in which they are situated on the battle HUD to link the player character and a party member. This allows them to attack an enemy with better synergy in order to generate higher-hitting combos. Players can, provided they use the best skills consecutively while planning their attacks around their link partner, juggle enemies, knock enemies around, and knock enemies down for a killing blow. You may either strategize to surround the enemy, or you may attack the enemy yourself, and the AI-controlled will protect your attacking character from other enemies who may choose to intervene.

Magic, physical, and second artes will consume TP if used. Normal attacks take up AC (Assault Counter), which functions similarly to CC seen in Tales of Graces f and Tales of Destiny. Attacks will remain connected in a combo unless the AC hits 0.

Other changes include being able to swap reserve characters in and out of the party using R3 and the directional buttons later in the story. You may also change the controlled character on the fly using L1+the directional button in which the desired character is in the battle HUD.

While linked and attacking, both characters can fill up the Overlimit Gauge. The player can then choose to perform certain abilities when the gauge fills up at particular increments in order to execute a Link Arte. If the gauge fills to its maximum, when a Link Arte is performed, the player has a chance to execute Chain Link Artes. Players can string together different Link Artes in a Chain Link, provided that each Arte executed is different and does not break the chain. If the player has acquired the character’s Mystic Arte, they may also choose to use this when the gauge fills to its maximum provided they use the attack that allows them to execute their Mystic Arte.

Each Xillia character has a Special Characteristic ability that they can use themselves when the player uses them manually in battle to manage the flow of battle relatively easier:

Jude Mathis: Integration Evasion
Press Square+Back when an enemy is about to strike. Jude will teleport right behind the enemy to counterattack.

Milla Maxwell: Spirit Artes
Milla can cast two types of spells: Magic Artes and Spirit Artes. Magic Artes allow her to quickly cast spells for fast elemental damage against a foe. Spirit Artes can be cast by holding down the artes button while Milla is casting a spell in order to cast a stronger spell with a wider area-of-effect.

Alvin: Charge
After using an Arte, hold down the Arte button in order to charge Alvin’s sword with the power of his gun. His sword will glow blue indicating that it is charged, and will alter most of Alvin’s artes into stronger versions of themselves. Alvin may only store one charge at first, but by equipping more skills to customize his charging abilities in various ways.

Elize Lutus: Switching Teepo
Switching Teepo has two modes: on and off. When Teepo is “On”, Tipo will ride Elize’s back, which allows her to use ranged physical attacks. This will also enhance her Spirit Artes and make them more effective while reducing her casting time. When Teepo is “Off”, Teepo will follow Elize and attack enemies while covering Elize while she casts a spell.

Rowen J. Ilbert: Magic Tuning
After Rowen casts a spell, button prompts will appear on the screen which will allow Rowen to augment the spell a little provided the player inputs the prompts. For example, Rowen may be able to hit more times with a spell in the case of Fireball, or he may be able to alter the direction of the spell (such as in the case of Splash).

Leia Rolando: Staff Expansion
Similar to Jude’s Integration Evasion ability, if Leia backsteps at the right time when the enemy is about to land a strike, her staff will extend. This will extend Leia’s range of physical attacks, and will also strengthen them.

Additionally, characters have support skills in battle if they are linked to the player character as an AI-controlled character during Link Mode.

Jude Mathis: Restore
When the player-controlled character is knocked down to the ground, Jude will lend a helping hand to his linked partner and pick them up off the ground while restoring some of their health.

Milla Maxwell: Bind
When attacking an enemy using the player-character linked with Milla, once you stun the enemy, Milla will take advantage of the opportunity and bind the enemy in place so that the player-controlled character has the chance to capitalize and attack.

Alvin: Breaker
If the controlled character is attacking an enemy that is consistently guarding, Alvin will join in the fray and break the enemy’s guard with his sword.

Elize Lutus: Teepo Drain
While linked to Elize, Teepo will sometimes absorb some of the enemy’s energy, which will convert it to HP/TP for both Elize and the player-controlled character.

Rowen J. Ilbert: Auto Magic Guard
If the player is linked to Rowen and if any enemy on the battlefield uses a magic spell, Rowen will automatically use Magic Guard on both himself and the player-controlled character.

Leia Rolando: Steal
If the player’s controlled character is attacking a knocked down enemy, Leia will have a chance to steal an item from the enemy. This becomes a little more crucial later on in the game as some enemies have the chance to heal themselves. Leia’s support skill will render that useless.

~ Other Systems

Lilium Orb System:
The Lilium Orb system is the leveling system in Tales of Xillia. As characters level up in the game, they accrue GP, which can then be used in the Lilium Orb menu to unlock new abilities. Each character has strings of orbs indicating stat increases on the vertices of a spiderweb. If the player uses the GP to light up orbs in a trapezoid, they will unlock the orb in the middle of that shape, and will be given a passive ability or a new attack.

Shop Build System:
As the player progresses through the game, they can gather materials post-battle or on the field which will allow them to upgrade the shops in the game (item, weapon, armour, restaurant, and accessory). Higher levels will allow the player to buy various items at a discount. You may also try to level up the shops by buying things, but the best way to level them up is through using materials. Sometimes shops will have higher multipliers for certain items to level them up quicker, so that’s the best way to level them up. Shops are the same worldwide (ie: every shop will sell the same items as the previous town’s), so each type of shop’s growth is shared worldwide. You will not have to backtrack to level up the shops.

~FAQs

Q: What does the word Xillia mean?
A: It means Xillion which represents a lot. A lot of what? Ask Baba.

Q: Why are there two characters to choose from the beginning? Does it matter which?
A: The main story for the game is the same regardless of which character you choose. The option in the beginning allows you to choose which character’s perspective you will see through as the game progresses. Additionally, certain events will separate Jude and Milla apart and you will only see the respective chosen character’s cutscenes and actions. In the end it doesn’t really matter but going through both character’s perspectives will give the game’s narrative depth.

Q: Why do people say to choose Jude over Milla in the beginning?
A: Certain cutscenes shown in Jude’s story explain and cover many important plot details that are left implied in Milla’s. As a result, choosing Jude’s will give players a more fleshed-out story.

Q: Are there Mystic Artes?
A: Yes.

Q: What are the sidequests like? Are any of them missable?
A: There are 102 sidequests in the game, and they are denoted by exclamation points above NPCs’ heads. 32 of those sidequests are missable, and their points of no return are typically by the end of the chapter, so try to complete sidequests as quickly as possible when you get them. There is a sidequest journal in the menu that helps to keep track of which quests are ongoing, which quests are finished, and which quests are failed. And for those curious about it, there is a trophy for doing 90 sidequests.

Q: Tales of Xillia 2 was recently announced. I should skip this and get that instead, right?
A: *SLAP* Shame on you! Xillia 2 is a direct sequel and involves many of the character developments and plot points that were left open. It would be a great disservice to the game’s narrative to do so. In addition, despite the two having basically the same content, the way it is delivered is different making each experience unique.

Q: I heard Xillia isn’t a whole game and that it’s unfinished. Is that true?
A: You’ll get varying answers but the best answer I can give is “no.” The game is definitely a finished product. However, there are certain features and extras that the game is lacking when compared to the series’ other games. This is remedied in Xillia 2 but by no means is Xillia 1 a gimped game.

Q: Why should I buy this game?
A: Xillia is a pretty good JRPG. While there are some problems, it’s definitely the most modern Tales game to date and possibly the one that closely resembles Vesperia in many ways. If you weren’t a fan of Graces and loved Vesperia then this is one reason to get Xillia. Secondly, you’re supporting the release of future Tales titles. While Xillia 2 did get announced, neglecting both games might cause a sudden standstill in localization. We wouldn’t want that now, would we? Lastly, it’s fun to talk about the game with everyone. Come join importers and veteran Tales gamers and younguns alike~!

~ Credits
- ULTROS!
- Dark Schala
- kayos90

zroid

Banned
so which character should I play as

Nice OT by the way, Ultros & co.

edit: it was in the FAQ :p Jude it is, then

Aeana

I changed my mind about trying the English version, since I got a good offer, so I'll probably be playing it too. Despite finishing a play of the Japanese version a year ago. I am looking forward to seeing the translation and stuff, though, as usual.

so which character should I play as
Start the game as Jude for the sake of understanding what the heck is going on in the story. As for who you should actually play... I like playing as Jude, personally, but I know a lot of people like to play as Milla and others.

ULTROS!

Dark Schala will now forever be remembered as "Rosa Joanna Farrell" and kayos90 as "Jude Mathis".

I could have picked something worse for kayos90 but I got lazy.

khaaan

Oh man, I had no idea it was coming out so soon.
This'll be the newest Tales game I've played since Symphonia, looking forward to it.

Edit: Why is there no mildly amusing subtitle for the OT?

Ooooh, pretty. Got my CE pre-ordered and I'm ready to go. Been really looking forward to playing this one. I think I'm gonna try to actually learn the battle system in this one. Maybe it's because I started the series when I was so young, but I basically treated the Tales games as button-mashers up until Graces F last year.

EDIT: Also, the fact that it's pronounced "Ex-illia" causes me physical pain.

RPGCrazied

Awesome OT. I can't wait for this game. I always devour Tales of games first week they are out. I'm getting it from Amazon with release date shipping, but my UPS guy never gets stuff to me until 9pm sometimes. So I might not get to play day 1. Day 2 I will be playing off/on all day!

zroid

Banned
Start the game as Jude for the sake of understanding what the heck is going on in the story. As for who you should actually play... I like playing as Jude, personally, but I know a lot of people like to play as Milla and others.

I always seem to have a fondness for (mostly) using the perspective character in-game as well... knowing myself, I'll probably end up sticking with Jude.

Though if I like the game, I'll probably re-play it with Milla. Actually, can you NG+ with the other character?

Aeana

I always seem to have a fondness for (mostly) using the perspective character in-game as well... knowing myself, I'll probably end up sticking with Jude.

Though if I like the game, I'll probably re-play it with Milla. Actually, can you NG+ with the other character?
Yep.

Zenogias

Neo Member
Nice OT, haven't played a Tales-game since the ps1 era. This looks quite nice though...any info on length available?

Great OT - I am so hyped for this. Shame I'm gonna have to be splitting time between this and Dragon's Crown...at least I finally get my jrpg fix I've been craving since Ni No Kuni.

DJwest

Sorry to be the graphic who're but how beautiful is that game? for some reasons, the colours in this game seem so washed out compared to the vibrant colours of Vesperia and Ninokuni. I hope that this game is a treat in HD.

RPGCrazied

Sorry to be the graphic who're but how beautiful is that game? for some reasons, the colours in this game seem so washed out compared to the vibrant colours of Vesperia and Ninokuni. I hope that this game is a treat in HD.

I think it looks great, but many have said the fields in this game are pretty barren and boring.

ULTROS!

Should I change kayos90's portrait to a kawaii moe loli instead of Jude Mathis?

Aeana

For those asking about length, I beat it in exactly 30 hours. And now since I can hear charlequin bounding toward the thread to tell everyone I'm a freak and my playtimes are not represenative, I would advise adding 10-20 hours for an idea of how long it'll take the average person.

Shahed

10 days to go. Will probably do Jude and then Milla playthroughs, but based on the combat I've seen so far, I'll likely be controlling Milla most of the time

Pre ordered my copy last week. So hyped.

Question: Regarding the correct pronounciation of the title, is it "zill-e-a" or "x-ill-e-a" (long "e"s)?

I've always gone with the former.

Rpgmonkey

Some places (mainly the towns/cities) look pretty cool and colorful.

A lot of other places (most of the dungeons and fields) look pretty bland and ugly.

Aeana

Question: Regarding the correct pronounciation of the title, is it "zill-e-a" or "x-ill-e-a" (long "e"s)?

It's ex-ill-ee-uh according to the Japanese, but since Baba said it's supposed to be like zillion, I'd sooner bet on zill-ee-uh.

DJwest

I think it looks great, but many have said the fields in this game are pretty barren and boring.
The fields in Ninokuni are gorgeous. I've been spoilt :-(
Some places (mainly the towns/cities) look pretty cool and colorful.

A lot of other places (most of the dungeons and fields) look pretty bland and ugly.
Not what I wanted to hear. Is this really the closest Tales of to Vesperia? Vesperia is my absolute favorite.

Vanille

Dull browns and greens everywhere. It's a definitely a downgrade from Vesperia's art direction.

Stuart444

I go with the former but a lot of folk go with the latter because it's the 'Japanese pronunciation'.

I prefer the former because it sounds better to me though.

but since Baba said it's supposed to be like zillion, I'd sooner bet on zill-ee-uh.

And that is the reason I went with it originally until some folk start freaking out when people say it like that because it's not the Japanese pronunciation. (ie whenever a video came out, some folk would go "It's not that, it's EX-ill-ee-uh")

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Wow, almost two years since I played it. Took me around 50 hours to beat it the first time. Hope you guys have fun.

Didn't realize it was coming out next week. Whoa...

I think I have the LE pre-ordered somewhere, but I might cancel and just get the standard edition.

Top Bottom