• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Looking forward to finally understand what's going on. I still have to finish my playthrough of Hearts R before it arrives, though.

2 years since I played this game and platinumed it. One year since I did the same for the sequel.

I envy people doing this (soon those) game(s) for the first time. Then again, I'm a fan of the series so maybe it's not trustworthy for some :D

I hope people will like it <3

Aeana

2 years since I played this game and platinumed it. One year since I did the same for the sequel.

I envy people doing this (soon those) game(s) for the first time. Then again, I'm a fan of the series so maybe it's not trustworthy for some :D

I hope people will like it <3
I don't think just being a fan of the series says much. I consider myself a fan of the series, and I guess my feelings about the game are pretty well-known now. Though I admit I warmed up to it a bit when I played it again last year.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
How is the difficulty when playing in 4 player Co-op, compared to previous Tales games? Is the hardest difficulty locked behind the grade shop?

Lagunamov

I don't think just being a fan of the series says much. I consider myself a fan of the series, and I guess my feelings about the game are pretty well-known now. Though I admit I warmed up to it a bit when I played it again last year.

Exactly, I'm a fan of the series too and this entry isn't one of my favourites, but the opposite.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Does the story hold up in ToX better than ToV? And by that I mostly mean is it consistent? Because I loved ToV, but was let down by how the story started out very strong and not all save the world for the first half and then completely shifted gears on that front.

I know Tales of games love their twists, which is fine, but does the trajectory of the plot at least stay more even in ToX? I'm going to get this game, without question really, but I want to know what to expect.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How is the difficulty when playing in 4 player Co-op, compared to previous Tales games? Is the hardest difficulty locked behind the grade shop?

4 player co-op in this game is rather gimped because of the linking system. Linking with a character automatically relieves the linked character's control from the player effectively making the game a two-player co-op game.

Aeana

Sorry to say it but the co-op in this game is super gimpy. EDIT: I see kayos explained it above.

Stuart444

4 player co-op in this game is rather gimped because of the linking system. Linking with a character automatically relieves the linked character's control from the player effectively making the game a two-player co-op game.

Yup and if you like link-chaining between different characters (ie link with someone, link arte, switch link to someone else and do a link arte, etc) then it may be annoying even if it's just 2 people playing.

I did it myself last time, this time I'll be playing it 2 player co-op so I won't be able to link as freely as I did before.

Exactly, I'm a fan of the series too and this entry isn't one of my favourites, but the opposite.

What I mean is I *LOVE* all games (except for Tempest) in the series. I'm a sucker for Tales games ^^;

Capell

Unconfirmed Member

Ohhh no, this is a HUGE bummer for me. :(
We always loved The Tales series because of multiplayer being a lot of fun. I guess linking is essential for the gameplay and cannot be ignored...?

Almost makes me reconsider my preorder.

Eyothrie

Wow, not much high praise in this thread. I'm still looking forward to it. Although I am a bit disappointed to hear that the art style is bland. Was hoping that it would come close to Vesperia's art style, but I'm sure that it'll work for me

Stuart444

We always loved The Tales series because of multiplayer being a lot of fun. I guess linking is essential for the gameplay and cannot be ignored...?

It's not essential, it's just not the full gameplay experience without some linking.

But you CAN play the game perfectly fine without linking.

Wow, not much high praise in this thread. I'm still looking forward to it. Although I am a but disappointed to hear that the art style is bland. Was hoping that it would come close to Vesperia's art style, but I'm sure that it'll work for me

The art style is pretty good imo, it's just worse in the fields than in towns. (The starting town looks gorgeous especially but there is other good looking towns in the game imo)

kayos90

Linking is a huge boon. Many of the gameplay systems revolve around linking with characters. Link supports and linked abilities are not available if you don't have a partner. At the same time the overlimit gauge doesn't fill unless you're linked with someone which prohibits you from using Link Artes and Mystic Artes. The game basically revolves around it. You can still play 4 player co-op without links, it'll just be more challenging.

This will hit PSN on day one right?

So we were told.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the replies. Playing the game without linking sounds very unsatisfying, so I'll scratch the idea of having some great ToX Coop weekends.

ToX 2 better not be gimped in terms of Multiplayer!

At least now I have an incentive to buy the ToS HD collection.

squall211

Just pre-ordered. I really haven't played much of anything in the last 2-2/2 months. So I'm really looking forward to jumping in to this.

How is the OST? I know Sakuraba did the score, so I'm sure I know what I am in for, but is it your standard Tales soundtrack? Better? Worse?

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Playing the game without linking sounds very unsatisfying, so I'll scratch the idea of having some great ToX Coop weekends.

ToX 2 better not be gimped in terms of Multiplayer!

At least now I have an incentive to buy the ToS HD collection.
ToX2 is gimped the same way and slightly then some because of the main character and its EX dungeon. :(

SaintZ

So hyped. Preordered this already but I feel the store won't deliver my game on time.

I also wanted to get Graces' platinum before starting this but I don't have enough free time :(

Midou

I really like this art style, I was getting pretty fucking sick of the Tales style that seemed to be repeated ad nauseum between Symphonia and Vesperia.

Pre-ordered for a while now too, not sure if I'll try to go back to SMT4 before jumping on this.

Loved Vesperia. Loved Graces.

Wish the Tales games would come to the west more often/more quickly. But I'll take what I can get. Really looking forward to this.

Loved the gameplay of Vesperia and Graces, but wasn't a fan of their stories. In the case of Vesperia, I felt it kept baiting me with incredibly minor plotlines and then randomly, clumsily evolved into the "saving the world" plotline (also, the antagonists were terrible). How exactly does Xillia pan out in that regard? No spoilers, please!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Subscribed. Leia looks fun but Elise looks eh on style. Like Maxwell and undecided about Jude. Still playing Jude first in order to make sense.

This is coming out next week?! I better pre-order it soon then. Thanks for the heads up. Who's the magic knight in this game? I love playing as them and hopefully we can play with them throughout the game...

I still have to finish Vesperia even though I saved right before the last boss but I wanted to do most of the sidequests. I also wanted to do the 200 melee battle and the hardest team battle. No way I'll finish that by next week

kayos90

This is coming out next week?! I better pre-order it soon then. Thanks for the heads up. Who's the magic knight in this game? I love playing as them and hopefully we can play with them throughout the game...

I still have to finish Vesperia even though I saved right before the last boss but I wanted to do most of the sidequests. I also wanted to do the 200 melee battle and the hardest team battle. No way I'll finish that by next week

Milla and Alvin are the Magic Knights.

ys45

This is the RPG i have been waiting for this year .

Won't be playing until i get back from vacation thought, don't want to start and then forget the story .

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Are there a ton of missable side quests? Is it like Graces f where there's a little indicator of someone asking for help?

From the OP:

Q: What are the sidequests like? Are any of them missable?
A: There are 102 sidequests in the game, and they are denoted by exclamation points above NPCs’ heads. 32 of those sidequests are missable, and their points of no return are typically by the end of the chapter, so try to complete sidequests as quickly as possible when you get them. There is a sidequest journal in the menu that helps to keep track of which quests are ongoing, which quests are finished, and which quests are failed. And for those curious about it, there is a trophy for doing 90 sidequests.

Top Bottom