• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Aeana

Fuck. How is the story and characters? I really hope that this game will come close to Vesperia's quality.
Story and characters are miles ahead of Graces, but I still greatly prefer Vesperia's cast (my favorite Tales cast by far).

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I don't see the Star Driver, Madoka, Code Geass or iM@S costumes coming over.

Also, the game has a pretty good OST.

Coxy

MAN AND SPIRIT RIGHT HERE. Hyped for this, hope I like it as much or more than Graces after hating Abyss and Legendia

For those asking about length, I beat it in exactly 30 hours. And now since I can hear charlequin bounding toward the thread to tell everyone I'm a freak and my playtimes are not represenative, I would advise adding 10-20 hours for an idea of how long it'll take the average person.

how about platinum length, if any of you have it?

kierwynn

how about platinum length, if any of you have it?

I don't have mine yet, but it seems like it varies a bit, at least amoung my friends who have it. It's not a hard platinum, but you have to complete both sides for it- there is also a lot of grinding for the character trophies, the skill trophies, and some luck for the rare monster trophies. If you don't start on some of them early, it'll be even more grinding you'll have to do later.

Fuck. How is the story and characters? I really hope that this game will come close to Vesperia's quality.

Personally, I quite liked Jude, so I have a fondness of Xillia over Vesperia... but Vesperia's better. Not by leaps or bounds though, Xillia is still a excellent addition to the series.

However, Xillia's sequel is an excellent game that I'd put above Vesperia. It gets mixed reviews due to recycled assets from the first-game, but since I bought both games together, I've always thought of it as one huge game.

It helps that Tales games have that 'mid-game' climax + temporary breather before the final half of the game approach going for its titles.

jimi_dini

Unboxing of Collector's Edition is up on IGN (found by foobary81 from Cheap Arse Gaffer thread).

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/07/29/unboxing-tales-of-xillias-special-edition

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1N1q4_DC1Y

I want clarification on the artbook. The CE one looks so small in that unboxing video. I thought it was suppose to be 100 pages.

Maybe it's actually really the same as in Day 1. I guess size is definitely exactly the same. In any case it's laughable.

At least the OST selection says "Music CD", so hopefully that's an actual CD-DA and not a CD-ROM with WAVE files (again).

RPGCrazied

I want clarification on the artbook. The CE one looks so small in that unboxing video. I thought it was suppose to be 100 pages.

Arthea

about 2 weeks until ToX gets delivered to me, I hope it won't get lost or anything. It is my most anticipated game after I played ToG f. Can't wait.

Fox318

I really wish they released this on PC :(. I think I'm gonna buy a PS3 just to play this. Vesperia was fantastic and its been so long since I've played a Tales game. I can't wait to see some reviews.

Should I play this or Persona 4 first? I loved Vesperia, but everyone says Persona is the best game on the Vita. I am thinking this first because its shorter......

demidar

Should I play this or Persona 4 first? I loved Vesperia, but everyone says Persona is the best game on the Vita. I am thinking this first because its shorter......

I think you should play this first, because P4 will most likely be better and you'll spoil yourself going from the better game to the worst game.

Flamfas

Very nice graphic for the OP! I like it.

My hype was controllable, but that unboxing video took it through the roof.

Aeana

I think you should play this first, because P4 will most likely be better and you'll spoil yourself going from the better game to the worst game.
Well with an argument like that, totally play Xillia first. SMT4 will spoil you~~

Unboxing of Collector's Edition is up on IGN (found by foobary81 from Cheap Arse Gaffer thread).

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/07/29/unboxing-tales-of-xillias-special-edition

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1N1q4_DC1Y

Maybe it's actually really the same as in Day 1. I guess size is definitely exactly the same. In any case it's laughable.

At least the OST selection says "Music CD", so hopefully that's an actual CD-DA and not a CD-ROM with WAVE files (again).

Where can we acquire the Codex of Ideologies?

According to PS3trophies, the plat should take 60+ hours but they were basing that off of the japanese knowledge the player had, but it wouldn't be a bad estimate to use.

(though when me and stuart444 did the game it took us 40-50 first playthrough).

Lagunamov

Don't expect too much, I beat the game two times in japanese and for me this is one of the worst tales of. It doesn't have too content and is very short. I hope the second part be better.

Stuart444

According to PS3trophies, the plat should take 60+ hours but they were basing that off of the japanese knowledge the player had, but it wouldn't be a bad estimate to use.

(though when me and stuart444 did the game it took us 40-50 first playthrough).

That'd mean an extra 10 hour or so for the plat. Doubt I'll go for the plat though.

Rpgmonkey

Not what I wanted to hear. Is this really the closest Tales of to Vesperia? Vesperia is my absolute favorite.

To elaborate, the game tries out a freely controllable camera instead of the fixed camera of previous games, and I feel it causes the art direction to suffer in many places.

The fields feel like generic 3D spaces and a lot of the dungeons look cramped and dull. The Graces fields get a lot of flack for their linearity but I thought it had a lot of well-crafted angles and scenery to make each area stand out. I don't feel like they really take advantage of the camera to ensure that you could position it in a lot of different angles and still have something interesting in view, and to ensure each area looks and feels unique.

I think it shines in some of the towns/cities though. They feel more appropriately built for the camera in terns of vertical space and surrounding scenery. I assume they're not going back to a fixed camera so hopefully they improve a lot in level design and art direction for places besides towns/cities.

How many side characters are in the game? Other than the protag/antag?

Remembering off the top of my head, about three or four?

Have the CE pre-ordered and ready for next week.

Can't wait.

Even though everyone says to play Jude first I do still want to play Milla. The OP even says "cover many important plot details that are left implied in Milla’s". How strong of an implication are we talking about here? If it's something I can infer on my own I don't see it as much of a problem, unless "cover many important plot details" means breaking down and explaining things that you can't find out on your own just from implication.

Aeana

Have the CE pre-ordered and ready for next week.

Can't wait.

Even though everyone says to play Jude first I do still want to play Milla. The OP even says "cover many important plot details that are left implied in Milla’s". How strong of an implication are we talking about here? If it's something I can infer on my own I don't see it as much of a problem, unless "cover many important plot details" means breaking down and explaining things that you can't find out on your own just from implication.
You may infer it eventually, but you will be pretty confused for the first part for sure. If you really want to play Milla, I would recommend at least playing the first 1-2 hours or so as Jude, then starting as Milla. That'd help a lot.

Tizoc

Will get this together with OP Musou 2 and Killer is Dead by the end of the month~

...which reminds me that I should stop slacking off and get back to playing Graces f...

demidar

Well with an argument like that, totally play Xillia first. SMT4 will spoil you~~

I don't think there's enough overlap between the two games to affect me, but who knows.

I accept your challenge and will beat SMT4 in less than a week! (Err, when I buy it that is)

Banned
Hype!!! I'm a new tales fan having played Graces F last summer. I bought Abyss for the 3DS and currently playing it. I preordered LE of Xillia for day one and plan on getting Symphonia chronicles in Q1 2014. Can't wait (but Pikmin 3 comes out two days before so that gets first priority lol).

You may infer it eventually, but you will be pretty confused for the first part for sure. If you really want to play Milla, I would recommend at least playing the first 1-2 hours or so as Jude, then starting as Milla. That'd help a lot.

I'll do that then. If I have enough strength left after I'm done with Milla's playthrough I'll finish up on Jude's.

Top Bottom