• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah should have. Definitely would have done it if I had the Famitsu DX Teepo plush. (Psst, anybody know where I can get one of these?)
Might as well go all the way and try to get someone in Japan to buy you that big Teepo doll at the Tales merchandise store, haha.

MilkBeard

Almost finished with all the side quests that I could possibly find before the final boss. I've just got one more to do concerning Rowen.

I already beat
all 6 devil beasts, pretty easy at this point. Fought like 4 of them in a row.

Now I just have to beat the final boss so I can complete that side quest. I'm going at about 75 hours right now. I think some of you before definitely underestimated how long it can take to play through this game thoroughly. I remember people saying beating it in 35 hours, but that seems like rushing to me. But I like to wander around, and talk to all the NPCs (seriously, every time they say something new I go around and talk to all of them).

In this sense, there may not be much post-game content but by no means is this game unfinished. I've yet to beat the final boss so I haven't seen the ending, but even up to this point I'm pretty satisfied with how much content this game has. There are still a ton of side quests, and a lot of them have effect on character development, which is the most you could ask of side quests.

Pretty excited for Xillia 2; I hope they explore
Elympios
more in the sequel. Although, once I see the end, perhaps that might not be possible.

MilkBeard

Also, Rowen and Alvin are probably the deepest characters that I've experienced in the Tales series, although I haven't played that many games, I must admit. They actually rival some of my favorite characters in other JRPGS. Rowen has such a great voice actor, he seemed so natural. Also, the side quest character development for both of those characters is great.

I wish the game would have gone deeper into
Elize's
back story though.
Would have been nice to actually see something about her origin, like when you take that sub quest to find the cabin in the Mon Highlands, except it's not there anymore. I kind of wish it was, so that we could see more about her. I think the developers copped out on that part.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm always tempted to get Tales plushies. Like the Repede one that's coming out later (?) or the Narikiri Doll looking ones.
Glad I haven't yet since buying a Tales game every year is enough money.

While I'm not a PVC kind of guy, I do like some of the Vesperia ones that have been released.

Dragoshi1

28 hours in, on Jude's playthrough, and I hit the point where I can go back and complete everything or go to the final boss.

I failed the subquest with Karla/the historian, somehow. Don't we get a reminder skit when its time to do one?

Now, I'm gonna finish up every possible subquest and level a bit more. My whole party is 55+ right now.

I consider Milla's side to be the true canon since in Jude's story
he dodges the arrow shot at him in Bermia Gorge by tilting his head in cheesy action flick fashion, where in Milla's story he gets scared shitless and falls over when the arrow just misses him.

There are other differences like that in the story ... ( minor but funny to find ) ..the funny thing it's that it's always jude action that are changed , not mila.

I'm really addicted to this game.

Will there be more dlc costumes besides the ones that are already on PSN? I can't believe I'm actually considering buying them but I think at least Leia could use another outfit. The japanese version had such a wide selection.

That fight on top of the mountain behind Milla's shrine against
Agrias and Presa
might be the hardest fight in the game. So much bs status effects, aoe attacks, minion summoning, and mystic artes. Seriously both of them should not be able to go into ol at the same time -.-

That fight on top of the mountain behind Milla's shrine against
Agrias and Presa
might be the hardest fight in the game. So much bs status effects, aoe attacks, minion summoning, and mystic artes. Seriously both of them should not be able to go into ol at the same time -.-

it gets worse later when bosses heal with items while in OL so you can't do shit about it.

28 hours in, on Jude's playthrough, and I hit the point where I can go back and complete everything or go to the final boss.

I failed the subquest with Karla/the historian, somehow. Don't we get a reminder skit when its time to do one?

Now, I'm gonna finish up every possible subquest and level a bit more. My whole party is 55+ right now.
The Karla one, there was a reminder skit for each part. And for any skit that has parts, I'm pretty sure each of them has a reminder skit. They do have time constraints though but when the skit popped up, I did it right away. Pretty hard to fail really.

That Teepo plushie, I need it next to my Teddie plushie.

So after this I started to think that maybe I should play other Tales games too. Is Vesperia still worth of the praises it got back in a day?

Should I really be inclined to keep Leia in my battle party just to steal from enemies? I mean should I be stealing from every boss encounter?

I feel like I have no place for the two characters I want to have most in my team, Rowen and Alvin. I use Jude, Milla is obviously the best link partner, Leia steals, and Elize is the healer...

Should I really be inclined to keep Leia in my battle party just to steal from enemies? I mean should I be stealing from every boss encounter?

I feel like I have no place for the two characters I want to have most in my team, Rowen and Alvin. I use Jude, Milla is obviously the best link partner, Leia steals, and Elize is the healer...

You can easily start linked with Leia, steal the item, then switch her out to someone in your reserve party.

I mean, no one can really get left behind due to this.

(Press R3 I think)

And, while Jude and Millia have the most link artes, it's not really a big big deal to always keep them linked. You can swap party members of the fly anyway.

You can easily start linked with Leia, steal the item, then switch her out to someone in your reserve party.

I mean, no one can really get left behind due to this.

(Press R3 I think)

And, while Jude and Millia have the most link artes, it's not really a big big deal to always keep them linked. You can swap party members of the fly anyway.

Thanks, yeah, I just kind of hate the switching. I'd rather just set a party and forget, so I'll probably go functionality over who I'm interested in for the most part and then just change the party up every once in a while.

Another question: Best skills to "level up" for Jude?

edit: also, are all chapters similar in length to chapter 1?

Sora_N

What are the chances the DLC will go on sale? 5%? I'm tempted to buy Milla's Idolm@ster costume now, not sure if I should wait.

Do the weird fragments and mysterious liquids and stuff have any use aside from just using them to level up shops? And there is no reason to hold on to them because they never get double/triple points?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Finished it last night at 38 hours. Theres a few side quest I didn't complete. Also, if I purchase an unlock in the grade shop, does it stay unlocked for all susequent NG+ playthroughs?

I'm looking forward to Xillia 2

Finished it last night at 38 hours. Theres a few side quest I didn't complete. Also, if I purchase an unlock in the grade shop, does it stay unlocked for all susequent NG+ playthroughs?

I'm looking forward to Xillia 2

No you'd have to rebuy it for each play through

zeelman

Since grade points are earned from titles, the points spent on grade point bonuses are refunded on each playthrough, correct?

At level 99 can you equip every single skill for every character or do you have to get skill = 1 to pull that off?

You can not.

I did got a good chunk of the skills equipped expect like the stat increase ones and some random ones here and there I never used.

So yes, if you want all the skills equipped at once (not much need though) you'll need skill = 1 from the grade shop.

Rhapsody

Banned
Do the weird fragments and mysterious liquids and stuff have any use aside from just using them to level up shops? And there is no reason to hold on to them because they never get double/triple points?
Yeah, they never get bonuses. So use them to expand whichever shop you like.
At level 99 can you equip every single skill for every character or do you have to get skill = 1 to pull that off?
The latter. The game doesn't give enough SP.

You can not.

I did got a good chunk of the skills equipped expect like the stat increase ones and some random ones here and there I never used.

So yes, if you want all the skills equipped at once (not much need though) you'll need skill = 1 from the grade shop.

Yeah, they never get bonuses. So use them to expand whichever shop you like.

The latter. The game doesn't give enough SP.

Bah, though doing the math I should be able to get everything I want including skill =1 and still be in the 10000 grade cap for unknown

jorgeton

I was actually really liking playing as Milla, as she's the more interesting character and you could easily fill in the gaps of any missed story beats by just assuming Jude couldn't help but to help and wouldn't take no for an answer.

However I just finished one section later in the game where you get separated for a good amount of time. I actually really enjoyed that section with Milla, but once I reunited I find out that Jude has apparently done about 50 different things including some major character development, while I've only done one thing, and only developed some backstory, and that's when I kinda got annoyed. I just wish I at least got a little more detail on what went on without me for that one section.

But at least I got to avoid that annoying handmaid what's his face. So maybe I'll just call it even.

I think you're a little futher ahead than I am. But my big "wtf is this" moment in Milla's side was when
she gets paralysed, bed ridden for 3 months, and we find out Cline dies via a line of text during a cut scene. I mean.. come on.

On the plus side, this gives me more reason to play through again as Jude when I finish this 1st playthrough. But I probably won't have the time for a bit. Maybe I'll fire it up again next year before Xillia 2 drops.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think you're a little futher ahead than I am. But my big "wtf is this" moment in Milla's side was when
she gets paralysed, bed ridden for 3 months, and we find out Cline dies via a line of text during a cut scene. I mean.. come on.
Even though I've played Jude's story before, hitting that part with Milla, I almost missed that line of text lol
They could've done a better job with. At least a short conversation would've worked.

So I will play Milla's story, but I'm super curious, how does Milla's side of the story handle things like MAJOR SPOILERS
Milla becoming cripple or Milla "dying"
? Does the game simply
switch control to Jude or does it skip ahead to when Milla's good again

Rhapsody

Banned
So I will play Milla's story, but I'm super curious, how does Milla's side of the story handle things like MAJOR SPOILERS
Milla becoming cripple or Milla "dying"
? Does the game simply
switch control to Jude or does it skip ahead to when Milla's good again

First part is exactly like playing it in Jude's story. The 2nd part is completely different.

Different as in, Milla has her own dungeon.

First part is exactly like playing it in Jude's story. The 2nd part is completely different.

Different as in, Milla has her own dungeon.

Glad to hear she gets her own dungeon, but really you play as Jude for that whole portion? :/ seems like if someone picked Milla to start and follow her story the game at that point is saying "wrong choice now play the real main character"

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Started the game last night despite owning it since release day. Just got to the inn section and loving every moment so far. The graphcis are awesome, the music is a joy, the characters are worth caring about, and the dialogue is very charming. Even if the story ends up going no where I think this journey is going to be a memorable one.

Milla's responses and reactions are hilarious sometimes.

Sora_N

Started the game last night despite owning it since release day. Just got to the inn section and loving every moment so far. The graphcis are awesome, the music is a joy, the characters are worth caring about, and the dialogue is very charming. Even if the story ends up going no where I think this journey is going to be a memorable one.

Milla's responses and reactions are hilarious sometimes.

That's exactly how I felt, I only started the game last Thursday. Soooo enjoyable so far.

jorgeton

Glad to hear she gets her own dungeon, but really you play as Jude for that whole portion? :/ seems like if someone picked Milla to start and follow her story the game at that point is saying "wrong choice now play the real main character"

That's exactly how I felt. On the plus side, it was fun to play as Jude. I hadn't used him in combat until then and I was surprised by his playstyle. Brawler ftw.

Even though I've played Jude's story before, hitting that part with Milla, I almost missed that line of text lol
They could've done a better job with. At least a short conversation would've worked.

It seems she just gets the narrative short end of the stick. I would almost rather they would've combined both stories into one, and had you jump between the different perspectives. All that aside, I am really enjoying the game and I really like Milla as a character. Actually, all the characters are great. Except Elize and Teepo. Ugh. No more annoying toddler party members please..

I don't get why they didn't just have Milla's story unlockable he way Leon's was in destiny remake. From both a narrative and theme perspective the plot is clearly meant to follow Jude.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ugh. No more annoying toddler party members please..

I concur. I loved Losy Odyssey until the twins join the team and ruin every cutscene. Quit the game on the spot.

Top Bottom