• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Glad to hear she gets her own dungeon, but really you play as Jude for that whole portion? :/ seems like if someone picked Milla to start and follow her story the game at that point is saying "wrong choice now play the real main character"

Well the whole thing with the two main characters is that the game will always follow whoever you picked. So it make sense for Jude to be playable at that part since Milla is still there.

I mean it could be worse. You could be forced to still go through that part but instead you have to watch an AI Jude fight all your battles for you.

MilkBeard

Well the whole thing with the two main characters is that the game will always follow whoever you picked. So it make sense for Jude to be playable at that part since Milla is still there.

I mean it could be worse. You could be forced to still go through that part but instead you have to watch an AI Jude fight all your battles for you.

Yeah this is how it usually works for character selection in JRPGs. Star Ocean 2 was the same way, and whenever I played Rena's side, I always controlled Claude because he's a better fighter and I found it better if the AI controls the healing.

I'm at the part where
I'm fighting on the airship
and I haven't been able to use world map travel for some time. How much longer until it's available again?

MogCakes

Rowen's fireball is insane in both damage and spammability. Shame he dies so much when I play as him, the enemy units gang up on me as the player character.

Is there any info about more dlc coming to the West or are the idol master costumes the last? I can't find anything.

Edit: Damn, Leia looks like a completely different character in the idolmaster outfit. I'm not too fond of her default costume, I think it looks too childish, this is much better.

I wish there was a way to change the default character during battles, having to always switch from Jude to the one you want to use is annoying.

Arkain

I wish there was a way to change the default character during battles, having to always switch from Jude to the one you want to use is annoying.

Change the order of characters in the menu. The default controlled character is in the first slot (if put on active or semi-auto).

Change the order of characters in the menu. The default controlled character is in the first slot (if put on active or semi-auto).

Oh thanks. I thought it would be the leader character but since that didn't work I assumed it just always defaults to Jude.

I'm mopping up trophies at the moment, and I'm trying to get Teepo Switching Adept, I'm at 0/150 :/ - L3 seems to taunt for other characters, isn't that how I'm supposed to do it? I read a thread online where someone mentioned you can just hold L3 and constantly taunt to get the count up, however I'm still at 0. What obvious thing am I overlooking?

I'm mopping up trophies at the moment, and I'm trying to get Teepo Switching Adept, I'm at 0/150 :/ - L3 seems to taunt for other characters, isn't that how I'm supposed to do it? I read a thread online where someone mentioned you can just hold L3 and constantly taunt to get the count up, however I'm still at 0. What obvious thing am I overlooking?

You have the morale skill on which means teepo is permanently set to on

Rootbeer

Banned
wow kinda amazed the CE is in stock again...
Ahh well... $40 extra for that figure just isn't worth it to me (honestly the only item included that stands out in my eyes), even if it is kinda cool looking... grats to anyone who picks it up though

The figure isn't worth $40 since most of the goodies is in the LE too.

Will the DLC ever go on sale or have a bundle of some kind? $3 bucks for a costume is a rip. I want the idolm@aster costumes, but not $3 bucks want them.

Is there any reason at all to hang on to old armor and weapons? Or should I just sell everything when I get new stuff?

Only if you want elemental weaknesses or gear that doesn't have an element attached to it. I generally always keep the strongest non elemental weapon available for my characters so I don't end up getting screwed with a melee focused character only having access to a fire weapon in an area full of fire resistant foes.

Bladenic

Only if you want elemental weaknesses or gear that doesn't have an element attached to it. I generally always keep the strongest non elemental weapon available for my characters so I don't end up getting screwed with a melee focused character only having access to a fire weapon in an area full of fire resistant foes.

Pretty much.

Or you could have Leia spam Elemental Impulse <3 so good especially on the final boss

Is there any reason at all to hang on to old armor and weapons? Or should I just sell everything when I get new stuff?

Keep elemental stuff especially elemental armors.

I hate random element BS, whenever AI Leia cast it it always puts an element the enemy resist -.-

I believe it'll always cast the element the enemy you are targeting is weak to expect when it doesn't have a weakness so it'll just give you a random one.

FSLink

Banned
Keep elemental stuff especially elemental armors.

I believe it'll always cast the element the enemy you are targeting is weak to expect when it doesn't have a weakness so it'll just give you a random one.

Agreed with keeping elemental stuff, and correct for Elemental Impulse. The description is deceiving. :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Elemental impulse is half the reason I am destroying every boss I see, I think. Palm strikes with elemental weaknesses are too much.

Agreed with keeping elemental stuff, and correct for Elemental Impulse. The description is deceiving. :/

I will say the only problem is when you are fighting something that resists all the elements (hi, spinning blocks). The fight just starts dragging cause Leia gets all cast happy with Elemental Impulse.

Uh, what? It's not random, it always changes the weakness to whatever you're targeting.

Really? I must have just been unlucky and killed the thing that was weak to it before going after something that resist it. I have seen her cast it against Bacura before which is very annoying -.- glad to know though I'll make sure to make her cast it at the beginning of bosses from now

Lagunamov

Almost finished with all the side quests that I could possibly find before the final boss. I've just got one more to do concerning Rowen.

I already beat
all 6 devil beasts, pretty easy at this point. Fought like 4 of them in a row.

Now I just have to beat the final boss so I can complete that side quest. I'm going at about 75 hours right now. I think some of you before definitely underestimated how long it can take to play through this game thoroughly. I remember people saying beating it in 35 hours, but that seems like rushing to me. But I like to wander around, and talk to all the NPCs (seriously, every time they say something new I go around and talk to all of them).

In this sense, there may not be much post-game content but by no means is this game unfinished. I've yet to beat the final boss so I haven't seen the ending, but even up to this point I'm pretty satisfied with how much content this game has. There are still a ton of side quests, and a lot of them have effect on character development, which is the most you could ask of side quests.

Pretty excited for Xillia 2; I hope they explore
Elympios
more in the sequel. Although, once I see the end, perhaps that might not be possible.
I completed the game in 40 hours (100%)... so, I don't think that they're underestimating how long is. I felt that the game was rushed and many fans too, if you are in the end you can understand that they had more potential to create a longer story (your spoiler) and probably they decided do it shorter for ToX 2 (Sales >>> Production values).

FSLink

Banned
Against Bacuras, it's best to just set the AI to Manual so they don't do anything, and use Jude to hit it a few times, and teleport everytime the Bacura attacks.
The pacing in Xillia 1 is almost perfect aside from the obviously rushed ending. A proper final dungeon and more places to explore late-game would have done wonders.

Xillia 2 unfortunately doesn't work towards making it better, they added a mechanic that makes the game drag on a bit more than it should...

Against Bacuras, it's best to just set the AI to Manual so they don't do anything, and use Jude to hit it a few times, and teleport everytime the Bacura attacks.
The pacing in Xillia 1 is almost perfect aside from the obviously rushed ending. A proper final dungeon and more places to explore late-game would have done wonders.

Xillia 2 unfortunately doesn't work towards making it better, they added a mechanic that makes the game drag on a bit more than it should...

Yeah Jude pretty much trivializes everything bacura with his pivot snap.

For Xillia 2 you're talking about the
debt system
corret?

Also thanks again for correcting me on the usage of elemental impulse. There always seems to be mechanics like that in Tales or jrpgs that I misunderstand and intentionally end up gimping myself for no reason it's very annoying. The worst by far was Terranigma not understanding how magic worked and not using it at all for my first two playthoughs.

MilkBeard

I completed the game in 40 hours (100%)... so, I don't think that they're underestimating how long is. I felt that the game was rushed and many fans too, if you are in the end you can understand that they had more potential to create a longer story (your spoiler) and probably they decided do it shorter for ToX 2 (Sales >>> Production values).

As for the spoiler, it doesn't really feel like the game needed to be longer to me. It would have been cool, but not really that necessary.
I'm not sure what you mean by 100%..are you talking platinum? That's very, very quick. Not sure if serious for a first time playthrough. Either way it's just as meaty as pretty much any other JRPG of it's type. You can choose to play it fast or be a bit slower and more methodical (without a guide either) but it can be said that there is enough content to fill 80 hours of playtime. That doesn't seem rushed to me.

FSLink

Banned
As for the spoiler, it doesn't really feel like the game needed to be longer to me. It would have been cool, but not really that necessary.
I'm not sure what you mean by 100%..are you talking platinum? That's very, very quick. Not sure if serious for a first time playthrough. Either way it's just as meaty as pretty much any other JRPG of it's type. You can choose to play it fast or be a bit slower and more methodical (without a guide either) but it can be said that there is enough content to fill 80 hours of playtime. That doesn't seem rushed to me.

There's enough content, but compared to Vesperia and Graces the end-game content in this is abysmal. :p

Gartooth

Finished Jude's side today, plan to start Milla's side sometime tomorrow. (The hard part is always deciding what to spend my Grade on...) Loved loved loved this game even though it did have quite a few problems but I don't know how to quite put it into words yet. (though I've seen a lot of posts here that are on the dot about how I feel about this game) Probably my second favorite Tales game behind Vesperia so everyone that made those comparisons were mostly spot on. Xillia also probably had the best story of a Tales game from the ones I've played even though I still have a preference towards Vesperia's cast.

Random thoughts:

Alvin in particular was a great character who probably had more character development than any other in the game, really loved his involvement in the main story as well as his sidequests for the most part.

Leia was a character that I really enjoyed in skits but she by far had the weakest involvement of any cast member in regards to plot. It felt like a waste of her in that regard, hopefully Xillia 2 tries to make amends for that.

It's also really cool how neatly the ending seems to tie into Xillia 2 from what I've seen except
Leia's ending, though in regards to her I actually think it's better that they chose to make her a reporter. I didn't really care for her decision to quit being a nurse to start a family. Also felt a little robbed that I didn't really see Milla's own ending, guess that's just incentive to play her side.

I can see why everyone told me to play Jude's side first as well. There are quite a few scenes in the game that tell important information, and I'm wondering which ones I would have missed had I chose Milla first.

Oh and what's with the plothole where
Alvin seems to get drained of mana when the Lance of Kresnik is activated despite lacking a mana lobe? For that matter how can he fight without a spyrix, I don't remember the game ever telling me how he does it.

MilkBeard

There's enough content, but compared to Vesperia and Graces the end-game content in this is abysmal. :p

Yeah, there's like...nothing, right? Beside that extra dungeon. Everything else can be done before post-game.
Graces was a special case though, with that whole extra story arc.

Weirdly enough, my playthrough of Graces reached 90+ hours after I beat the main game and L&L. There's still a few things I need to do, like Zhonecage and one more Valkines Dragon. My playthrough of Xillia is at 90 hours and I'm finished with all the subquests and extras beside beating the final boss and trying the extra dungeon. I can't speak for everyone else but the content adds up pretty similarly for me. I believe there are still some extras here and there in Graces that I haven't done, but to be honest I'm not really as interested in trying them. Can't speak for Vesperia though. I hear that game is a beast in extra content.

MilkBeard

Alvin seems to get drained of mana when the Lance of Kresnik is activated despite lacking a mana lobe? For that matter how can he fight without a spyrix, I don't remember the game ever telling me how he does it.

I'm not sure about how
he uses artes without a spyrix, there was a skit talking about it but he never actually said how.
As for the mana lobe thing,
later on in an optional cutscene it was said that Elympians have mana lobes, they have just become inactive. However, I'm not sure if that would have the same effect. That time when the Lance was activated was still back when Alvin was scheming in different ways so he could have been acting. At that point I think he still worked for Exodus and still somewhat sided with their plan.

Alvin's artes aren't spirit artes, I guess he simply uses different kinds of rounds to give the effect of spirit artes. All his sword artes IIRC are just various types of sword slashes and thrust. Not sure how to explain guardian field though in any kind of canon sense.

Didn't know there is an idolm@ster theme, but you can't buy it without.........
rJDI6pp.jpg
Really Scamco?

Top Bottom