• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Almost done with the game and I'm pretty sure who the last boss is already.

Also, now I know why kayos90 hates Jude. Urgh Jude.

PKrockin

The devs REALLY like Jude. Aqua sweep, the fastest attack recovery times, fastest running speed, and snap pivot. Doesn't make sense considering he's just a teenage med student. Maybe it's his
creeper abilities
He had self defense training from Leia's mom who's a martial artist of some renown, apparently. He also has the lightest and least bulky weapon so it makes enough sense for me. Kind of dumb that he can take on armed and armored guards in the very first fights in the game though.

Regal from Symphonia is the nonsensical one. He's some sort of martial arts master for no reason.

Bladenic

He had self defense training from Leia's mom who's a martial artist of some renown, apparently. He also has the lightest and least bulky weapon so it makes enough sense for me. Kind of dumb that he can take on armed and armored guards in the very first fights in the game though.

Regal from Symphonia is the nonsensical one. He's some sort of martial arts master for no reason.

More nonsensical than Presea (or Karol) having the highest HP and tank like stats of the party? :p

That kamehameha.

So fun to solo bosses with regal.

Just finished the game and it was certainly a good game. Not amazing by any means but very solid. Great gameplay, solid story and characters and decent soundtrack. Graphics were pretty awful and it really looked like that the development of the game started on Wii... for jrpg most of dialogue were also at least bearable (before this last jrpg I had played was XIII-2 so maybe that affects things too lol). Voice acting was decent too after you got used to it. Milla had by far the worst dub though. Even after getting used to all other voices her voice still sounded out of place in some cutscenes. I also thought at least three times that the game ends here but then it continued =D
(after first battle against gaius, after battle against gilland and after battle against maxvell)

I felt the graphics were fine for what it is. Xian Du looked very good. They just need to fix the pop-in though. They know pretty graphics =/= good games unlike a certain other jrpg developer. I'll be happy to have ps3 level graphics once tales team move on to next-gen.

As for the dub, I thought it was excellent for a jrpg title. Millia's lisp did take time getting used to though.

Anyone else feel cooking and crafting were taken out of the final game? Jude cooking at the inn near the beginning of the game would have been the perfect moment to introduce cooking. And the scene at sharilton where Millia talks about that teapot for crafting.

PKrockin

More nonsensical than Presea (or Karol) having the highest HP and tank like stats of the party? :p
Presea does have a plot reason that kind of explains it. Karol is associated with the Hunting Blades, whose mission is basically to pursue as much raw strength as possible and use it to beat the shit out of the biggest monsters you can find, so there is that part of his history that fits.

Only 2 trophies left to go and then I have nothing else to do in this game. Kinda sad it only took 60 hours to do everything in game and plat it. I only need to find some more loot bags and chests =\ I don't want the game to end but I've played both stories too. I think the only thing left is to try unknown mode to make the game last a bit more.

LuuKyK

People weren't kidding when they said the game started getting really good at the end of chapter 2 ~ beginning of chapter 3. Holy shit.

Also,
fucking Ivar. -__- What a complete idiot.

I beat
Gaius in that battle that I wasnt supposed to win.
Playing on moderate, it wasnt even that hard. Took a while, but it was managable. Didnt even die once. I am overlevelled I guess.

Datschge

It's so irritating that Narikiri dolls aren't a series staple yet.

Heck, they managed to create a battle system that makes multiplayer and soloing unfun. What traditions are respected is pretty much random (actually it depends on the involved staff, but their importance to the series is apparently random).

Yo is this game like Vesperia where once I get to beat the final boss I can re-load my save or is it like Abyss/Symphonia and once I beat the boss it's final?

FSLink

Banned
Yo is this game like Vesperia where once I get to beat the final boss I can re-load my save or is it like Abyss/Symphonia and once I beat the boss it's final?

It's like Vesperia.

Heck, they managed to create a battle system that makes multiplayer and soloing unfun. What traditions are respected is pretty much random (actually it depends on the involved staff, but their importance to the series is apparently random).

Except DLC costumes, that'll continue to be a new "tradition". Namco gonna Scamco.

Finalow

Only 2 trophies left to go and then I have nothing else to do in this game. Kinda sad it only took 60 hours to do everything in game and plat it. I only need to find some more loot bags and chests =\ I don't want the game to end but I've played both stories too. I think the only thing left is to try unknown mode to make the game last a bit more.
you could try unknown mode in the EX dungeon. not sure how you can beat the boss of that dungeon when the level cap is just 99, and after the first time it gets a lot stronger.

Pein

Banned
Alright I just finished up vesperia with a 110 hours clocked, fantastic game btw, should I use a guide for my xillia playthrough? because without one for vesperia its so easy to miss out on a lot content.

LuuKyK

Hitting square pulls up a map? WTF

You really didnt know that? :lol The game tell you right at the beginning.

Btw the first thing I do in every game is hit at least once every button just to know if it serves any purpose. :p

Alright I just finished up vesperia with a 110 hours clocked, fantastic game btw, should I use a guide for my xillia playthrough? because without one for vesperia its so easy to miss out on a lot content.

I am not using any in my first playthrough. Will probably use in my Milla one though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I have surely missed some stuff in Xilla but in general the game is much more forward about how to do this shit. Keeps track of sidequests and NPCs have an actual ! above their heads for sidequest related things.

You really didnt know that? :lol The game tell you right at the beginning.

Btw the first thing I do in every game is hit at least once every button just to know if it serves any purpose. :p

I am not using any in my first playthrough. Will probably use in my Milla one though.

I'm used to that button being sorcerers ring lol wouldn't even try hitting it in a game without one

Proven

Dude, that girl could lift.

Karol was pretty much the tank only because he had a giant hammer.

In Abyss, they made it a little girl again, but they gave her a giant doll. And that doll could lift.

I'm finally getting to play for the second time tomorrow (time for that forest boss...) so out of curiosity... Alvin's the tank in Xillia, right? Elize sounds like the only other possibility thanks to her healing.

Seda

Beat the game tonight. Some quick thoughts:

It's one of my favorite Tales game narratives, although it shared perhaps just a few too many similarities to other games in the series, namely Symphonia and Vesperia's plotlines. The game is very cutscene heavy which did get on my nerves sometimes, but I will compliment the improvement in cutscene direction and camera angles and such when compared to Graces/Vesperia or earlier. I thought the cast was actually pretty average outside Rowen - who was easily my favorite character - and Alvin in some regards. I didn't hate Jude like some people expected me to, but I found him to be completely unremarkable and uninteresting. But at least he didn't actively anger me like Asbel or Luke. As for voice acting, I thought most of the characters were good, except Milla and Elize and some minor side characters. Overall, the cast and story are nothing absolutely great but competent enough to not turn me off. It was definitely a Tales game, the junk food of JRPG storylines.

The combat was as fun as Tales usually is for me. The switching links while fighting enemies to access different link skills and artes was enjoyable, although it took me a while to fully get into it - only nearing the end of the first chapter do I remember first thinking to myself, 'this is effing fun!', when I was fighting Hammerzamm in the mines with Jude and Leia. And that brings me to another point. I loved the boss fights. Boss battles are usually some of my favorite parts in RPGs and Xillia was no different. I remember hearing several criticisms of the bosses prior to release but they ended up being my favorite part of the game. I found some of them to certainly be challenging but not frustratingly so. Other small things like being able to quick save anywhere, warp anywhere, and switch party members in battle I definitely appreciated as well.

EDIT: The thing I was most unimpressed with was the dungeon/explorable area design.

Now time to get some more of these titles to earn more grade.

Holy crap Jude I'm going to beat the crap out of you, seriously you're going to take the word of
Muzet who you've known for 5 minutes and Alvin who's a lying sack of shit over Milla who's the whole reason your life isn't completely pointless

At least when Luke went full on bitch mode it was justified based upon his story up to that point.

Edit: Alvin too jeebus what happened -.-

Edit 2: REALLY JUDE? REALLY YOU'RE GIVING THIS SPEECH TO ALVIN

Edit 3: YOU'RE TAKING THIS ASS HAT BACK?! HE JUST... AAAHHHAHAOIHFLAKnFP*QJILN#OIJpkl

Flamfas

although it shared perhaps just a few too many similarities to other games in the series, namely Symphonia and Vesperia's plotlines.

One world is seeping off the other world's energy source. Thwart the sympathetic villain by uniting the two worlds! Oh, and we'll throw you a character from the other world early in the game

yeahhhh ...

jorgeton

I'm almost 20 hrs in.
just finished the mine where Alvin and Eliza ran to looking for Teepo

Overall, I like it. I'm a sucker for classic JRPGs, so this is hitting the sweet spot. But, I gotta say I liked Graces F a lot more. The combat system was better, the level up and equipment systems were better as well, and Graces F was a lot funnier overall (the skits were hilarious. In this one, they're cute, but not as funny) .

My biggest gripe with this is definitely the half-assed dual character system. I'm playing through Milla's side, but it may as well be Jude's. Milla is a great character, but she's definitely getting the narrative short-end, even though it's allegedly her side of the story.

But, the game def. has its hooks in me despite the many flaws. Looking forward to seeing how the story develops. Sadly, reading up on Xillia 2 gave me a major spoiler, but it'll be interesting to see how everything ties together.

Overall, I like it. I'm a sucker for classic JRPGs, so this is hitting the sweet spot. But, I gotta say I liked Graces F a lot more. The combat system was better, the level up and equipment systems were better as well, and Graces F was a lot funnier overall (the skits were hilarious. In this one, they're cute, but not as funny) .

Graces f was more challenging, for sure. But they went way over the top with the friendship stuff. I think I liked Xillia much more.

wilflare

my LE copy is finally here.
wondering if I should sell the game (just the game and not the LE goodies) and get the game again when the price drops :/

is the Character Profile Booklet the same thing as the Art of Xillia 52 Page Artbook?

Wow, the final dungeon wasn't even really a dungeon. Well, that's Jude's story done. Gonna do the EX dungeon then move onto Milla's story.

Also I need to get the trophy/title to use 400 items and it's stopped dead on 393 and the party refuses to use items now, is there any way to alter this? I've tried changing their strategy but it doesn't seem to work.

Wow, the final dungeon wasn't even really a dungeon. Well, that's Jude's story done. Gonna do the EX dungeon then move onto Milla's story.

Also I need to get the trophy/title to use 400 items and it's stopped dead on 393 and the party refuses to use items now, is there any way to alter this? I've tried changing their strategy but it doesn't seem to work.

I dunno why but randomly the AI just seem to not use items for any reason then randomly they'll start using them again

Did you turn on or off auto item in the in-battle menu? You tab it on or off by pressing square there and it's pretty easy to not noticed that you did it.

MogCakes

Holy crap Jude I'm going to beat the crap out of you, seriously you're going to take the word of
Muzet who you've known for 5 minutes and Alvin who's a lying sack of shit over Milla who's the whole reason your life isn't completely pointless

At least when Luke went full on bitch mode it was justified based upon his story up to that point.

Edit: Alvin too jeebus what happened -.-

Edit 2: REALLY JUDE? REALLY YOU'RE GIVING THIS SPEECH TO ALVIN

Edit 3: YOU'RE TAKING THIS ASS HAT BACK?! HE JUST... AAAHHHAHAOIHFLAKnFP*QJILN#OIJpkl

About that...
I got the losing scene after Alvin one-shotted me with a mystic arte, and found that version much more appropriate than Jude giving a self-righteous lecture after his complete apathy towards Leia's attempt to protect him.

About that...
I got the losing scene after Alvin one-shotted me with a mystic arte, and found that version much more appropriate than Jude giving a self-righteous lecture after his complete apathy towards Leia's attempt to protect him.

Can someone either post a link of the other version of the scene or summarize what happens?

demidar

Can someone either post a link of the other version of the scene or summarize what happens?

Trying to remember, but off the top of my head
Alvin kicks Jude's ass as Jude doesn't even care and wants to die. Then Alvin gets pissed even more at his mopey-ness and kicks him, remarking that he's an honours student and he should know what to do like he did before Milla died since Alvin is also completely directionless now and was looking to Jude for what to do.

Edit: ^^ Japanese version is a tad different, and I reallllly can't take JP Alvin seriously.

Trying to remember, but off the top of my head
Alvin kicks Jude's ass as Jude doesn't even care and wants to die. Then Alvin gets pissed even more at his mopey-ness and kicks him, remarking that he's an honours student and he should know what to do like he did before Milla died since Alvin is also completely directionless now and was looking to Jude for what to do.

Edit: ^^ Japanese version is a tad different, and I reallllly can't take JP Alvin seriously.

Thanks, scene still sucks either way, and oh god Japanese Jude sounds even more pathetic

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Beat the game and EX dungeon today.

Bosses with their spamming bullshit and items WHY

There is no fucking reason why I should ever be hit with 8 Mystic Artes in one fight. No. I don't care if I'm fighting the motherfucking Juggernaut. NO.

MogCakes

Beat the game and EX dungeon today.

Bosses with their spamming bullshit and items WHY

There is no fucking reason why I should ever be hit with 8 Mystic Artes in one fight. No. I don't care if I'm fighting the motherfucking Juggernaut. NO.

Gaius and Muzet
hit me with 12+ MA's IIRC.

demidar

Thanks, scene still sucks either way, and oh god Japanese Jude sounds even more pathetic

I agree, English Jude sounds better to me.

Its like they put together this great combat system then got lazy as all fuck when it came to the AI

I'm pretty sure this is all they did with the AI.

Code:
if (random() < 0.2) {
     activateOverlimit();
}
if (inRange) {
     if (overlimitOn) {
          useArcaneArte();
          useMysticArte();
     }
}
else {
     useRandomArte();
}

The enemy isn't really capable of doing much else.

I played it around 1 hour on launch date and finally tried it again today, I'm about 5 hours in and not much has happened, I heard it gets good so I'll continue.

I am enjoying the battle system but damn the game's easy, I miss playing Graces in the hardest difficulty and having a blast.

About two hours in, it's great so far.
The Lilium Orb thing ia kinda nice, although I use auto in the Lilium Orb cause I dunno how should I develop the characters

-MD-

I really loved Vesperia (one of my favorite rpgs this gen) but found Graces f to be meh, mostly due to the stories/characters. Would I like this one?

I really loved Vesperia (one of my favorite rpgs this gen) but found Graces f to be meh, mostly due to the stories/characters. Would I like this one?

it's alright. I probably prefered vesperia. I find it really weird that vesperia is a better looking game imo and has nicer presentation. Characters and story are obviously alot better than graces but it's still not really breaking any new ground etc etc. If you need a tales fix and you enjoyed vesperia, id definitely recommend it.

TheFatMan

About two hours in, it's great so far.
The Lilium Orb thing ia kinda nice, although I use auto in the Lilium Orb cause I dunno how should I develop the characters

You will notice that some orbs give a much higher bonus than others. For instance an orb on one ring for Alvin will give +37 Strength, but a Intelligence orb on that same level of development will only give him +21 Intelligence.

This is sort of the games way of telling you which statistics are more important for each character, or at least I took it to mean that.

Plus sometimes you want to go off on your own way to unlock a skill or arte.

I would imagine auto Lilium Orb would save a pretty large amount of time on your save file though haha.

Top Bottom