• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Rhapsody

Banned
I thought people liked her ToX1 costume. At least I did :[
This is only before her sports outfit gets released in Xillia 2.

And it's too bad we wouldn't get her Madoka outfit. :[
I wish she got Kyouko or even Sakura. Not really a fan of Mami.

Edit: Wonder how I typed Sakura. Meant Sayaka lol

demidar

That's a weird choice, considering Leia is flat and Mami is the complete opposite of flat. Kyoko would probably fit her, spear -> staff kind of?

Bladenic

Edit: Wonder how I typed Sakura. Meant Sayaka lol

I prefer X1 to X2 outfit. Though the X2 grew on me a lot. Just gotta remove that heinous hat.

S_Dev

Neo Member
Just beat Xillia on Jude's side about 3 weeks ago. Most fun I've had with a Tales battle system since Abyss. The story was good for a Tales game, but If I didn't know there was a sequel the ending would have felt... Abrupt, to say the least. The characters were just developed enough to make me want to know more about them.

Since I beat it, I went to play Vesperia for the first time, and the experience was a little jarring. The battle system took far more time then it needed to fully flesh itself out. After getting all the Arte linking skills, the combo system was a blast. Sadly, when it takes ~18 hours to get there, it just didn't seem worth it. This really makes the quick pace of Xillia's battle system shine in hindsight, once you started to get 4-5 orbs per level, I couldn't keep up with all the Artes that were being thrown at you.

On the character side, I can easily understand why people really enjoy the cast in Vesperia. They can be slightly 2-dimensional at times, but they all seem to make up for later in the game. The story, however, seemed to take as long as the battle system to become interesting, I found myself grinding through hours 8-18 of the game before it started to grab my interest.

IMHO, I think the characters of Vesperia would have made Xillia a better game if they transplanted into it. Don't get me wrong,
I really enjoyed the interaction between Jude, Leia, and Alvin after Milla gets herself blow up, the emotional tension makes this scene shine, one of my top moments in any Tales game. It really reminded me of the part in Abyss after Akzeriuth where everyone finally gets fed up with Luke's man-child bullshit and bails.
I need to stop talking about Abyss right now... I'll never stop.

...And now I'm about 7 hours into Graces F... I really don't know about this game... at least I was kinda starting to like Yuri and pals by this point in Vesperia... but I'm not really feeling anything at all about this game so far. The new battle system added a nice, bass-ey, satisfying *thump* every time you hit an enemy, but that is about the only positive thing I have to say about it so far. I think I'd rather go back and play Milla's side on Xillia.

S_Dev

Neo Member
The only thing good about Graces f is the combat, and it is damn good. Lower your expectations for everything else though.

The combat is ultra pretty as well, especially after you get Sir Richard SpamAlotOfArtes. If it wasn't so disorienting, I'd have the camera always zoomed out. Hell, I'm disoriented if I'm zoomed in. I really need to get this combat system down, switching horizontal to vertical is really messing my world up.

The only thing good about Graces f is the combat, and it is damn good. Lower your expectations for everything else though.

Crafting and cooking were addicting in Graces f. I spent ungodly amount of time trying to fill out that damn book. Even made my own spreadsheet to do just that. One of the things that I missed in Xillia.

Asd202

Xillia is 10x better than Graces F for story/characters. If somebody prefers Graces in any respect other than gameplay or mechanics than I don't even know what to say to them...

Yeah outside of one bad scene everything about xillia's story stomps graces. Unless they ignored all the warning to play Jude first and went with Milla and were lost because her story explains nothing on her side.

How can someone even think that Graces characters and story are better than the ones in Xillia is beyond me. Opinions and stuff, but still.

Xillia's story wasn't that great, but ToG's story was just plain shit.

Thanks guys you swept away my fears. I could not bear worse story then Graces F it was so fucking stupid, annoying and overall shit. Maybe I'll pick up Xillia at some point :).

I'm not sure if it's done updating yet. But I still don't see Star Driver costumes happening.

Edit: yeah, nothing this week or probably ever

Yeah, kinda thought we're getting DLC costumes every other week till the well runs dry.

We are still missing the Christmas outfits though so kinda weird they are holding off on those. Unless they are going to wait till actual Christmas to release them...

MogCakes

Yeah, kinda thought we're getting DLC costumes every other week till the well runs dry.

We are still missing the Christmas outfits though so kinda weird they are holding off on those. Unless they are going to wait till actual Christmas to release them...

I'm pretty sure the more risque outfits will never see the light of day here for fear of backlash.

Wow, that (late game spoilers on Jude's side)
post-Milla "death"
scene in Hamil was really good.
The way Leia tended to the emotionally messed up Jude and her expression after she closed the door was really effective.
And things just escalated from there. Mercer's performance was fantastic during the whole thing too. Much heavier than I was expecting from a Tales game.

Well, just finished up my run through Jude's side. I actually took time to get around and do more sub events this time around so it actually took 15 hours or so longer than my Milla playthrough did. It definitely did a much better job of building up to the finale, but I still didn't really feel much of an impact from the ending, even though everything leading up to it was much more enjoyable than before. My interest in it kind of died out a lot faster than it did for any other Tales, only put about 75 hours total, most of the others I've played (sans Vesperia, which I stopped with after about 60) got me a good 150-200 hours of playtime. I definitely understand why a lot of people though of this as a rather underwhelming Tales game, especially one that was supposed to be an anniversary title.

Thoraxes

Just before the final boss at about 40 hours and did like 50% of the side quests.

My dudes are right in their mid
60's and my shops mid 70's.

Either this is one of the shorter games, or i'm getting better at Tales games. Mostly played on Moderate.

Maybe i'll platinum this one if I got through it this fast.

Just before the final boss at about 40 hours and did like 50% of the side quests.

My dudes are right in their mid
60's and my shops mid 70's.

Either this is one of the shorter games, or i'm getting better at Tales games. Mostly played on Moderate.

Maybe i'll platinum this one if I got through it this fast.

This game is too easy to be playing on moderate especially if you're a series vet

I think it's still relatively short for a Tales game though. There's no super long dungeons or anything like that.

I guess it depends on how you play, if you explore each world map area for loot points and treasures it'll take a lot longer then if you just run past them to the next dungeon/town.

Thoraxes

This game is too easy to be playing on moderate especially if you're a series vet
That's good to know at least. I usually just auto go for that unless I get info on the harder difficulties.
I think it's still relatively short for a Tales game though. There's no super long dungeons or anything like that.

Yeah, i've noticed that too.
I guess it depends on how you play, if you explore each world map area for loot points and treasures it'll take a lot longer then if you just run past them to the next dungeon/town.

I've been getting everything on all the fields >.>

are the SD costumes the last thing Bamco haven't released yet?

There's also the Christmas outfits.

gygkiEGl.jpg

Cornbread78

I'v ebeen really enjoying ths game so much so far.

Quick question. Is the music/sounds done by the same guy that did SO4? It's gotta be..

BOTEC

Finished up this game tonight. This may be the first Tales game that I can say I did not like. I wished I was playing Graces the whole time. Granted that's my attitude whenever I play a new Tales game (I'd rather be playing the previous one), but most of them redeem themselves by the end and I have fun with each new one. Xillia was just dull through to the end. I don't think Jude's story is going to make everything better, this was just a boring game. Here's to hoping Xillia 2 is more fun.

Bladenic

Finished up this game tonight. This may be the first Tales game that I can say I did not like. I wished I was playing Graces the whole time. Granted that's my attitude whenever I play a new Tales game (I'd rather be playing the previous one), but most of them redeem themselves by the end and I have fun with each new one. Xillia was just dull through to the end. I don't think Jude's story is going to make everything better, this was just a boring game. Here's to hoping Xillia 2 is more fun.

What were your issues with it? The gameplay is vastly improved in Xillia 2, but it brings about a few new annoyances as well as a good amount of recycling, particularly in revisiting the same fields (some like 4-5 times).

It's incredible how many people who didn't enjoy Xillia played Milla's side first despite so many people warning them to pick Jude's side first.

To be fair, unless his main issue what the story, Jude's side wouldn't have done anything to change his mind.

It just seems generally when people complain about Xilla the common thread is "I played Milla's side" even if there complaints aren't story based. Also most people seem to only play the main character and Milla's play style is very different from traditional Tales leads.

BOTEC

I don't see Jude's side fixing anything, as he was there for most of the major story beats. This was just a poorly written game. The biggest fault with this story is
there is no real bad guy. Gaius is just a power hungry king, he doesn't have any evil ambition, he just wants to be the guy in charge. Muzet is a better bad guy than him because she's just crazy. But because she needs to follow someone, he literally steps into a role no one wanted. That's some major boring-ass shit if you ask me.

Top Bottom