• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

I got to the part
where you go to judes town and then go the mines
and now i just find the game really boring and repetitive and the story is so dull and the characters seem more and more unrelatable and that
new girl
is so freakin annoying.
Mining is the most stupidest game mechanic ever and the caves are so narrow that its hard to get behind the monsters
So i stopped playing, does it get any better, should i go back?

Yeah it does, game doesn't really pick up til you get to Xian Du which is the next town after Leronde where you stopped

Videoneon

The mining is annoying. Sometimes there are no treasures at all IIRC, but there are tons of mine-able rocks and two or three of the maps are a web of routes.
The boss is a bit tougher than previous ones

How far away from beating the game do you think i am? Are there any more annoying levels like the
mines

You are at the end of "Chapter 1" of the game, which represents a good third or so. It will be more interesting once you're well into the next town.

As for levels...there's a dungeon where you need to figure out how the dungeon is laid out, and have to investigate and see which paths are blocked off/how to traverse between certain sections. It's tedious, only a little more so than the mines, which i didn't think were all that bad but still tedious.

So after racking up around 7200 grade I decided it was high time I started my NG+ Milla run, and all I have to say is that I am *so* glad I went with Jude for my first run.

The start of the game was crazy with Milla, it was like they cut out about half the game and even though I know what's going on I *still* find the whole thing really confusing, and incredibly abrupt. I was also hoping I'd get to play Nia Khera or something else before Fenmony or talk to the Four Spirits, but they just communicate in weird bleeps in Milla's head (kinda odd, since
they *do* talk later when you confront Maxwell
. Its really weird, since its advertised as a whole new route, but its handled so poorly and the pacing makes it seem like they just cut content rather than had different content (which si what you'd expect). Star Ocean 2 this is not.

Anyway, its clear sailing. I just got to Sapstrath and the 10x XP and unsealed Devil's Arms are really helping out with, well, everything. I'm on the lookout for the skits I missed the first time (6 short of the trophy, dammit!) and I need to get Milla's Bind trophy, but everything dies really fast so I'll probably get that quite late. Other than those two its just finishing this run and then I'll have the Platinum.

Never even saw a problem with the mines. It's a gimmick that only lasts in that one dungeon and the breakable blocks don't respawn so it's not like you'll have to it multiple times or that you'll ever actually have to do it more than the first time.

I'm exactly in the mines too, kinda bored of the game but I hope it gets better.

is a Millia run really worth it? or is it just small details changing.

I'm exactly in the mines too, kinda bored of the game but I hope it gets better.

I did the Milla route first and was definitely disappointed with it overall. The entire last act of the game just felt so poorly put together and abrupt because so much happened while she was away and none of it is really elaborated on properly, while only one barely noteworthy thing happens on her side. It honestly soured my opinion of the entire playthrough, hopefully doing a run as Jude will at least fix it a bit.

ohlawd

Not really, no. It would be if there were a lot of changes/revelations.

Like when something inexplicable happens in Jude's route, they kinda explain it in Milla's route. Sorta like that. But it isn't "OMG WOW DAMN" more like "oh that's it?" sorta thing.

I don't know why the devs didn't let the max charge on the pickaxe break the rock in one-go. That shit really bothered me for some reason.

And guys, are we close to getting all costumes up?

Bladenic

I did the Milla route first and was definitely disappointed with it overall. The entire last act of the game just felt so poorly put together and abrupt because so much happened while she was away and none of it is really elaborated on properly, while only one barely noteworthy thing happens on her side. It honestly soured my opinion of the entire playthrough, hopefully doing a run as Jude will at least fix it a bit.

Yeah Milla's side should be done second, no question about it. I can't believe some people actually think she has a better opening Act 4, like what?

Videoneon

Do not do Milla side first, I thought I would do it just to see what would be so bad, and so I could enjoy the battle themes, but....don't do Milla's side first.

Yeah Milla's side should be done second, no question about it. I can't believe some people actually think she has a better opening Act 4, like what?

It fucking sucked.
Why did I find out that Agria and Presa died through a skit? Why couldn't I have been there for the fight anyway?

I actually thought the spirit world sequence was kind of lame too. You aren't told where to go, and if you go all the way to Nia Khera you miss out on some sub events. It just tells you "go wherever you want!" and plasters that color filter on the screen.

Incidentally it was kind of funny going through Kijara Seafalls, because I ran into a batch of 5 enemies that could cast Splash, and I tied because they all kept casting Splash repeatedly and I couldn't break out. :lol

I'm glad that playing through Milla's route isn't important, I wouldn't be able to stomach a second playthrough of this game.

Is there any party that is regarded as the best? I'm thinking of going Jude + the 3 girls cause I love my harems. I've always just auto leveled everything btw, the game is too easy.

Neki

I'm glad that playing through Milla's route isn't important, I wouldn't be able to stomach a second playthrough of this game.

Is there any party that is regarded as the best? I'm thinking of going Jude + the 3 girls cause I love my harems. I've always just auto leveled everything btw, the game is too easy.

I beat the final boss in the bonus dungeon because I constantly told Rowen to spam constantly Tidal Wave, so I think Rowen's gotta be in there. :p And holy shit, that boss is so annoying. One of his moves hits you out of linked artes and stuns you, and he spams the shit out of t.

LuuKyK

Her costume that she starts with at the start of her Part 4.

So its the same? I don't get it. :lol

Edit: Nvm, I googled it.
Is it the green one that looks like Muzet?
Looks cool as hell. I guess I didnt see it because I havent finished her playthrough yet. I also guess I just spoiled it for me. :lol

Bladenic

Jude/Milla/Rowen/Elize or Jude/three girls. Poor Alvin (though he's still awesome).

Just got the platinum. 71 hours total, 6.5 hours for the second playthrough. The worst trophy, ironically, was the food effects trophy. I had to grind out an extra 200 kills even AFTER I beat the second playthrough. God that was annoying.

Jude/Milla/Rowen/Elize or Jude/three girls. Poor Alvin (though he's still awesome).

Jude and Milla's fell arms seem to be a few orders of magnitude stronger than everyone else's. I went with your first suggested party for almost the entire game, and by the end, my Jude and Milla's Fell arms were in the range of 6000 ATK, and nobody else's had even broke 2000.

so definitely use Jude+Milla. They're also the 2 best characters for controlling/linking, because most of their abilities are insta-cast so it makes combat more active / fast paced when you're controlling them, and they have good harmony together and have a lot of Linked Artes. None of the other characters have any good Linked Artes with Jude and Milla's best skills.

Any recommendations on expanding my shops? All I do is expand Weapons/Armor and I have them around level 40 by now while the rest are sub 10. Just finished that darn mine dungeon.

Neki

Jude and Milla's fell arms seem to be a few orders of magnitude stronger than everyone else's. I went with your first suggested party for almost the entire game, and by the end, my Jude and Milla's Fell arms were in the range of 6000 ATK, and nobody else's had even broke 2000.

so definitely use Jude+Milla. They're also the 2 best characters for controlling/linking, because most of their abilities are insta-cast so it makes combat more active / fast paced when you're controlling them, and they have good harmony together and have a lot of Linked Artes. None of the other characters have any good Linked Artes with Jude and Milla's best skills.

I think Leia + Jude is almost as good because of just how good Tempest Pirouette is. I swear, it murders everything!

FSLink

Banned
I think Leia + Jude is almost as good because of just how good Tempest Pirouette is. I swear, it murders everything!

Agreed, and Leia is always great as a support partner in general for Item Steal and her item skills. And of course, healing.

Any recommendations on expanding my shops? All I do is expand Weapons/Armor and I have them around level 40 by now while the rest are sub 10. Just finished that darn mine dungeon.
You're definitely doing it the wrong way. Use your materials for whatever has the multiplier, it's a huge waste to spend items on your weapon / armor shop if there's no bonus. Also, you're going to need the item, accessory, and food shops eventually, you shouldn't neglect them.

IMO you should just hold all your materials and not upgrade anything, and as soon as one of your shops has a x3 multiplier, dump all of that ingredient into expanding whichever shop has the 3x. Then keep holding the rest of your materials until something else goes x3.

J4g3r

End game spoilers?

I managed to beat the Golden Mage Knight at level 75 on moderate difficulty today, glad I didn't listen to the guides saying I should be at least 85 before trying him.
My activated Devil Arms are pretty OP; Jude has at least 6000 P.ATK. - Pretty insane, actually stronger than my Yuri in Vesperia.

Right now I'm just grinding titles for GRADE ready for a NG+.

How much GRADE should I try to get before entering a NG+? I have 4060 now...

I kind of wish I could grind GRADE the same way I did in Vesperia.

*TIDAL WAVE TIDAL WAVE TIDAL WAVE TIDAL WAVE*

Look at the grade options on gamefaqs cheats list and see what you want, see if it's within the 10,000 grade cap, and if it is how much more grinding is needed to get it.

End game spoilers?

I managed to beat the Golden Mage Knight at level 75 on moderate difficulty today, glad I didn't listen to the guides saying I should be at least 85 before trying him.
My activated Devil Arms are pretty OP; Jude has at least 6000 P.ATK. - Pretty insane, actually stronger than my Yuri in Vesperia.

Right now I'm just grinding titles for GRADE ready for a NG+.

How much GRADE should I try to get before entering a NG+? I have 4060 now...

I kind of wish I could grind GRADE the same way I did in Vesperia.

*TIDAL WAVE TIDAL WAVE TIDAL WAVE TIDAL WAVE*

If you're going for the platinum trophy, then you might as well cap out your levels to 99 now, and get all the other grinding trophies like food effects, linked artes usage, rare monsters, etc. If you get all of them, so that the only trophy left for the platinum is to beat it on the other character, you should about 7500 grade.

The other 2500 would come from you doing the really crazy titles, like the 450 special ability usages (elongating staff, restore, etc), the 150 rare monsters, etc which are one step beyond the level required to get the trophies.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally finished the game. It really seems like they went out of time at the end.
There's basically no sense of importance to what you're doing in the end. It feels like you hardly did anything and then the game is over.

But on the other hand, I really liked how the Sub Events were mostly meaningful this time. A lot of them really help in fleshing out the characters and getting quite a bit of background information on the world or story.

Does the sequel still use the titles to get Grade? I feel like this was probably the worst thing about this game, since they "force" you to always keep a close look at meaningless stats if you want NG+ to be somewhat interesting.
I don't really feel like going for the platinum trophy in this either (since it's so closely linked to the titles), I'll probably just do the bonus dungeon and that's it.

RangerBAD

Should I have Tiger Blade Sigma if I haven't beat the game yet? I'm having trouble with
Muzet and Gaius
on Hard. I already reloaded and bought some Elixirs and Omega Elixirs.

Edit: I didn't know you could steal
Muzet's
Heavy Treat to keep her from healing
Gaius
all the time. (Does this really work?) Should be easy now.

Should I have Tiger Blade Sigma if I haven't beat the game yet? I'm having trouble with
Muzet and Gaius

I believe on the final boss if Jude and Milla are linked and you use a mystic arte you get tbs don't quote me on that though

Rhapsody

Banned
Muzet and Gaius
Nope, you get it when you beat the game.
I believe on the final boss if Jude and Milla are linked and you use a mystic arte you get tbs don't quote me on that though
You do, but only on the finishing blow.

Crispy

I got to the part
where you go to judes town and then go the mines
and now i just find the game really boring and repetitive and the story is so dull and the characters seem more and more unrelatable and that
new girl
is so freakin annoying.
Mining is the most stupidest game mechanic ever and the caves are so narrow that its hard to get behind the monsters
So i stopped playing, does it get any better, should i go back?

I stopped playing a few days ago, after enduring the tediousness of the mine. I guess I'll pick it up again in a few weeks, but I'm seriously burned out on the game.

It just seems like so many of the game systems are useless. It never really matters which route you take on the Lilium grid, the loot you find is all almost the same, spamming the same arte is the best battle tactic (hard only takes longer) the food doesn't do all that much, the shop expand system hardly ever matters because your limited money prevents you from purchasing high equipment early and every **** harbor looks the same!!!

I think linking is a nice addition to the battlesystem though.

*Rant over*

Ark

How long do I have to go from here?

Huge spoilers:
Playing as Jude and literally just got to Elimpios[?] and met up with Alvin's cousin. I feel like I've gone through eight different viable endings since the destroying the Lance of Kresnik.

Also does Gaius have any good anime cutscenes? He's so badass.

Ark

3-4 hours, I guess? Depends largely on how much you fight on the way.

Ah that's great, but I'll be sad when it's over. I've really enjoyed Xillia so far, fantastic game. I was planning on trading it on for some good money when I finish it but I've enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would plus I hear it's notoriously difficult to acquire Tales' games long after release, should I want to buy & play it again later on I figured it's best to keep it.

I should have it finished tomorrow evening and then the rest of the week is free for me to complete AC3 and be ready for GTAV!

RangerBAD

The final fight is still kicking my ass on Hard. Not so much getting beat as hitting the invisible wall that is
Muzet
and her Heavy Treats.

The final fight is still kicking my ass on Hard. Not so much getting beat as hitting the invisible wall that is
Muzet
and her Heavy Treats.

The trick is if she guards your attacks it heals her, either play as Alvin or link with Alvin to stop that. If playing as Alvin make sure you have charged artes = guard break skill equip and just spam charged variable trigger. Will keep her from healing and give you a chance to burn her for easy damage.

RangerBAD

The trick is if she guards your attacks it heals her, either play as Alvin or link with Alvin to stop that. If playing as Alvin make sure you have charged artes = guard break skill equip and just spam charged variable trigger. Will keep her from healing and give you a chance to burn her for easy damage.

Yeah, I noticed she healed then, but using Alvin didn't even cross my mind since I usually use Milla and have Leia and Elize in my party. I'll will try what you said. Thank you.

Zertez

I have been playing through the game on Hard and it isnt too difficult, outside a few boss fights. It just requires a tad more strategy, but it does get a little tedious beating down monsters with high hp pools. It is helping me learn how to fight more efficiently and linking everything together just right. On Normal things are almost too easy and seem to die before you can pull off some of the cooler moves. Im just not sure it is worth keeping it on Hard after I have learned most of the moves. I guess adding a few extra hours on the first play through isnt a bad thing.

RangerBAD

Still having problems with the final fight. I managed to take down
Muzet
once and of course she gets back up. It's her Heavy Treat + Hourglass spam that gets me.

Still having problems with the final fight. I managed to take down
Muzet
once and of course she gets back up. It's her Heavy Treat + Hourglass spam.

Remember it's the final fight don't be afraid to exploit that crap right back at them, also take advantage of Leia's skill to use an item on everyone along with the hp/tp full restore upon resurrection to keep everyone up at full health. After you knock her down the first time the moment she gets back up use an hour glass and get in her face so she doesn't have time to heal.

RangerBAD

Remember it's the final fight don't be afraid to exploit that crap right back at them, also take advantage of Leia's skill to use an item on everyone along with the hp/tp full restore upon resurrection to keep everyone up at full health. After you knock her down the first time the moment she gets back up use an hour glass and get in her face so she doesn't have time to heal.

Well, I have Leia spamming items when I need them. I try that and she has healed herself during my Mystic Arte finisher. Suddenly she has more health than she did before I hit her with that. It's driving me nuts. I can play hard games, but I feel like this is cheap. Maybe my gear and levels aren't good enough.

Top Bottom