• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

PKrockin

Correct spoiler marking strategies.
This is a spoiler for the 4th boss fight in Zelda
I can't believe the part when the boss breaks out a deck of cards and starts playing poker with himself!

Incorret spoiler marking strategies.
I can't believe
link
dies at the end of the boss fight against
megaman
or
Dude, I can't believe link just died

:p

Not sure who Rowen's voice actor is but he is pretty great indeed.

Soriku

Woot! 4 stores had the x3 bonus to expand! Almost all of them around level 70 now.
Rowen's voice is so good. Anyone knows who's the actor?

Xian Du spoilers:
So,
Alvin
turned out to be the
traitor
(who didn't see that coming?). The party reaction was so underwhelming... "do you promise to never do it again, please? :3".
Anyway, time to rescue
Elize
and
Teepo

Todd Haberkorn is Rowen.

Zafir

Hah, just did the
Golden Mage Knight
optional boss, everyone gained about 4ish levels, apart from Elize, who got about 10. I assume just due to me spamming Nurse all the damn time. Don't want to think what the fight is like in Hard, fight is long and tedious enough as it is.

Don't think I can be bothered doing the dungeon again, far too long considering it's just reusing all old areas.

Edit: Started my Milla playthrough and I'm almost sad that I'm killing everything in one hit due to the devil arms, Milla's battle music is such an improvement over Jude's imo.

Hah, just did the
Golden Mage Knight
optional boss, everyone gained about 4ish levels, apart from Elize, who got about 10. I assume just due to me spamming Nurse all the damn time. Don't want to think what the fight is like in Hard, fight is long and tedious enough as it is.

Don't think I can be bothered doing the dungeon again, far too long considering it's just reusing all old areas.

Edit: Started my Milla playthrough and I'm almost sad that I'm killing everything in one hit due to the devil arms, Milla's battle music is such an improvement over Jude's imo.

The second tme the dongeon is 5 floor longer , and the knight is also stronger ...

As tedious as this is , the final third form on hardest difficulty is a real challenge , worthy of being one of the most tough challenge in the tales universe ...

"You've been warned." Max level won't be enough to kill that

Zafir

The second tme the dongeon is 5 floor longer , and the knight is also stronger ...

As tedious as this is , the final third form on hardest difficulty is a real challenge , worthy of being one of the most tough challenge in the tales universe ...

If I do bother I won't be trying it till the end of my second playthrough then. I didn't even get to max level on the first one. After the optional boss I was level 80ish iirc, apart from Elize who ended up at 86 or so. Figured it was better just doing that on my second playthrough so I can just buy the experience x2 and x5.

Soriku

On Hard or Unknown? On Hard I beat him at similar levels to Zafir (a little over 80 with Elize being the highest due to her one skill). In his third form he has his attack stats at 9999 IIRC so in terms of attack I can't imagine him being that much harder on Unknown, even if he has bumped stats everywhere else. Plus if you keep Elize and Leia using Resurrection I think it is (the arte that revives you automatically once you die), and have Elize spam Nurse, it's kind of hard to get wiped lol. A few times in the battle you might have some close calls, but generally I thought the battles were just really long than really hard (still tough though).

Milennia

So im just now digging into this game, whats the general consensus (if there is one) on optimal roles/stat choices for the party?

Also, stepping seems a bit wonky for me, is it possible to finish every fight in the game without doing it and instead just free running?

Soriku

So im just now digging into this game, whats the general consensus (if there is one) on optimal roles/stat choices for the party?

Also, stepping seems a bit wonky for me, is it possible to finish every fight in the game without doing it and instead just free running?

You'll notice characters lean towards certain stats. Just focus more on the ones that they lean towards but also try to get artes and skills frequently. By lvl 99 you can max both Lilium Orbs (you'll unlock a second one eventually). You can't really mess up so just do whatever.

What do you mean by stepping? The side step that you can get/use? No need to use it. Backstepping? It's useful, especially with Jude. I'd try to get the hang of it, but you'd still be fine with just free running.

Milennia

You'll notice characters lean towards certain stats. Just focus more on the ones that they lean towards but also try to get artes and skills frequently. By lvl 99 you can max both Lilium Orbs (you'll unlock a second one eventually). You can't really mess up so just do whatever.

What do you mean by stepping? The side step that you can get/use? No need to use it. Backstepping? It's useful, especially with Jude. I'd try to get the hang of it, but you'd still be fine with just free running.

Ah thanks, yeah i meant the jude backstepping/teleport, thsnks for your help, cleared things up a bit, just trying to overcomplicate things for myself, as this game seems to throw a lot of stuff at you for what seems to be a simple combat system lol.

LuuKyK

Ah thanks, yeah i meant the jude backstepping/teleport, thsnks for your help, cleared things up a bit, just trying to overcomplicate things for myself, as this game seems to throw a lot of stuff at you for what seems to be a simple combat system lol.

There is a trophy/title for Jude Snap Pivot usage but honestly, you don't really need to do it constantly. I honestly never bothered with it even in the highest difficulty. There is a certain 1x1 (spoiler, so I wont say who is involved) battle in the game that you can grind if you want. I got most of mine in that fight.

PKrockin

It's quite simple, use a backstep to dodge an attack at the last moment. The window is actually very generous.

As far as the Lilium Orb I would just say to prioritize expanding the orb, generally.

Sagitario

Almost at the end of chapter 2. I am definitely enjoying the game much more, and the battle system too (the frame rate, though...).

And I finally got a Blue Sephira! I can't believe how little gald the battles give :(

Quick questions:
- Do the Sephira accessories stack? Would their effects be overridden by food buffs?
- Black feathers: what's the best item to exchange them for?

so i was really digging this game in the beginning but the fun has started to taper off a bit. i got to xian du and
teepo was captured.
do things start to pick up soon?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was floored when my characters got a 2nd Lilium Orb to play with.

Ohhh boyyyy. My obsession in filling them will be the bane of my social life and health :(((

This game is surprisingly long. I am around 22-23 hours in and I am currently doing stuff in Xian Du. Still a long way to go? Wait, don't answer that.

I am exclusively controlling Jude, though I realize this will stop me from gaining titles for character links that do not involve him. Hmmmmmmmm.

I *looooooooooooooooooooooooooove* Elize to death. Holy shit at her level of adorableness. Although now since Leia learned Heal I guess she's mostly at the back bench... sorry cutie pie :(

What's your ideal party guys? I always try to conform to 2 guys 2 girls rule, so for me it's mostly Jude-Leia-Millia-Alvin. I want to stuck Elize in there somewhere but for some reason it has been rather difficult to me to find an ideal party for her... and all of her Arte Links with Jude so far that I have found are the healing kind, not offensive....... Hmmm.

LuuKyK

so i was really digging this game in the beginning but the fun has started to taper off a bit. i got to xian du and
teepo was captured.
do things start to pick up soon?

Soon-ish. For me the story gets much better on the second half of the game. You will know you reached it because there is a long cutscene and things start to get frenetic.

I was floored when my characters got a 2nd Lilium Orb to play with.

Ohhh boyyyy. My obsession in filling them will be the bane of my social life and health :(((

This game is surprisingly long. I am around 22-23 hours in and I am currently doing stuff in Xian Du. Still a long way to go? Wait, don't answer that.

I am exclusively controlling Jude, though I realize this will stop me from gaining titles for character links that do not involve him. Hmmmmmmmm.

I *looooooooooooooooooooooooooove* Elize to death. Holy shit at her level of adorableness. Although now since Leia learned Heal I guess she's mostly at the back bench... sorry cutie pie :(

What's your ideal party guys? I always try to conform to 2 guys 2 girls rule, so for me it's mostly Jude-Leia-Millia-Alvin. I want to stuck Elize in there somewhere but for some reason it has been rather difficult to me to find an ideal party for her... and all of her Arte Links with Jude so far that I have found are the healing kind, not offensive....... Hmmm.

You haven't even reached 50% yet. :p My first play-through took something like 60+ hours, but I was doing everything I could, completion-wise, since I was going for the plat.

My party was always Jude, Milla, Alvin (tank), and Elize (healer). Only changed in the post game for the characters trophies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You haven't even reached 50% yet. :p My first play-through took something like 60+ hours, but I was doing everything I could, completion-wise, since I was going for the plat.

My party was always Jude, Milla, Alvin (tank), and Elize (healer). Only changed in the post game for the characters trophies.

Oh damnnnnnnnnnnn on the bolded.

I guess I should switch folks for character-specific titles huh... As for Elize, my ideal party for her is Jude, Milla (elemental attacks), Leia (fast blitz attack and for Lottery for more money), and Elize I guess... but this breaks my 2 guys 2 girls rule which I don't want to do :\ I guess Jude Milla Alvin Elize is the best option for me... but that leaves Leia out and I really like her. I guess I can switch out Milla for Rowen for elemental attacks *but* it just doesn't feel right to take out Milla from the main party considering she's one of the main leading characters. Oh man.....

My weapon and armor shops are level 50 right now, with Items and Accessory at 30. I've been rather neglecting Food, it's still at 25. I am *really* hurting for money now, ugghhh. When will the serious dough will come I wonder..... Any tips on money? That 4.99 DLC for instant 300.000 gil seem so evilly tempting right now, hahaha.

Anyone buy the DLC costumes here? They're so evilly expensive...

LuuKyK

Oh damnnnnnnnnnnn on the bolded.

I guess I should switch folks for character-specific titles huh... As for Elize, my ideal party for her is Jude, Milla (elemental attacks), Leia (fast blitz attack and for Lottery for more money), and Elize I guess... but this breaks my 2 guys 2 girls rule which I don't want to do :\ I guess Jude Milla Alvin Elize is the best option for me... but that leaves Leia out and I really like her. I guess I can switch out Milla for Rowen for elemental attacks *but* it just doesn't feel right to take out Milla from the main party considering she's one of the main leading characters. Oh man.....

My weapon and armor shops are level 50 right now, with Items and Accessory at 30. I've been rather neglecting Food, it's still at 25. I am *really* hurting for money now, ugghhh. When will the serious dough will come I wonder..... Any tips on money? That 4.99 DLC for instant 300.000 gil seem so evilly tempting right now, hahaha.

Anyone buy the DLC costumes here? They're so evilly expensive...

Just keep the party I mentioned if you don't want any trouble. It really is the ideal party. At some point give Alvin that ring that gives a lot of HP (I really cant remember the name) and he will have a whole lot more HP than the rest of the party, which saves you the trouble of having to heal/resurrect a party member in tough fights. And Elize simply is necessary for healing (give her the half time to cast or the half SP cost rings when you have any of those - reducing SP item consumption considerably).

About Leia and Rowen, honestly, if you are going for the plat, believe me, you will have to play them a lot, especially Leia for the Elongating Staff trophy (easily the hardest among the character specific ones). She is usable though, since she gets pretty nice healing spells and even a resurrect one later on. And Rowen is a glass canon character, his defense sucks and he has the lowest HP of all characters (even less than Elize), so he isnt really a good choice before post-game, which is a shame because his spells/attacks are pretty awesome, and spell-tuning is pretty cool.

About money, I don't remember having much trouble with it. Just buy weapons/armors that give you a significant boost over the one you currently have equipped. Many of the accessories you find in chests/treasures btw, you certainly get the best ones out of them. And try buying the food that gives you bonus money after each battle, it definitely helps (but maybe you should wait till they are cheaper, [thats why its important to upgrade the food shop too] - or else it doesnt really pay off).

Don't waste your money on the 300k gil pack. It really isnt worth it. And hell no, I am not paying 5 dollars for a costume.
Even if Milla's school girl outfit really tempted me to do so ;-; lol

Bladenic

Best party is pretty tough actually since everyone's great though I think I'd say Alvin is probably the least useful in a party setting. Jude/Milla/Leia/Elize is my favorite party, especially for bosses on Hard. Swap Leia for Rowen for mobs, though Leia/Jude have one of the best link artes in the game for clearing large groups (and deals tons of damage to bosses too).

But considering you can swap everyone on the fly "best party" is kind of a moot point.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Best party is pretty tough actually since everyone's great though I think I'd say Alvin is probably the least useful in a party setting. Jude/Milla/Leia/Elize is my favorite party, especially for bosses on Hard. Swap Leia for Rowen for mobs, though Leia/Jude have one of the best link artes in the game for clearing large groups (and deals tons of damage to bosses too).

But considering you can swap everyone on the fly "best party" is kind of a moot point.

Not really, considering: (1) The party reverts back to the original members after battle making it a pain in the arse to do all the switching again on subsequent battles and (2) It certainly affects Arte settings and placements since I imagine all players put their favorite Artes to do link and stuff based on the party they're on/most comfortable with.

Just keep the party I mentioned if you don't want any trouble. It really is the ideal party. At some point give Alvin that ring that gives a lot of HP (I really cant remember the name) and he will have a whole lot more HP than the rest of the party, which saves you the trouble of having to heal/resurrect a party member in tough fights. And Elize simply is necessary for healing (give her the half time to cast or the half SP cost rings when you have any of those - reducing SP item consumption considerably).

-snip-

Don't waste your money on the 300k gil pack. It really isnt worth it. And hell no, I am not paying 5 dollars for a costume.
Even if Milla's school girl outfit really tempted me to do so ;-; lol

You definitely want Elize in your party. If you want two guys, ditch Milla for Rowen.

Hmmmmmmmm. I guess if I must, I will go with Jude + Milla + Alvin + Elize since it is the most ideal option considering my preferences.

Wow I'm not sure if story is good, but man the dialogues are HILARIOUS.

A lot of sexual innuendos. =D

Indeed, it was quite enjoyable. Jude is such a lucky bastard with a sexy god, perky childhood friend, and adorable girl all hanging around him, hahaha.

coopolon

My first Tales game. Maybe team based action RPGs just aren't for me. The combat just seems so chatic. I just keep spamming X, circle, X, etc. Push the L stick left or right every once in awhile for variety. I upped the difficulty but it doesn't seem to have changed much.

I'm a few hours in, just reached the village after the first set of plains.

Tizoc

OK I just got to the part where
everyone splits up and Milla's legs are busted up.
The cutscenes are very...weak for lack of a better term, I just don't feel much enthusiasm from them, as the events 'just happen'. The one examples I can think up, sadly are the classic FF games like 9 and 6, which had some really good and moving cutscenes.

Also the areas in the game are so dull, lifeless and unimaginative.

Zafir

OK I just got to the part where
everyone splits up and Milla's legs are busted up.
The cutscenes are very...weak for lack of a better term, I just don't feel much enthusiasm from them, as the events 'just happen'. The one examples I can think up, sadly are the classic FF games like 9 and 6, which had some really good and moving cutscenes.

Also the areas in the game are so dull, lifeless and unimaginative.
Honestly, you're nearly up to the point where it starts to get better from a story perspective. I agree it starts out slow, it's why I ended up not completing it till last week when I got it on launch. However, a bit not far from where you are it starts to pick up, and then at the end of chapter 2 it stays pretty strong till the end imo.

The areas are always a mixed bag throughout the game though. The city designs are amazing in my opinion, but on the other hand, the fields are just the same old reused style. Dungeons end up being somewhere in between.

Tizoc

Neat, I've been given 6 days off from work so I'll attempt to put time into the game if its gonna get good from here =D

Proven

Rowen is actually pretty decent against bosses, but only if a human player is on him so he can do his Tuning. Multiple Fireballs have a decent chance at burning and they do percentage damage to bosses. The multiple hits and decent damage also give you a decent chance at staggering a boss even when they're in armor frames from things like casting. Giving him a Sharpness buff from Leia can reduce the amount of hits needed to stagger as well.

Anyone who used Rita in Vesperia and loved multiple fireball spamming among other things will really enjoy Rowen.

demidar

Rowen is actually pretty decent against bosses, but only if a human player is on him so he can do his Tuning. Multiple Fireballs have a decent chance at burning and they do percentage damage to bosses. The multiple hits and decent damage also give you a decent chance at staggering a boss even when they're in armor frames from things like casting. Giving him a Sharpness buff from Leia can reduce the amount of hits needed to stagger as well.

Anyone who used Rita in Vesperia and loved multiple fireball spamming among other things will really enjoy Rowen.

Yeah, Fireball spamming is insanely effective, especially on higher difficulties. The burning effect is the main damage dealer, but the impact damage is also still quite high for a single Fireball.

You could probably cripple enemy bosses with Elize as well since her spells can cause Terror, which is like Stun except you can't get knocked out of it.

LuuKyK

Yeah, I loved to use Rowen, it was a blast to get his trophies. Lots of fun using the tuning.

But Elize... I am glad her trophies are ridiculously easy because I did't "feel" her at all. Setting Teepo on and off to match your focus on magic or physical is quite confusing at times, and honestly her physical attacks aren't even that great aside from the one where Teepo falls from the sky (lol). I also find it pretty hard to be a healer in Tales games, so yeah, I usually just leave her up to the AI.

Zafir

Nearly at the end of my Milla playthrough now, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised by how many scenes are different really. I was honestly expecting much less. I'd say her side gives a lot more depth to Alvin and Leia too.

Proven

Nearly at the end of my Milla playthrough now, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised by how many scenes are different really. I was honestly expecting much less. I'd say her side gives a lot more depth to Alvin and Leia too.

That's almost reason enough for me to do a playthrough with her.

Tizoc

OK so
Teepo was really just an extension of Elize's psyche/thoughts? I didn't like the little guy much but this really hurts the poor girl.
The recent revelations weren't presented very well, might be because I'm used to how the old FFs did it, but the simple scene presentation fails to deliver these events in a strong light.

Voror

Are there any EXP tricks with the Coliseum? I remember reading one a long time ago but can't find it now. I know about the Splash tuning method but I don't have all I Rowen's skills yet for it, though he's at 52 so I must think I'm close.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I spent some time in Xagut Floodmeadow and Old Vicalle Mine and now at the beginning of chapter 2 (just got to Xian Du) I'm lvl 40. Other places to grind? Not right now, I'm probably overleveled already, but in future... I guess all the places where the devil's beasts are located have high level mobs?

Voror

I spent some time in Xagut Floodmeadow and Old Vicalle Mine and now at the beginning of chapter 2 (just got to Xian Du) I'm lvl 40. Other places to grind? Not right now, I'm probably overleveled already, but in future... I guess all the places where the devil's beasts are located have high level mobs?

Yeah that's where I spent a lot of time as well as those areas are also great places to get materials. A few of my shops are already in the 70s and I haven't even finished Chapter 2.

Milennia

Ok, im at the end of the game now at about 38 hours.
i cant believe how big the difficulty spike was after milla died, so many bosses

Also thats not the end of the game apparently... I was sure it was lol.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Yeah that's where I spent a lot of time as well as those areas are also great places to get materials. A few of my shops are already in the 70s and I haven't even finished Chapter 2.

I could get 2 or 3 shops around lvl50 right now but I'm going to wait for 3x multiplier.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I could get 2 or 3 shops around lvl50 right now but I'm going to wait for 3x multiplier.

Yeah it's best to be patient, but I wish I wasn't so random at times.

That material that can be stolen from Gentleman enemies in the Old Vicalle Mine, it gives a very high value for shops and from what I can read, that type of materials will never be multiplied beyond x1 so I've been collecting that with Jude throwing Beast left and right to knock them down and Leia as his partner to steal the materials.

They give off decent EXP too, not bad.

Speaking of, I was curious about that Devil Arms monster in the mine and I engaged it: my party got wiped out in like 10 seconds, ahahahaha.

That material that can be stolen from Gentleman enemies in the Old Vicalle Mine, it gives a very high value for shops and from what I can read, that type of materials will never be multiplied beyond x1 so I've been collecting that with Jude throwing Beast left and right to knock them down and Leia as his partner to steal the materials.

They give off decent EXP too, not bad.

Speaking of, I was curious about that Devil Arms monster in the mine and I engaged it: my party got wiped out in like 10 seconds, ahahahaha.

I did that but somehow recovered! Milla cleaning up.

Are there any EXP tricks with the Coliseum? I remember reading one a long time ago but can't find it now. I know about the Splash tuning method but I don't have all I Rowen's skills yet for it, though he's at 52 so I must think I'm close.

Not so much with the Coliseum but pretty much any enemy really with Rowen or Milla.

Just set difficulty to unknown mode, defeat all but one enemy and then have everyone else on defend. For Rowen, have 1 damage, speed spell and spell end on and then basically mash Splash on the enemy. The enemy will basically get stunned locked until you stop casting splash.

Milla is easy as all she needs is 1 damage and either Ray Sting or
Slyph.

Milennia

Wow... Howlongtobeat had me convinced is was anout a 37 hour game, but once i hit that point, the game threw a whole new area at me.
i was sure after milla died and the whole Maxwell thing, that it was over.. Due to the immense difficulty spike and shit loads of bosses, but then the game threw me into elympios, an entirely new area.. Lol, am i at the half way point right now? I just got to elympios and I'm about to leave for a new town

LuuKyK

Wow... Howlongtobeat had me convinced is was anout a 37 hour game, but once i hit that point, the game threw a whole new area at me.
i was sure after milla died and the whole Maxwell thing, that it was over.. Due to the immense difficulty spike and shit loads of bosses, but then the game threw me into elympios, an entirely new area.. Lol, am i at the half way point right now? I just got to elympios and I'm about to leave for a new town

Yeah, around halfway through now. I would say probably 60~70%. It also surprised me when I played for the first time btw. :p

Top Bottom