• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

For those Who played xillia..
I haven't played it yet (time constraints, job responsabilities te all, though i own the le with millia figurine)..
I'd love an impression on the bs.. Step forward or backward from graces?
Personally i've found graces to be the best bs on tales so far, so i'd like to know if i should hope for zestria to actually improve from graces, or xillia itself has already gone down that route!

Sagitario

Is there any kind of bonus for performing artes a certain number of times? Like in previous games where it would add stats, reduce TP costs, improve the arte?

Is there any kind of bonus for performing artes a certain number of times? Like in previous games where it would add stats, reduce TP costs, improve the arte?

Yeah, +Crit%, +DMG, -MP, etc. There's a chart somewhere on this thread on a star-per-star basis (they're the same for each arte and percentage based).

Some artes also get enhanced like dealing more hits, able to be done from mid-air, recover more HP, etc.

Zafir

I just encountered two poults and a slenderman who killed my party in 30 seconds. Twice.

What. The. Fuck.
Was that in that in the Floodmeadow?

Came across some slenderman type mobs in there, and they're nasty. I'm assuming you aren't meant to be going through that place till a bit later. :p

Edit: Seems like they appear in areas which contain the side bosses.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Was that in that in the Floodmeadow?

Came across some slenderman type mobs in there, and they're nasty. I'm assuming you aren't meant to be going through that place till a bit later. :p

Edit: Seems like they appear in areas which contain the side bosses.

Yes, it was there. I missed the warning from the lady in front of the gate.

PKrockin

First time I saw the warning, decided to try it anyway, got one-shotted, went "oh shit" and just ran. At least escaping is easy in this game.

Some artes also get enhanced like dealing more hits, able to be done from mid-air, recover more HP, etc.

This also goes for some Linked Artes. Splash Beam adds a hit, Flame Sphere gets bigger, Sharpening Pulse damages enemies and then can decease their attack, etc.

Sagitario

Some skills and stats have made Jude so much better and faster to control. L1/side stepping is nice and was greatly missed from Graces, although it doesn't work the same way here.

How many Lilium Orbs per character are there? Should I start worrying about the orb development, meaning, GP becomes a limited resource and good skills can actually be missed?

This also goes for some Linked Artes. Splash Beam adds a hit, Flame Sphere gets bigger, Sharpening Pulse damages enemies and then can decease their attack, etc.
I noticed the area for Jude's Heal arte gets bigger.
Is there an arte FAQ/wiki/chart? There was one for Graces.

Graces still has the best battle system. Xillia is a better game tho.
Graces has the better everything but story/characters. One might prefer Xillia over Graces and vice versa, but trying to be as objective as possible, Graces is the better game.

Chris R

So I just cleaned out a cave in chapter 4 after doing work on a lab. Where is the best place to grind stuff out now? I'm guessing I'm very close to the end?

edit: Also, putting Alvin in the aviators and Ellie in the Shiba ears was the best choice I've ever made in a game.

edit #2: I guess I'm right before the end of the game now. There has to be a best spot to grind up before the final stuff... right?

PKrockin

Alvin was born to wear the aviators.

How many Lilium Orbs per character are there? Should I start worrying about the orb development, meaning, GP becomes a limited resource and good skills can actually be missed?
Two. You can miss a few good skills if you don't want to grind a bunch, but it's not nearly as bad as Abyss or Vesperia. I would recommend getting to Orb 2 quickly though, since the later skills for Orb 1 aren't generally too interesting IIRC.

I noticed the area for Jude's Heal arte gets bigger.
Is there an arte FAQ/wiki/chart? There was one for Graces.
http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/ToX_-_Jude_Mathis:_Artes

Jude's moveset is so good. Almost every arte is useful to some degree.

Graces has the better everything but story/characters. One might prefer Xillia over Graces and vice versa, but trying to be as objective as possible, Graces is the better game.
Xillia has significantly better music than Graces's awfulness.

Sagitario

Two. You can miss a few good skills if you don't want to grind a bunch, but it's not nearly as bad as Abyss or Vesperia. I would recommend getting to Orb 2 quickly though, since the later skills for Orb 1 aren't generally too interesting IIRC.
http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/ToX_-_Jude_Mathis:_Artes
Jude's moveset is so good. Almost every arte is useful to some degree.
Dammit! I wish I had known before. I completed 99% of everyone's first orb :\
And thanks for the link, I will check it out.

What kind of bonus do you get by upping the difficulty? The game isn't clear about it. Exp. and gald earned don't change.

Xillia has significantly better music than Graces's awfulness.
I agree. Xillia OST is better and more balanced, but I am not feeling the battle themes at all [so far]. I am currently using Cress and Stahn's costumes cause I am not enjoying Jude's themes (and I am usually a sucker for Sakuraba's battle arrangements).

Some Graces tracks I really liked/enjoyed/LOVED (for me, Graces has better battle music):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POzc9GDDPHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rjs8u5G2A8 <--- Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZKq-KTKkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whj-w4YLdqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ghapehxkqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLzeFmyD3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_feA9CuyUE <--- It became one of my favorite boss battle themes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-G-NDChVRQ <--- some parts remind me of Supreme Ruler Of The Nine Heavens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My63fYuI-DI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJs1Mk06ag8 <--- Favorite dungeon music. It's like I am listening to something from Valkyrie Profile, but better.

The final boss theme is also really really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_Y3I9RBnE

Zafir

Is there no way to force the shop expansion bonuses to change? I've been trying to get 3x bonuses for ANYTHING, but there hasn't been one since about 10 hours in game time ago. I've completed a chapter, and done lots of side quests in that time.

PKrockin

Dammit! I wish I had known before. I completed 99% of everyone's first orb :\
And thanks for the link, I will check it out.

What kind of bonus do you get by upping the difficulty? The game isn't clear about it. Exp. and gald earned don't change.
Just more bonus EXP. It's not a big deal.

Is there no way to force the shop expansion bonuses to change? I've been trying to get 3x bonuses for ANYTHING, but there hasn't been one since about 10 hours in game time ago. I've completed a chapter, and done lots of side quests in that time.

No way to force it. I think there's a percentage chance of it changing when you finish a battle, and if it doesn't change, the chance goes up slightly. When it changes, the chance resets.

Chris R

Beat it earlier tonight, was a bunch of fun. Story wasn't terrible either so that was nice.

Now to get a few more trophies (max weapon shop, max characters, ect) before putting it away.

When is 2 coming out in the USA?

demidar

Beat it earlier tonight, was a bunch of fun. Story wasn't terrible either so that was nice.

Now to get a few more trophies (max weapon shop, max characters, ect) before putting it away.

When is 2 coming out in the USA?

Best bet is second half of this year.

Zafir

Just more bonus EXP. It's not a big deal.

No way to force it. I think there's a percentage chance of it changing when you finish a battle, and if it doesn't change, the chance goes up slightly. When it changes, the chance resets.
I see. I did manage to get some 3x again after a while. Wasn't until near the end of chapter 3 though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the PSN sale thread, and LuuKyK gave me his answer, but I thought I'd ask it here as well:

Between Xillia for $20 and Vesperia for $20 (its current price on the XBL store), which is better? Keep in mind I have never played a Tales game.

To give you guys an idea of games I like, I'm currently playing both Ni no Kuni and Kingdom Hearts 1 and I'm really enjoying them. I like the combat in KH1 more than NNK, but I don't like how cheap some of the bosses in KH1 can be (Ursula 2 ugh). Also I'm not a fan of grinding in general.

Datschge

Vesperia is the fan favourite, the last Tales entry of the tried and true old school kind (e.g. with a world map) and due to its cell shading arguably the best looking Tales game so far. Xillia is a modern Tales game with polished story presentation and a lot of more or less unpolished game design experimentations that shouldn't bother someone new to Tales though. Maybe you could watch a couple battle videos of both if you still can't decide.

Posted this on the Playstation Sale thread but I'm guessing I would get a better answer on here.

I don't know if I should pick up Xilia. It's only ten bucks but...Bravely Default is coming out pretty soon and I don't want to juggle 2 JRPG's.

What does everyone think of Xilia? The Tales game I played most was Symphonia and I really loved that game. I think the characters had a lot to do with it. Combat was fun as well, I guess.

PKrockin

Posted this on the Playstation Sale thread but I'm guessing I would get a better answer on here.

I don't know if I should pick up Xilia. It's only ten bucks but...Bravely Default is coming out pretty soon and I don't want to juggle 2 JRPG's.

What does everyone think of Xilia? The Tales game I played most was Symphonia and I really loved that game. I think the characters had a lot to do with it. Combat was fun as well, I guess.

I doubt you'll find it cheaper than $10. If you loved Symphonia go for it. Vesperia and Abyss are more similar to Symphonia, being more balanced, traditional JRPGs with puzzle solving, a world map, etc. whereas the latest games Graces and Xillia focused more on combat.

Ideally I would say play Vesperia next, but $10 is a steal and you'll probably like Xillia too.

Zafir

Yeah, for 10 dollars you may as well give it a shot really. The gameplay has changed a bit since Symphonia, but it is still very similar.

Best thing anyone can do is just take a look at some videos/screenshots. See whether you like the look of the combat and think you'll like the characters/world.

So since this is going on sale soon, I'll probably be buying it. Just to confirm what I've read in both the OP and some posts a few pages back, starting with Jude is recommended for story purposes, yes?

kuroshiki

How the fuck you guys dealt with the price of DLC?

In japan set of dlc costume was 500 yen ($4.50), and here it is $3 per costume.

WTF?!

PKrockin

WTF?!

How do I deal with it? I don't buy it, because I don't want that cancer to spread. The DLC in Tales games is so unnecessary and far removed from the experience of playing the game you would 100% the game before knowing it's there, and I'd like it to stay that way.

kuroshiki

How do I deal with it? I don't buy it, because I don't want that cancer to spread. The DLC in Tales games is so unnecessary and far removed from the experience of playing the game you would 100% the game before knowing it's there, and I'd like it to stay that way.

I just want fucking maid costume but I don't want to spend $3 for ONE. That's more expensive than DOA5 costume for fuck sake....

Danj

So I heard this game is on sale for 10 bucks for PS+ users on USA PSN, anyone know if that's likely to be replicated over here in EU-land?

Bladenic

I posted this in the PSN sale thread, and LuuKyK gave me his answer, but I thought I'd ask it here as well:

To give you guys an idea of games I like, I'm currently playing both Ni no Kuni and Kingdom Hearts 1 and I'm really enjoying them. I like the combat in KH1 more than NNK, but I don't like how cheap some of the bosses in KH1 can be (Ursula 2 ugh). Also I'm not a fan of grinding in general.

Get Xillia now since it's on sale and get a Vesperia later if you like Xilia (Vesperia is better IMO). And there's no grinding ever in Tales games, that's what adjustable difficulty levels are for.

Just bought this game on a whim because I'm laid up with a busted knee and I need a JRPG to stop the march of games I'm demolishing...

This is amazing. I've only played a few hours of the GBA Symphonia prior in the Tales series, and I'm blown away. It doesn't hurt that it reminds me strongly of Star Ocean 2, my all-time favorite RPG, of course.

I'm only about two hours in, just completed the first sidequest that Alvin walks you through. Starting to get a feel for the link system. I really enjoy jumping over an enemy and having Millia gank them as they turn to follow me.

I kill every enemy on every field. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed myself enough with RPG combat to do that. Doesn't hurt that the resource balance is exquisite. Now that I understand a bit more of replenishing TP, increasing max AC and so forth, the battles are finding a flow. I wish I had a bit longer to work, though. Even that miniboss encounter with the crabs was too brief. I need a real boss for me to practice blocking, dodging, and combos.

How long is this game? And where do I go next?

PKrockin

If things are dying too fast for your liking you can turn up the difficulty a bit.

Should be 40 hours long not going out of the way for battles or sidequests.

Press R1 to see what you're supposed to do next. Or check the Events List in the menu. It summarizes the main story and sidequests.

Sagitario

I have to admit, I am liking Teepo (its skit expressions are funny). I also giggled a bit at the bazonga skits.

Indeed, I refuse to buy costumes.
So, outside of the color variations, no costumes at all in the disc? Dammit! I just wanted speedo Alvin ( ._.)
Malik is still best!
iFeBHrn62EMc8.gif

If things are dying too fast for your liking you can turn up the difficulty a bit.
I already did this and enemies still die too fast :p
30 hours and I just got to Xian Du.

WTF?!

Well i got a bunch of dlc ... but then again i've got the japanese version only.

AT least you can console yourselves by knowing that this dlc will be compatible with xillia 2
Every dlc is compatible , except the xp bonus dlc.

SaintZ

So, outside of the color variations, no costumes at all in the disc? Dammit! I just wanted speedo Alvin ( ._.)
Mila and Alvin get a costume when you finish the black feather sidequest. Mila also gets another costume when you finish her side of the story, same with Jude.

WTF?!

No idea where you saw a set of DLC costumes for 500 yen, when the individuals are going for 300 yen right now.

Unless they are on that 2nd page of DLC that I couldn't open cause the web store was being a hot mess here.

This game, hell the series needs dual audio. The English voices are so typical and generic which is one of the reasons I put Graces f down.

sasuke_91

This game, hell the series needs dual audio. The English voices are so typical and generic which is one of the reasons I put Graces f down.

I don't have a problem with most of the voice-acting, but Teepo's and Elise's voices sure are annoying as hell.
I would like every JRPG to have dual audio.

Soriku

I don't have a problem with most of the voice-acting, but Teepo's and Elise's voices sure are annoying as hell.
I would like every JRPG to have dual audio.

Teepo's voice is great (fits his character). Same with almost everyone else's. I only had problems with Milla (voice doesn't fit as well as it should) and Elize (who sounded kind of forced at times).

Teepo's voice is great (fits his character). Same with almost everyone else's. I only had problems with Milla (voice doesn't fit as well as it should) and Elize (who sounded kind of forced at times).

I love Teepo's voice. It fits his character so well. Milla grew on me but I agree with Elize. She's the only character whose voice acting feels forced. It doesn't seem natural at all.

I started
Magnus Zero and I thought I was done after the optional boss but then you have to go through it another 2 times!

I love Teepo's voice. It fits his character so well. Milla grew on me but I agree with Elize. She's the only character whose voice acting feels forced. It doesn't seem natural at all.

I started
Magnus Zero and I thought I was done after the optional boss but then you have to go through it another 2 times!

Only if you want to beat everything or whatever. Trophy-wise you are done after the first encounter with the bosses.

Sagitario

Woot! 4 stores had the x3 bonus to expand! Almost all of them around level 70 now.
Rowen's voice is so good. Anyone knows who's the actor?

Xian Du spoilers:
So,
Alvin
turned out to be the
traitor
(who didn't see that coming?). The party reaction was so underwhelming... "do you promise to never do it again, please? :3".
Anyway, time to rescue
Elize
and
Teepo

Top Bottom