• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Shouta

If you do higher combos, you get a higher extra XP multiplier. That's it. It's easy for you to level up in this game as a result of this and how broken some aspects of some characters' attacks can be.

That's why shit like this is hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIe0cBHUNw4

There's an overflow hit video out there, but it spoils the final dungeon theme, so I won't post it. But if you have a turbo controller, that's certainly something you can try out. I did it by hand to test it out and had a laugh to myself. Ah, there's the OG overflow video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9LCSGjlTE4

And then there's Milla, who kinda breaks it too after chapter 4 (don't watch this if you haven't beaten chapter 3!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ndfCf8AZ8&feature=related

I'm going to break the game when I play it next. =P

MilkBeard

Game gets better as you go, at least in terms of narrative and characters. I'm about 10 hours in so far.

Teepo's voice sucks, though. They didn't seem to put effort into making it fit the appearance.

vall03

I just a fought boss that fucking spammed his Mystic Arte several times. I've never experienced anything like this in any other Tales game. What the fuck was that?

Trike

So far I am at the part where I am about to get Rowan, I believe. Is it normal for me to have a level 35 Accessory shop at this point? Level 30 Weapon shop too I believe, possibly armor as well, I forget. I mostly ignore the item and food shops because they seem less important comparatively. The battle/link system is kind of balls, but not as terrible as I have heard some people describe it. The leveling up system is pretty fun though, if not reminiscent of FFX, iirc. I like the shop expansion system too.

The arte evolution system kinda sucks, or is not existent. I am not going to use the beginning artes 400 times, nevertheless 9999 times. At least it is more consistent than the other Tales games.

The story is okay so far, nothing special. I don't dislike any of the characters so far, which is more than I can say of Graces.

What does raising the difficulty do? I have heard that the drop rates are increased, but no one knows the percentages or if they actually are. I also heard you might get extra EXP.

Zafir

Not going to order from Namco directly again. It's release day now and it is still in France. Also since its courier it most likely won't be delivered on a Saturday. Consequently I'll be waiting till Monday now...

Stuart444

Not going to order from Namco directly again. It's release day now and it is still in France. Also since its courier it most likely won't be delivered on a Saturday. Consequently I'll be waiting till Monday now...

I suggest sending a complaint e-mail to them. Might as well let them know that they have fucked up. (Or their courier did at least)

It's what I was going to do if I didn't get it today, that's for sure.

So far I am at the part where I am about to get Rowan, I believe. Is it normal for me to have a level 35 Accessory shop at this point? Level 30 Weapon shop too I believe, possibly armor as well, I forget. I mostly ignore the item and food shops because they seem less important comparatively. The battle/link system is kind of balls, but not as terrible as I have heard some people describe it. The leveling up system is pretty fun though, if not reminiscent of FFX, iirc. I like the shop expansion system too.

The arte evolution system kinda sucks, or is not existent. I am not going to use the beginning artes 400 times, nevertheless 9999 times. At least it is more consistent than the other Tales games.

The story is okay so far, nothing special. I don't dislike any of the characters so far, which is more than I can say of Graces.

What does raising the difficulty do? I have heard that the drop rates are increased, but no one knows the percentages or if they actually are. I also heard you might get extra EXP.

I heard that in Xillia raising difficulty doesn't actually do anything (though in other Tales games it does raise XP and item drops). I might be wrong, though.

I have to echo you on the cast. I'm actually liking everyone so far and am at the same point as you. I was wary of Elize since I usually hate young characters, but she's really awesome and has a completely non-grating voice (Teepo, however...)

My weapon and armour shops are around level 15 and I'm at the same place as you, so... maybe you're too advanced, or I'm under advanced....

Zafir

I suggest sending a complaint e-mail to them. Might as well let them know that they have fucked up. (Or their courier did at least)

It's what I was going to do if I didn't get it today, that's for sure.
Yeah I already sent them one before I posted on here. Figured they may give me something for screwing up. Who knows though. :/

aravuus

Are there many occasions Milla leaves the party on Jude playthrough? While Jude's healing abilities are absolutely fantastic, generally Milla seems like a lot more fun to play as. What about other characters, if I happen to like them, should I not get too attached to their play styles?

I love the combat as usual, but I still think it isn't as good as Vesperia's or Graces'.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
15 hours in, just met up with
Muzet after Jude got washed away.
Officially further than I got in the Japanese version when I played it... and now I realize I didn't get very far at all before quitting the first time. I should have kept going because the story has gotten a lot more interesting...

Reknoc

Has this waiting for me when I got home yesterday:

BRKY00bCQAMnmpU.jpg

Not really had much chance to play it yet though, only managed to finish the tutorial quest at the lake.

aravuus

Are there many occasions Milla leaves the party on Jude playthrough? While Jude's healing abilities are absolutely fantastic, generally Milla seems like a lot more fun to play as. What about other characters, if I happen to like them, should I not get too attached to their play styles?

I love the combat as usual, but I still think it isn't as good as Vesperia's or Graces'.

Slowly starting to like Milla's style more and I may have to take back the last statement, complete freedom in combining normal attacks and artes in a combo is pretty goddamn awesome. So Xillia may end up being better than Vesperia, combat-wise. I just wish Milla didn't run closer to the enemy if I tried to cast spells instead of using the melee versions of the artes... Downsides of the semi-auto I guess.

Anyway, can anyone answer my question?

e: "chicken turf war" hahaha

Holmes

Is there a way to make overlimit last longer? I want to be able to use more chain artes, but I use one and it's already over...

Datschge

So I did my usual spiel and looked at the two new staff rolls (EU and US) and am a little bummed. I heard of the practise to remove involved staff that left the company in the mean time, but this game is the first where I see it in effect. Of the previously 84 Tales Studio people 19 were removed. Additionally its whole special thanks section (accounting for 25 more people) was removed.

Funny thing is Namco Tales Studio is nowhere mentioned anymore, but the one time "SWOT by NTS" (standing for "scenario work organisation team by namco tales studio" or something like that) logo is still included. ^^

And I didn't see any recording studio listed for the English voice overs (the translation part is also incredible short in the US version, even non-existing in the EU version). Did Hometek cut its decade long ties with Cup of Tea Productions and move that in-house? May explain the "lisping" due to worse recording quality.

vjoe

Neo Member
I just started playing this. The last Tales game I've played (and finished) was Tales of Symphonia. I played some of Abyss, but never got to finish it, so I'm not the best judge on how this game is compared to other Tales.

I'm about 4 hours in, and I'm kinda enjoying the gameplay so far. I like that there is basically no world map (not sure if this was a change they made in the series recently) and the fact that after I defeat the monsters in the field they won't respawn till I go out and come back to it, which helps in collecting stuff from the field.

The side-quests are kinda enjoyable (mostly because I'm enjoying the world and the combat system), but I wished they were implemented and tracked in a better way during gameplay.

One thing I hate (maybe because I played this after TLoU) is the way the characters act during cutscenes, or the lack of it. They just seem that they are standing there moving their mouths while the voices track is played without any real movements. Even the skits had better display of emotions than the cut scenes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got my game on Wednesday. I still have yet to play it. How is everyone liking the game so far?

I still have to finish Graces :S

Is there a way to make overlimit last longer? I want to be able to use more chain artes, but I use one and it's already over...

You should be able to get at least 4 off if you're quick even at the beginning of the game. The trick to remember is you can't do the same arte twice in a row. Try practicing with Jude and Milla linked as they have tons of linked artes. Once you get used to the timing practice switching to Alvin and activating one of his instead.

I got my game on Wednesday. I still have yet to play it. How is everyone liking the game so far?

I still have to finish Graces :S

Gameplay wise this is good but not as fun as Graces f. Everything else blows graces f away especially the story and characters.

Just got the butler. Not what I expect. Thought he was gonna be a sword master and not a musical knife throwing mage.

I think I might drop difficulty from moderate to normal. Enemy encounters are easy but bosses are just annoying and not much fun :(

Why won't you block you silly AI!

So when exactly do the mystic artes come in? I'm at the point where
you meet the Auj Oule King (who I wasn't expecting to be the villain from the opening) and there's no sign of them. I remember in Graces you got mystic artes pretty early, and in Abyss you got them around halfway through.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Count me in the group of people that likes Milla's VA. She is so matter of fact about everything, it seems to add to the fact that she's not human. I didn't get much farther only playing about an hour last night but I did go up a few levels simply killing every monster I saw on the way to her shrine.

you know... would be great if tales game had an override party block that cancels all moves and gets everyone to block right that moment. Would save much headaches.

I do kinda wish jude's super tactical genius skills he demonstrates during cutscenes was part of his play style a bit more.

you know... would be great if tales game had an override party block that cancels all moves and gets everyone to block right that moment. Would save much headaches.

I do kinda wish jude's super tactical genius skills he demonstrates during cutscenes was part of his play style a bit more.

Ai Jude does a pretty good job of backing off to heal someone, the better question is why can't Jude teleport outside of combat like he can inside combat?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Count me in the group of people that likes Milla's VA. She is so matter of fact about everything, it seems to add to the fact that she's not human. I didn't get much farther only playing about an hour last night but I did go up a few levels simply killing every monster I saw on the way to her shrine.

I like Milla's VA. She is an outsider so the accent can be understood why she might have an accent. Then again I notice Jude has a lisp too when mentioning words like Professor which I found odd at the beginning but nothing really off putting.

I feel like i enjoy tales games localization way more if I don't know what the original jp va sounds like or who done it.

I pretty much just watch jp upcoming tales footage on mute lol.

Ath

Only a couple of hours in, having a lot of fun so far. Milla's voice is fine to me. There's a deadpan style to her delivery, which I find makes her skits absolutely hilarious and quite endearing. I'm a big fan of Graces, it's too early to determine how this will stack up to it, but the early signs are promising.

I would be sadden if milla maxwell doesn't get meteor storm at some point.

what are the link artes yall been using the most? Found the explosion looking one with jude/milla (steel + her fire arte?) to be quite effective for normal mobs.

Dragoshi1

About 8-10 hours in, currently on my way to Jude's hometown with
a crippled Milla

I love everything about this game. The characters, the combat, the new leveling system, the expansions of shops, the skills, everything.

Graces F was so confusing with skills and Titles and Eleth and stuff. I didn't bother memorizing or learning that stuff.

But this game, I'm enjoying every part of it, just as I did with Vesperia.

The game seems great so far, but every time i go into a battle is puts me back as Jude as who i control in combat. Is there any way to change who my default character in combat is, or do i have to switch every battle?

aravuus

The game seems great so far, but every time i go into a battle is puts me back as Jude as who i control in combat. Is there any way to change who my default character in combat is, or do i have to switch every battle?

Move your character to the top of the party menu. Number one if you look at the little red leaves next to the portraits.

Just fought
Jiaoi
(whatever it was) and I definitely see why everyone's calling the boss battles stupid. Continuous combo breaking is just utter bullshit, though thankfully it's the only bad thing about the combat system. Fighting regular enemies is still a lot of fun.

khaaan

Had a good play session last night, really enjoyed my time with it!

The negativity surrounding Milla's voice had me cautious but I thought it sounded fine. I probably wouldn't have noticed the lisp so soon either if I hadn't already heard about it. The battle system is a lot of fun but I find that it gets hectic to a point where I've stopped trying to play with finesse. When I started off I really tried to focus on mastering Judes backstep/teleport thing but now I focus more on executing linked artes.

Speaking of the Linked Artes, the tutorials threw a bunch of information so I wasn't able to digest it all clearly but I'm a bit confused on how the meter works. To clarify: I rack up combos, the meter fill up, and when I have a segment filled up I can execute a linked art. The next time I can perform a linked art is when I fill up the next segment of the meter? The status of the meter carries over from battles? So if I executed a linked arte from the first meter segment in battle A, I need to fill up to segment 2 to use another linked arte in battle B? And once it fills up and puts me in that super powered state, the meter resets back to requiring one segment to execute?

TheFatMan

I just started playing this. The last Tales game I've played (and finished) was Tales of Symphonia. I played some of Abyss, but never got to finish it, so I'm not the best judge on how this game is compared to other Tales.

I'm about 4 hours in, and I'm kinda enjoying the gameplay so far. I like that there is basically no world map (not sure if this was a change they made in the series recently) and the fact that after I defeat the monsters in the field they won't respawn till I go out and come back to it, which helps in collecting stuff from the field.

The side-quests are kinda enjoyable (mostly because I'm enjoying the world and the combat system), but I wished they were implemented and tracked in a better way during gameplay.

One thing I hate (maybe because I played this after TLoU) is the way the characters act during cutscenes, or the lack of it. They just seem that they are standing there moving their mouths while the voices track is played without any real movements. Even the skits had better display of emotions than the cut scenes.

There is a sort of quick travel world map later in the game
. But it's nicely done and very helpful. And also the monsters on the field will sometimes re spawn without you leaving the area and re entering. I've noticed this in the larger areas where I was attempting to kill every encounter before leaving.

you know... bosses in tales games have always kinda sucked. AI isn't designed for survival against the slow but strong moves bosses have. Definitely have more fun 1v1ing bosses in tales games...

Wish it was easier to keep aggro of bosses on my controlled guy.

kewlmyc

you know... bosses in tales games have always kinda sucked. AI isn't designed for survival against the slow but strong moves bosses have. Definitely have more fun 1v1ing bosses in tales games...

Wish it was easier to keep aggro of bosses on my controlled guy.
They wouldn't be bad if they didn't break out of combos constantly.

Shahed

Is Milla really popular or something? Or Jude that unlikable? Got the game today, but i haven't started it yet. My brother and two sisters have played it though, and they all decided to go with Milla.

Jude is pretty great. naive dude but with brains, so he's already better than 90% of jrpg protags.

also he's a martial artist with a pretty broken counter move that warps him behind enemies.

milla is fine and i'm sure she gets quite broken gameplay wise. her character is kinda... predictable though.

Midou

Is Milla really popular or something? Or Jude that unlikable? Got the game today, but i haven't started it yet. My brother and two sisters have played it though, and they all decided to go with Milla.

I like Jude a lot more, I hear generally it's smart to go with him first anyways.

I just got to
Milla's village, I can't spell the name right now, after the water fall
, enjoying the game a lot. Even with her quirks, Milla is a decent character, Jude and Alvin are pretty great.

I also love a protag without a damn sword, and punching shit is awesome. Last time that happened was in Legendia though, and that was bad. :p

Shahed

Jude is pretty great. naive dude but with brains, so he's already better than 90% of jrpg protags.

also he's a martial artist with a pretty broken counter move that warps him behind enemies.

milla is fine and i'm sure she gets quite broken gameplay wise. her character is kinda... predictable though.

I asked my oldest sister, and she says she didn't want to play as him because he's a 15 year old medic. She'd rather take the older sword wielder

Midou

I asked my oldest sister, and she says she didn't want to play as him because he's a 15 year old medic. She'd rather take the older sword wielder

Sounds like poor taste, a doctor who punches stuff is far more unique for a JRPG and works really well in this case. Going for the short skirt woman with a sword is boring.

Shahed

Sounds like poor taste, a doctor who punches stuff is far more unique for a JRPG and works really well in this case. Going for the short skirt woman with a sword is boring.

She also passed on Graces after a couple of hours because she hated the cast and childlike, generic opening (her words). She's hopeful on this since she really liked Vesperia

Midou

She also passed on Graces after a couple of hours because she hated the cast and childlike, generic opening (her words). She's hopeful on this since she really liked Vesperia

Good choice on graces at least, though I think the intro part with the kids is probably better than the rest of the game, since it was at least sensical at that point.

demidar

Sounds like a cliche to me.

"Doctor Jude. His prescription: death." [insert cheesy 80s song]

Aytrial

A couple of hours into the game now, I just reached the second village. No major complaints so far as I'm putting my gripes with the battle system down to a lack of understanding the mechanics. I decided to go with Milla as I like to pick female protags when the opportunity presents itself since we don't get many of them.

The only thing I can note so far is why are there so many save points? I reach the end of an area and see a save point, load the next screen, and there's another one in front of me!

God damn my game get delay until 26th which sucks , at least i got dragons crown to hold me over .
If my friends did not want to play this i would have just bought it off PSN but i need to share the love of tales to others .

A couple of hours into the game now, I just reached the second village. No major complaints so far as I'm putting my gripes with the battle system down to a lack of understanding the mechanics. I decided to go with Milla as I like to pick female protags when the opportunity presents itself since we don't get many of them.

The only thing I can note so far is why are there so many save points? I reach the end of an area and see a save point, load the next screen, and there's another one in front of me!

lol, save points are entirely pointless really when you can quick save anywhere and restart battles you lost.

Whats with lore in tales games making my mind go completely blank? Its so goddamn boring.

Top Bottom