• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hold L1 and use the Dpad for the character you want.

So I did my usual spiel and looked at the two new staff rolls (EU and US) and am a little bummed. I heard of the practise to remove involved staff that left the company in the mean time, but this game is the first where I see it in effect. Of the previously 84 Tales Studio people 19 were removed. Additionally its whole special thanks section (accounting for 25 more people) was removed.

Funny thing is Namco Tales Studio is nowhere mentioned anymore, but the one time "SWOT by NTS" (standing for "scenario work organisation team by namco tales studio" or something like that) logo is still included. ^^

And I didn't see any recording studio listed for the English voice overs (the translation part is also incredible short in the US version, even non-existing in the EU version). Did Hometek cut its decade long ties with Cup of Tea Productions and move that in-house? May explain the "lisping" due to worse recording quality.

Okay that first part is very interesting. Is it because the staff has left that dev group or they left the company entirely. If it's the latter, then I wonder if that currently affects the development process of the next mothership in some way. Of course, unless they weren't key people then I guess it wouldn't matter all that much. I also wonder why the ST section was removed. Hm.

The last part stands out to me the most. Didn't John say that it was CoT who was doing Xillia or did I hear that wrong? Regardless, if no recording studio was listed it makes me think that there was something done most likely inhouse but even then, that would probably be cited. All interesting stuff. Thanks for always doing the staff roll stuff!

I asked my oldest sister, and she says she didn't want to play as him because he's a 15 year old medic. She'd rather take the older sword wielder

Ironically Milla is more childish than Jude because she approaches everything from a "why should I do/know about this, my servants take care of this for me" perspective.

I personally wished that since he is a doctor, Jude would have some bone-breaking takedown moves, or could hit pressure points to inflict status effects, but that would probably go against his personality.

A couple of hours into the game now, I just reached the second village. No major complaints so far as I'm putting my gripes with the battle system down to a lack of understanding the mechanics. I decided to go with Milla as I like to pick female protags when the opportunity presents itself since we don't get many of them.

The only thing I can note so far is why are there so many save points? I reach the end of an area and see a save point, load the next screen, and there's another one in front of me!

it's better to have too much save points, than not enough.

There is no reason in particular.
There will be less save point the more you get in the game anyway ( because afterwards you'll have the instant travel system , and you'll be able to get back to any city and save )

kayos90

If there is a quicksave feature why bother having save points? I guess it's so you can have numerous save files since QS only allows one but then it begs the question, why not have multiple QS files. It's not like RoF where the QS file is deleted after being loaded too. Some odd decisions.

RPGCrazied

Dat new battle theme at the Coliseum. So good, is that the new battle music? I haven't fought anything after that boss fight.

If there is a quicksave feature why bother having save points? I guess it's so you can have numerous save files since QS only allows one but then it begs the question, why not have multiple QS files. It's not like RoF where the QS file is deleted after being loaded too. Some odd decisions.

i must admit that i never used the quick save feature much.
Plenty of save points , even if you die , you can retry after going in the menu .. and teh encounter battle rate is balanced .
No reason to quick save really.

kayos90

i must admit that i never used the quick save feature much.
Plenty of save points , even if you die , you can retry after going in the menu .. and teh encounter battle rate is balanced .
No reason to quick save really.

I used QS often especially if I had to leave for somewhere and there were no save points around.

Must have been asked 3000 times, but what's the best character to start the first game ?

In battle you can use either. It's moreso of perspective and you'd probably want to start with Jude.

I just a fought boss that fucking spammed his Mystic Arte several times. I've never experienced anything like this in any other Tales game. What the fuck was that?

Bosses love to spam their overlimit and their mystic artes over and over. The way to avoid that is that you know when the boss gets a red exclamation mark over their head, they are about to use an arcane arte, which if it hits anyone will let them use their mystic arte. Generally this means you run around avoiding them during their overlimit since they love doing that.

The arte evolution system kinda sucks, or is not existent. I am not going to use the beginning artes 400 times, nevertheless 9999 times. At least it is more consistent than the other Tales games.

I believe that it's only up to using it 400 times is where you see the unique changes to the artes themselves. You really don't have to use the arte 9999 times.

Are there many occasions Milla leaves the party on Jude playthrough? While Jude's healing abilities are absolutely fantastic, generally Milla seems like a lot more fun to play as. What about other characters, if I happen to like them, should I not get too attached to their play styles?

Not that much. The main ones are where the route splits. Nah, play whoever you like.

Is there a way to make overlimit last longer? I want to be able to use more chain artes, but I use one and it's already over...

You can get skills that'll length or temporarily stop the overlimit bar from going down when chaining link artes and such.

So when exactly do the mystic artes come in? I'm at the point where
you meet the Auj Oule King (who I wasn't expecting to be the villain from the opening) and there's no sign of them. I remember in Graces you got mystic artes pretty early, and in Abyss you got them around halfway through.

I believe you learn the arcane artes (you can tell since they are bordered and have stars next to their arte name I think) you need to use them at the early part of the 2nd level of the Lillim Orb. To use them, you have to be in overlimit, use the arcane arte and hold O I believe.

kayos90

You get Mystic Artes by unlocking the Arcane Artes which is located on the second LLO on the 2nd bottom right box locked between Phys. Atk. and Health/Armor. If you rush expansion you can get it really fast.

BRPaK-iCAAA6NQm.jpg:large
=D, =D, =D

Any hints/tips for the beginning, i.e. some things that can be missed and never reobtain ala the Monster book in Abyss -__-;

aravuus

I changed my mind again lol, Jude is a shitload of fun to play as when you get the hang of it. Still not very good at backstepping but pulling out crazy martial arts combos is super satisfying!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I did my usual spiel and looked at the two new staff rolls (EU and US) and am a little bummed. I heard of the practise to remove involved staff that left the company in the mean time, but this game is the first where I see it in effect. Of the previously 84 Tales Studio people 19 were removed. Additionally its whole special thanks section (accounting for 25 more people) was removed.

Funny thing is Namco Tales Studio is nowhere mentioned anymore, but the one time "SWOT by NTS" (standing for "scenario work organisation team by namco tales studio" or something like that) logo is still included. ^^

And I didn't see any recording studio listed for the English voice overs (the translation part is also incredible short in the US version, even non-existing in the EU version). Did Hometek cut its decade long ties with Cup of Tea Productions and move that in-house? May explain the "lisping" due to worse recording quality.
Hm! That's really interesting... kind of disappointing, really. I didn't really think they'd remove all of that in this version (dang, that's a lot of small changes for the game already, lol). Do you remember who was removed at all, or if they were someone we'd know?

I can't remember, but isn't Cup of Tea usually credited? I thought I'd read somewhere that Cup of Tea Productions did do the dub work. And now that I'm looking around, it certainly was.

God, the boss theme is SO awful. What the fuck is up with Motoi and these latest Tales entries. I know he must be tired of doing these soundtracks. I guess Namco/Tales Studio or whatever requests him to make tracks like this? God, what happened to theTales of Destiny-era Batista shit.
The standard one is pretty bad. I didn't like it either. The special boss music is better, and the final boss theme is perfectly fine.

Xillia 2 has better boss themes, despite the game using some of Xillia's boss themes again.

kayos90

Hm! That's really interesting... kind of disappointing, really. I didn't really think they'd remove all of that in this version (dang, that's a lot of small changes for the game already, lol). Do you remember who was removed at all, or if they were someone we'd know?

I can't remember, but isn't Cup of Tea usually credited? I thought I'd read somewhere that Cup of Tea Productions did do the dub work. And now that I'm looking around, it certainly was.

It's odd that CoT wouldn't be credited in the staff roll then. Hm. I'm wondering if the company is going through some change or something happened.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's odd that CoT wouldn't be credited in the staff roll then. Hm. I'm wondering if the company is going through some change or something happened.
Also weird, then, that the audio production/mastering is off considering it was done in November of last year.

Hello everyone, my name is Ted Tsung and I am the North American Producer for Tales of Xillia for NAMCO BANDAI Games America. I’m happy to announce that we recently completed our voice recording session for the game, an extremely important part of the localization process. It’s a huge milestone for us to pass and it means that Tales of Xillia is that much closer to its 2013 release.

Eight hours of voice recording across an eight week span, filled with late nights catching up on emails, proofing, and preparation for the following day. It’s a grueling process that’s both physically and mentally taxing. Despite this, it was a fantastic experience, thanks to the support from Cup of Tea, 8-4, and the voice actors. I might be looking through rose-tinted glasses, but you won’t find a better group of people.

Bladenic

Dat new battle theme at the Coliseum. So good, is that the new battle music? I haven't fought anything after that boss fight.

Nope :( just a special theme for that fight so far. I liked it. I actually like the regular boss theme too though haha. And the boss theme of the final boss of Chapter 1 was ace.

I listened to the OST with the LE. Jude and Milla's themes are really good IMO.

Anyway how come all the JP players hated Jude? I'm only on the way to the next city after Xian Du but he's been great so far, WAY better than Assbel and I never recall hearing negative impressions about Asbel before the NA release of Graces.

you gotta equip skills?

how you do that?

also.. are there weapon drops from chests? don't think i've found any... just been using the ones i bought from stores.

J4g3r

Anyone else (In the UK) having problems with the trophies not being added to your list?

I can't find them anywhere in my list.

kayos90

Also weird, then, that the audio production/mastering is off considering it was done in November of last year.

Does Ted work at CoT? That intro made it sound like he works at NB. If so, this might've been done in-house with cooperation and consultation stuff with CoT. You never know.

the fuck?

i dont remember any of those... needa check when i get home from work lol. i recall equipping artes and what not... just thought those skills from the spider web were passive.

fuck.

Aytrial

the fuck?

i dont remember any of those... needa check when i get home from work lol. i recall equipping artes and what not... just thought those skills from the spider web were passive.

fuck.

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't notice any particular abilities not taking effect. Especially the one where your HP and TP get restored on leveling up.

Anyway, taking a break for night from Xillia. I managed to reach
Nia Khera
and asplode
the Spirits' summoning stones.
I completely cringed when
Ivar
showed up as he's my most hated character trope: the clingy jealous servant guy with an unrequited crush. Hate, hate, hate these types of guys.

Bladenic

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't notice any particular abilities not taking effect. Especially the one where your HP and TP get restored on leveling up.

Anyway, taking a break for night from Xillia. I managed to reach
Nia Khera
and asplode
the Spirits' summoning stones.
I completely cringed when
Ivar
showed up as he's my most hated character trope: the clingy jealous servant guy with an unrequited crush. Hate, hate, hate these types of guys.

Ivar is annoying but I think they meant for him to be that way. I mean even Milla says he's annoying.

I'm more surprised by the fact that he never thought to bother clicking on the Skills menu...

kewlmyc

I'm playing the Jude side so I want to know *minor Chapter 1 spoiler*
how does Milla's side handle her being crippled for a small part of the game? Is it all cutscene or what?

I'm playing the Jude side so I want to know *minor Chapter 1 spoiler*
how does Milla's side handle her being crippled for a small part of the game? Is it all cutscene or what?

Same thing. You just play as Jude as he makes his way back home.

TraBuch

Banned
I've been looking for a Poison Stinger for a subquest for an hour now.

RANDOM SPAWN BAGS CAN SUCK IT

Faster if you just go kill some hornet monsters.

Also, the guy yelling "Mutton! Fresh mutton!" In every single town is really starting to annoy the shit out of me.

Jinjo

So about Milla's spirit-shifting, I unlocked a skill that should reduce TP costs of spirit shifted arts to 0. However whenever I spirit-shift (or quick-cast) my artes still consume TP, is there something I'm not getting or is this skill bugged? The charged artes also still consume TP, was there some extra TP cost in spirit shifting artes before that is now removed or is it only partly reduced? I don't get it. I got some upgraded artes that obviously consume more TP than the the lower versions, but I'm not going to slot them if spirit-shifting costs are also increased. Does the skill maybe give all spirit shifted arts a (lower) base cost instead of the normal arte cost? Can anyone explain how this works?

chrono01

Well that was an interesting experience.

For those that don't know I, by mistake, received two Collector's Edition. I was supposed to cancel my Gamestop.com pre-order after securing an order from EBGames.ca [since shipping within Canada is much easier], but I completely forgot and found out just after it was packaged for shipment. Since cancelling it then wasn't possible, I had no choice but to return it to a nearby store when I received it for a refund [accompanied by the receipt, of course].

Well upon returning it today, the cashier at EBGames seemed thrilled. His eyes widened when he saw the box and he repeatedly asked if I was sure in the return of it, considering how rare/hard to come by the Collector's Edition is. However, upon seeing the second packing slip for my other order [I had forgotten to throw it out] he saw that I had ordered two copies. It was explained that I am basically a collector myself, so I know the value. I don't enjoy selling items online, especially at a profit since I'd rather those that want items like this to be able to purchase it at retail cost, so I wanted to simply return it and get what I paid back. When given my debit card for a refund, he was adamant...adamant to give me cash. Apparently there wasn't enough in the register, so he got another girl working there to get the correct amount. I'm almost starting to think that he purchased it for himself or something considering the limited nature of the edition.

Are they really that difficult to find? I see editions listed for around $150-$160 on Ebay, but you can't really gauge the value on that. Either way I'm happy with mine and hope some "Tales of..." fan is made very happy for being able to find my returned CE in-store. That is, if the employee working there didn't take it for himself. :)

Stuart444

Anyone else (In the UK) having problems with the trophies not being added to your list?

I can't find them anywhere in my list.

It's on Sonys end, if you go offline (sign out), you'll see the trophy list. You only don't see it if you sync the trophies (which you must do when you're signed in)

SaintZ

I just lost like 2 hours because there was a power outage at my house and I hadn't saved the game in a while :(

Rowen had already joined my party and I had done a bunch of side quest FML.

chrono01

I just lost like 2 hours because there was a power outage at my house and I hadn't saved the game in a while :(

Look at it this way.

You'll get to spend even more time with this incredible game now! :)

chrono01

while im enjoying it, I think bamco is still a longs way off before being able to make an 'incredible' tales game lol.
Perhaps "incredible" might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it!

Maybe it's because I haven't played a Tales of... game in a long while. It kind of makes you appreciate it more [at least, it does for me].

SaintZ

Look at it this way.

You'll get to spend even more time with this incredible game now! :)
That's a nice way to put it lol

Not a fan of doing the same stuff again after I just completed it heh, I guess I'll just take a break and return to the game later :|

Reveirg

I lost 2 hours yesterday because I thought the "Retry Battle" applied to every battle in the game, turns out it's only for boss battles ;_;.

At least things go faster when you can skip cutscenes/skits.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
while im enjoying it, I think bamco is still a longs way off before being able to make an 'incredible' tales game lol.
Haha. A few of us felt like fans in NA/EU will like the game more than we did because of the game's emphasis on plot and characterization and it turned out that we were right. Jude's voice isn't as high-pitched and perhaps some of his lines may have been revised to make him seem less naive and more likeable, which is a good thing because he did little things that added up for me in terms of dragging the character down completely. Either way, it was obvious to me that a lot of people would like the game given the reception of Graces f's narrative and characters. And some people might enjoy the more streamlined structure & design, and streamlined systems that Xillia includes.

With that said, I did enjoy it, and I ended up enjoying my second plat run a little more since I knew how to break the game by that point. If I didn't like the game, I wouldn't have played it four times. But it does so much bad in terms of some aspects of its game design that I can't help but to constructively criticize it that way. Emphasis on constructively criticize. I don't do this because I want the series to do poorly in the west or some weird conspiracy nonsense like that which apparently some people believe. I do this because I want a better game, and because I have played better in the past in the series. No game is perfect. If there's something bad about game in terms of design or mechanics, hell yes, I'll point it out and I'll probably rip it apart depending on how bad it is. This isn't exclusive to Tales; I do it with many games like Rhythm Thief, Sonic Generations, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Time & Eternity, Ni No Kuni, etc. I'm not going to sugarcoat my criticisms at all because I feel like being blunt will communicate what I think about a game in the end. I don't like overselling a game at all and lying to myself and to other people about whether or not certain aspects of a game are good when I really thought they weren't.

There are many different opinions out there, regardless, so people shouldn't take stock in what just one or two people say about a game. There are many people, like Shouta, R_thanatos, Disgaeamad, Jucksalbe, Jijidasu, Rhapsody, etc. who thought the game was really good when they'd played the Japanese version despite some stuff they didn't like about it.

As I said before, there are quite a few iffy things that the game does design-wise that doesn't jive well with me and lowered my opinion of the game in general. It certainly has the potential to jive well with others, and it certainly has for a lot of people as evidenced in this thread... and that's perfectly okay. There are simply different things that different people look for in a video game. I typically don't look for story or characters when I play a video game. I look for systems, good map design, general good game design, cohesion, etc. whenever I play a game. I sometimes have a tendency to overanalyze various aspects, but that's the way I've always been. Other people may not be like that, and that's fine.

Just play the game yourself and stick to whatever you think a good game is. If ya like it, that's fine. If ya don't, ya don't. If you find flaws but still like it, that's fine, too.

Top Bottom