• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Sallokin

I'm sure it's been mentioned but the (minor location spoiler)
Lord's Manor in Sharilton
is just a reskin of the Lhant manor from Graces lol.

Also laughed out loud during the skit that discusses
The Aesthetics of Being a Catcher
What is Milla reading!

Alucrid

Banned
So are you guys using more or less the same character in battle? I think I been using Milla for the majority of my playthrough. I don't really dig using Jude unless I have to. Alvin is fun to use, raw power.

Eh, that's my problem with these games. I end up getting so used to one character playing as any others feels weird. I was Yuri all the time except for farming with Rita in Vesperia. Here I fear I'll be Jude forever as well...

MilkBeard

Just beat the big
Butterfly/insect boss made of lesser spirits

Playing on Moderate I was able to beat it pretty easily first try. At first, I thought I was getting my ass handed to me, and all characters died except one, but it's very easy to revive party members in Xillia, especially when auto item is turned on. After that, I understood the process and kicked it's ass.

Having the party switch mechanic during battle is great, and could add depth to the battle system. It's something I really enjoyed in Star Ocean 4. Really, you only need it during bosses or when your ass is getting handed to you. I hope there are enough situations ahead that I will need to utilize it. Maybe I'll switch the difficulty up to Hard if the bosses don't get tougher from here on out.

Really enjoying the game. It has good flow, good character dialogue (for the most part...some things are just CHEESY). The skits are nice as well because they show you whether they are connected to a sub-event or are just simply conversations. I really like that, and the fact that if you go back to old towns there might be a new event waiting for you. But that's one of the beauties of modern Tales games.

I have to agree though with the people who say that the battle system isn't quite up to Graces level of excellence. However, it does have potential to become great with linking and character switching. I've yet to get Mystic Artes as well, so we will see.

MilkBeard

Not really, no. It just has a similar floorplan style. Other than that, the style is completely different looking. There are also lots of doors you can't go into.

Hellix

Eh, that's my problem with these games. I end up getting so used to one character playing as any others feels weird. I was Yuri all the time except for farming with Rita in Vesperia. Here I fear I'll be Jude forever as well...

There are so many artes in this game that my head is spinning when I switch to another character and try to memorize what directional input I set them at, then combine that with learning the link chains with the other members.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Having played about... 7 hours-ish of the game. Very much enjoying. Though I have a wild theory the game originally began life on the Wii and was moved to the PS3 when Graces f sold better there.

Game also seems a tad easy so far, which just means now it'll pummel me into the ground for saying that. XD

FSLink

Banned
There are so many artes in this game that my head is spinning when I switch to another character and try to memorize what directional input I set them at, then combine that with learning the link chains with the other members.

It gets worse when you have Artes Sphere, haha.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Probably the one time in a JRPG more than any other that I wished I could just fight anyone when I wished.

He doesn't keep showing up repeatedly in the game, does he? Or does he at least mellow out?

SPOILER
He does show up multiple times, as annoying as ever, but you do get to fight him. One of the most satisfying battles I've done in an RPG.

ED Cantu

I have a question, how many animated cutscenes are in this game? I ask because so far aside from the intro, I haven't seen any other animated video in the game.

Young Magus

The song's pretty nice. Not what I expected from Tales.

Absolutely. Really like it. Also loved the jazzy tune of the ship dungeon.

Triglav, Kresnik...they's been alot of Slavic influence in RPGs the wolrd over lately. It's neat.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this is a neat addition to the OST.
I just been past the world map and I'm now at the Fortress, so it seems to be a world theme. I like it and if anything, it helps to address how different the more modern, industrial world of Elympios is to the typical, high fantasy world of reize maxia.

Probably the one time in a JRPG more than any other that I wished I could just fight anyone when I wished.

He doesn't keep showing up repeatedly in the game, does he? Or does he at least mellow out?

All things point to the game being 10 hours longer because of his antics which I'm not cool with.

Btw where are the mystic artes located on the orb thing?

Eusis

SPOILER
He does show up multiple times, as annoying as ever, but you do get to fight him. One of the most satisfying battles I've done in an RPG.
Read to
fight him and now I am content
. Prior post worries me though.

All things point to the game being 10 hours longer because of his antics which I'm not cool with.

The mystic artes,
just show up after you get your first arcane arte on the orb board. It's usually around the last few rows on your first orb board, or the first few rows on the second orb board.

Kaizer

Banned
Have played mostly as Jude and Alvin so far, tried Milla at the beginning and was sorta meh on her. Will probably check out Rowan at some point, as he just joined my party.

Phenomic

So I figured out that my equipment is really really under leveled for the area I'm in and that's why I'm struggling so much with this game! Hurray o/

Now the only problem is leveling it up really far without spending everything in a single item category?

How does the bonus switch? Is it random? On a timer? does it switch when you cross various points in the game? Is there a good way to get it to switch so I can get my stuff up to par and start having fun again? I'd like to use materials really on 3 times multipliers, but maybe I just shouldn't worry about that as much.

Bladenic

They are not specifically unlocked, you unlock an arcane Arte which when used in Overlimit and holding X will trigger the MA. These artes are unlocked on the second level of the Lilium Orb.

As for which characters I've used, I use Jude pretty much exclusively for boss fights unless I want maybe a quick switch to use another character's MA. In regular battles I've used everyone a good bit except Elize.

MilkBeard

So I figured out that my equipment is really really under leveled for the area I'm in and that's why I'm struggling so much with this game! Hurray o/

Now the only problem is leveling it up really far without spending everything in a single item category?

How does the bonus switch? Is it random? On a timer? does it switch when you cross various points in the game? Is there a good way to get it to switch so I can get my stuff up to par and start having fun again? I'd like to use materials really on 3 times multipliers, but maybe I just shouldn't worry about that as much.

Some people have said that it is random. Also, using it on x2 multipliers is fine. Especially if you haven't upgraded the shops for a while, you might want to just do it so you can get the better equipment. You can always go back into dungeons and collect more loot. There's not really a limit on what you can collect except for rare stuff.

jiggle

but maybe I just shouldn't worry about that as much.

don't worry about using up all you materials
they are all pretty inconsequential once you can start farming ores in xugat marshland

MilkBeard

Am I the only one who likes Ivar and feels for him later in the game?

You're the only one.

Well, to be fair, I'm still on chapter 1 (I think) so perhaps he gets better. But so far, he's been nothing but a douche. I see what the writers were trying to do with his character, but it just comes off so hammy.

Bladenic

For the Ivar haters... (Not really big but still spoilers in Xillia 2)
He's still a pain in the ass in Xillia 2. In fact by the end I REALLY wanted ANYONE to actually kill him. Or Yuri to pop out of nowhere and off him.

Finalow

I read that I'm not the only one. trophies are "stuck" in offline mode, at least for eu players.
what's this? They aren't on sony servers yet or something?

9BR

Neo Member
Got the CE yesterday and played for about 2 hours. Liking all the main characters so far.

The statue looks better than I thought too!
kv6IivF.png

Rhapsody

Banned
Chapter 2 now. Loving the battle music.
Got the CE yesterday and played for about 2 hours. Liking all the main characters so far.

The statue looks better than I thought too!
Hm, it does look better in that pic compared to the regular one advertising it.

Rpgmonkey

Oh wow. It's like the catacombs in Graces reusing that cave from Vesperia, lol.

The cycle of laziness/cheapness must be continued with the next game using a reskin of something foom Xillia 1/2.

Bladenic

The cycle of laziness/cheapness must be continued with the next game using a reskin of something foom Xillia 1/2.

OMG. I always had a weird case of déjà vu when going through those catacombs. Now I know why.

FSLink

Banned

Nah I'm sure for the next one they'll have all new maps.

But keep the same fields. lol

Soriku

Naw man, it's intentional. All the games are actually connected, but they're really subtle about it.

shyamalantwist.jpg

Is there a list somewhere of which artes can be chained in over-limit mode with which link partners?

I've figured out some of them, but a comprehensive list would be nice.

Rhapsody

Banned

Wait, which caves in Vesperia? I'm going to have to do another playthrough of Vesperia sometime.

Top Bottom