• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Phenomic

I'm by no means an expert in this game so I'll pass the brunt of your question to others but am I reading this right? You are saving up some of your Lillium Orb points? Why? Having extra on hand does nothing for you other than purposely neutering yourself.

I don't know. I just always keep some points on hand when I play games with leveling systems like this. In case I progress far enough and I want something I can immediately spend the excess to get the next skill or stat I really want above all the others.

It's not exactly 100% logical I guess and I probably save too many, but honestly unless the orb system makes such a crazy difference to the point where 10 to 20 points makes or breaks you stats/survival then I'm a complete moron and I've missed the point of the game.

Also, I'm curious how much other people level up their vendors and how quickly. I definitely find myself not using and leveling them up all that much. Sure I've bought some armors and weapons, but it definitely feels like I don't get enough upgrades. Nor do I think it's a good idea to be wasting items without a 3 times multiplier on the vendor leveling.

Cheska

You know this is going to be a vague question, but I feel like never before I'm struggling so much on a Tales game to the point where I don't even want to continue playing it.

The AI seems so horrifically bad that no matter what I do they just ignore my commands and do whatever they'd like. I've had them literally go into a corner linked before and sit there doing nothing.

Every single boss I fight I die for at least 45 minutes until I figure out some cheap tactic to beat them.

Maybe I just don't know how to control mobs or I don't know what the deal is. I'm using MOST of my orb points, even though I do like to stock some on hand. I could blow the 20 I have left on each character, but I'm not convinced this is the problem. I fight mobs and I don't think I'm horrendously under leveled and I'm not even playing on a hard difficulty.

I saw someone mention how easy this game is earlier. I just feel like I'm doing it wrong and I have no clue where to begin to ask what that is. Someone read my mind and magically find out how to make me enjoy this game, because I don't want to hate it.

Are you activating the skills? Definitely use up your Orb points and then maximize your skill usage from that menu.

Sorian

Banned
I don't know. I just always keep some points on hand when I play games with leveling systems like this. In case I progress far enough and I want something I can immediately spend the excess to get the next skill or stat I really want above all the others.

It's not exactly 100% logical I guess and I probably save too many, but honestly unless the orb system makes such a crazy difference to the point where 10 to 20 points makes or breaks you stats/survival then I'm a complete moron and I've missed the point of the game.

It certainly doesn't break the game at all but its like keeping yourself 3-5 levels less than you actually are. The orb system is so uneeded in this game that you could actually just always set it to auto-level and the game will never trip you up. I, personally, choose my own stat distribution but I'm weird about things like that and try to prioritize game breaking stats.

In summary though, this isn't a sphere grid or anything like that. At the end of the day, your choices barely matter :p

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wow. I feel fucking stupid. I totally forgot that the Arte needed to pull of Scarlet Fang requires you to finish this one stupid sidequest. Fuck me. =/

FSLink

Banned

Yeah you don't get stat boosts from level ups. Not spending any points on the Lilium Orb is almost like not leveling at all.
There is no point of saving points.

ohlawd

damn, now I get the OT title.

I wonder if there's more skits with bazongas. I would like to embark on a journey to embrace my inner manhood alongside Jude.

Eusis

It certainly doesn't break the game at all but its like keeping yourself 3-5 levels less than you actually are. The orb system is so uneeded in this game that you could actually just always set it to auto-level and the game will never trip you up. I, personally, choose my own stat distribution but I'm weird about things like that and try to prioritize game breaking stats.

In summary though, this isn't a sphere grid or anything like that. At the end of the day, your choices barely matter :p
Yeah, after seeing everyone talk about how it's just the illusion of choice (and not even a particularly interesting one, albeit more convincing than FFXIII's was even if that actually did offer some tangible freedom once multiple paradigms were accessible) I just auto level. Not like I'll notice a difference most of the time anyway.

I did forget about Skills though, but I just set those on auto balanced until a time comes when I may really need a special setup, but that probably won't be until the end game if that. And I do need to remind myself to check up on artes and set new ones.

ohlawd

Why the hell isn't Drissel a playable character? I like her model/characetr a lot more than I like Milla, Elize, or Leia.

I'm not close to being halfway so things might change but I share the same sentiments.

She's sexy as fuck. She should have been playable.

Driselle and Leia are my true waifus.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Guess I hit the "Changeup" that I assume ends Chapter 2 (I go slow with my RPGs, usually hitting everything before I progress the story).

Seems rather interesting, this "shift" in perception of the world.

Except you won't, at least not in this game. Since you always need 3/6 skills to expand saving points is pointless as you would gain access to that skill at the same level regardless if it's what you prioritize when the LO expands.

Videoneon

I'm enjoying the game so far. The characters are pretty compelling, the story is nothing to write home about but it's got me interested for sure. Systems-wise it's inferior to Graces, no two ways about it. I'm getting a bit tired of big fields and easy dungeons with just climbing, falling, and crawling. Where are the puzzles? Do enjoy the music and visually it's pretty nice (Kijara Seafalls FTW). Only visual thing I don't like is the in-game render of Milla's hair, it looks gross while in art it looks awesome.

I've definitely warmed up to Alvin's voice. When I first heard him I was pretty critical, but I'm on board now. I actually quite like Elize's voice, it just comes on ever so slightly stronger/louder than I expect considering she doesn't seem like a loud character. Milla...I've given it long enough, it's a good effort but ultimately flat and somehow...out of place. I don't buy the whole "she sounds like a man" thing, one of the lamer criticisms.

My weakness is osananajimi with crushes.

My heart can't take this.

The best. Leia is a goddess. Here's to Graces f-style childhood friend marriage end, minus the sloppy handling of it.

Synless

What level do I need to be to comfortably beat the game? Right now I am lvl. 40 in some desert city looking for wyrverns.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
All of my characters are rocking different kinds of shades. Love it!

I had Rowen as Ocelot for a loooong time, but eventually the black feather trader gave me a hat and hat hair style. Turns his ponytail into a braided poneytail. Added some altered pig tails and a iron headband, looks kinda fierce.

Holmes

What level do I need to be to comfortably beat the game? Right now I am lvl. 40 in some desert city looking for wyrverns.
You're fine, and you're not near the end of the game. Nearing the end of part 2 though. I'm at the end of part 3 and everyone is at level 45, and I have no trouble at all. Using chain link artes that bosses are weak to takes a big chunk of their health away, especially if you can chain four artes or more.

so beat the boar boss....

i can see why people hate handmaiden-kun now.

so am I in ch2 yet? battle music changed... reached xiandu. don't recall any trophie popping up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is there anything good about this junk? "It won't brick your system!"
It's hilarious you say that... Ni no Kuni bricked my PS3 and I had a lot of words to say about that game, too! I didn't even talk about how Tokitowa went like 10-15 fps for no reason.

Speaking of framerate, I don't recall Orda Palace having any sort of noticeable framerate hitches...

Hellix

Leia and Alvin are pretty cool. I missed that kind of quality light character depth in my Tales games.

1370407863457lqkwe.gif

FSLink

Banned
It's hilarious you say that... Ni no Kuni bricked my PS3 and I had a lot of words to say about that game, too! I didn't even talk about how Tokitowa went like 10-15 fps for no reason.

Speaking of framerate, I don't recall Orda Palace having any sort of noticeable framerate hitches...

How the hell?

Also I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but using Aqua Sweep in the English version causes the game to lag. I mean it did in the Japanese version with more enemies on screen, but it feels like the framerate drops with less stuff on the screen.

*high five gif*

Leia is way too awesome.

jiggle

only 4 costumes
how cheap
how many does xillia 2 have?
expecting 0 in-disc-costumes in tales of citrus now

story
it's kinda getting on my nerve how stupidly trusting everyone in the party is

Rhapsody

Banned
Currently trying to think of a Tales now where there was a lot of distrust from the start.

Not counting Hubert lol. He trusted no one for quite awhile.

Top Bottom