• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

It's not the ports where the ctrl+C, ctrl+V is blatant to me, it's some of the dungeons.

1370407863457lqkwe.gif

Aaaaaaaaaaaand saved.

I think I have a Milla fetish.....

If you're going to find yourself coming to like a character, she's not a bad choice. :D

Jinjo

I think I have a Milla fetish.....

Dat maid outfit.

Damn, am I sucked into this game. Played a solid 6-8 hours or something today, which is rare for me with a jrpg. I haven't been hooked to a jrpg this much since Symphonia. Liking this one more than Vesperia for some reason. The battle system is really good and the fast travel and event list make sidequesting less of a drag and actually fun, unlike Vesperia. Definitely warmed up to Milla's voice too. And part 2 is supposed to be even better? Damn.

Spoiler about 18 hours in, near end of chapter 2 I think:
Just about to catch a ride on the wyverns, looking forward to where the story is going. I don't know what is the deal with Teepo though, he lost his booster thus turning into a machine or something, a few hours later, without reason, he seems relatively back to his old normal self to me? Did I miss something?

Also, gimme me more dlc costumes namco, now!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's not the ports where the ctrl+C, ctrl+V is blatant to me, it's some of the dungeons.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand saved.

If you're going to find yourself coming to like a character, she's not a bad choice. :D

Milla is the Tales equivalent of Lightning. Except Milla doesn't suck. LOL.

Panda Rin

I'm still pretty early on, but I'm digging the combat system. The cast is way better than in Graces. Although, I don't think it will be beat Vesperia's.

also, can anyone here tell me how far I am percentage-wise? I'm still early.
I just got Elize

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't believe they hired a voice actor with a lisp for Milla.

It really bugs me, and it's pretty unprofessional on their part. I wish there was a Japanese voice option.

Jinjo

Damn dude in the background in every city needs to stop shouting about his goddamn fresh mushrooms every second. Driving me insane.

TheGrue

I can't believe they hired a voice actor with a lisp for Milla.

It really bugs me, and it's pretty unprofessional on their part. I wish there was a Japanese voice option.

I don't even notice it and even if I did, I'd be okay because, guess what, some people have speech impediments. Sorry not everyone can be part of your perfect annunciation master race. :p

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, what the hell is lisp? I keep hearing the complain but I don't know what it is and I hear nothing wrong with Millia's voice except for that fact that she's under-played. (Then again, I'm no native English speaker.)

Rpgmonkey

only 4 costumes
how cheap
how many does xillia 2 have?
expecting 0 in-disc-costumes in tales of citrus now

-21 costumes that are totally different (either unique costumes or their Xillia 1 outfits)
-32 costumes with relatively minor changes (palette swaps or their Xillia 2 outfits without jackets)
-19 special costumes that let you change someone's character model into one of the various NPCs

jiggle

-21 costumes that are totally different (either unique costumes or their Xillia 1 outfits)
-32 costumes with relatively minor changes (palette swaps or their Xillia 2 outfits without jackets)
-19 special costumes that let you change someone's character model into one of the various NPCs

all in disc or includes dlc?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Okay, what the hell is lisp? I keep hearing the complain but I don't know what it is and I hear nothing wrong with Millia's voice except for that fact that she's under-played. (Then again, I'm no native English speaker.)

The actor can't pronounce the "s" sound properly. It sounds like "th".

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't even notice it and even if I did, I'd be okay because, guess what, some people have speech impediments. Sorry not everyone can be part of your perfect annunciation master race. :p

If your job is being a voice actor, I imagine having a lisp is a pretty negative trait.

Apparently not when you audition for Namco, though.

Young Magus

I gotta say
Trigleph's
town theme is so......relaxing. Never thought I'd expect a
Lounge Jazz-like
Town theme in a Tales game.

TheGrue

If your job is being a voice actor, I imagine having a lisp is a pretty negative trait.

Apparently not when you audition for Namco, though.

I know this is a preferential thing, but I'd actually like entertainment more if there was more diversity in voice acting. I don't want everyone sounding like Nolan North and Troy Baker. Give me a dude with a lisp, a guy with a thick Boston accent, or even someone sat pronounces their Rs as Ws. Makes it more interesting, just like real life.

Also, you're acting like she's Sylvester the Cat, when it's pretty faint and I'm not convinced it's not bad recording equipment instead of a lisp.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Currently trying to think of a Tales now where there was a lot of distrust from the start.

Not counting Hubert lol. He trusted no one for quite awhile.

Hubert wasn't really distrustful. He just seemed like it compared to the overly trusting Asbel and Cheria.

Other than that... Yuri? He didn't really trust people blindly... but everyone who surrounded him did, so....

In Abyss, everyone (except Luke) was distrustful and secretive. But since they were all the mole, they all pretended to be trusting. So it ended up the same anyway.

And Symphonia, of course, still wins as both the most trusting and stupid cast, hence why that game had a record high # of betrayals lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
I gotta say
Trigleph's
town theme is so......relaxing. Never thought I'd expect a
Lounge Jazz-like
Town theme in a Tales game.
The song's pretty nice. Not what I expected from Tales.
Hubert wasn't really distrustful. He just seemed like it compared to the overly trusting Asbel and Cheria.

Oh, I thought you meant distrust within the cast. Since Hubert didn't trust Malik and especially Pascal for awhile iirc.

Edit: Xillia spoilers after the desert fortress
I hate how in Milla's story, it'll just suddenly say "(Cline's dead)" after the Gandala Fortress part. Could've been done better.

Pikma

Banned
Been watching some media and well, I haven't played a Tales before, despite owning TotA on the 3DS, but fuck it, I'll bite.

Kusagari

I'm 8 hours in, I just beat
Jiao who came to get Elize back
, and it feels like I've done nothing so far but run back and forth between barren areas full of easy monsters.

At least the cast is awesome so far. Definitely better than Graces.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I haven't finished Project X Zone yet, at the same time I'm playing this and I'm getting Dream Team tomorrow.

WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE RPGS!?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh, I thought you meant distrust within the cast. Since Hubert didn't trust Malik and especially Pascal for awhile iirc.

Yeah, Hubert's logic "personality quirk" made him (wisely) question the two new party members (even if he doesn't question Sophie or anyone else). So he's slightly distrustful, mostly because he knows Asbel is an idiot who'll trust everyone. A lot of the Abyss cast was the same way.

But everyone in a party based RPG pretty much HAS to be overly trusting, otherwise there would be no party! The exception being games that have characters with pre-existing histories from the outset, thus validating the trust (Ex. The Last Story).

kayos90

Anyone remember all the Tomes and character exclusive items you can get? I totally forgot. It's been a while.

Okamid3n

Wow was "chapter 1" long. What level were you guys when you finished chapter 1, if you can remember? What about your shops?

I don't find the game that easy. I'm playing on moderate because I find hard a little too hard. I finished chapter 1 at level
for both my weapon/armor shops and character levels.

I always find it tricky when people say something is too easy in a RPG because I can't tell if I'm just doing badly and should learn to play better or if people are grinding.

Also, about Milla's "lisp", I don't see how such a thing is unprofessional in ANY way. Not everyone has to sound the same and there's nothing wrong with a slight lisp.

I don't think I'm at the end of chapter 1, at least no trophies popped yet but Christ almighty I actually really like this cast. Especially compared to Graces and the utter inanity of Asbel and Cheria.

Holmes

Man, I really don't like
Muzet
. Maybe it's because I'm playing Milla's story and she just popped out of nowhere and everyone is ok with it. But she's also weird. Her hair seems totally two dimensional.

Wow was "chapter 1" long. What level were you guys when you finished chapter 1, if you can remember? What about your shops?

I don't find the game that easy. I'm playing on moderate because I find hard a little too hard. I finished chapter 1 at level
for both my weapon/armor shops and character levels.

I always find it tricky when people say something is too easy in a RPG because I can't tell if I'm just doing badly and should learn to play better or if people are grinding.

Also, about Milla's "lisp", I don't see how such a thing is unprofessional in ANY way. Not everyone has to sound the same and there's nothing wrong with a slight lisp.
I honestly don't care about the lisp or Milla's voice anymore.

But to be honest, it is slightly disappointing and a little unprofessional because it's Namco-Bandai. This isn't some small publisher like Ignition. Even Atlus' games and NIS with smaller budgets get great voice acting. Dragons Crown has really good VA.

Whether the lisp is unintentional because of bad audio recording or not isn't the issue. It's that Namco-Bandai should've recognized the bad recording and fixed it before release.

Fans notice it and talk about it on forums and that shouldn't happen. They should be talking about how good the game is and praising the localization. It makes things look bad and that's unfortunate.

So I guess I'm pretty far in the game since I'm at a part when I'm about to get
an airship

For now I'm pretty mad at the news I've just heard. Hearing that
maxwell created the world really kinda made me mad for some reason. I just find it very... I really don't know how to put it... stupid. It's just that out of all things you could have made Maxwell special for you choose, making it create the world? I hope something happens fast to make me like the story because all of it was pretty good until I heard this conversation and started facepalming.

Also I finally got a chance to watch the opening scene for this game since i was doing something while I was loading it up. The song is really great, and the animation looks awesome. They really outdid themselves with it.

FSLink

Banned
Haven't listened to it much during the Japanese release since I played on Milla's side... but I really like Jude's 2nd battle theme. Also I had a much easier time against the mines boss this time around since I knew what to expect, haha.
Just guard when he comes up, and abuse Jude's skill that allows him to lie down and recover HP/TP if you do get hit.

I just beat Chapter 1 and I was Lv25 playing on Hard. Haven't done any grinding outside of just playing normally and abusing the hell out of Rice and Beef Bowls.

Hellix

So are you guys using more or less the same character in battle? I think I been using Milla for the majority of my playthrough. I don't really dig using Jude unless I have to. Alvin is fun to use, raw power.

kayos90

Huh. I'm discovering some side quests that I never encountered in the JP one. Figures considering I never Platinumed it.

FSLink

Banned
So are you guys using more or less the same character in battle? I think I been using Milla for the majority of my playthrough. I don't really dig using Jude unless I have to. Alvin is fun to use, raw power.

I played as Milla for my JPN playthrough, with Leia swapping in occasionally and Jude for late game. I've used all the characters of course but those are my primaries.
Right now I'm just using Jude and Leia. Started using Milla again and I remembered how fun she is once she gets certain skills + artes.

Top Bottom