• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

3Kaze

About this particular point, there is a battle action that lets you hold the arte button to transfer into a higher level arte, which helps with the arte slots. It is a bit odd that they don't seem to have anything like the artes ball in the game though.
It's also odd they wasted the right stick on orders.

I don't know, I don't really remember any of the 3d Tales games ever being super polished outside ridiculous budget Vesperia and 30fps is the norm for 3d Tales (or less) outside of battle, so it seems pretty much what I expect from Tales graphically.

And I don't understand everyone's beef with the camera. So many people are raging on the camera but I've never had a problem with it on the field and in battle it's only a problem every once and a while indoor or small areas where it glitches and you can't see your character. That's happened to me like 5 battles out of 250 or something so far, so it's really not that big of a deal. When I think shit camera I think Ninja Gaiden or something. Not this game.

I'm mostly talking about the framerate in battles, it's the worst in the series so far. The 3D games never looked impressive but had at least fine IQ until Xillia, where they went for a more realistic direction with better proportioned models, bigger and more detailed fields with 3D camera. Zestiria aimed for bigger, and the IQ took another hit. The thing they got right is the non-transition between battles, cutscenes, exploration.

As for the camera, well, let's say I'm somehow always fighting in small areas so it really bothers me :p

Anyone else imported from Amiami and haven't received their package? I still haven't received mine and the status hasn't updated for 8 days now. Packages usually arrive in 3-4 days for me via EMS so this is a first...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So far I'm having a blast with Zestiria. Just got to the
war between Lowlance and Highland
. For heads up I've played the game 12 hours. Plotwise the game is very different and I'm totally fine with that. Sorey is an excellent protagonist and while he is naive, he also has great social sense. I think this really comes to life during this particular section I'm in when he's
rescuing Lucas
. I really like the party dynamic. Edna is fucking awesome. As for the part that everyone was displeased about, I thought it was handled rather well. It wasn't really abrupt or anything and it felt like the role was always meant to serve as a service to the kingdom and land rather than journeying to save the war.
I'm talking about Alisha leaving.

The soundtrack is pretty good for the most part and the Sakuraba stuff isn't half bad. The sound design is fair for the most part and I'm not offended by the score so it's alright with me.

What totally rubs me the wrong way is how the game looks and how the battles play. The limitation of 4 artes is dumb as shit. The battles running at 30fps is dumb as shit. The narrative totally limiting you from having a full party is also dumb as shit. This game feels extremely gimped in so many ways I can't even articulate the numerous battle related problems the game has. The two I mentioned earlier are some examples. Here is a few more. Bosses are extremely overpowered because the game assumes that you'll be able to facetank hits due to Kamui. The weakness system is absolute bullshit. The artes variety is not good at all. The Blast Gauge has no great usage. Kamui is either extremely overpowered or useless as shit.

On another note though, I'm totally fine with the auxiliary systems of the game unlike other people. I actually find it totally neat because there is the idea of risk and reward. You can choose to keep investing in your equipment by upgrading or you can use the skills that are attached to the equipment to deck out your character. There's a good balance for the most part and I don't have problem with the gearing system in the game. The actual Skills in the menu though... There isn't a variety and it's party-wide so that's pretty dumb.

I'll post more impressions later but I figure I made this post since I haven't posted anything substantial yet.

For those wondering I am aware of Blast Canceling to extend combos.

Heyt

Banned
Thanks for your impressions, kayos. About the blast gauge... you say it has no great usage. You mean that you don't see yourself using it very often, not even to do make combos with more than 4 artes on them?

kayos90

Limitation of 4 artes? Does that mean you don't have access to Right Stick shortcuts and there's no Artes Ball?

No Artes ball at the point where I'm at and the right stick is used for strategy shortcuts. It's actually pretty helpful.

Thanks for your impressions, kayos. About the blast gauge... you say it has no great usage. You mean that you don't see yourself using it very often, not even to do make combos with more than 4 artes on them?

The Blast Gauge has very limited use at the point where I'm at and to be honest it's not easy to build up either. I have to either use it for Kamui, which in my opinion is way more useful than extending combos. I mean... in theory the ideas for having your Blast Gauge as an extra resource to manage is great but... execution is lacking.

Heyt

Banned
Blast is hard to build up? I thought reading there was some early skill that would give you +1 if you guarded still for 2 seconds or something like that.

But now that I think about it I know very little about BG... could anyone with the game explain how you can gain and expend this resource?

Rpgmonkey

A part of me is kinda surprised at the pretty positive reaction to the characters. Alongside the music that's one of the things I've seen people consistently speak of positively about the game.

Anyone else imported from Amiami and haven't received their package? I still haven't received mine and the status hasn't updated for 8 days now. Packages usually arrive in 3-4 days for me via EMS so this is a first...

That's my exact situation, EMS has never taken this long. I'm assuming it got caught up in customs or something and no one's bothered to scan and update its location.

I made the thread for this game and I still have yet to even have it in my possession, much less play it. Oh well.

jae

Finished it last night.

I'm sludging through the post game dungeon. It's bland and boring, straight paths through trash mobs with a shit ton of HP and gangs of casters that can't be interrupted. I already holy bottled my way through the last dungeon, so it is safe to safe I am way over the combat.

The kamui system is kinda lame. It's flashy and cool looking, but the fact that you have 2 characters that can do it at will with no time restriction makes it feel less special than it should feel. Maybe if it was just Sorey, or if your time in kamui form was limited to how much BG you consume at the time of transforming, or something. Instead its just change to water kamui and spam the ranged combo while Rose gets her shit pushed in trying to fight up close because mobs have 7000 attack power. Not much different from blah blah blah Tidal Wave, I guess.

That said, I did enjoy the game a good bit more than any Tales since Vesperia, and possibly all the way back to Rebirth. The cast was good to great, Edna is the best. The story was interesting, and ventured into some darker places than the usual Tales fare.There were a lot of optional places to explore, and between the stone monuments, discoveries, and norumin there was good reason to search every spot.

The skill system will be the other sore spot. Don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Hopefully the inevitable ps4 version adds the option to either take skills from a maxed piece of gear, or to pay gald/grade to a norumin to get their skill.

Speaking of, does anyone have any idea how these unsigned weapons work? You can combine the base piece with any other piece of the same time (Henahena Sword can be combined with any other sword, etc). I upgraded them all to +10 and got the blessing skill thing, but I have no idea what to do next. Is there even a next? Got this +20 weapon with a good skill load but 10 attack power.

I didn"t get it from Amiami but my copy is also in Limbo right now :( I didn't get a mail the day before yesterday nor yesterday from Amazon to say my package is in my country's mail system like I did for other purchases D:
So I should get that mail Monday I'd say, and it should then take 3 days to get to me. Hopefully by Wednesday/Thursday I should get it and post some pictures.

That wait is killing me even though I know I'll have to work quite a bit before AND after I receive it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game is better than expected so far. Combat's decent, and I'm digging it even though I don't have a lot of artes to spare. Opening part of the game is interesting (didn't watch the OVA so pls no spoilers... I don't even know who the other characters are in the game outside of maybe like 2-4 people now-- and 1 person is because I got a keychain and asked who it was. I am really going into this one blind, so I hope I'll be a little impartial). I didn't get to the OP song yet. Intro part of the soundtrack is leaps and bounds decent; really enjoying parts of it. Hope it gets better later on.

The camera sucks in dungeons when you're unintentionally hugging a wall even on the highest x/y axes (so I feel like in these cases, the arena should've been separate -- someone in beta testing should've seen that coming, but oh well; if they want to keep doing this sort of thing and it's an interesting enough thing, this is just feedback for the future, I guess). Even then, I like seeing what other people in the party are doing so I can set up a longer combo string, so even on the highest X/Y axes, sometimes I can't see what my spellcasters are doing when I'm aggroing an enemy away, and that kinda bothers me (for new folks, I generally play Tales games like a character action game or fighter, so that's why stuff like this is important to me; if it isn't important to you, disregard because otherwise it's fine). Haven't gotten to a point where the framerate drops as I've heard, so we'll see how that goes. The only reason why I'm still in the intro part and haven't seen the OP yet is because I tend to dick around for a while during my first playthroughs of Tales games and get used to everything even though I may not have everything at a certain point (like, the intros for Tales games are really bad for my times). It's why my Tales hours are generally longer than everyone else's in an import thread, lol.

Hard mode is all right enough so far wrt balancing so I don't think I'll be playing on lower difficulties (but I don't usually do that so it doesn't matter; but in this case, it feels like some systems wouldn't shine if you do play it on lower difficulties just like Graces). It feels nice to be playing an Udo game again, at least. I know what he's going for in his games anyway. No artes ball is really disappointing, though! Dunno why that happened because it feels like a step back compared to the previous two games.

Interesting to me that costumes gets its own submenu. Sorey's gonna have a Yuri doll on his shoulder 24/7/365 cuz that's the way he seems to roll. I like Sorey; he seems cool.

That's it. I keep getting busy and can't play on my PSSpaceHeater 3 as much. I might play a little bit more later tonight if I don't decide to get some work done/don't decide to play Legend of Legacy tonight because it's too cold here and I don't wanna get up and sit in a cold chair to play something, lol.

kayos90

This game is better than expected so far. Combat's decent, and I'm digging it even though I don't have a lot of artes to spare. Opening part of the game is interesting (didn't watch the OVA so pls no spoilers... I don't even know who the other characters are in the game outside of maybe like 2-4 people now-- and 1 person is because I got a keychain and asked who it was. I am really going into this one blind, so I hope I'll be a little impartial). I didn't get to the OP song yet. Intro part of the soundtrack is leaps and bounds decent; really enjoying parts of it. Hope it gets better later on.

The camera sucks in dungeons when you're unintentionally hugging a wall even on the highest x/y axes (so I feel like in these cases, the arena should've been separate -- someone in beta testing should've seen that coming, but oh well; if they want to keep doing this sort of thing and it's an interesting enough thing, this is just feedback for the future, I guess). Even then, I like seeing what other people in the party are doing so I can set up a longer combo string, so even on the highest X/Y axes, sometimes I can't see what my spellcasters are doing when I'm aggroing an enemy away, and that kinda bothers me (for new folks, I generally play Tales games like a character action game or fighter, so that's why stuff like this is important to me; if it isn't important to you, disregard because otherwise it's fine). Haven't gotten to a point where the framerate drops as I've heard, so we'll see how that goes. The only reason why I'm still in the intro part and haven't seen the OP yet is because I tend to dick around for a while during my first playthroughs of Tales games and get used to everything even though I may not have everything at a certain point (like, the intros for Tales games are really bad for my times). It's why my Tales hours are generally longer than everyone else's in an import thread, lol.

Hard mode is all right enough so far wrt balancing so I don't think I'll be playing on lower difficulties (but I don't usually do that so it doesn't matter; but in this case, it feels like some systems wouldn't shine if you do play it on lower difficulties just like Graces). It feels nice to be playing an Udo game again, at least. I know what he's going for in his games anyway. No artes ball is really disappointing, though! Dunno why that happened because it feels like a step back compared to the previous two games.

Interesting to me that costumes gets its own submenu. Sorey's gonna have a Yuri doll on his shoulder 24/7/365 cuz that's the way he seems to roll. I like Sorey; he seems cool.

That's it. I keep getting busy and can't play on my PSSpaceHeater 3 as much. I might play a little bit more later tonight if I don't decide to get some work done/don't decide to play Legend of Legacy tonight because it's too cold here and I don't wanna get up and sit in a cold chair to play something, lol.

Get ready. Hard mode is goign to hit you like a fucking truck.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
"I ain't no scrub. I ain't got time for no scrub-tier, bruh." is what I was saying before Aeana told me about hard mode's caveat.

why would you do this to me

RSr8aMB.png

I guess it's to place more emphasis on the auxiliary upgrade/equipment system that the game has. If you're going to play hard, get less XP, but upgrading will save your butt? Ehhhh... We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
kayos this is all your fault

Edit: Played a bit more. OP isn't too bad. *shrug* Lots of people seemed to be equating it to VS/Twin Brave-tier and this is way better than that.

kayos90

Edit: Played a bit more. OP isn't too bad. *shrug* Lots of people seemed to be equating it to VS/Twin Brave-tier and this is way better than that.

I bitched too much about design design design and this is what I get. The gaming deities are trying to smite me.

Are people hating on the OP itself or the song? Cause even if they were bad games, the OP song in VS/Twin Brave was pretty good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seemed like both to me! I stay out of Tales circles in general these days, but lots of folks seemed to have been saying stuff about either/and/or. I'll tell you what, it's super-hard to avoid spoilers for even JP/import Tales in general these days and avoiding stuff about the OP was pretty difficult!

VS/Twin Brave hit a sore spot for me in general, so I just lump everything about 'em in with the bad. Those games are zzzz-city.

I bitched too much about design design design and this is what I get. The gaming deities are trying to smite me.
I blame you for the death of multiplayer too. That's the one thing I'm not looking forward to trying out with someone soon. The camera issues even in SP are a bummer. -_-

I definitely hate the OP!
Singer sounds like she's shouting/mixing is pretty bad/she has weird vocal colour but the instrumental portion is fine.

People were saying it's like the worst thing, but compared to the last Tales OP I saw (Asteria's), I feel like this is more fun overall. Eh, it's like the thing you skip through when you're starting the game up anyway and you see it like once so who cares.

Aeana

I don't like anything about the song, personally. But apparently I'm weird because I like the Destiny OP song, and when I mentioned that before, a bunch of people told me it was terrible.

I usually like to listen to Tales OP songs when I start the game up. Over the course of a playthrough of a Tales game, I probably listen to the OP songs like 20ish times.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't like anything about the song, personally. But apparently I'm weird because I like the Destiny OP song, and when I mentioned that before, a bunch of people told me it was terrible.

I usually like to listen to Tales OP songs when I start the game up. Over the course of a playthrough of a Tales game, I probably listen to the OP songs like 20ish times.
I can't. I just skip through it and the most I'll watch the OP while playing the game is probably 3-4 times.

ToD's OP song is fine, though. DEEN's good. Didn't realize people didn't like that one.

As long as it's not as bad as Phantasia's OP, I don't care.
are we talking about the sfc one?

Because don't get me started on how technologically interesting the implementation of the OP song itself is for a 1995 game on the SFC.

kayos90

I can't. I just skip through it and the most I'll watch the OP while playing the game is probably 3-4 times.

ToD's OP song is fine, though. DEEN's good. Didn't realize people didn't like that one.

are we talking about the sfc one?

Because don't get me started on how technologically interesting the implementation of the OP song itself is for a 1995 game on the SFC.

The music still sucks.

I love the Zestria OP.

It's on Repeat a good chunk of the day since a week for me :D
I'll keep doing that until it's finally in my hands next week.

I got a question regarding nushi blessings: are they
zone-specific? (like if you get one zone at level 19 and one at level 25 (max) then if you're in the level 25's zone you'll get all blessings but once you step into the level 19's territory, you'll miss out on lvl20-25 blessings)

I read there are 25 levels per nushi, totalling at exactly 30.000 GRADE to max one...meaning I'd need to farm 210.000 GRADE to have them all at maximum level :D Oh boy...

3Kaze

I got a question regarding nushi blessings: are they
zone-specific? (like if you get one zone at level 19 and one at level 25 (max) then if you're in the level 25's zone you'll get all blessings but once you step into the level 19's territory, you'll miss out on lvl20-25 blessings)

I read there are 25 levels per nushi, totalling at exactly 30.000 GRADE to max one...meaning I'd need to farm 210.000 GRADE to have them all at maximum level :D Oh boy...

It would make sense if they are because you have to set blessings for each zone.

Btw, does anyone know what are the requirements for Kamui Hiougi? I equipped the battle act Banish Chain and am holding O+R2 before Banish Blast hit the enemy and it's doing nothing.
I reached
the fire trial dungeon
in the story, and I must say that Go Shiina track is pretty amazing. It reminds of his work on Legendia.
Edit : Nevermind, my characters didn't learn that yet lol.

Hmmmm no plans for a ps4 version, looking for the next game to be on ps4 though, hope namco eu port it themselves like I hear they did with that shonen jump fighting game

Abyssal Chronicles has an article with Hideo Baba discussing Zestiria and its complaints (sorta)
http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1364

Spoilers obviously, so don't click it if you're afraid of getting spoiled.

So ....
6.) Why dive into a new engine when the previous one would be more stable?
- We needed to bring a new evolutionary game. We could have worked with the previous engine since it would be more stable, but it wouldn't be innovative. This time, we focused more on aesthetics and the visual environment to enhance scenes. Players will notice the difference especially during events. Like in the Uncharted series, we wanted players to feel immersed into the game as if watching a movie. This is how we wanted to show our "passion" for the 20th anniversary title.

This is a new engine ? sorry but it feels like the xillia engine modified.

I guess the difference is the lack of black screen before watching a cutscene ????

kayos90

I can see how Zestiria is a new engine. I can also probably guess that the engine was more or less optimized for a higher spec machine (PS4) and this is why Zestiria PS3 runs 30FPS in battles instead of the usual 60FPS. Though... I guess you can make the argument that due to the seamless transition they decided to standardize on 30FPS across the board....

Hmmmm no plans for a ps4 version, looking for the next game to be on ps4 though, hope namco eu port it themselves like I hear they did with that shonen jump fighting game
I really hope so too. I'd accept this only being on PS3, but it would be such a shame. Given what they say here about the lack of resources they had to make this game, I'm a little worried they really might literally not be able to devote the necessary resources for even a quick and easy port job. I wouldn't otherwise think that it could possibly be too much of a development load, but from what they are saying this game barely even finished development on PS3. It comes off like they are expecting even more downsizing. :(
The reality is they're not going to announce it this moment considering it just launched.
I would be very happy if it was simply PR talk. I'm worried that it isn't though, and that Namco Bandai may realize a PS3 only release in the US would be sending the game out to die, but they just can't afford spending any more money making changes to the game.

Can anyone elaborate on the apparent port job darkmark said Namco EU did? Is that a viable option now for Zestiria? It seems more necessary to make a flag ship title like Zestiria cross gen, but do people believe Namco is incapable of doing this now?

So ....

This is a new engine ? sorry but it feels like the xillia engine modified.

I guess the difference is the lack of black screen before watching a cutscene ????

And seamless battles. And big open areas. And probably tons of other under the hood stuff. I don't disagree the graphical presentation looks somewhat similar, but game engines are sometimes surprisingly inflexible from what I hear. It's not much of a surprise it was necessary to make a mostly new engine for this game. I just hope they didn't over-spend and make it impossible to afford a PS4 version.

Edit:

I can see how Zestiria is a new engine. I can also probably guess that the engine was more or less optimized for a higher spec machine (PS4) and this is why Zestiria PS3 runs 30FPS in battles instead of the usual 60FPS. Though... I guess you can make the argument that due to the seamless transition they decided to standardize on 30FPS across the board....

So you really think they could be straight lying about it being a new engine designed for the PS3, and that right now we are getting the downport, with the "real" edition being held onto for later?

Despite how that usually would be interpreted as disingenuous to their consumers, I'd be relieved. But I'm really no sure. The way they talk about the engine doesn't come off the same way as developers talked about cross gen engines before the new consoles were announced. For example, Konami and Kojipro always talked about FOX engine in such a way as to imply it was capable of much more than the original consoles it was announced for were able to handle. It wasn't nearly as worrying considering the possibility that there would never be a next gen port, since there was always a subtext of "well, it can do better than this". I'm not sure about this engine for Zestiria though. I'm sure it can be ported to PS4, but I'm not sure whether it was always designed with more in mind like 60 fps throughout you know?

Soriku

So what the PR guy said a couple months ago about Zestiria using a new engine was correct.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123575486&postcount=162

So many have noticed that Tales of Zestiria uses a similar Graphic style to Xillia, is it the same graphics engine, and what makes the team choose one graphic style (like xillia's) over others (like Vesperia's)

Answer: That's actually a really good question. I don't know all of the exact details, but I know that the Zestiria Engine is an all new engine. It isn't like an edited version of the Xillia engine or anything like that, what they do is when they're in the concept stages, they have the people who work on the different character designs and things like that come up with these great things that they have to show, and if the team likes it, thats what they go with. As far as the game looking similar to Xillia, that might just be something that was done because the fans like how it looks, but usually after using the same art style for the games after 2 or 3 titles, the dev team looks for different ways to change it or make sure that it remains fresh.

dramatis

I would be very happy if it was simply PR talk. I'm worried that it isn't though, and that Namco Bandai may realize a PS3 only release in the US would be sending the game out to die, but they just can't afford spending any more money making changes to the game.
Baba mentions that the development team has become smaller, so it's probably possible that they don't have the manpower to do a port to a new console while simultaneously developing the next Tales title.

Shouta

OP song definitely sucks. Superfly can do way better so I blame whoever gave wrote it or gave her direction for it. >=(

Finally can get back to it today though. I had a friend over the last two days and I couldn't sit down and play.

Can anyone elaborate on the apparent port job darkmark said Namco EU did? Is that a viable option now for Zestiria? It seems more necessary to make a flag ship title like Zestiria cross gen, but do people believe Namco is incapable of doing this

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...rs-victory-vs-to-include-japanese-voice-overs

Heres a link about the game, I heard it was only a ps3 and vita game previously, I could be wrong but I hope namco realise this would sell on ps4 aswell

Datschge

Baba never ever said anything true about development beyond what's already being sold or officially announced. The talk about the development team becoming smaller is hilarious considering BN Studios has 1000+ employees and Zestiria has a really extensive amount of contracted external companies. Management being worse at BN Studios than at Tales Studio wouldn't surprise me though. *smugface*

kayos90

K. I got
Rose
and the combat got better by a lot. Still problematic in many ways but now it's fun to fight against mobs again.

Bebpo

Banned
I walked onto a field while exploring and found the boss of the game hanging out there. Walked into him and a fight started and he one shotted my whole team ;_;

I definitely enjoy the freedom parts of the game. I think this is probably one of the most non-linear Tales yet. It's still totally linear but there's a bunch of optional dungeons and stuff you can wander into and do, which is cool. I think my only real complaint is that the fields are too big and empty. They're still decent and the scale and world building is nice, but they could definitely have been tighter like Xenoblade areas.

Fisico

Abyssal Chronicles has an article with Hideo Baba discussing Zestiria and its complaints (sorta)
http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1364

Spoilers obviously, so don't click it if you're afraid of getting spoiled.

Welp, since I'm past the middle of the game I thought I was safe and it was just gonna be about the
Alisha
shitstorm and maybe some others minor stuff, but right at the beginning they juste spoiled a detail regarding the very end of the game.

And it's something published right on the homepage, like you could see it just randomly visiting the website and scrolling down...
This is mind boggling that we reached a stage where we can casually read spoilers regarding this matter even there to me.

Top Bottom